shape
carat
color
clarity

What is important to you as an internet shopper?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I think that we always do pay for shipping...even if it's "free"...
naughty.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Information. You want to know every thing about what is being offered, including the size of stones and the weight of the finished piece if appropriate.

I'd more say, "Information as in crown/pavilion angles and a copy of the grading report at minimum." I should be able to find this information on your site without having to ask you to get it. I found when buying an e-ring stone that the numbers usually weren't what I wanted anyway, so I don't waste time anymore with vendors that don't list crown/pavilion angles as a minimum.

Free shipping was not mentioned often, but when it was mentioned it was emphatic. Was this a lone voice in the wilderness, or is shipping a major irritant? (Sheila tells me that she thinks it was NOT a lone voice in the wilderness.)

Sheila's right - it's not a lone voice in the wilderness. I didn't mention it only because I've come to expect it already from vendors who gave it. I ordered from DI; then returned the stones and had new stones sent to me. Both times, they paid shipping. I bought a stone from WF, a custom e-ring setting, and a custom wedding band - all three purchases, they paid shipping.

Having stones in stock. There are now hundreds of sites that list a bazillion stones that they will drop ship to you and then there are the sites that list only their own stock that they have on hand. How important an issue is this? VERY...depending on the purchase. For my e-ring, I wouldn't deal with a vendor who didn't have it in hand. Too important a purchase to take chances. For smaller purchases like earrings, I still want vendors with stones in hand. The only way I'd go to a drop-ship vendor is if NO in-hand vendor had what I needed and I couldn't wait for product....and then only if I had a really good full-refund return policy.

Are those of us who can look at a stone and give guidance to our clients truly being replaced by paper?

Emphatically not. I've picked up the phone to every vendor to discuss my stones prior to purchase, and that is invaluable to me. When I called Whiteflash with one stone in mind, they gave me an alternative for a better, larger diamond for less money. I would never have known about it if I hadn't spoken with them.

Is ten days long enough to look at a stone, or do you need thirty or sixty days?

I think ten days is a little tight - 15 would be more reasonable. I think 30/60 days are excessive.....not fair to you as a vendor.

Last thing - hasn't been mentioned: Communication! When you give your word, keep your word. If you tell me that I will hear from you by Friday, then call me Friday.....even if it's to tell me that you didn't get the response/info yet but you're still working on it. Trust that I'll have patience/indulgence as long as you don't ignore me/keep me in the dark.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I cant believe I didnt mention have the stones in stock and on hand because I wouldnt deal with a vendor that doesnt.
I think that I forgot about it because the online vendors that I like all actualy have the diamonds in stock .

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
The issue with shipping for me is that I feel like I would be nickled and dimed. Unless we discuss policies upfront regarding shipping payment, then I would expect it to be included in the price.

As far as free shipping for everything, I think it is unreasonable for someone to pay $20.00 for an item & expect next day shipping for free. But, that would be clear up front. On the flip side, I wouldn't expect to pay $9.00 for shippping either. Yep, just did that with an ebay item. It wasn't worth the argument; but, I would not buy from this seller again.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Wink wrote:
Someone mentioned the vendor being responsible while the stone is being set. Do you mean if the vendor who sold the stone sets the stone? I would think that to be very reasonable and probably enforceable by law. If you mean that the vendor who sells it and someone else sets it? If so I do not think that reasonable, but I am interested in your thoughts.

Wink-

I think that even if the stone was purchased elsewhere, the vendor setting it should be responsible for any damage or loss while in his/her care. Having said that, I also believe it is the vendor's right to refuse to set a stone they see as too much of a risk. Say someone purchases a stone elsewhere and sends it to you, and you see 18 open feathers by the girdle and a giant discoid something or other plus an indented natural... you figure there's no way in hades to set this stone without some chunk flying off... you should get to tell the customer that, and simply send it back, hoping it doesn't disintegrate during shipping. However, if I send a vendor a reasonable stone to be set, and the vendor says he/she can do it, I expect them to guarantee that, so if something goes horribly wrong, I'm not out of my hard-earned savings with nothing to show for it. If homeowners' insurance covered loose stones, I might feel differently, by the way.

