shape
carat
color
clarity

What I hate the most about CA.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poor kitty! I want to give him cuddles SO BADLY.

lol @ your husband's snore sounding like a cat growl!

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1479258467|4099085 said:
Grumpy update.

-------------------------------------
Then yesterday Grumpy left the back of the kennel just before it was time for wet food (he has dry 24/7 and water) and sat at the front.

Awwww he likes you! Grumpy just wanted to say hello :) He is not so scared of you any more. Before you know it, he will want to stay with you ;))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So... We might have a new name for Grouchy: Houdini

He had an adventure last night.

He is not a very big cat and the vet said he is a year old at most but most likely under a year.

So at 4 am I have to go pee. As I am walking to the bathroom I hear water running. I'm like... huh. That's not supposed to be on. So I am careful when I open the door. And there he is... outside his cage looking up at me then cowering away to hide himself in the shower curtain.

I'm like... how the heck?? The door to his cage is STILL CLOSED.

Hmmm. I'm half asleep. I go turn off the sink. Look at him. He looks at me. I shrug and leave the bathroom.

Get two steps down the hall and think... he's got no litter box. Well, let's open the cage door. So I leave the cage door open then go back to bed (there is nothing he can harm himself with in there).

In the morning we cautiously open the bathroom door expecting to have to go buy gardening gloves and what not to get the cat back in the kennel.

And there he is. In the kennel. And all we did was shut the door.

So, I am actually a LITTLE optimistic that he may be able to be socialized A LITTLE bit to humans. He would probably not be a good fit for my house. As most male stray cats are not good with other males and I have three. And Lucy would try to kill him. But I MAY see how his healing goes. And I may go and sit in there and open the cage and see if he wants to be friendly.

Fingers crossed. The great news is, since he is so young the chances he will adapt completely to loss of tail and eye are much better.

I will see if I can grab some pictures of him in a few days. I am going to try to get him a little cat cube in there to sit on and a smaller litterbox. If I can get the kennel more comfortable for him, I'll take some pictures.

kylier

Shiny_Rock
Aw what a funny guy. Glad to hear he is coming along.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like he feels safe in the kennel :angel: Perhaps he could have the door open a bit to stretch his legs at night? (I know *nothing* about cats, I just know dogs and they would get stressed from being in a smaller space for too long) Told you he likes you ;))

PS: just sent you some help for Houdini. You are so kind to help him.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Scandi, Thank you very much. He's good though. He's eating all the wet food my kids don't like (fussy brats) and just hanging out in his kennel. If he needs further care/funds, I PROMISE I will post. But I am, so far, pretty sure he's going to be okay. His being young is a huge relief, he will heal better.

Kylier- he is actually. I have hope for him.

The kennel is a dog kennel. A LARGE dog kennel. So I think what happened is that one of the snaps at the bottom of the cage didn't snap. And he SQUEEZED himself out of there because the cage isn't sized for small paws. I checked his stitches and they are fine. The vet said she did a 3 layer wound closure that they do for ferals. So that even if he rips the first two layers the wound is still secure and clean. SMART! And also a huge relief.

The vet is really good. We took Jack and Duncan there today. They have ongoing 'issues' -- Duncan is just old at 15 so he needs to be under a vets care more often than my others and Jack has an anxiety disorder that affects his bladder (when he gets really stressed he starts peeing blood) so we have to keep him on anxiety medications and they can't prescribe medications, by law, without examining the pet.

They only charged me 40 bucks for an HOUR of time with two cats. They know that our kids are almost all rescues with 'issues' and I think they are giving us a discount. Which I have NEVER had a vet do.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. So.

Not feral.

Just hurt by humans and wary of being hurt again.

I was changing out his towel and water and refilling his bowls, all with a coat hanger. And again, he was watching that coat hanger like... "why aren't you using your hands human?" Then I gave him wet food. And I put my whole hand in there. He didn't do anything. So I left the cage open and sat back, relaxed and talked to him. He started eating his wet food and I noticed that he was having trouble because of the way the space in the cage was, he had to stand in the litter box to eat (it's too big for the cage, and I already ordered a small one-- not that we need it now). I reached in slowly and put something under the bowl to raise it. He just watched me. So... he started eating and finished the half of the bowl close to him. So I reached in again, slowly, and turned the bowl. After he was done, he pooped. So I took out the scoop to clean it.

