shape
carat
color
clarity

What gifts are you buying people this Christmas?

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

Just wondering if you, like me, tend to gravitate to buying your loved ones jewellery? Given its what I spend the majority of my free time thinking about it seems natural to end up buying jewellery as presents for others as well as myself.

This year I’m going mostly with Tanzanite as it’s my mother and daughters birth stones.

This is a ring I am getting my mum - she has one similar in lapis and silver but it’s getting a bit beat up. I thought it would be nice for her to have one she can wear for “best”. It also flies with the string of sapphire beads I bought her last year.

3B8BB39E-1911-49C1-B1F9-8FC1F6CED38C.jpeg

EC4D6406-2B42-427F-B730-F248D49C3506.jpeg

I’ve got my kids little tanzanite studs. And my husband the cufflinks and pin I already posted.

CF25C9DE-B417-4435-ABE4-4514177726B4.jpeg

I also bought my mum some little sapphire diamond hoops from effy to match the ring I got her for her birthday last year.

FE87A549-9210-4C73-9170-E91FEEC3F694.jpeg

This is the ring

7D8C16EC-DC9A-41C7-8B07-52B4491EA85A.jpeg

How about you guys?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We take the money we would have spent on gifts for each other and donate to our favorite animal charities.
We don’t need or want anything. But good health for all our loved ones.
We are getting our nieces gifts. But no one else.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Those are so beautiful! You made great choices! I hope the recipients love them!

As for me no. No jewellery for any of them. My 4 year old would just break it. I let her wear a silver cuff for 10 minutes and she almost snapped it in half :0 So she's getting fresh paper and no mess markers and a washable backpack to hold her stuff along with a couple stuffed animals. She loves dinosaurs so I'm helping her collect some different stuffed ones for birthdays and Christmas.

My husband is probably going to get a fun new coffee cup since he loves them. Somehow there's never enough mugs here when we need them!! And I'm going to find him some of his favourite chocolate and stuff the cup with a bag of it.

DMSUMAIYA

Rough_Rock
You are wonderful!!!! I will try this. It is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband doesn’t want anything. He just loves Christmas..and all the activity, cooking, and decorating that comes with it. He asked for a good shredder. :lol:
I give my adult children and DIL a nice check..but also a gift..My oldest son wanted to adopt a cat..so I paid for that..and all the paraphernalia that he needs. He could have paid for the cat himself..but he wanted the cat to come from me..He also let my 97 year old mom name him Smokey. My middle guy is getting two pairs of nice shoes..and boots. My DIL is getting two pieces of jewelry...They’re not mine but I do give her some things occasionally during the year. I can’t say what I’m giving her because she may see this..haha My son, David, has Autism..He LOVES Christmas as much as my husband and @mrs-b..He has Pottery Barn Grinch sheets that he keeps on all year. I have two sets that I switch out. This year I bought him a stuffed Grinch from Santa..and more Pottery Barn bedding. I purchased the Grinch quilt, duvet, and shams..He has a Grinch bathrobe and pjs too. He sings Christmas carols all year long..He’s a riot. He always makes me smile.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I often give my daughter jewelry - but I gave her a complete yellow gold set last birthday for her 21st, along with other things, so she's about as set as she should be for jewelry at this point. At her age, she needs wearable pieces, so she has 2 necklaces, a solid gold bangle like mine, hoop earrings and a casual ring - all in yellow gold - and pearl studs, 2 more necklaces, a charm bracelet in silver, and a white gold ring with a small diamond in it in white gold. So, like me, she has the two main metal colors covered. :)

Normally, at Christmas, I give her various things (this year, for example, she's getting all the shoes), but she always also gets one party outfit a year. This has actually been a good plan as she normally wears the outfit for Christmas dinner, then at various times throughout the year, and I'm never stuck with the last minute "I've been invited to a wedding/party/bar mitzvah/graduation - this Saturday - and I have nothing to weeeeeeear!!!"