Did that make any sense?

[edited to clarify] I do not believe the vendor of the diamond should be responsible for damage or loss of the stone while in the posession of the customer OR while it is being set by a third party. The third party doing the setting should assume that responsibility as long as the stone is in their posession.

I wanna rock!

Rough_Rock
I agree with quaeritur's response. The more info available on the website about a vendor's diamond inventory, the better. GOG has almost everything. However, it would be great to see actual pictures of the diamonds - face up, crown, pavillion, etc. It is difficult to get a feel for a diamond without actually seeing it in person. Actual pictures are as close as you can get.
Most good vendor's should send you the photos, if possible, but posting actual photos may reduce some of the e-mail conversation and requests.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
My 2 cents on email vs phone - if I am ordering something cut & dry - then email is the way to go. Something as personal as a diamond - I want personal discussion.

Also, I think things can get confused in email. And, some people simply can not express something concrete enough in an email. Sometimes I wonder Huh?

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
As a noobie that has been crawling across these pages and the various on-line vendor pages I must add my voice to the 'pictures of actual stone' contingent. I am interrested in an unbranded asscher, and as there are many differences in the modified square emerald cuts out there it would be useful to see what the corners are cut like...i.e. I prefer the deeper cut corner/octagonal look. The pictures posted are mostly of samples- with the exception of niceice, and occasionally GOG.

The lack of pictures is frustrating, and thinking I have to pick up the phone and ask someone sucha a basic question about a stone leads me to more on-line searching, and it is making my search more difficult. After reading this site, I definitely want to buy on-line, as most B&M's have a woeful on hand supply of these cuts. Plus add in the fact that I met my FH on-line makes it that much more of an interesting story to tell to friends- 'you can find everything on-line these days!'

Living in the SF Bay Area, amid the computer culture, I am also a frequent on-line purchaser/researcher, bill payer (stamps? what are those?), and feel that if someone doesn't have a decent web page, they pretty much loose my business- unless there are several good 'word of net' references to a non-web page business.

Jen

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 7/1/2004 5:22:42 PM quaeritur wrote:

Wink wrote:
The third party doing the setting should assume that responsibility as long as the stone is in their posession.----------------
Here is where a lot of vendors, myself included might dissagree with you. If you buy a stone for $500 or $500,000 and send it to a vendor for setting and he is getting a $35 fee, then I think it unreasonable to expect him to assume liability for that.

That is always discussed up front with my clientele, and I have never broken a client's stone, but I can not accept the risk of setting a stone that I did not sell for a very small fee that I get to keep only a few dollars of. I do accept the responsibility on stones that I have sold, and have had to repair two diamonds so far in my thirty year career. Both clients had the option of the repaired diamond or a new stone and since in both cases the loss of weight was less than a point they accepted the repaired stones. I was not so lucky a few weeks ago with a nice garnet that is still at Richard's being recut, that was a replace at my expense type deal and I will have a smaller garnet when it is done. One Richard Homer stone down, but the replacement Richard Homer was accepted. First colored stone that Bei ever broke for me in twenty years, I can deal with it.

Wink

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

OK Wink, having just completed my third buying experience in the last few months with PS vendors and each one was many thousands of dollars here are my comments:

Quick response and service. You would like to know what is happening with your order and when it will be completed. Absolutely 100% right on

Information. You want to know every thing about what is being offered, Yes and make bloody sure that the information is accurate because I rely on it heavily in my decision

Free shipping
This is an irritant.Don’t nickel and dime me for this on a large purchase (Hint: Jim Schultz)

Price. Far from the top in importance, but important.Everyone has their own view of this, but I would say “far from the top” may be overstating it

Are those of us who can look at a stone and give guidance to our clients truly being replaced by paper? Not for me.I much prefer to discuss a stone on hand, versus bring one in.I limited my first purchase to inventory stones and still have a preference, but would be willing to let someone look for something more unique if I trusted them

Upgrades
Don’t care.Each diamond I buy for my wife has it’s own sentimental value and reason.Would not trade any of them in.Just buy more!

