shape
carat
color
clarity

What I hate the most about CA.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been following this thread since the beginning, and I'm SO HAPPY Mr. Houdini is welcoming *human love* and being friendlier! I have a real soft spot for kitties, and this one reminds me of one I lost much too soon (from CHF)... These updates make me so happy!! God bless you, Gypsy, for taking on this task!! :)) :)) :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packie posted this on FB, so I hope she doesn't mind me sharing it here as well...

This probably describes a lot of us! [emoji175][emoji192]
0565b2718608a2031626cfa8c55cb491.jpg

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have such a soft spot for apricot tabbies!! We once had an apricot kitten stuck in one of our trees. How she got there, we will never know, but she was one of our many rescues. Her name from heaven was Mimi.

Gypsy, I am beginning to think you need to open a cat rescue barn. Think....El Dorado County. Maybe near Apple Hill. What do you think? You will be close enough to Sacramento to run adoption events, but El Dorado County can be inexpensive enough to do what you want to do??? Could this be your calling???

Aren't rescues non-profits? You can raise money for the Kitteh Barn.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are coming out of our shell a bit every day ans becoming a love bug.

He meows for pets at night if I leave him before he is ready. No growling at all. Hissing means no. It's big boundary notification when he doesn't feel comfortable. Not one scratch, bite or nibble. Less hiding more confidence by the day.

He doesn't know how to play. At all. Which.made me very sad for him. He's confused when I wave wand toys. Doesn't know wgat to do witg cat nip.toys at all. He doesn't understand treats either. We're working on it.

Last night he very stubbornly tried to follow me out of the bathroom. We are going to move him ti our second bedroom in a week or ao. It's all boxes so we have to set it up first and clear it out. That way we can take naps with him and get gim used to furniture and.things of that nature.

Pictures below.

tmp_27086-img_20161121_020510975248222.jpg

tmp_27086-img_20161121_0204531823609880.jpg

tmp_27086-img_20161121_020422-1139880875.jpg

tmp_27086-img_20161121_02035389252779.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Code:
A few more... including one so you can see how well he's healing.

tmp_27086-img_20161121_0157095281382448931.jpg

tmp_27086-img_20161121_015721150-219107708.jpg

tmp_27086-img_20161121_015558574284078783.jpg

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, this is so sad and so wonderful at the same time. Do you think his eye hurts him at all? Does not look like he is in pain, looks like he loves the attention :halo: I feel so sad for him.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwww my heart is melting for him. :love: :love: :love: Gypsy, I so wish we could adopt this sweet baby!
Why oh why can't we have a limitless number of cats?
I so hope you find a loving home for him where he will be treated like the little prince he is. Where he will be loved unconditionally and pampered beyond belief because he deserves that so much.

He can definitely learn to play as a few of our cats also had no clue because we adopted them as little adults who had tough beginnings but they soon learned with our guidance and our other kitties helping show/teach them.

Sending lots of healing vibes and good luck dust his way. (((HUGS))) to all of you. And thank you for the additional photos! :love: :appl:

kylier

Shiny_Rock
Look at that sweet face! I'm so glad you helped us to help him because it feels like a little miracle has happened. So many hurting animals out there that you can't save them all but the transformation this guy has gone through is just amazing. You can just see in his eyes a warm, happy light that was going out before you saved him.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
He's really coming along!

I know what you mean about not knowing how to play. Our rescue dog, Bear, was kept in a cage in a backyard for 4 years before we got him. He never had a ball or a toy. After 2 years he will now throw his bone in the air and pounce on it but he thinks balls are suspicious.Baby steps. Once he doesn't have to focus on just surviving he'll get into it.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy thank you so much for giving him a kiss from me.

I love the pictures.

He is so so cute. I really like him.

And I love that you're going to move him to another room so he can get used to furniture, etc.

You guys are so awesome.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Scandi, me too. You reminded me to call the vet today and see about drops for his eyes. Now that he is not feral there might be something they can prescribe him for it. I know it hurts him. He lets me wipe his eyes. Actually he let me wipe all of him (cat wipes). He's SUCH a gentle guy.

Whoever hurt him better hope I never find out who they are. I will hound every police agency from here to the capital to see them brought up and convicted of animal abuse.

Missy, I know! But last night I was counting out bowls and when I said, "we have seven cats" out loud, even I was like... That's a bit much. And it really is. I REALLY hope he will like other cats. That is the fastest way to teach them how to play. My demon Lily would teach him how to play so fast he's be an expert in 15 minutes just watching her.

kylier, you perfectly summed up how I feel. Together we worked to save him and were rewarded with a miracle. He REALLY is a different cat. And you can totally see it in his eyes.

