shape
carat
color
clarity

What happen to all the professional jewelers on PriceScope?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: What happen to all the professional jewelers on PriceSco

Oldminer|1416758206|3788997 said:
The debate about where all the professionals have gone is one of the reasons many have gone. While banning self promotion and some other elements, we still can beat each other up pretty well. We can do better within the rules of Pricescope. Maybe there could be a place where there would be fewer or no rules somewhere, but it would not be a place for suitable for consumers. Since that defeats the point of Pricescope, I guess it needs to be somewhere else entirely. I doubt most professionals would find such a place beneficial for spending time there and the forum would be run by the bullies who don't get along nicely. That is human nature, I suppose.

I agree with this and do think it identifies a large part of the issues.

Great observations Old Miner!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I third the idea of a discussion of top brand diamonds and their value over time. Anyone game?

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Garry H (Cut Nut)|1416788214|3789235 said:
I have just shown this box of diamonds to 8 of my staff.

I asked about Sergey's question 1:
Which is brighter - 7 said the cluster. Two chose the 1ct round. A few said the 1ct round looked darker.
Which is more brilliant 5 said the cluster and 4 said the the single stone

Which has more attractive firey flashes 3 said the cluster and 6 went for the single stone. One said there was no red in the smaller stones.
Most of the bright/ brilliance viewing was done at office fluoro light work stations. For fire I took people to the shop spot lighting areas as there is little or no fire visible at the work stations.

Question 2 (just me). In very low light the larger stone still has some 'life' - mainly as a result of contrast flashing.
in most lighting the larger stone is more attractive because it has bolder discernable flashes; this is exaggerated when i take off my reading glasses.

I do not have a +20ct stone :( But I expect is will appear rather boring - but it will have huge almost blinding flashes of sparkle brilliance and fire.
I would like to say thank Sergey and I hope I passed the test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwy-CPaXgOc

Hi Garry,
thanks for sharing information.

Did you use opening box during test? if not please open , clean all diamonds and repeat test. plastic cover significantly change diamond appearance.

During such tests Better to use special black and white holders with holes for diamonds .
Contrast between mele cluster and single 6mm is different for black and white holders.
P.s at least 2 persons from 9 during your tests selected mele cluster as most brighter but single 6mm as more brilliant . at least 2 persons from you staff see difference between brightness and brilliancy .( but some persons include fire in brilliancy. )

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Consumers would do such survey in High-end Jewelry shops easily. Most of such shops have
"Pave' Set Solitaire Diamond Ring"

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Gypsy|1416736416|3788880 said:
Here's the thing. This isn't a government intellectual think tank salon. This is a business. Just like a bar with bouncers.

If vendors OR consumers are rude or dismissive or insulting it drives AWAY consumers and posters. Having people fight, call others idiots, etc. is not good for moral. It does NOT encourage free speech and it does not make new posters comfortable to post here.

Do you think you a Whiskey makers has right to walk into a bar and start berating some hapless consumer for drinking something other than his Whiskey? Or for drinking Vodka? Or do you think it would be okay if consumer stood up to the Whiskey maker and was rude back and started a fight in the middle of the bar?

NO.
Is it okay for a Bar to post a sign that says "No shirt, no shoes, no service" or "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone."

Yes, of course it is okay.

Same applies here. What you seem to forget is this: This isn't some government run non-profit intellectual salon. It's a PRIVATE board owned by PRIVATE people trying to make a profit who are allowed to have as many BOUNCERS as they want and whatever rules they want.

Freedom of speech is all well and good. But freedom of speech does not equal: you can be rude and obnoxious wherever and whenever you want.

Think of this place as a privately owned bar. And you'll see why it is okay to have bouncers. And rules.

How many persons do remember Richard Sherwood ? He had been ban in 2009.
Do you remember why?
He received suggestion to continue post on PS, but he did not back. and I am understanding him very well.

He was not one who had been ban in 2008-2010 and it changed PS dramatically .
and we have PS which does not like new knowledge, lazy and prefer give standard and simple advices to consumers like:
"if you need round cut then buy AGS0 from any PS vendor. If you need Fancy cut then see GOG movies, sites."
I do not think that it is best option for PS business.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Serg|1416909545|3790133 said:
Here's the thing. This isn't a government intellectual think tank salon. This is a business. Just like a bar with bouncers.