Guarantees and a reasonable time to inspect a stone before having to say yea or nay Ten days is borderline, unless I have tons of information and can see and appraise the stones in a convenient time.Much more comfortable with 30 days, however, I never abuse these policies and rarely return anything so I may be the exception

Independent confirmation. If you mean send to appraiser on approval, Yes absolutely.For me this is a deal breaker. Tied into return time . I generally will pay in advance and rely on return policy just to avoid more hassle with bank transfers.However as a MAJOR irritant two times, I paid in full and the stones arrived at the appraisers office marked unpaid.I had to call and ask for fax confirmation of payment so I could take the stones.IF YOU ARE PAID IN FULL DON’T MARK THE PACKAGE UNPAID

Ability to talk to a person. Point taken Good

Sticking to stated policies and no whining! I added the no whining, but I like the comment made by Capt Aubrey. In addition, as Mara and F&I said, no excuses. You represent all of your employees, suppliers and agents, FULL STOP.I don’t care if so and so made a mistake, YOU are responsible for it accept it and fix it.

Buy now or hold diamond. Hold the diamond for a reasonable time for me to make a decision, say two days.Let me know if someone else is waiting and I’ll expedite the decision in good faith

Free H&A viewer with purchase of H&A stone. Already doing that one, did not even think about making a point of it.
Nice touch the first time, but don’t need a collection of them now!

One last thing for you vendors, can anyone come up with a better way to pay than blasted wire transfers.This is 2004 and with all of this on-line shopping, I still have to physically go to bank that I haven’t been to in years and pay a $16 excessive fee to avoid being dinged a 5% credit card fee.It’s very inconvenient.That’s one reason I pay first.Don’t want to go to appraiser, run to bank, wait for wire, back to appraiser to pick up.

If I think of more, I’ll post, but having said that, each of the vendors I used have there own character and quirks.None is perfect, but one does clearly set a service standard to aspire to in my small sample set of experience.All were honest and of high integrity which as I said before is tops on my list.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
One last comment.....(since I know I've given you plenty
6.gif
)

On the topic of stocked or brokered stones. I like having the brokered stones available to me in order to broaden my choice. I believe that you as a trained jeweler can still add value to the process by either bringing the stone in for you to evaluate first (as some vendors do) or match make me with someone local to me if you can for me to view it with their assistance, or some combo in there. I admire the vendors who buy and stock stones, and I believe that they are handpicking beautiful stones. However, I have rarely found what I am looking for in their stock, so I need access to the listed stones. Having a vendor help me with that process is great value add.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/1/2004 6:21:08 PM noobie wrote:

One last thing for you vendors, can anyone come up with a better way to pay than blasted wire transfers.This is 2004 and with all of this on-line shopping, I still have to physically go to bank that I haven’t been to in years and pay a $16 excessive fee to avoid being dinged a 5% credit card fee.It’s very inconvenient.That’s one reason I pay first.Don’t want to go to appraiser, run to bank, wait for wire, back to appraiser to pick up.----------------

I do know the answer to that one. FRAUD. If you go to the bank to arrange a wire transfer, the Vendor knows you are the person you say you are. The bank verified your identity before the transfer was arranged and sent.
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sincerity is a good step... and good comunication.

I have this immage of an internet seller being a small-scale opperation run by over-qualifed guys - I expect to understand from a website why and how is the business working and what exactly is what they sell. Even if the bulk is not listed, carefully constructed refferences are great. A website is a book (right?), so the same evaluation criteria apply.
read.gif

Professional comunication comes next - if I wanted to get a sales pitch over the phone, than the shop accross the streat does as well.

