shape
carat
color
clarity

What is important to you as an internet shopper?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wanted to say im not bad mouthing Jonathan/gog iv mentioned it to him before also.
He is a good guy and a great vendor his site just needs a little work :}

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
also while GOG's site is very informative etc...they really need to pay to get a real web designer in there. I think Rhino does the work himself, which is awesome but he's not a designer or an expert nor do I think he really has the time to devote to getting it to where it needs to be. it's cool to start out that way with something, but at some point you need to get expert help in and have them work their magic, it helps your site look much more professional, something that i think is required for a consumer when you are spending thousands of dollars. the look and feel of a site inspires something in a consumer, either confidence or confusion and which do you want when they are considering a large sale?

i feel somewhat the same way with NiceIce...their site also could use a serious overhaul, nixing all of that tedious navigation on the left nav and creating some sub-structures so it is not all single level. their way to view stones also is a little odd on the eyes in that horizontal chart fashion, sometimes i think i am looking at one stone but my eye wandered to the other line and then ay carumba, wrong crown angle. from there it's confusion.

nowdays web design is not as pricey as it has been in the past, nor do you have to pay out the nose to get a decent look. find a local design school or college where they have design and web classes and get a few students who are in their final year or similar. they can test out new things and their skills and earn a few bucks.

my two cents.
2.gif
i personally like the general layout of WF's site and also SC is pretty nice as well in terms of easily able to navigate. as long as the info is there for consumers to see easily, without alot of confusing navigation...it's simple for the consumer to find what they need. redundancy can be helpful in design...put a very important link (e.g. search for diamonds) not only in one place but possibly in top static navigation and spread throughout the site, make it simple for the surfer to find it. don't throw too many colors in, white backgrounds and simple links are the preferred visual most surfers choose over flashy items, and showcase your product above all else when it comes to graphics and what you choose to place where.

i could go on for days on what makes a good website from studies i have seen and been part of...but alot of it is really common sense and if you have a good designer and project manager, you're in great hands!
1.gif

oh and disclaimer! i adore J as well as R/T...and hope my comments can be taken as consumer constructive critique from someone who also is in the internet and ecommerce industry.
1.gif
12.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I like DI's site too, I just wish they listed fluorescence in the search results...
2.gif
That's one reason I really like DCD's signature listing. I realize I may be in a minority looking for that particular piece of info up front. I actually really like the PS stock search because I can tell right off the bat if I'm interested in a stone based on its angles and fluor... Only thing missing there is diameter, but I guess there's only so much you can fit on a page!
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I agree that NiceIce's table format is the perfect compromise between Jonathan's format and a search engine. It's not a pretty site, though. I think even before the advertising blitz, one of the reasons consumers flocked to Blue Nile was because it *looked* like their concept of what a jeweler should be. And it really isn't that difficult. It's amazing what using a few photos, shaded colors, *complimentary* colors, and an uncluttered layout will do.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
1) To know that what I think I am buying is really what Im buying
2) To know Im not getting jipped on price
3) quality has to be superior
4) documented proof of quality.

jbeef86

Rough_Rock
Wow, this is an excellent post and I am very glad I stumbled across this forum. I have been working on a website for a jewelry store in San Francisco for over a year now and it hasn't been easy. We have 3 stores and are now trying to branch out to the internet like so many others. When I first arrived on the scene there was already a website in place with old pictures, old inventory and terrible navigation. The background for the site was black (which is horrible for photographing/displaying jewelry & gems...just my opinion). The first thing I wanted to do was redo all the pictures and update the inventory. Pictures of every item need to be top-notch if you ask me. I hate going to sites especially jewelry and seeing horrible picts of very pretty items. I thought this would be easy to do but let me tell you it isn't. I have been doing it for a year and a half and I am still learning. If I go across my site I can see the difference in pictures that I took when I first started and pictures that I took recently. It may be easier for you to hire someone to take the pictures and edit them in photoshop than for you to try doing it yourself. If you were local I would be more than willing to help you out in that aspect but if you have any questions feel free to ask and I will try to help. We ended up redoing our whole site last Holiday Season and I was able to get the changes that I wanted. New color schemes, easier navigation, good web reporting and just a much better "feeling" website. On a production side I would say you have to make sure that your site has been optimized for search engines. This is not easy but it's a very important part to being successful. Everyone uses these engines and how else can you be found unless you spend tons on advertising.