My husband has a wedding ring. That's it for jewelry. I've bought him 3 or 4 pairs of lovely cufflinks in the past, but the shirts he prefers don't support them and he rarely wears them, so - no more. He likes computer bits and pieces for Christmas (he builds computers for fun in his spare time) or things to do with woodwork (another very-enjoyed pastime), and he always gets a dozen bottles of his favorite red wine plus all the decent movies that came out during the year. We are HUGE movie fans, and I think we're exchanging at least 40 movies with each other this year and various TV series. We like to get them on DVD so we can put them on our household movie storage system and have them forever. He'll get enough shirts and t-shirts to last him for the year, a big container (we use the same one each year) of his favorite candy, and a few gift cards to his favorite stores - Loews, Home Depot, Amazon, our local diner and our local cinema. It's not especially creative, but he likes it and I do it every year. So the wine, movies, gift cards, candy and t-shirts are standard every year, then there's normally one larger gift pertaining either to computers or woodwork, and maybe a couple of other bits and pieces.

Since I picked my own gift, I know I'm getting 2 beautiful cashmere sweaters, a nice handbag, a bunch of movies, and some Chanel soap. Oh - and I collect small, wooden jigsaw puzzles, so I'm getting one of those, too, and do every year. DH and I, when it's just us for Christmas, also have lovely Christmas Eve boxes with our names on them, which we put on our mantelpiece. We normally put candy, socks, undies, the movies, and gift cards in there. We're not doing that this year, tho, as everyone is coming to us, and we can't do boxes for everyone.

Anyway, no jewelry. I tend to get my own pieces as a hobby throughout the year, and for Christmas prefer to get other things. Do we need it? No. But we save up the things we'd normally buy during the year and do it as Christmas because it's fun and adds to the specialness of the day. :))

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to buy jewelry for my loved ones. I really wanted to buy my Mom pink sapphire Huggies. Unfortunately my Mom just isn’t that into jewelry and honestly I don’t trust her not to lose things. I typically buy my nieces fun costume jewelry (usually Betsey Johnson). They are far too young (7, 5, 5) for anything nice. The oldest has definitely shown interest so I can’t wait to buy her nicer pieces when she gets older. I mentioned to my husband that I’ve been wanting a luxury watch. Apparently he decided that he needed one so his Rolex arrives tomorrow and I will be wrapping it for Christmas. I have no reason to be bitter but I totally am. Like super irritated bitter. He totally deserves it though and Im trying hard to fake that I’m excited for him. Fingers crossed he doesn’t lose it. He lost his Apple Watch and has lost 2 wedding bands. My boys are 5 and 19 mos so I bought them tons of toys! I can’t wait to see their faces light up on Christmas morning! Watching their excitement on Christmas morning is the best feeling!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I often give my daughter jewelry - but I gave her a complete yellow gold set last birthday for her 21st, along with other things, so she's about as set as she should be for jewelry at this point. At her age, she needs wearable pieces, so she has 2 necklaces, a solid gold bangle like mine, hoop earrings and a casual ring - all in yellow gold - and pearl studs, 2 more necklaces, a charm bracelet in silver, and a white gold ring with a small diamond in it in white gold. So, like me, she has the two main metal colors covered. :)

Normally, at Christmas, I give her various things (this year, for example, she's getting all the shoes), but she always also gets one party outfit a year. This has actually been a good plan as she normally wears the outfit for Christmas dinner, then at various times throughout the year, and I'm never stuck with the last minute "I've been invited to a wedding/party/bar mitzvah/graduation - this Saturday - and I have nothing to weeeeeeear!!!"