The Net is a great place for the more serious shopping, at least for me that is
1.gif

coldfusion

Rough_Rock
Having interesting products that I want to buy is the hardest part. If you get me to your site, I'm usually not browsing and looking for something to buy. Call it the male in me, but i only go to the mall when i'm going to buy something
2.gif

1. Do what you say when you say you're going to do it. Nothing irks a customer more that unfulfilled promises.
2. Be courteous. I bought my wife's engagement ring at a certain place, but will never deal with them again after they were rude to her.
3. Strive to exceed customer expectations. Some online shoppers like the "personal" touch, some don't. Provide both options. Personally i like to do most things via email, it's like a built in receipt.
4. A user-friendly website with tons of information. Be consistent across like products (if you're going to show the cert on one stone, show them all). Site should have easy navigation and not take forever to load.
5. Free shipping is not an issue with me, as long as exact shipping is charged, and is included in the quote.
6. A complete online real-time inventory of products. GOG is pretty good at this. If a product is sold or unavailable, state so or remove it.

I know people are divided on the "setting of the stone" accountability. Personally, i'm on the side of it being the setter's responsibility. This may mean that a dollar or two more is charged (to cover your insurance), but I liken it to taking my car to get it washed and it coming out with a big scratch in the paint. It's one of the risks of washing cars, and the car wash should be insured against its risks.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just got home, spent the evening kayaking, it was wonderful.

Time for one quick comment before I go to bed and get the rest I need and deserve...
--------------------
RE: This may mean that a dollar or two more is charged (to cover your insurance.
----------------------
Would that it were so easy. I am not aware of any insurance that I can buy for this protection, or I would have it already. It is one of those nightmare things that go bump in the night for us jewelers...

Wink

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
One thing that I must dissent with the crowd about. I live in the country w/ no cable access. Our dial-up is extremely slow. By the time some of these pictures load, I could floss my teeth. That's why when someone lists a stone they are interested in, I often don't go to sites that take so long to load. Perhaps an intermediary pull up w/o all the stuff. If one wants to go further, tick a pic.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I understand that there are folks like 8* and Cary Horowitz (Jubilee?) who forbid pricing to be published, but for all other stones...I HATE WITH A PASSION "CALL FOR PRICE." Or stones without pricing information.

If, as an internet dealer, you find that you have repeat customers don't think that you can slack off. This is really piggy backing off of what others have said about doing what you say that you are going to do and following through. No one likes feeling taken for granted.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 7/1/2004 11:07:53 PM coldfusion wrote:
I know people are divided on the 'setting of the stone' accountability. Personally, i'm on the side of it being the setter's responsibility. This may mean that a dollar or two more is charged (to cover your insurance), but I liken it to taking my car to get it washed and it coming out with a big scratch in the paint. It's one of the risks of washing cars, and the car wash should be insured against its risks.
----------------

Ah.....but a major difference between your car and the diamond....the car can be restored to its original state with a paint job......costs some money, sure, but one scratch doesn't mean the car wash has to buy you a brand new car.

However, chip a diamond, and it will never weigh as much as it did. You can recut/repolish/whatever, but it will lose weight in the process. The only way to make you whole (with a 1.25 diamond if that's what you started with) is to replace it with another like 1.25 diamond.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I pretty much agree with the points everyone has made, but would like to add a further suggestion. I love H&A, superideals diamonds, but I love as well finding a sweet deal here and there. Maybe a selection of estate, preowned stones would be a good idea?? I know for sure that I would love it. And I bet many others would, too.
2.gif

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 7/1/2004 11:07:53 PM coldfusion wrote:

I know people are divided on the 'setting of the stone' accountability. Personally, i'm on the side of it being the setter's responsibility. This may mean that a dollar or two more is charged (to cover your insurance)

----------------

there isn't really a difference of opinion, at least in the trade. you can't expect someone who is getting $35 for a setting job to be a surety for a $10,000 stone. it's long been settled, in the courts and elsewhere, that the owner of the stone bears the risk. and the insurance companies will not write policies for that sort of thing anyway.

coldfusion

Rough_Rock

Ah.....but a major difference between your car and the diamond....the car can be restored to its original state with a paint job......costs some money, sure, but one scratch doesn't mean the car wash has to buy you a brand new car.

