shape
carat
color
clarity

What is good, bad, average?

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by jtastor, Dec 11, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
  1. jtastor
    Rough_Rock

by jtastor » Dec 11, 2000
    Hello diamond gurus! I'm looking for a little guidance. I need to replace a diamond and I have been checking out a few sites out there and reading up on some sarin reports and diamond specs but I am still confused.
    What is the culet?
    What is a good culet reading?
    And, when a sarin reports reads "Fluorescence: NONE" or "Fluorescence: medium blue", is this good, bad? Here is a litte more info: I am looking for a 1.25, G in color, round brilliant cut, VS1.I appreciate any guidance.Jamie

2. oldminer
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by oldminer » Dec 11, 2000
    A Sarin device does not grade UV Fluorescence. Someone using the machine has given that grade which may or may not be accurate. It is a subjective opinion, not created on a Sarin. Be a bit cautious if you have not been properly advised by the seller in this matter.Many diamonds have a pointed culet today,which simply means they have no tiny facet at the bottom tip of the stone. The culet helpts to prevent a small chip from developing at this point. Since absence of a culet does not hurt the light return it is not a big consideration in cut quality. You are best off with a small culet rather than none, but it is no big deal.------------------
    David Atlas
    Accredited Gem Appraisers

3. pricescope
    Ideal_Rock

by pricescope » Dec 11, 2000
    Oldminer, thanks for pointing out about fluorescence and Sarin report. It was also seemed strange to me but I thought maybe there is a confusion with the lab report.

4. pricescope
    Ideal_Rock

5. jtastor
    Rough_Rock

Hi LeonidJust checked out the tutorial. Excellent information....should have looked there first! Thanks so much!Jamie

6. jtastor
    Rough_Rock

You folks are so helpful...I didn't mean to confuse you ...I don't really know if I saw the fluorescence grading in the Sarin report or just a specs document about the different diamonds I was looking at...all I know is that after talking with a number of jewelers and hearing about culet, girdle, the 4Cs, crown, etc, I got all confused as to which characteristics were the very most important (now I know). Thank you oldminer and leonid for clearing things up for me. Leonid: I will definitley make sure to run the stone I find through the cut adviser. Jamie

7. pricescope
    Ideal_Rock

8. pricescope
    Ideal_Rock

by pricescope » Dec 11, 2000
    Jtastor, don't mention it.Good luck and keep us posted [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.