shape
carat
color
clarity

What is it with this American thing of milking?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 12:56:59 AM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

hhhaaa.. you hated the last book of Twilight? Really? I guess I thought it was so macabre like frankenstein or something, so I liked it. I won''t go on because some people may want to read it and haven''t, but I liked it.

As for Georgie boy, I guess when you put it that way its true, there are a few main characters who die
4.gif
. But I liked it and didn''t think it was manipulative. Rather, it annoys me in most series where you know if the person is a main character they will never die. It removes any of the thrill of the dangerous parts. No holds barred for him. And in that time period if you are going to run around in the woods or be a sword fighter, well the odds were pretty good you would have died. So I thought it was more realistic. Well, as realistic as you can get when their are undead and dragons and other strange things going on. But I think some of the characters are not really dead
11.gif
I am waiting for the Wench to come back.
If I thought for a second that the author had the talent or the capacity to do a social satire, even a little bit of one, like Mary Shelley did... I might have found it moderately tolerable. But... I really don''t hold that high an opinon of the author of Twilight. LOL.

About George... I can totally see the realism. And agree about the hero''s being untouchable (which is why I liked Brent Week''s series, because the untouchable part made SENSE, but the hero... well, he still lives, best of both worlds) being unrealistic and predicatble... but then again, I read fiction for the escape, and guess anything too realistic isn''t my thing. I REALLY wanted to keep reading the series, because other than the fact that he kills everyone off I really liked it A LOT. And he''s a great author. But I just couldn''t deal with it. I''m waiting for the cliff''s notes, so I can know what happens without crying every couple of hours.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just realized the irony of my post above.

My main problem with the last book of Twilight was that it was too ''perfect''... everything works out perfectly La, la, la, la. Vampires glitter in the sun like diamonds (ROFLMAO at that scene in the first movie), there is no downside to being one (no fires in the sunlight, no lost souls... nothing) just a bunch of mafioso other vampires who, as far as I can tell... have their intelligence de-evolving as they age cause the are bested by a (not to bright) girl in her teens.

So I guess I like a LITTLE realism in my books. Just not that much. Call me golidlocks. I''m a PITA.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 12:31:38 AM
I quite enjoyed the Ian Rankin Inspector Rebus novels. They are not a series per se, but are murder mysteries with the same main character and you follow him chronologically. Like CSI.

I also like the Brother Cadfael mysteries! Set in 1100''s england, my favourite historical period. Again, murder mysteries but chronological and with lots of fun things going on.

I love the Brother Cadfael mysteries! I''m happy to find someone who has read them as well!
1.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/8/2010 3:07:42 AM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

I quite enjoyed the Ian Rankin Inspector Rebus novels. They are not a series per se, but are murder mysteries with the same main character and you follow him chronologically. Like CSI.

I also like the Brother Cadfael mysteries! Set in 1100''s england, my favourite historical period. Again, murder mysteries but chronological and with lots of fun things going on.

I love the Brother Cadfael mysteries! I''m happy to find someone who has read them as well!
1.gif
Count me in as well!

I hate authors who write "trilogies" which are really one huge book divided in three. For Example, Robin''s "Liveship" books. I was really upset since the first and second book have no real ending - the author just stops writing. No resolution of anything, no satisfying conclusion of the "book" plot that leaves you wanting to read the next book to see how the bigger "trilogy" plot moves on. In contrast, Star Wars has a larger plot (the story of the rebellion against the empire, of the farmboy who becomes a Jedi and the princess and the pirate plot) but each individual movie/book has its own plot and has an ending that is satisfying.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/8/2010 1:10:32 AM
Author: Gypsy

My main problem with the last book of Twilight was that it was too ''perfect''... everything works out perfectly La, la, la, la. Vampires glitter in the sun like diamonds (ROFLMAO at that scene in the first movie), there is no downside to being one (no fires in the sunlight, no lost souls... nothing) just a bunch of mafioso other vampires who, as far as I can tell... have their intelligence de-evolving as they age cause the are bested by a (not to bright) girl in her teens.

So I guess I like a LITTLE realism in my books. Just not that much. Call me golidlocks. I''m a PITA.
Have you read her sci-fi book, The Host? It has the worst ending ever. The main character develops a certain moral dilemma along the book, which leads to the big climax. Then, when the end seems all wrapped up, Deo ex-machina shows up and everything is all right. But the moral dilema is no longer solved! But, since it no longer affects the good girl and those who love her, it is suddenly fine.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good topic. I hadn''t opened this thread because, for some reason, I thought it was about milking cows (and maybe goats). I did milk a goat in my younger days when I knew some Hippie types who had goats, but I wasn''t really interested in milking cows. I guess I just began to wonder why the thread had run to three pages ;-).

