shape
carat
color
clarity

What is good, bad, average?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jtastor

Rough_Rock
Hello diamond gurus! I'm looking for a little guidance. I need to replace a diamond and I have been checking out a few sites out there and reading up on some sarin reports and diamond specs but I am still confused.
What is the culet?
What is a good culet reading?
And, when a sarin reports reads "Fluorescence: NONE" or "Fluorescence: medium blue", is this good, bad? Here is a litte more info: I am looking for a 1.25, G in color, round brilliant cut, VS1.I appreciate any guidance.Jamie

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A Sarin device does not grade UV Fluorescence. Someone using the machine has given that grade which may or may not be accurate. It is a subjective opinion, not created on a Sarin. Be a bit cautious if you have not been properly advised by the seller in this matter.Many diamonds have a pointed culet today,which simply means they have no tiny facet at the bottom tip of the stone. The culet helpts to prevent a small chip from developing at this point. Since absence of a culet does not hurt the light return it is not a big consideration in cut quality. You are best off with a small culet rather than none, but it is no big deal.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Oldminer, thanks for pointing out about fluorescence and Sarin report. It was also seemed strange to me but I thought maybe there is a confusion with the lab report.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Jtastor,Have you seen our tutorial www.pricescope.com/tutorial.asp ?Medium and smaller culet are ok. Larger culet is considered as negative factor since you'll be able to see it from the top of the stone. See for details www.pricescope.com/tutor_culet.asp .As for fluorescence, you can find an answer here: http://www.pricescope.com/tutor_fluor.asp . Mainly you should make sure that the stone doesn't look oily or cloudy under the bright light.Hope it helps
smile.gif

jtastor

Rough_Rock
Hi LeonidJust checked out the tutorial. Excellent information....should have looked there first! Thanks so much!Jamie

jtastor

Rough_Rock
You folks are so helpful...I didn't mean to confuse you ...I don't really know if I saw the fluorescence grading in the Sarin report or just a specs document about the different diamonds I was looking at...all I know is that after talking with a number of jewelers and hearing about culet, girdle, the 4Cs, crown, etc, I got all confused as to which characteristics were the very most important (now I know). Thank you oldminer and leonid for clearing things up for me. Leonid: I will definitley make sure to run the stone I find through the cut adviser. Jamie

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Jtastor, don't mention it.Good luck and keep us posted
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results