However, chip a diamond, and it will never weigh as much as it did. You can recut/repolish/whatever, but it will lose weight in the process. The only way to make you whole (with a 1.25 diamond if that's what you started with) is to replace it with another like 1.25 diamond.
----------------

This is very true. But the point wasn't replacement/repair, it was a $7 car wash could potentially lose $1500 repainting my door, more a risk/return kind of analogy. I'm sure insurance like this isn't as easy to come by as walking into your local State Farm or Geico.

But like Wink said, he sets the terms and conditions up front, and ultimately it's the setter's choice whether to accept the risk.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for understanding that.

I want to thank all of you for the informative answers that you have given. I hope sincerely that a lot of the other vendors saw this thread as well, as there is a wealth of information in here.

Some of what you all said I expected, some I did not, but all of it was useful to see and know. If you consumers will keep letting us vendors know what you want, we will keep striving to give it to you!

Wink

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Coming into this late, but I think everything has pretty much been said. I'm helping a friend right now look for a diamond for HER friend, and it's been an irritating process. Partly it's because these jewelers just don't seem to be reading their emails closely. If they did, there would be a lot less time wasted going back and forth clarifying matters and digging up new stones. Grrr....

Wink, I can't wait to see your new site. Two web things for me are:

1) Graphics. For heaven's sake, I hope you're not using Flash and please, please no splash page. Unlike F&I, I like seeing the stones, but it's also annoying to wait for something to load when you need info. So, do make sure that there is enough info that's text-only and make people click when they want to see the pictures.

2) I also hope it's, well, slick. It's sad, but psychologically the more professional a website looks, the more a general consumer will trust the business behind it. I think the rationale is that if a site is slick enough they MUST have spent a lot of money on it, thus MUST be big and successful enough to be able to afford it. We all know that's not necessarily true, but many consumers do feel that way.

Oh, one more. A good search engine that allows me to narrow down my search as much as possible would be great too.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I like a website that's carefully organized. If you divide things into categories, make sure the categories make sense, and make sure it's easy to get from one place to another. For example, if you have a category called "solitaires," don't put a lot of three-stone rings in it, but do put every solitaire you sell in that category, so I don't have to go looking through a category marked "engagement rings" for some extra solitaires.

That's just an example, of course.

I know this sounds obvious, but I'm always amazed at how many websites don't manage to do this .

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your point about flash is well taken and one of the first things I wish I never had to wait for when downloading myself and I have a DSL at the office and cable at home. Someone ran a thread about some cool new cut but I was so put off by the flash and the fancy stuff that I left before ever seeing it. So you know what I think about flash. I think that is an excellent point for any web designer to remember.

Just curious, are there any of you who feel that flash is what makes you love a site?

Re a search engine. I was visiting sites yesterday and went by Nice Ice. They have done something that I think is brilliant. They have listed stones by size catagories. To me, that makes even more sense for a small site than a search engine. Opinions pro and con are welcome.

Wink, whose wife says dinner is served. Yum!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/7/2004 8:36:47 PM Wink wrote:

They have listed stones by size catagories. To me, that makes even more sense for a small site than a search engine. Opinions pro and con are welcome.