My husband has a wedding ring. That's it for jewelry. I've bought him 3 or 4 pairs of lovely cufflinks in the past, but the shirts he prefers don't support them and he rarely wears them, so - no more. He likes computer bits and pieces for Christmas (he builds computers for fun in his spare time) or things to do with woodwork (another very-enjoyed pastime), and he always gets a dozen bottles of his favorite red wine plus all the decent movies that came out during the year. We are HUGE movie fans, and I think we're exchanging at least 40 movies with each other this year and various TV series. We like to get them on DVD so we can put them on our household movie storage system and have them forever. He'll get enough shirts and t-shirts to last him for the year, a big container (we use the same one each year) of his favorite candy, and a few gift cards to his favorite stores - Loews, Home Depot, Amazon, our local diner and our local cinema. It's not especially creative, but he likes it and I do it every year. So the wine, movies, gift cards, candy and t-shirts are standard every year, then there's normally one larger gift pertaining either to computers or woodwork, and maybe a couple of other bits and pieces.

Since I picked my own gift, I know I'm getting 2 beautiful cashmere sweaters, a nice handbag, a bunch of movies, and some Chanel soap. Oh - and I collect small, wooden jigsaw puzzles, so I'm getting one of those, too, and do every year. DH and I, when it's just us for Christmas, also have lovely Christmas Eve boxes with our names on them, which we put on our mantelpiece. We normally put candy, socks, undies, the movies, and gift cards in there. We're not doing that this year, tho, as everyone is coming to us, and we can't do boxes for everyone.

Anyway, no jewelry. I tend to get my own pieces as a hobby throughout the year, and for Christmas prefer to get other things. Do we need it? No. But we save up the things we'd normally buy during the year and do it as Christmas because it's fun and adds to the specialness of the day. :))

Is Chanel soap so good?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every once in a while I'll give my daughter some jewelry but she has a fair amount and all the basics. So I usually give her some gift cards, maybe some kind of clothing that I've found that I think she will like, cash, maybe something for her apartment if it's something that I think she needs and will use. I keep telling her not to buy me much as I have more of everything that I need and I'm in the clear out mode, not the acquiring mode. But I do see a few small things once in a while that I want so this year I asked for one of those "grow your own mushroom" kits. I use an Aerogarden to grow herbs in the winter (which she bought me a few years ago for Christmas) so I always ask her for some new pods. Nothing much more. I tell her not to spend her money on me. Other than that, I only send gifts to my sister, who's even older than I am so it's usually chocolate as she doesn't need to collect more stuff, and to my best friend of more than 50 years (and her husband, something stupid like a silly pair of socks). I'd rather buy a gift for someone when I just happen to see something that is so "them" that I have to send it to them, no matter the time of year.

DMSUMAIYA

Rough_Rock

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock

I’d love to see the pile of presents under your tree!! I like to get multiple things for people too. Not necessarily expensive things, and often, as you said, things which we would usually buy anyway but held off buying for weeks / months to make them Christmas presents. I just love people to have lots of packages to open

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to buy jewelry for my loved ones. I really wanted to buy my Mom pink sapphire Huggies. Unfortunately my Mom just isn’t that into jewelry and honestly I don’t trust her not to lose things. I typically buy my nieces fun costume jewelry (usually Betsey Johnson). They are far too young (7, 5, 5) for anything nice. The oldest has definitely shown interest so I can’t wait to buy her nicer pieces when she gets older. I mentioned to my husband that I’ve been wanting a luxury watch. Apparently he decided that he needed one so his Rolex arrives tomorrow and I will be wrapping it for Christmas. I have no reason to be bitter but I totally am. Like super irritated bitter. He totally deserves it though and Im trying hard to fake that I’m excited for him. Fingers crossed he doesn’t lose it. He lost his Apple Watch and has lost 2 wedding bands. My boys are 5 and 19 mos so I bought them tons of toys! I can’t wait to see their faces light up on Christmas morning! Watching their excitement on Christmas morning is the best feeling!