AGBF
34.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
TGal do you like British humour? Have you watched Fawlty Towers (only 12 episodes) or Father Ted (25 episodes)?

Love 30 Rock and The Wire
36.gif

Also, the BBC sci-fi/spy drama Spooks is quite good.

Delster

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy I hear you on this! All that ''oh my God I''m such a waste of space he''s obviously gone off me'' then ''oh my God he''s loved me all along and I misread the entire thing'' and then the ''oh my God I''m such a waste of space I never realised how much he loved me'' - aaaaccckk!!!!

My girlfriends just can''t understand why I''m resolutely ''team Jacob'' - it''s because he''s the only character who''s not so *&^)£*&( perfect all the time!!!

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 8:08:43 AM
Author: AGBF

Good topic. I hadn''t opened this thread because, for some reason, I thought it was about milking cows (and maybe goats). I did milk a goat in my younger days when I knew some Hippie types who had goats, but I wasn''t really interested in milking cows. I guess I just began to wonder why the thread had run to three pages ;-).

AGBF
34.gif
Hehe, my thoughts exactly! I just got up an hour later than you did, being in the midwest ;-)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 8:17:27 AM
Author: Delster
TGal do you like British humour? Have you watched Fawlty Towers (only 12 episodes) or Father Ted (25 episodes)?

Love 30 Rock and The Wire
36.gif

Also, the BBC sci-fi/spy drama Spooks is quite good.
Love British humor. Watched Fawlty Towers ages ago and owned a few of them on VHS. Never heard of Father Ted, will have to check that out too! TGuy wants to get the Brit version of Office and Fawlty Towers so I''ll buy a bunch at once.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 8:20:21 AM

Gypsy I hear you on this! All that ''oh my God I''m such a waste of space he''s obviously gone off me'' then ''oh my God he''s loved me all along and I misread the entire thing'' and then the ''oh my God I''m such a waste of space I never realised how much he loved me'' - aaaaccckk!!!!

My girlfriends just can''t understand why I''m resolutely ''team Jacob'' - it''s because he''s the only character who''s not so *&^)£*&( perfect all the time!!!
Yeah, the books suck on so many levels. But I liked them for the same reasons that I liked the Hills. some people really are that shallow and idiotic!

I was very team Jacob until I saw the first movie (I have not seen the second yet). While I still like Jacob, I totally big-puffy-heart Rob Pattison. And I really like Kristen Stewart so it made me like Bella more. As a couple they are perfect so I loved the movie. So did my husband
25.gif

I guess I accept the books and movies for what they are, crappity crap that is still really good.
41.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I meant to add, if you want a good laugh rent Twilight and watch it with the commentary. Rob and Kristin and the director comment, and they are hilarious. The stars fully see hoe idiotic the whole thing is, and neither one thinks they are particularly hot or cool, so the self-deprecating humour was hilarious.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 8:03:06 AM
Author: Lady_Disdain

Have you read her sci-fi book, The Host? It has the worst ending ever. The main character develops a certain moral dilemma along the book, which leads to the big climax. Then, when the end seems all wrapped up, Deo ex-machina shows up and everything is all right. But the moral dilema is no longer solved! But, since it no longer affects the good girl and those who love her, it is suddenly fine.

I was going to pick this up before I realized it was the same author as Twilight. I couldn''t bring myself to afterwards
3.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 7:59:41 AM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Date: 1/8/2010 3:07:42 AM

Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

1.gif

Count me in as well!

I hate authors who write ''trilogies'' which are really one huge book divided in three. For Example, Robin''s ''Liveship'' books. I was really upset since the first and second book have no real ending - the author just stops writing. No resolution of anything, no satisfying conclusion of the ''book'' plot that leaves you wanting to read the next book to see how the bigger ''trilogy'' plot moves on. In contrast, Star Wars has a larger plot (the story of the rebellion against the empire, of the farmboy who becomes a Jedi and the princess and the pirate plot) but each individual movie/book has its own plot and has an ending that is satisfying.