And apparently scooping poop is the magic "You can trust me" button for this cat. Cause after I cleaned the poop (all with my bare hands exposed while he was standing in the litter box) he started flopping around in the litter box giving me 'come pet me' looks. And I was like.... wahhhhhh???? So I reached in REALLY SLOWLY and touched his head. And he pushed his head into my hands for scratches and... loved it. He was flopping everywhere.

I was in TEARS and petting him. And so I told John to come in. And he couldn't believe his eyes. So I decided to see if he'd come out. So I stopped petting him and moved back and held out my hand. It took him like 10 minutes of coaxing. And well, you can see the pictures below.

Introducing: Houdini
Who I am not allowed to keep, if I want to keep my husband. :Up_to_something:

We are no longer looking for a feral rescue to place him with.

We are now looking for a home with an experienced cat owner would will be patient with this guy.

He's little too. Smaller than any of mine, except my kitten who is still growing. I think he's not full grown cause he's not fully grown into his paws. Which just was like a punch in my gut, when I was holding him. Someone HURT this little kiddo. A HUMAN, or he wouldn't be like he was. He is SUPER gentle too, no nibbles, no scratches. He growls and hisses cause he's terrified, but he has NO defenses. He doesn't know HOW to hurt a human.

And I am going to make damned sure no one hurts him again. We left the kennel in there, cause he likes it, and he feels safe there, but left the door open and pulled the litterbox out of it, and I put a nice little cat bed I have in there and generally gave him more room.

Today was a great day. And YOU GUYS made it possible. Love to you all. From me, John and Houdini.

img_20161118_022059711.jpg

img_20161118_022517515.jpg

img_20161118_022521374.jpg

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Gypsy! I'm lost for words!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAY!!!!!!! I was so hoping this might be the case! YAY Gypsy and John and YAY Houdini!!!! BIG (((HUGS))) to all of you.

Hoping you can find a warm loving and safe home for sweet Houdini. And yeah some people really suck and politics aside we have to continue fighting for a better world for animals where their rights matter and they are protected and not treated as possessions to do with as people like. Abuse an animal and get thrown in jail, fined and have a police record as being an abuser. Period. It is not OK how we treat animals in this country. :nono: :nono: :nono:

Back to Houdini. Thank you Gypsy and John!!!! Sending lots of continued good luck dust and good thoughts his (and your) way.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm running off to the gym so I have to make it brief. But I am so glad I stopped in really quick.

OMG Gypsy.

I am so...

like Scandi said, lost for words. Words can't describe what I feel inside right now.

He's so gorgeous.

:love: :appl:

Please please please give him a hug and kiss and make sure to tell him it's from me.

:appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so happy I can't sleep. I went in there a frw minutes ago and he's scuttled into the cat bed thing. He's still very skittish. We'll work on it.

I am so happy!!!!

Thank you guys for understanding how amazing this is.

CJ he likes kisses. I couldn't resist when I was holding him. And he loves being held. He stayed in my arms till they ached and I had to put him down.

I promise I'll give him a hug and kiss from you when I go in there again!

Missy, you know I agree. Hugs!!! And more Hugs!!

Scandi: ((huge hugs and squeezes))

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhhhhh!!! SO HAPPY!! Yup, loss for words.... just feeling so much joy!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such good news!
He was scared and in pain. Poor baby!
Gypsy, you are the BEST for taking care of him!!!!

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy, that is amazing!!!! I'm getting choked up reading your post! Awww that makes me so happy! What a little cutie he is!! :bigsmile:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is seriously the best news I've heard in a while. I'm just lost for words....so happy, but so deeply sad for Houdini. But then happy again because now he is safe and loved and will find a wonderful loving family. Gypsy you are amazing!!!!