Ha ha, I’d be annoyed as well!! Plaster the smile on through gritted teeth. And make sure the next watch is for you!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We do 'a want, a need, a book, and some clothes' for our kids for Christmas. This year their 'need' was a new suitcase each, as we are going to Singapore for 2 weeks. They both wanted a drone, and I picked out books and clothes for them, which was easy as they both love reading. For the adults (my parents, brothers and inlaws) I put together hampers of yummy treats...wine, fancy chocolates, preserves, different types of tea, candles, shortbreads etc. Hubby is getting a few new pairs of shoes from me, as he can't stand shopping for things for himself!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I see it also comes in Coco Mademoiselle which is what I use exclusively..How long does a bar of soap last? I’m just talking out loud. :lol:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see it also comes in Coco Mademoiselle which is what I use exclusively..How long does a bar of soap last? I’m just talking out loud. :lol:

They last a while, and the perfume goes all the way to the end. It's not always particularly close to the bottle perfume - but No. 5 is delicious in any format. I, also, use Coco, and the soap in that is scrumptious. Chanel soaps always make my bathroom smell fabulous!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
They last a while, and the perfume goes all the way to the end. It's not always particularly close to the bottle perfume - but No. 5 is delicious in any format. I, also, use Coco, and the soap in that is scrumptious. Chanel soaps always make my bathroom smell fabulous!

Okay! I’m going to treat myself! Thank you!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock

@mrs-b you are brilliant. I love the party outfit idea! I’m not entirely sure when my children will stop growing, but whenever that happens, I’m stealing this idea. Love it!

As to the husband, I can relate. Mine also wears a wedding band and watch and that’s it. I have tried to get him to let me add a second wedding band in platinum (his original is yellow gold) but he said no. So I have done an additional watch. But his heart belongs to his Submariner (also a gift from me). At some point I will try to gift more watches, but with husbands, nicer gifts can really be a challenge! Would yours ever be interested in watches?

As to what I’m giving this year, my daughter is getting a Tiffany bean necklace in yellow gold, the 9mm one. We took a trip to Tiffany a few months ago and she lit up like a Christmas tree when she tried it on. She’s also getting several ear cuffs (she really loves them).

My son will get a watch, I just haven’t picked it out yet. And a watch strap. My watch guy showed me these fabulous watch strap called Erica’s Originals. They are the coolest, most comfortable watch straps I have ever seen.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b you are brilliant. I love the party outfit idea! I’m not entirely sure when my children will stop growing, but whenever that happens, I’m stealing this idea. Love it!

As to the husband, I can relate. Mine also wears a wedding band and watch and that’s it. I have tried to get him to let me add a second wedding band in platinum (his original is yellow gold) but he said no. So I have done an additional watch. But his heart belongs to his Submariner (also a gift from me). At some point I will try to gift more watches, but with husbands, nicer gifts can really be a challenge! Would yours ever be interested in watches?

As to what I’m giving this year, my daughter is getting a Tiffany bean necklace in yellow gold, the 9mm one. We took a trip to Tiffany a few months ago and she lit up like a Christmas tree when she tried it on. She’s also getting several ear cuffs (she really loves them).

My son will get a watch, I just haven’t picked it out yet. And a watch strap. My watch guy showed me these fabulous watch strap called Erica’s Originals. They are the coolest, most comfortable watch straps I have ever seen.

Hi @Tonks! :wavey:

I looked up the Erica's Originals, and they're fabulous! I might get one for my friend, David (Eleanor's dad).

Re watches, I bought DH a watch for our wedding and have upgraded it twice since then. He currently wears an Ebel watch with rose gold detail, and he loves it. I doubt I'll ever be able to get him to switch. Nor do I want him to, really; it looks wonderful on him.

The Tiffany bean necklace is a genuinely fabulous gift! I've wanted the bracelet in silver forever but have just never gotten around to getting it! Maybe one day. :))

As for the party outfit idea, *before* they stop growing is actually the best time to do it, because that's when they're bound to have "nothing that fits, Moooom!" from year to year. So that outfit (which always comes with shoes - and even a bag, if necessary - has come through in a pinch for us on multiple occasions! After they stop growing, the outfits can stockpile a bit, so I've eased back a trifle. But Eleanor is a clothes horse and loves fashion, so she always loves getting new things.