Everyone that has replied to this topic has given great feedback and details and I hope I can somehow use it. I would have never even considered some of the things that are being said as "required" for a site they purchase from. Our site is kind of limited in the amount of information that we can enter and post for any given item. As far as our loose diamonds we have those generic same pictures for each stone that everyone seems to dislike. At least we have the scanned copy of the cert but that's really about it. I will look into this because from what I have read here, having a picture of the actual diamond is a big factor and just having the certificate doesn't cut it. This can be extremely time consuming but from what you all are saying it seems very much worth it.

Sorry if I have gone in a bunch of different directions and a little off topic in this post. Whatever I thought could possibly be helpful for Wink based on my experience I just had to blurt out.

P.S. I love Flash.....but not on sites where I am "shopping". Doesn't make too much sense to have all that flash when all you are looking for needs to be plainly stated with the required information.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey man, welcome to the party! This thread is supposed to be for every one, not just me, so it is nice to have another vendor chiming in!

You will like it here, every one is very helpful as long as you are respectful to them too, and I would guess from your first post that you will be very welcome here.

I agree with you, good pictures are not easy. Have you found a good way to get the chromium colored stones, ruby, emerald, et el to show up well? If so I hope you are in a sharing mood!

Wink

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Wink- tell ya what... I'll trade ya some free photography of pretty rocks for... ummmm.... how about a diamond pendant?!?!
3.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, I am going to need about two thousand photographs over the next six months, that should just about cover a nice diamond pendant. Send me samples...

Wink

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
A) Current state of the art & B) Generally

A) I especially find I like both Dirt Cheap Diamonds and White Flash.

Although I found DCD coincidentally first, since they are closest geographically to me, I like them best for their simple presentation -- the design of it. (The tone is another thing, however, as a site like Blue Nile seems attractively brighter somehow, maybe more fresh?). They allow you to do a simple, constraint (!) based search (same as Pricescope's search!), which searches comprehensively over all their databases...unless you wish to only look at their hand picked diamonds in their signature series, which you can select to do, too. Then, they array different categories as you may like to see them, signature, ideal, premium, average, so you contextualize your choice (i.e., even if you know you want only ideal or signature, you can see what premium your paying for your choice).

White Flash also incorporates the categories, but their you have to search the databases separately, which is an inconvenience. What they seem to do very favorably, however, is bring in-house many diamonds they call value, which is great. Consequently, they can report on their crown & pavillion angles, saving you a lot of time, and you and the vendor effort to bring them in house (if that's the route you're going). You can run the HCA scores right off the website on these, before you pick up the phone. Hard to beat!

B) Generally, vendors should help to minimize the buyers time wherever possible, and assist in reducing handoffs where possible

1) You go to the internet to get value, and generally, this succeeds
2) Ditto, the internet affords the potential for taking control of your decisions, managing your choices based on the factors you think are important, versus depending on a jeweler who you may or may not be able to trust. Ideally, elements of this can work together, and see above under (A) for good examples of both design and the vendor's effort/investment that pay off here.
3) you want to not have to spend extra time, where it is not necessary. If a Vendor can help to make it a womb to tomb process, where you can first buy a diamond, then a ring, have them put the two together without fear of problems (DCD??!!), help negotiate with the appraiser, etc., this helps. Perhaps Blue Nile, with their inclusion of Chubb insurance, does the best of this. But the principal is the point.
4) The current program that many vendors have, of allowing the diamond to be sent for consideration to an appraiser for viewing first, is a savvy move, and helpful indeed.
5) Participation on this Pricescope forum. Pricescope has become a valuable resource for the purchase decision. And, it allows the buyer to -- in the case of a possible relationship with an appraiser, for example -- get to know who you may be able to get to work with very well (if you are able to work with one of the two appraisers who post here regularly). So, vendors posting here likewise gives you the opportunity to sort of develop a relationship with them as well, and where you can get to know how they think, etc.