Woohoo! Love that series - I wish it was in Kindle format so I could carry them all around
7.gif

Umm I''m with you on the trilogies that aren''t. When I was in Tokyo I was starved for current American books and read the first two of Christopher Paolini''s Eragon series. Umm...yeah that was SUPPOSED to be a trilogy, and it was totally one book that was divided...and guess what? Apparently he had too much material so it''s going to be a four-book series instead.

Of course, I couldn''t deal with that series anyway - he straight off ripped off Star Wars, LOTR, a few other sci-fi classics (and not borrowing them for inspiration - for heaven''s sake, there was a "Luke I am your father" scene). Ugh.

Rant over
3.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, I read one of Jennifer Crusie''s books last night - Bet me (it was the only one on the list that was available for Kindle.) Nope, not for me. First 1/3 was interesting, but the rest of hard to get through. I''ll keep going through all the suggestions here though!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. Ignore all romance selection recommendations. Like the plague. Not the Bet me is fantastic, but it was at the least, solid, entertaining and cute... to someone who would like the genre. Romance isn't for you babe. Good, mediocre or bad.
2.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 8:20:21 AM

LOL. I wasn''t team anyone by the end. I just wanted to get several hours of my life back. LOL. And the only thing I kept thinking was: why yes, you are a waste of space.
2.gif
Did I mention I pretty much hated the series. Sorry, for those who did like it. Not my thing. And I like romance, fantasy AND young adult fiction as a rule.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 11:04:39 PM
Okay. Ignore all romance selection recommendations. Like the plague. Not the Bet me is fantastic, but it was at the least, solid, entertaining and cute... to someone who would like the genre. Romance isn''t for you babe. Good, mediocre or bad.
2.gif
I used to love romance, but I guess now I''m too practical? I''ll try a few others though. I still like chick lit...that usually is romantic right? I do agree that Bet Me was cute...just a little too cute for me.
5.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
btw, I also decided to read Bourne''s spymaster lady. It definitely wasn''t as bad as most historical romances...but, I didn''t like that one either.

I guess my problem with romances is that people get all hot and heavy over nothing cerebral...he''s hot, she''s hot, they fight, they have sex, they fight, they have sex, they''re in love, the end.

But I agree that if you like the genre, Bourne''s book is better than most. At least it wasn''t overwhelmingly cheesy.

I''m going to switch gears and try a different genre...........

And I agree (and I think I''ve said this already)...Twilight is ugh. I wanted to read the series, I really did. But how can one get through that writing??

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 1:38:30 AM
Author: TravelingGal

Okay. Ignore all romance selection recommendations. Like the plague. Not the Bet me is fantastic, but it was at the least, solid, entertaining and cute... to someone who would like the genre. Romance isn't for you babe. Good, mediocre or bad.
2.gif
I used to love romance, but I guess now I'm too practical? I'll try a few others though. I still like chick lit...that usually is romantic right? I do agree that Bet Me was cute...just a little too cute for me.
5.gif
Well, Bet Me is supposed to be based on fairy tales-- a modern day fairytale. So there is a definite inclination toward cheese.

As for chick lit. Well, yes there is some romance. But if you are looking deep meaningful connections with romantic counterparts, not so much. Chick lit is more about women finding themselves and having a 'love affair' with self discovery... so the guys aren't usually that fleshed out. They are more... accessories in the stories. Maybe a vehicle for self discovery (which is kinda what the guy in Bet Me is). But certainly they usually aren't incredibly deep. Think Bridget Jones. None the guys are really... 3D. And I certainly couldn't figure out why they were interested in her... beyond the easy piece of tail thing. As for her interest in them... um, yeah.

As for romance. I will have to try Bournes book. I still haven't made to the bookstore to do anything other than work and connect with a friend. But I'm thinking even the best romance isn't going to do it for you. There is in inevitable trend toward idealism and suspension of disbelief that well, may just not be where you are anymore. It is at times easier to believe in Zombies and vampires than it is to believe in love at first sight.
2.gif
I wouldn't read Loretta Chase if I were you. Maybe Kleypas's Dreaming of You but... well, it's a romance about a guy who is danger dramatisized and a woman who is spunky... and is attracted to danger more than is healthy for her. So... some cheese in the basic premise. Granted its the Best execution of a cheesey premise. But the premise is still there, and I think that's what you have an issue with. If you strip romance down... you usually don't find a ton of substance. Most plot lines are simple... and the ones that aren't are usually quite terrible, frankly. Or, they are a different genre.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 2:09:57 AM

Date: 1/9/2010 1:38:30 AM
Author: TravelingGal

Okay. Ignore all romance selection recommendations. Like the plague. Not the Bet me is fantastic, but it was at the least, solid, entertaining and cute... to someone who would like the genre. Romance isn''t for you babe. Good, mediocre or bad.
2.gif
I used to love romance, but I guess now I''m too practical? I''ll try a few others though. I still like chick lit...that usually is romantic right? I do agree that Bet Me was cute...just a little too cute for me.
5.gif
Well, Bet Me is supposed to be based on fairy tales-- a modern day fairytale. So there is a definite inclination toward cheese.