If vendors OR consumers are rude or dismissive or insulting it drives AWAY consumers and posters. Having people fight, call others idiots, etc. is not good for moral. It does NOT encourage free speech and it does not make new posters comfortable to post here.

Do you think you a Whiskey makers has right to walk into a bar and start berating some hapless consumer for drinking something other than his Whiskey? Or for drinking Vodka? Or do you think it would be okay if consumer stood up to the Whiskey maker and was rude back and started a fight in the middle of the bar?

NO.
Is it okay for a Bar to post a sign that says "No shirt, no shoes, no service" or "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone."

Same applies here. What you seem to forget is this: This isn't some government run non-profit intellectual salon. It's a PRIVATE board owned by PRIVATE people trying to make a profit who are allowed to have as many BOUNCERS as they want and whatever rules they want.

Freedom of speech is all well and good. But freedom of speech does not equal: you can be rude and obnoxious wherever and whenever you want.

Think of this place as a privately owned bar. And you'll see why it is okay to have bouncers. And rules.

Do you remember why?
He received suggestion to continue post on PS, but he did not back. and I am understanding him very well.

and we have PS which does not like new knowledge, lazy and prefer give standard and simple advices to consumers like:
"if you need round cut then buy AGS0 from any PS vendor. If you need Fancy cut then see GOG movies, sites."

Thank you, Serg. I agree with you.

What I'd like to see is more discussions on RT about the pros/cons of specific angle combinations in rounds, e.g., 35 crown, 41 pavilion, and, yes, 60/60s. What happens now is when a new poster posts a link to a stone with proportions outside that dang "cheat sheet," the newbie is now directed to "safer" AGS0 stones from preferred vendors. Discussion over. I've seen newbies pass up many less expensive, and potentially just as beautiful, diamonds from local vendors or non-preferred vendors in favor of stones that fit the parameters of the "cheat sheet." Which is ironic, because the creator of the "cheat sheet" has said many times on this forum that it's a guide, not a Bible.

Don't even get me started on fancies. There is a certain vendor who has a cheerleader-poster who redirects every.single.newbie to that particular vendor for fancies.

If I were a vendor (especially a new vendor) reading these posts, I'd say to myself "why bother; this game is rigged," and not waste my time.

I do remember Richard Sherwood. He was still posting when I began reading PS. I learned a lot from him.

Rant over.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lula|1416923831|3790189 said:
Serg|1416909545|3790133 said:

NO.

Do you remember why?

Thank you, Serg. I agree with you.

What I'd like to see is more discussions on RT about the pros/cons of specific angle combinations in rounds, e.g., 35 crown, 41 pavilion, and, yes, 60/60s. What happens now is when a new poster posts a link to a stone with proportions outside that dang "cheat sheet," the newbie is now directed to "safer" AGS0 stones from preferred vendors. Discussion over. I've seen newbies pass up many less expensive, and potentially just as beautiful, diamonds from local vendors or non-preferred vendors in favor of stones that fit the parameters of the "cheat sheet." Which is ironic, because the creator of the "cheat sheet" has said many times on this forum that it's a guide, not a Bible.

Don't even get me started on fancies. There is a certain vendor who has a cheerleader-poster who redirects every.single.newbie to that particular vendor for fancies.

If I were a vendor (especially a new vendor) reading these posts, I'd say to myself "why bother; this game is rigged," and not waste my time.

I do remember Richard Sherwood. He was still posting when I began reading PS. I learned a lot from him.

Rant over.
I have an issue with fancies as well, regarding this particular vendor.

I've seen more than once this vendor require a deposit, then produce relatively lackluster results, or results above budget. It gets frustrating as a newbie sees a million people say how good this vendor is, they assume the results are guaranteed, and assume the stones presented are winners, whether they are or not.

I admit I am guilty of suggesting many of the same vendors because they provide a level of self service that makes searching easier. Also im no expert, but as experts find the general "find me a diamond?" Post too boring or limiting in terms of mod rules, i try to peovide what i can. But I agree we do people a disservice by trying to answer every question with one of a two prong response.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results