shape
carat
color
clarity

What is an Eye Clean Diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
*Special thanks to the participating vendors, appraisers, and experts for your thoughtful contributions* --Was a pleasure reading your responses.

Thanks Andrey!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
EXCELLENT Article Erika/Coati!!! and thanks vendors!!!!! Thank you for helping us consumers Erika/Coati!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY Coati
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I am so proud of you, your article is wonderful. Thank you so much and thank you vendors.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
35.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you!
35.gif

Lula

Ideal_Rock
What a helpful article!! Thanks, Coati.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Good article, I really liked Gary''s point about accommodation because that is the first thing that came to my mind when I saw all the definitions of eyeclean based on a fixed set in inches. I took an undergrad class in anatomy once in a community college with students of several ages. The younger people had nearer points of accommodation than the slightly older people (I was 22 at the time and mine was not the closest), and the older people were further away. By the 40''s, most peoples point of accommodation has gotten so far away, they can no longer read fine print, so they need reading glasses.

A simple test for most people would be reading fine print (like a newspaper). You will usually place the paper at your point of accommodation, where the text is in best focus to read (if you don''t have 20/20 vision, you should be wearing whatever you use to correct your vision). You can measure that distance and you know that is the distance you will probably focus best on a diamond.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, well done Coati.

Now kiddies, what fun it would be if we could all agree on a Pricescope version of "Eye Clean".
As you can see there is a huge variation of 5 to 15 inches as a viewing distance (plus my version of checking to see how close up people look and adjusting the definition to suit).

Is it possible to arrive at a consensus definition?
It would be great if we could to put it in the tutorial and to become a usable definition for you all to apply when helping newbies.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/23/2009 3:03:16 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Yes, well done Coati.

Now kiddies, what fun it would be if we could all agree on a Pricescope version of 'Eye Clean'.
As you can see there is a huge variation of 5 to 15 inches as a viewing distance (plus my version of checking to see how close up people look and adjusting the definition to suit).

It would be great if we could to put it in the tutorial and to become a usable definition for you all to apply when helping newbies.
I think so, its a great suggestion Garry. My personal definition is about 6/ 7 inches away face up in daylight. My eyes are middle aged and close up vision is deteriorating.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/23/2009 3:36:57 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 9/23/2009 3:03:16 AM
Yes, well done Coati.

Now kiddies, what fun it would be if we could all agree on a Pricescope version of ''Eye Clean''.

I think so, its a great suggestion Garry. My personal definition is about 6/ 7 inches away face up in daylight. My eyes are middle aged and close up vision is deteriorating.
OK - here is the summary distilled by Coati:

No inclusions visible to the unaided eye when viewed from the face up position in daylight equivalent or fluorescent lighting from approximately 6-12 inches from the eye using 20/20 vision.

They were asked to include these three factors:

1) Distance and orientation

2) Type of lighting

3) Vision type

But I included additional stuff
The size of the inclusion relative to the diamond
The nature of the inclusion(s)
The inclusion placement (e.g. can it be covered by a claw)

And the big thorny one that labs and many of the trade people think consumers should accept:

Face up vs side view

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Great job Coats!
36.gif

lol at Mr Mege''s comment - to the point
9.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Gary,

I think the side view is important and would take that into consideration when buying a diamond. Often when you are wearing a ring, the diamond is tilted towards the side as much, if not more than when it is face up. The hand is not a stationary object.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/23/2009 5:00:26 AM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Gary,

I think the side view is important and would take that into consideration when buying a diamond. Often when you are wearing a ring, the diamond is tilted towards the side as much, if not more than when it is face up. The hand is not a stationary object.
It should be clrarityified (pun) that the issue is what the diamond looks like thru the side and back of the pavilion LFC

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2009 9:03:40 AM
Date: 9/23/2009 5:00:26 AM

Author: LtlFirecracker

Gary,

It should be clrarityified (pun) that the issue is what the diamond looks like thru the side and back of the pavilion LFC

Thanks for making the clarification. I would want my diamond clean from all angles, but I know not everyone feels that way. My first diamond studs (at age 16) had a black inclusion, and I was determined never to have a diamond like that again. The clarity issue is what initially got me into learning about diamonds and gemstones.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Great article, thanks Coati!
36.gif

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can understand someone buying a high quality diamond wanting to have no eye visible inclusions at every viewing angle, but the majorty of buyers want a lesser clarity diamond which looks the same as flawless when set. These folks are the ones who need a consistent definition of the proper use of the term "Eye Clean". I think we have enough agreement on the requirements although the exact distance of our eyes to the diamonds varies within a range of 6 to 15 inches. Diamonds which need an "Eye Clean" disclaimer tend to be bought for their looks and not for their super high quality. We want people who see such diamonds on the hands and ears of wearers to look flawless at a normal viewing distance. 6" seems sort of like a rather uncomfortably close inspection, to me. Unless I knew someone very well, I don''t think I''d make such a close inspection of their diamond. No matter where you go with this definition, there will be diamonds that are borderline calls. It will be good to see a defintion which is fair and has the potential to become universally adopted.

ct-appr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Great article!

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AWESOME article! I never thought about looking at it upside down!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats Coati! Wonderful article!
emotion-5.gif

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
An Eye-Clean definition was added to the aricle from Angara

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok- I am a slacker and just read this. Congrats! Erika on a fantastic article. very well informed and thank you experts and vendors!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results