shape
carat
color
clarity

What have you chosen over bling?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am only willing to spend but so much on a purse. They do show wear and tear no matter how careful you try to be - at least if you are using them in everyday life. Diamonds are another matter to me - I will extend myself much further with them as they are timeless (even if it means resetting from time to time), insurable and long lasting. We all have to make choices regarding the things we love and my criteria is certainly not the same as someone else's. I don't envy you making the choice but given enough thought, I'm sure you will make the best decision for yourself!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I by and far spend most of bling since I'm not a clothes horse and I don't use purses and my feet are too small to find fancy shoes (I'm a child size 4..).

The other place I spend similar money on is travel!

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium
For me, it’s travel. Traveling with kids can get very expensive quickly. Last year we went to Whistler for a ski trip and with that money I could have bought 2 VCA bracelets. But I cherish the memories we make on these trips.

I totally get the purse thing. Prior to kids I hoarded purses from LV to Balenciaga to Chanel. I took great care of them. After having kids I couldn’t use them because the thought of finding rocks and unwrapped granola bars would irritate me (it’s like trying not to scratch your Cartier Love bangle with another bracelet). I ended up selling most of them and kept some classics.

If you’re really attached to this purse and will use it, I say go for it. The VCA bangle will always be there and it sounds like this is a limited addition.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
You love it..You can’t stop thinking about it..I think you should get it! They are adorable!

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
My parents. I've wanted diamond studs and maybe a diamond station bracelet for about 5 years now but something always seem to come up. One year they needed a new washer and dryer, then a fridge. A few years ago they wanted to convert their house from oil to gas heat since oil was so expensive. Then something was wrong with their sewer and the pipes leading to the main sewer had to be replaced. This year they needed a car.:(2 They no longer work and retirement income is miniscule. I shouldn't complain, they are my parents but at times I get a little envious looking at diamond studs:oops2:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My parents. I've wanted diamond studs and maybe a diamond station bracelet for about 5 years now but something always seem to come up. One year they needed a new washer and dryer, then a fridge. A few years ago they wanted to convert their house from oil to gas heat since oil was so expensive. Then something was wrong with their sewer and the pipes leading to the main sewer had to be replaced. This year they needed a car.:(2 They no longer work and retirement income is miniscule. I shouldn't complain, they are my parents but at times I get a little envious looking at diamond studs:oops2:

@dizzyakira, would you be able to contact me via this listing please?

https://loupetroop.com/listings/other/various-jewellery-items

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Phoenix, I forgot my password and I'm having trouble getting my password to reset in Loupetroop. I've sent them a message, so hopefully it'll be resolved soon.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom, apologies for the threadjack.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
@dizzyakira you are wonderful. I seriously hope you soon manage to get the studs you want and deserve! I hope karma comes back your way ASAP.
I can somewhat emphasise with the feeling you express. My fiancé thinks I am ridiculous when I express the following to him. I had a lot of savings but spent them all on my healthcare over the last 7 years. I had a severe medical condition which my insurance did not completely cover. Sometimes thinking of the amount I spent makes me feel nauseous :(2. Had I not used them I may not have been in a position to dream about bling haha. Now I am on the other side, although I am so grateful for my health and my life, I do wish I still had those savings to spend on the studs/necklace/etc I desire, or another house even! I know its silly to feel like this sometimes but I do.

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
@Matilda I'm sorry about your medical condition. Are you in the US? I can sympathize. It's insane to spend tens of thousands on insurance and then still be out thousands in medical expenses. I hope all is well now and you're able to get your bling sometime in the future.
I am far from wonderful! Lol I think this IS my karma. I was a terror in my youth. I just wish I was able to do more. They've been through the khmer rouge and life wasn't great for a while.
@LLJsmom, I'm sorry to hijack your thread. I hope you enjoy your new purse. It's gorgeous! Life is too short and you can't take any of that money with you. Might as well get something beautiful to enjoy.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dizzyakira @Phoenix hijack away. Not my thread. Just a place to chat. I haven’t decided yet but still letting emotions come down and trying to be honest with myself. I truly appreciate everyone’s story and am grateful that you are willing to share. Thank you so much.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here it is. I have calmed down a bit and don’t feel like I love it. I do like it a lot and it is VERY different from all my other bags. It’s unique and I can really appreciate all the detail and workmanship on the bag. I am not a big speedy person but if it smushes down a bit I would be more ok with it. I changed out the vache strap for another strap which I love much more. Made the bag so much more comfy. Comfort is EVERYTHING. That pencil bag is super cute but so not practical so it’s going back.

387C3EB7-3E3B-471C-A316-7F72B8F1DACE.jpeg
FC20CA70-96D6-4D96-AE46-DB372D0497CE.jpeg
0F269A92-A3CF-48DA-957D-ADF12CEF023E.jpeg

It’s fun and light hearted. I’m boring and basic. I wanna BE more fun and light hearted. I’m more comfortable with solid colors. :confused:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here it is. I have calmed down a bit and don’t feel like I love it. I do like it a lot and it is VERY different from all my other bags. It’s unique and I can really appreciate all the detail and workmanship on the bag. I am not a big speedy person but if it smushes down a bit I would be more ok with it. I changed out the vache strap for another strap which I love much more. Made the bag so much more comfy. Comfort is EVERYTHING. That pencil bag is super cute but so not practical so it’s going back.