Aww, lulu, your poor pup! If I met the people who had him before you I'd pelt them black and blue with tennis balls. Give Bear a hug for me.

Hi CJ, yeah, since he was outdoors for a WHILE it seems I have to see if he has any marking tendencies and other things. I always tell anyone I place animals with that I will take them back 100%, but the fact of the matter is the more you know about an animal the better the fit you can find for them.

There really is no rhyme or reason to pet returns or surrenders though. My only 'normal' cat, the only one that has NO issues at all was surrendered to a kill shelter (instead of the no kill rescue that would have HAPPILY taken him back) after 9 months for no reason at all. He does NOTHING wrong. Handsome, sweet as the day is long. He's just well... a simple cat of simple needs (not a thinker).

House Cat, yes. It is something I would do happily. But that's a lot of money you are talking about. Especially if I am getting a salary out of it too. ((HUGS))

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I've been following this story and I'm SO happy this little guy is doing great and healing well! Really admirable of you to take him under your wing and put in as much effort as you do to get him the best home possible. My husband and I LOVE orange kitties and this one is no exception (we would love one, but one of our furbaby Frenchies doesn't tolerate cats or squirrels although I think one swat to the face might teach him a thing or two!! :lol: ) Looking forward to following his journey through recovery and hopefully a forever home....love the pics and keep us posted!!! :wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to hug the sweetheart. :))

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1479782799|4101277 said:
Whoever hurt him better hope I never find out who they are. I will hound every police agency from here to the capital to see them brought up and convicted of animal abuse.

Well if you do find them, let me know... :angryfire:

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
OMG! Seven cats! Sounds like a lot but really, it's less than ten!

He has made such an amazing recovery. You are the cat whisperer. He looks really good and pretty darn happy.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so, I really hope I can win the lottery ASAP.

DH thinks he's adorable and cares for him, but is REALLY serious that I can't keep Harry. Unless I win the lottery. So, really hoping I win the lottery.

Update on Harry. He let me know last night that he was ready to meet the other cats when Duncan was outside the bathroom door. So opened the door enough to let him get a sniff, expecting he'd hiss and growl and back away. Nope. He tried to go outside and meet Duncan. So I let Duncan into the bathroom with him and kept myself between them (I never have to worry about Duncan being a problem he is a professional Cat Ambassador now with 12 intros under his belt). Harry loved Duncan! Everyone loves Duncan. But still, not one hostile move. Harry was THRILLED to have another cat, even rubbed shoulders with him.

He apparently LIKES other cats. So we did a couple of short intros with our brood today. They went well. The boys don't care. They were just happy to have a new butt to sniff.

Penny is suspicious but only hissed a couple times when he took her by surprise (she kept expecting him to be a different cat, then when she noticed that it was a 'stranger' she'd hiss).

And Lily... well, Lily is a brat. Easily distracted though. She just hissed and then "TOY" and she'd forget all about him. And EVERYTHING is a toy to her.

He didn't hiss or growl back once.

DH is grumpy though. He thinks integration is the first step in my plot to keep Harry. And while he would "happily keep him if we only had three" he is right that we can't do seven in the space we have, with all the uncertainty in our lives, and financially.

I didn't think to take pictures of him with the other cats today. If I can get one of him and Duncan together I will. It's super cute cause he's a 1/2 shade darker than Duncan, blind in one eye instead of both, and a little shorter than Duncan (and no tail). But they look so cute together with both of them being dilute orange boys.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, this is wonderful news :) Might make it easier to find him a furever home :)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1479961859|4102135 said:
Okay so, I really hope I can win the lottery ASAP.

DH thinks he's adorable and cares for him, but is REALLY serious that I can't keep Harry. Unless I win the lottery. So, really hoping I win the lottery.

Update on Harry. He let me know last night that he was ready to meet the other cats when Duncan was outside the bathroom door. So opened the door enough to let him get a sniff, expecting he'd hiss and growl and back away. Nope. He tried to go outside and meet Duncan. So I let Duncan into the bathroom with him and kept myself between them (I never have to worry about Duncan being a problem he is a professional Cat Ambassador now with 12 intros under his belt). Harry loved Duncan! Everyone loves Duncan. But still, not one hostile move. Harry was THRILLED to have another cat, even rubbed shoulders with him.

He apparently LIKES other cats. So we did a couple of short intros with our brood today. They went well. The boys don't care. They were just happy to have a new butt to sniff.