If my DH wasn't horribly allergic to cats I would take him in and love him always. Sadly that's not an option for us, but I know you'll find him somewhere prefect. HUGE HUGS!!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I can't believe you are able to hold him! That's an amazing recovery physically, socially and psychologically. He trusts you! What an unexpected outcome. You are the best!! You are a Kitty Angel.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep coming back to look at these pictures... seeing him cuddled up to you and enjoying a headpat like that is giving me such warm fuzzies! Houdini is the ultimate Thanksgiving kitty, eh?!

Man, if he can go through what he's been through, and trust and open up and love again like that, so quickly too, he's an inspiration to all of us! As are you - you are amazing for what you've done for this guy. Can't help but think karma, the universe, God, whatever might be out there planned this... maybe he'll be the inspiration of hope your DH needs right now, and in that way Houdini helps your DH right back?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a sweetheart and wonderful breakthrough news! :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harry Houdini is feeling shy today. He's decided he will blend really well with my beige shower curtain (and he's right) so I am largely leaving him alone.

I think I will start giving him wet food twice a day to draw him out and socialize him more. He was not interested in Greenie treats. So I think we will have to bribe him better in the future.

Thank you everyone, I am happy you all enjoyed his progress too. It's just fabulous!

Q

Queenie60

Wonderful progress - many thanks to you Gypsy. You and your husband are wonderful beyond words. This kitty was so blessed to cross paths with the both of you. Take care and keep us posted.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
CJ, John coaxed him out and I picked him up and gave him a kiss on his sweet pink nose and whispered "that's from CJ".

Thank you Queenie!

He's going to be fine. I bought some kitten food for him, just to get him some higher calorie food for the time being. I also got him a Feliway refill (I have the plug in) to see if that relaxes him. It will be perfect in the bathroom.

We've decided for now to keep him for a few weeks. No timeline. But at least the original two weeks, but more likely four to after Christmas. I want to see how he adapts and if he needs to be an only cat or if he will be okay with siblings. And I don't want him exposed to holiday craziness. We aren't really doing anything for the holidays this year. Although I will get Duncan a small tree, as he adores them.

There is a rescue I trust in Alameda. I will be giving them a call as well as a person that a PSer knows. He may need a sponsorship fee. But we'll cross that bridge if we come to it. It's control freaky of me, but I want to do his socialization and everything myself. John and I both promised him he would be safe from now on, and that means we have to get to know him better to find him the right path to a permanent home. When I make a commitment to an animal its long term.

Q

Queenie60

Oh Gypsy - you're a beautiful person, inside and out. So glad that you're committed to helping him through. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Always willing to help an animal in need. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping this lovely animal.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Queenie60|1479528868|4100463 said:
Oh Gypsy - you're a beautiful person, inside and out. So glad that you're committed to helping him through. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Always willing to help an animal in need. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping this lovely animal.

Thank you honey. That's a wonderful compliment.

He's a cute little bug, and I don't mind admitting that last night he grabbed my heart with both hands and squeezed. I even got DH to promise that if I win the lottery I get to keep him, as long as he socializes to siblings. DH said, "Given the odds, I'd say that's a safe bet. Sure, I'll take it." Now, I just need to win and Harry needs to decide he LOVES other kitties.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sometimes, when we are troubled, the best thing we can do for ourselves is to help someone else. So you are helping Houdini, but just as importantly, he is helping you. Isn't it wonderful how it works out that way?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
rainwood|1479530042|4100469 said:
Sometimes, when we are troubled, the best thing we can do for ourselves is to help someone else. So you are helping Houdini, but just as importantly, he is helping you. Isn't it wonderful how it works out that way?

It really is. ((HUGS))

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is great news Gypsy! I am so glad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Awesome! Looks like kitteh has a great future now. :)

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Really happy to hear your wonderful news, Gypsy! You are awesome for what you've done for Houdini. :angel:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
This is squeezing my heart right up. So happy for Houdini and for you. And fingers crossed about that whole lottery thing!! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results