It’s fun and light hearted. I’m boring and basic. I wanna BE more fun and light hearted. I’m more comfortable with solid colors. :confused:

:appl::appl:
I hear you on this last part. I struggle between wanting classic & timeless vs colorful & fun. Maybe give it a few weeks to see if it grows on you and if not you can always sell it.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right now it’s for the house. We bought a new mattress but then it was too high for me to easily get in to bed. So we ordered a new bedroom set. Oh now the carpet should be replaced. Since we are replacing the carpet I’d sure like to extend the hardwood floor in to the den and down the hallway. You know those area rugs are okay but I’d sure like something different. And so it goes.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That bag is super cute and will definitely increase in value - so many cat lovers in the world.
Even if you don’t wear it out, I’d definitely be finding a way of displaying it so you can see it - not stuffed in its bag in the wardrobe.
And get one of those Speedy insert things, they help the bag keep its shape.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congrats, @LLJsmom.:appl: That bag looks so much fun and comfy too. Wear it in great health and happiness.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love LV but that one doesn't speak to me personally. I would go for whichever one you would wear more. That is how I would choose.

I will be choosing a complete house re-do over bling in the new year. I could buy a whole lot of bling for what we are going to spend updating our 14 year old house. But I know I will love it every day when we are done.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Reminds me of a meme I saw a while ago 'life is short, buy the bag' :P2 Fellow bag hoarder here. Nothing wrong with 'collecting' and not using them ;)2 Though recently I've been trying not to pay full price and going with 'like new' items from resellers. Slightly less feelings of guilt that way.:mrgreen2:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can answer this Q the other way round. I have forgone my house renovation and bought bling instead, even though the house desperately needs to be renovated. 2 reasons: 1) house renovation is a hassle and I just don't have the energy to deal with it right now, and 2) bling is way more fun and a lot easier on the eye!:lol-2:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
food
More than once I have been hmmm do i want this bad enough to eat rice without meat for the next 2-3 weeks.
For more than a year I had rice for meals every day when I was trying to get my arm fixed.
These day my wifey4vr would never let me get by with rice all the time so it doesn't come up as much.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do a little splurgy gift to myself every bday and last year I went with a bag over chipping away at a long list of wardrobe/accessories I wanted to update.

Not as fancy as an LV or Hermes so maybe less of a dilemma in my case. No regrets even though I don't use it frequently. It gives me the warm fuzzies. :kiss2:

I think purses, jewelry, etc are all frivolities at the end of the day so prioritize what will give you the most satisfaction even if it's not rational :)

bottega_d13f4ba7-fec4-4980-832a-7be041ad2a78_500x.jpg
(Someone else's photo but same model)

What brand is this? Cute bag! Like you, I bought myself a bag for my bday, loved the experience :)

Mostly every mundane and practical thing comes before bling for me. Boring stuff. Stuff that does not fill me with joy. :P2 I often wonder why bling has SO MUCH appeal to me, because nothing else draws my attention like bling.

I am the same!

Both are luxury items so pick what you want. My personal choice is always bling. Purses go out of style, diamonds do not.

Agreed.

What’s wrong with basic? Basic = classic, if you ask me!

I haven’t bought clothes ALL YEAR because I love putting my money towards bling. I actually ended up spending $500 CAD on a birthday bag for myself... I realized I’ll spend $500 on a piece of jewelry without hesistation, but the thought of spending that on a bag seemed insane to me! So I try to think of the bag as a ring band, easy to wear, just WEAR it! But I also think of bags as positively fragile compared to bling.

Anyways I suspect you would get different answers on the purse forum ;-)

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What brand is this? Cute bag! Like you, I bought myself a bag for my bday, loved the experience :)

:appl::appl::appl:
oooh what did you get?! mine is a bottega veneta fenice (preloved). i sold another bag to make it "ok" in my mind to get this one. no regrets!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can answer this Q the other way round. I have forgone my house renovation and bought bling instead, even though the house desperately needs to be renovated. 2 reasons: 1) house renovation is a hassle and I just don't have the energy to deal with it right now, and 2) bling is way more fun and a lot easier on the eye!:lol-2:
WTG! Phoenix!:clap::clap:...one can't sport a house on their finger.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I chose Rockscaping my tiered yardo_O one year over bling:wacko: and a fence to give our fur babies a yard to run freely in.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
By far my biggest " fun" expense has been jewelry. Vacations are probably second. We went on a vacation in Dec. and in late Jan we are taking a trip to the gulf coast with all the kids together. It will be great having them all together and I will be taking lots of video.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I'm with @luv2sparkle - I don't love it either....between that and jewelry, for me, there would be no question.

The only thing I would, and have, chosen over bling, are vet bills. My two babies got very ill in their old age and I spared NO expense to give them a fighting chance to survive. I'm not big on handbags, shoes, perfume, makeup, traveling, cars, motorcycles, (anymore), but I do love jewelry. Now that I have diamonds, I don't wear all my other nice jewelry....I think I need to do something about that so I can buy more diamonds. :lol: :-o

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Computerized sewing/embroidery machines! TOL prices heading toward $20,000 ! My personal price point tolerance is $3,000 per machine. i have spent around $10,000 in total price on 4 machines the last ten years . Love to sew!!!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Computerized sewing/embroidery machines! TOL prices heading toward $20,000 ! My personal price point tolerance is $3,000 per machine. i have spent around $10,000 in total price on 4 machines the last ten years . Love to sew!!!

Whoa, cool hobby! I’ve done a little VERY amateur sewing, and it’s tough stuff! But so rewarding when it comes out the way I wanted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results