----------------

I was waiting for a Q like this.
1.gif

Jonathan has the H&A stone slisted the same, and it looks useful. Actually, any such entry selection ( = preset categories of stones aparent by dafeult as soon as you get on the site) is a nice idea. Those search engines are ok, but not as useful: for once, one may not know what exactly all those criteria mean (so you end up maing a selection without really knowing what makes a difference and how). Since weight and size are more "natural" measures one would understand even if never heard of diamonds before... it makes good sense to sort by weight. Probably everyone would expect half-carat breaks anyway. Weight intervals that actually make a meaningful size difference would work as well.

And, for all that matters:

There are at leats two things that make me dislike search engines:

#1. they impose a straight cut - when it is quite hard to set one that makes a difference.
For example, I've noticed that the engine at Whiteflash would actually modify the interval if the request is too narrow or not feasible - this solves the problem, but the result on the screen seems puzzling (since it is not what one asks). The Blue Nile engine lets you push some scale buttons and watch the selection getting more or less narrow - basically how effective your search criteria are. That seems a good idea, especially if the page could be made less cluttered.

#2. what is one to do with 500 diamond "notes" on the screen al $20 apart? Rational choices are supposed to be made 2 by 2... so could one use the serach to get options for one parameters compared to a refference stone. This is what the engine at Cherrypicked tries to do - and it looks useful even if made to select between few options.

Sum up: it would be great to make an interface that suggests (= teaches) HOW to search, as opposed to painting buttons
read.gif

Well, or ditch the engine and show a couple of great gems one can see from all angles. A simple link to the PS site and database is just perfect to show what a dounting task buying "off the list" actually is
11.gif
Or is it ?
rolleyes.gif

These may be bitter notes, but this is my job...

Oh, and flash ?!
sick.gif
no way! not me !

Every now an then one gets a cool stage of a site (Pomellato wins among what I know of) but that's more puppet show than informative shopping tool.

Hope at leats some of this was ok to say ...

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Ummmmm, ditto what AnA said

No flash, hate it. Have search hold last values and not reset so I don't have to re enter everything if I change 1 variable. By memory, Blue Nile search engine is cool. I liked DIs and SuperbCert. WF's Ok but doesn't hold values. GOG's is very informative but have to admit cold use a revamp to streamline. I kind of agree with F&I, it can be slow and all the info is great but some should be linked like images and BS results. DCD has a friendly site as well. Don't know what to to do when I get over 500 hits on the PS search too! Look at the first few, some in the middle and some at the end.

Well that Wink's site, lets's not even go there
2.gif
.... What's for dinner?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wont let the flash or shockwave players be installed on my computer I still remember them refusing to fix a bug in the earlier verson that would crash a persons computer and possibly be used to gain controll of the system it was still in 3 versions after it was reported and took them a year to fix it.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 7/7/2004 11:01:55 PM noobie wrote:

Ummmmm, ditto what AnA said

Well that Wink's site, lets's not even go there
2.gif
.... What's for dinner?

----------------
Please don't! Go there I mean. Now that I know what you want I really wish I had never tried to be a web site designer instead of just doing what I do!

As for dinner. Fresh salad, lots of greens, sugar snaps or some kind of pea that you could eat in the pod, hard boiled eggs grated over the top with a home made thousand island dressing to die for and large jumbo prawnes, skinned and cut into bite sized peices mixed in with the salad.

Now THAT's a dinner worth going off line for!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 7/7/2004 11:51:49 PM strmrdr wrote:

gog site sux wheen you are shopping by price initualy and dont know what size, color ,and clarity stones fall in your price range.----------------

Ditto that emphatically.....and that's something I've mentioned to Jonathan previously.

The concept of having lots of information is a good one......but not if I get sick of waiting for everything to load. NiceIce's site makes more sense because it lists EVERYTHING in the table....including price, dimensions, etc. You can see ALL the specs of the stone on the "spreadsheet", and you can click into the stone to see more detailed information.

On Jonathan's site, it's too cumbersome to click in and out of every single stone just to get pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results