Penny is suspicious but only hissed a couple times when he took her by surprise (she kept expecting him to be a different cat, then when she noticed that it was a 'stranger' she'd hiss).

And Lily... well, Lily is a brat. Easily distracted though. She just hissed and then "TOY" and she'd forget all about him. And EVERYTHING is a toy to her.

He didn't hiss or growl back once.

DH is grumpy though. He thinks integration is the first step in my plot to keep Harry. And while he would "happily keep him if we only had three" he is right that we can't do seven in the space we have, with all the uncertainty in our lives, and financially.

I didn't think to take pictures of him with the other cats today. If I can get one of him and Duncan together I will. It's super cute cause he's a 1/2 shade darker than Duncan, blind in one eye instead of both, and a little shorter than Duncan (and no tail). But they look so cute together with both of them being dilute orange boys.

This is so awesome :appl:

And yes, if you can, take pictures.

Hi Harry and the rest of the kitties! :wavey: :love:

And hugs to your DH. Mine's the same way and with only the 2 we have. So I understand.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, this is great news !... :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1480006215|4102295 said:
Gypsy, this is great news !... :appl:

Thank you DF and CJ and Scandi!

We discovered something today. Poor kid still has fleas. I was cleaning in the bathroom and hit some specks with water and they turned to blood: flea dust. So he is stuck in the bathroom till tomorrow when we can go buy some hardcore prescription flea medication for ALL the kids. I only dose mine every 3 months, and that was 3 months ago and I'm out.

Still he got serious snuggles.

He prefers to snuggle over eating. We take wet food in there every night. And he sniffs it happily and even takes a lick, but then he'll look over at us and look back the food... and snuggles always win out. Never seen a kid do that.

He's a special little bug.

Yes, I do think his affinity for other cats is going to make him much easier to place in a great home. The problem with placing only cats is... most cat people have multiples.

The only thing (other than the fleas) I am worried about is how he is with other humans. With what he went through ... no telling. Still, he's come farther than I EVER would have thought, so... here's hoping he surprises me again.

((HUGS)) and happy thankgiving everyone.

DF, do any of your daughters like cats?? :Up_to_something:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update: flea medication administrated yesterday, integration proceeding once again. Harry with me on the recliner... Lily comes by for a niff. He's such a good kid.

tmp_29406-img_20161127_213019975248222.jpg

tmp_29406-img_20161127_212812955829808.jpg

tmp_29406-img_20161127_213257-676524093.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
last pic he looks like he is saying im ignoring you go away.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Karl_K|1480312024|4103056 said:
last pic he looks like he is saying im ignoring you go away.

That's cat for: "I'm not a threat, but you're freaking me out."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1480052162|4102424 said:
They don't have any pets.When they were kids they ask me to buy them a parrot , :errrr: and guess who ended up taking care of the parrot?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1480314729|4103063 said:
They don't have any pets.When they were kids they ask me to buy them a parrot , :errrr: and guess who ended up taking care of the parrot?

I was thinking of the ones who do not live with you. :lol:

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

But that is perfect!! Then you have experience with pets before you adopt Grumpy/Houdini/Harry :bigsmile: :naughty: :bigsmile:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scandinavian|1480319388|4103068 said:

But that is perfect!! Then you have experience with pets before you adopt Grumpy/Houdini/Harry :bigsmile: :naughty: :bigsmile:
And I have dinner ready for them... :bigsmile:

koi_0.jpg

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1480361921|4103155 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1480361921|4103155 said:

Oh my gosh, are you kidding me. While my kitten would be in there, soaked, trying to catch them. Poor Harry wouldn't even know what they were.

He definitely needs "household" socialization. I don't think he's had much experience inside the house. He is startled and inexperienced with everything. From the washing machine, to the dishwasher to the ice maker. This is a common problem with cats that are shelter socialized... they spend their lives in cages and in special rooms getting socialized to other cats and to humans (and he's great with both) but they have no idea how to deal with living in a home with noises and machines. Penny had the same problem. That's why fostering is so important.

So we'll be working on that. ;))

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy - this is really nice of you to do. I foster too but then I end up keeping the cats and dogs. That is how I ended up with three cats and three dogs. I "fostered" my newest dog this summer - a rescue from Texas that had been abused. Of course, she ended up part of the family. But I love them all. And the kitties definitely need socialization. I have one that was feral who only likes me, my daughter and my bf. She will not come out for anyone else. But she is a lover with us!

Good luck with the kitty. He is a lucky boy to have found you. :angel:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results