Thanks for asking!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Chiming in at the 11th hour with my (humble!) 2 cents...

Wink, thanks for giving us, as consumers, a chance to give our input! xoxox!
2.gif

I too LOVE "free shipping". I realize that the cost of shipping is probably reflected in the actual price of the stone, but there's just something ***nice*** about seeing that price and knowing it's the total "bottom line" price! No other charges to mentally add on.

I also love a websight that is easy to navigate, and I want as much info about a stone as possible. No info is too much info when you are spending literally thousands of dollars.

I truly appreciate a vendor's total honesty... even if it means saying, "This stone is NOT eye-clean..." etc. VALUABLE,COMMENDABLE customer service at its finest. Thank you!

Oh, and unless I missed it, this wasn't mentioned earlier... I really like being able to use my charge card! Most consumers get frequent flyer miles cash-back bonuses, or some other "perk" for using their credit cards, and that can be significant, especially with a large purchase. Please note that I WOULD NOT discount a vendor because they didn't offer credit card payment, I'm just saying that to me, it's a nice perk.

Also, as mentioned above -- fast, friendly responses to questions... and lots of patience for customers like me with 10,000 questions!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

GREAT thread, Wink!

Lynn

Jenn

Rough_Rock
="padding-bottom:0;marginTop:0;marginBottom:0;">----------------
On 7/8/2004 12:57:18 AM Mara wrote:

also while GOG's site is very informative etc...they really need to pay to get a real web designer in there.
----------------[/quote]

Mara, I agree with you totally. To be honest, that was one of the reasons I did not buy from GOG. As a professional web designer, their site is just plain awful and if they can't afford a professionally designed site, then it makes me wonder a teeny bit about their whole operation...sad statement about what seems to be a wonderful company, but true (speaking of which, I'd be more than happy to barter my design services for their diamonds, teehee!). When you are spending thousands and thousands of dollars on a diamond sight unseen, you want to have the *utmost* confidence in the company you are purchasing from. Sadly, GOG's site does not inspire this confidence.

What an interesting thread!!

Jenn

Rough_Rock
What is important to me as an internet shopper?

1. Having lots of pictures, test results, etc. of the diamond readily available on the site, without having to email the company to ask for them. I HATE the fact that WF does not have enlarged pics of the diamonds included in their site. Drives me crazy. I did not buy my e-ring diamond from them because of this--I didn't feel like emailing them a billion times to ask for different pics.

2. Having a professional site (see my reply above for more details about that).

3. Good testimonials from consumers on diamond message boards.

4. REALLY fast response time when corresponding via email.

5. Good refund policy.

6. Competitive bottom line price (I don't care if they have free shipping or not, I just want a competitive price at the end of the day).

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OOOPS, forgot to add...

A 30 day return policy is a MUST. I personally just don't think 10 days is long enough... a diamond is a HUGE purchase and I wanted to observe my stone in ALL lighting situations, many times. And sad but true, but sometimes the sun doesn't shine in NW PA for 10 days in a row!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6.gif

Lynn

glitz&glam

Rough_Rock
Dear aljdewey,

Just wanted to say congratulations on your recent marriage!! I'm glad you were able to get the ring finished in time for the big day. May you and your husband enjoy many years of health and happiness.
21.gif
9.gif
appl.gif

jbeef86

Rough_Rock
Hello Wink,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

Here is the setup I use.
1)Canon PowerShot A60 with many differently step up/close up/macro lenses $250 but I think its less now
2)Cloud Dome $20 but I got a deal on an open box version
3)Normal Desklamps with normal bulbs but 100 watts each $10 each
4)A nice white background $$??? I use things I found in the office
5)Adobe Photoshop to edit post picts $depends where u get it

My setup is extremely generic but it works because I have done substantial research into digital photography and lighting. There are tons of websites out there that have that available. I purchased every single item here for myself so when I leave this place I can still have the ability to do this maybe as side work because I really do like photography. Thats why its not the best equipment but it does the job.