As for chick lit. Well, yes there is some romance. But if you are looking deep meaningful connections with romantic counterparts, not so much. Chick lit is more about women finding themselves and having a ''love affair'' with self discovery... so the guys aren''t usually that fleshed out. They are more... accessories in the stories. Maybe a vehicle for self discovery (which is kinda what the guy in Bet Me is). But certainly they usually aren''t incredibly deep. Think Bridget Jones. None the guys are really... 3D. And I certainly couldn''t figure out why they were interested in her... beyond the easy piece of tail thing. As for her interest in them... um, yeah.

As for romance. I will have to try Bournes book. I still haven''t made to the bookstore to do anything other than work and connect with a friend. But I''m thinking even the best romance isn''t going to do it for you. There is in inevitable trend toward idealism and suspension of disbelief that well, may just not be where you are anymore. It is at times easier to believe in Zombies and vampires than it is to believe in love at first sight.
2.gif
I wouldn''t read Loretta Chase if I were you. Maybe Kleypas''s Dreaming of You but... well, it''s a romance about a guy who is danger dramatisized and a woman who is spunky... and is attracted to danger more than is healthy for her. So... some cheese in the basic premise. Granted its the Best execution of a cheesey premise. But the premise is still there, and I think that''s what you have an issue with. If you strip romance down... you usually don''t find a ton of substance. Most plot lines are simple... and the ones that aren''t are usually quite terrible, frankly. Or, they are a different genre.
True. And Gypsy, you need a Kindle, girlfriend.
2.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nah... I''m a paper gal. Just like the feel. But I do get an ebook occassionally. They usually end up being quite bad, so I''m glad they aren''t cluttering up space in my place... and it gives me an odd thrill to hit "delete'' on them, without feeling like I''m ''burning'' a book.
27.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
For those who have mentioned it being too long... LOST was only supposed to go for 4 seasons. That was the writers'' (also producers) choice. The network pushed them to extend, yes "milk," and that''s when it got crazy. I found that so disappointing... because it really lost its footing as a story in the end because of that. I still watch and still appreciate it, but the extension came close to ruining a very, very good thing for me.

Battlestar Galactica is my all-time favorite show. I''m actually watching it in the background right now. I''m working on my third time through the series, and each time I focus on a different corner. It''s brilliant. I can''t sing its praises enough.

Dexter comes in a close second, though with that one there''s no planned arc going in the way the others have/had. It''s more an exploration of character than a tangible story. I''m sure they''ll find a good arc as they meander their way through, but it''s definitely a different feel than a show like BSG has, with a very clear arc. More stream-of-consciousness than edited essay.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey T-gal. I'm liking this thread, btw. It's forcing me to (*gasp*) think. And I don't do that very much anymore, I'm realizing. I miss school sometimes I really do.

If you really want to give romance another try you can try Keegan's Lady by Catherine Anderson, it has more substance than both. But the herione is a rape and child abuse victim (hence substance) so, not everyone's cup of tea. Certainly isn't mine usually, but the book is pretty sensitive.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, out of curiosity, I read Dreaming of You last night (well, I''m almost done with it at least) and yes, while cheesy, for some reason THAT book was OK for me. At least it wasn''t painful to get through.

So I guess I can read cheesy romance after all.
9.gif

I''d like to read some of the sci-fi, fantasy stuff recommended here, but I have never been interested in the genre. Hopefully, the sample chapters I get will be engrossing enough to draw me in. That''s the best thing about the Kindle...it allows you to dabble in stuff to which you normally wouldn''t pay any attention. I''m getting into mysteries, so I''ll check some of those out too.

Honestly, now that I''ve had the Kindle for a month, I think Amazon should give it away for free. (or a hell of a lot cheaper) They would make so much on books!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results