Here's a photo of Eleanor in her Christmas party outfit from 2020, which she wore to her 21st in early 2022. As I recall, there was also a very nice pair of Stuart Weitzman sandals that went with that outfit. As for the girl herself, I can't even imagine what it must be like to be that beautiful. <3

(...and Merry Christmas, Tonks!)

20220304_173933.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi @DMSUMAIYA -

I see that you're new here, so just a heads up on normal protocol. If you're going to cut and paste a section of one of my (or anyone's) posts, word for word, just make it clear it's a quote, okie dokie? I was reading 'your' post above, thinking to myself, "Yes! That's exactly how I feel, too! In fact...that's EXACTLY how I feel - because I said it!"

On the bottom right corner of every post, you'll see a 'reply' button. If you want to quote someone's post exactly, just hit that button and it will leave in their name and make it obvious you're quoting someone else. I hope this helps. :))

And welcome to PriceScope! :wavey:

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @Tonks! :wavey:

I looked up the Erica's Originals, and they're fabulous! I might get one for my friend, David (Eleanor's dad).

Re watches, I bought DH a watch for our wedding and have upgraded it twice since then. He currently wears an Ebel watch with rose gold detail, and he loves it. I doubt I'll ever be able to get him to switch. Nor do I want him to, really; it looks wonderful on him.

The Tiffany bean necklace is a genuinely fabulous gift! I've wanted the bracelet in silver forever but have just never gotten around to getting it! Maybe one day. :))

As for the party outfit idea, *before* they stop growing is actually the best time to do it, because that's when they're bound to have "nothing that fits, Moooom!" from year to year. So that outfit (which always comes with shoes - and even a bag, if necessary - has come through in a pinch for us on multiple occasions! After they stop growing, the outfits can stockpile a bit, so I've eased back a trifle. But Eleanor is a clothes horse and loves fashion, so she always loves getting new things.

Here's a photo of Eleanor in her Christmas party outfit from 2020, which she wore to her 21st in early 2022. As I recall, there was also a very nice pair of Stuart Weitzman sandals that went with that outfit. As for the girl herself, I can't even imagine what it must be like to be that beautiful. <3

(...and Merry Christmas, Tonks!)

20220304_173933.jpg

My youngest is an Eleanor too!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 10 y/o daughter got her ears pierced about 6 months ago so I have been on an earring-buying kick. I had custom bezel-set emeralds made for her but I’m going to wait til her bday in May to give her those, because I then picked up a pair of .10 diamond studs at a local jeweler. Also found the most darling delicate gold beaded style star necklace on the Replacements website, of all places. I was searching for a serving spoon to replace one I’d never received back from a gathering, and decided to take a look through their estate jewelry. Glad I did!

My niece is 14 and getting a custom sterling silver and royston turquoise ring from a vendor I found on IG. She raises goats and is very outdoorsy but loves jewelry, especially western-inspired pieces, so I thought this would be perfect.

I’m thinking about giving my mother the Madeira citrine ring I posted a couple months ago in CS that made JOTW. I’ve worn it a few times but I think it’s much better suited to her.

EB0D5A5B-E5B9-4267-92A1-B5CD88D29511.jpeg

Attachments

• 5343A4B0-936A-4231-8E2D-F20F092D36EC.jpeg
    5343A4B0-936A-4231-8E2D-F20F092D36EC.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 1

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi @DMSUMAIYA -

I see that you're new here, so just a heads up on normal protocol. If you're going to cut and paste a section of one of my (or anyone's) posts, word for word, just make it clear it's a quote, okie dokie? I was reading 'your' post above, thinking to myself, "Yes! That's exactly how I feel, too! In fact...that's EXACTLY how I feel - because I said it!"

On the bottom right corner of every post, you'll see a 'reply' button. If you want to quote someone's post exactly, just hit that button and it will leave in their name and make it obvious you're quoting someone else. I hope this helps. :))

And welcome to PriceScope! :wavey:

I thought that sounded like you @mrs-b!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results