I chose the Canon line of cameras because I heard really good things about them and they have the ability to use add-on lenses to get really close shots. Canon has since released their Rebel EOS Digital for $1000 which I also heard is a great camera also with the ability of adding lenses. I really wish I had the cash for that camera but at this time it just doesn't make sense for what I do. I dont like being stuck with lenses that you cant get any closer or further back from the object and Canons are great for that.

The Cloud Dome is like this plastic lamp shade dome thing with a hole in the middle to stick your camera lens in. You shine the lights around it and the reflections from the dome give you good lighting effects on the jewelry. Best investment I made because now I dont have as many lighting inconsistencies as I did in my earlier shots and it's easy to work with but looks funny on your head
16.gif

I was considering getting some wicked photography lights but price came into the equation. Also, I wasn't sure if it would make a huge difference so I tried my little desklamp rig and it worked fine. The only thing is that you have to have is a camera that sets the white color balance because if you dont you will get a yellowish look on all your shot because of the bulbs. Tungsten is also a camera setting that is desired.

I use Photoshop to cutout the background from the ring because I want a perfectly white background. I blowup the piece of jewelry to 200% and carefully remove the background leaving the jewelry alone to set on whatever background you wish. I then shrink down the item to fit the specific requirements for our website pictures which is alot smaller than the original pictures. From there you can add shadows or lens flares or whatever. If you ask me Photoshop is the best tool for this because there are many other options that you can use in order to make your shots look incredible.

I have taken some wicked shots of Tacori rings and Scott Kay rings with this setup. Almost as good as any of their artwork that you see in their ads.

I have taken really nice pictures of emerald, sapphire & ruby pieces along with diamonds. I have had problems with Tanzanite pieces because they always turn out bluish. I have yet to figure out why this happens. As far as rings go I have had no problems and the results have been getting much better. Wedding bands white gold and yellow gold, platinum and titanium have all turned out very good. Engagement rings with no center stones but side stones have turned out really nice. Anniversary bands and tennis bracelets also turned out nice.

Sorry for the off-topic post but the info I think may be useful to someone....maybe.....

john-

jbeef86

Rough_Rock
Hi Wink,

Here is a picture of what I have done with this cheap little setup. I used some drop shadows on the rings to give it a different look. The rings are Tacori, Scott Kay & Verragio mens bands.

Hope all is going well with the site!

John

tac-kay-verragio2.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice separations. Might I suggest making the drop shadows a little longer and have the light coming from an angle, say about 10 O'clock. It will add a little apparent depth to your already very nice photos. Try it, if you don't like it then just blame it on somebody icky and go back to your original copy.... (You do save the .psd's too don't you?)

Thanks for all the info on your light set up. One of these days I have to make mine better, there is just SO DARN MUCH to do...

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is a little example, a "little" 4ct blue diamond for a little over 2 million dollars...

Too bad the sale fell through, Darn, I HATE it when that happens!

Wink

bluediamond.jpg

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
1) a clean web site that is easy to navigate and answers all my questions. Your web site is like a B&M store. I'll eat mexican out of a hole-in-the-wall restaurant and buy my loupe set off e-bay for $25. However, when spending on the big rock, I need a local jeweler of reputation or the online equivalent.

2) More product info: good pictures, cert, sarin & ideal scope. At least for what you have in stock.

3) Return & payment policies that are clear and flexibile.

Good pricing is a requirement so I left it out of the list.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
I am repeating some of what other have said - but here is my list

1) Pre-sale inspection of loose stones
2) At least 20 day no hasle return policy (30 day better) AND no restock or other return fees
3) Life time upgrade for full price paid
4) 70% or better buyback within in a year
5) Good web site design - WF and BlueNile have good sites.
6) Sarin data on all diamonds
7) Good Selection - Small stones (less than .5) as well as larger stones. Ability to find "matched stones".
8) Same price - cash, visa, bankwire
9) Free shipping
10) PS user discounts !
11) Responsive 1-2 days on emails.
12) Memeber of BBB online and other online consumer protection/trust services
13) Price
14) Certs on all stones
15 ) Also nice if they go beyond diamonds - maybe have other precious stones - and nice jewlery selections.

Looking forward to seeing your new site Wink !

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Hi Wink,

This is a great thread. One of the things that I would have liked when I was shopping for a diamond is the ability to compare things like specs/bscopes/IS images side by side, or in separate windows that stayed open until I closed them. This would make comparison shopping a lot easier and would have reduced all the backing-and-forthing I did while trying to make a decision. While I could have printed all this stuff out, I really am not all that fond of printing out a stack of papers when they are not all that necessary.

As an aside, I really enjoy your thoughtful posts, and hope to one day purchase one of those Richard Homer stones from you. Or something else...

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's all over but the shouting now. We have requested that the old site be terminated and the new one put in its place, should be a matter of days. Much still to do, but many of the requests here have been honored.

I thank all of you for your input and we will be making major changes through the next few months, but I think you will all agree the new one is much better than the old one, after you all get to see it of course.

I hope some of the other vendors here got as much from this thread as I did, and I thank all of you who took the time to tell us what you wanted.

Wink

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink
wellll..since you ask, how about let's celebrate the launching of your new web site by givin out a FREE .50 ct 8* or venus cut to the first 20 p.s. members to e-mail you on that day .
9.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ah, the old "in and out of business in one day" trick, eh?

Nah, I've worked hard enough that I want to have my site for at least a couple of decades! (Constantly updated of course!)

Wink

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 8/19/2004 12:20:56 AM Wink wrote:

I thank all of you for your input and we will be making major changes through the next few months, but I think you will all agree the new one is much better than the old one, after you all get to see it of course.

----------------

Thanks for listening.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 8/20/2004 9:40:50 AM noobie wrote:

Thanks for listening.
----------------
Noobie,

You have no idea how much I appreciate all of the input that was given here. It was all tremendously valuable to me, and it greatly infuenced what we are doing with our site. Being at this time a two person office, just Sheila and me, there are some limitations as to what we can do time wise, but the ideas shared here have been a huge factor. I have shared this thread with my webmaster and he has helped us to impliment many of the ideas.

We will continue to make changes as time permits, and I suspect that we will soon be in a growth mode as far as hiring more people to help with the work load. Of course the real problem there is finding people that believe as Sheila and I do that quality and service come first. We will have occassional errors along the way, but we will always strive to correct them and as we have proved in the past refunds are always given where warrented.

BUT and this IS a PROMISE! WE WILL ALWAYS LISTEN! We may decide not to implement based on our situation, but we will always listen and consider the input and whenever we can we will improve our services and ease of use by acting on your input.

I believe this thread to have been VERY meaningful not only for me, but for any vendor who needs and wants to know what YOU want. Knowing the quality of vendors that we have here on Pricescope, you can be sure that I was not the only one listening!

Wink

sparker

Shiny_Rock
="padding-bottom:0;marginTop:0;marginBottom:0;">----------------
On 7/12/2004 4:11:25 AM Jenn wrote:

----------------
On 7/8/2004 12:57:18 AM Mara wrote:

also while GOG's site is very informative etc...they really need to pay to get a real web designer in there.
----------------

Mara, I agree with you totally. To be honest, that was one of the reasons I did not buy from GOG. As a professional web designer, their site is just plain awful and if they can't afford a professionally designed site, then it makes me wonder a teeny bit about their whole operation...sad statement about what seems to be a wonderful company, but true (speaking of which, I'd be more than happy to barter my design services for their diamonds, teehee!). When you are spending thousands and thousands of dollars on a diamond sight unseen, you want to have the *utmost* confidence in the company you are purchasing from. Sadly, GOG's site does not inspire this confidence.

What an interesting thread!!----------------[/quote]

I would like to rebut on the above statement. My opinion and reaction to GOGs website was quite the opposite. I found it to be clear, absolutely full of information that took me several days to digest, and full of choices. The responses I got via email were always polite, informative and made me feel I was buying with confidence. I personally do not need a "flossy" presentation for these types of purchases. As a matter of fact I have learned that I can get a better deal with the low overhead type of operation, especially when it can be backed up with real credentials. That is how I purchased my hand-made flute. It was made by a guy in Indiana in his garage, who used to work with the Armstrong flute company. His flutes are known internationally, (Jack Moore) but are half the price of the flutes made in Boston. Cflutist will know who I speak of.

Suz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results