color
clarity

What else are you all into?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
So much fun to read this thread.
I love spending time with my old 16 yo apricot poodle, gardening, walking, and of course shopping. Jewelry, purses, good sales and eating out (hate to cook)! We also collect cars. We currently have two convertibles. =)2
I used to make stained glass pieces but I have not done so in a few years. I enjoy a good historical fiction or non fiction book!
And I love my adult kids and my students...
These are a few of my favorite things...
0F1749FC-1AC5-4703-B071-52D0270867C1.jpeg

Love your pictures. The landscape is wonderful!
Your apricot poodle is darling.

filigreenyc

Rough_Rock
@winnietucker Aw thanks! I love to bake, and taught myself how to ice cookies with YouTube! I was really inspired watching the last season of The Great British Baking Show, the one with Kim-Joy, who makes such gorgeous iced cookies (she calls them biscuits, of course). I joke that every time I watch a new season, I gain 10 lbs, because I just have to try stuff out in the kitchen - and then eat the results!

@OdetteOdile I'm a bit of a dilettante, I enjoy trying new things. I got into corsetry because I went to renaissance-fair-like events in college (The Society for Creative Anachronism), and I've always been fascinated by the late-Victorian/Edwardian eras (not coincidentally, this is my era of interest with jewelry too!). Plus, what other hobby involves spring steel, aviation snips, boltcutters, lace, and silk as ingredients!? Sadly, when I moved to NYC, I gave up the space to sew and closed my business, but I did make one more corset in my tiny apartment - the one I got married in! Not that one, but below is a curvy overbust in pale blue cotton with an icy beaded lace trim:
DSCN0198.jpg

As for making video games, I work full time in tech, so there's some skill overlap there. I use programming languages to create small video games - usually during game jams, which are global remote competitions where a theme is announced, and people from all over the world make a game in 48-72 hours, and then upload it. Everyone plays all the games and votes. It's really fun (and hard!) to challenge yourself to make something fast that people enjoy. There's so much to do - code, art, music, and writing are all things that make a game!

@moneymeister It's nice to meet a data nerd! Genealogy is fascinating - my father is pretty into it, and I love to hear about what he digs up. As for painting, you could always do a bit of a fusion of styles. My aforementioned father is an architect, but also paints oil landscapes. He paints landscapes with a spartan, geometric, almost... architectural twist, and his paintings are very salable!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
game jams, which are global remote competitions
It's awesome that you do this! My fave game of all time started as an entry for the ‘7 Days FPS’ game jam in 2012. Six friends, and 72 hours! They won the competition and their game was crowdfunded.... and then eventually picked up by Bandai Namco - it's an incredible game with amazing sound design and theming. I wish the devs made more games afterward but alas it remains their only effort. If anyone wants to see the trailer, it is here:
(ps, no affiliation, i'm just a huge fan)

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
246DC307-B9D6-4173-8A00-C39CCE0C5CE8.jpeg
Most of mine are in its original boxes. I only have a few pieces out on display in my curio. I haven't bought a new piece in the past 12 yrs.

DSCN1974.JPG DSCN1969.JPG DSCN1965.JPG DSCN1963.JPG
@Dancing Fire : Those are some amazing crystal figurines ! I managaged to find some of mine that I wrapped in tissue and stuffed in a Tupperware, but know this is a portion of what I collected, I know I’m missing a mouse, a seal and a kitten with pink heart....I was a young collector, with very little $$$ at the time.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
@winnietucker Aw thanks! I love to bake, and taught myself how to ice cookies with YouTube! I was really inspired watching the last season of The Great British Baking Show, the one with Kim-Joy, who makes such gorgeous iced cookies (she calls them biscuits, of course). I joke that every time I watch a new season, I gain 10 lbs, because I just have to try stuff out in the kitchen - and then eat the results!

@OdetteOdile I'm a bit of a dilettante, I enjoy trying new things. I got into corsetry because I went to renaissance-fair-like events in college (The Society for Creative Anachronism), and I've always been fascinated by the late-Victorian/Edwardian eras (not coincidentally, this is my era of interest with jewelry too!). Plus, what other hobby involves spring steel, aviation snips, boltcutters, lace, and silk as ingredients!? Sadly, when I moved to NYC, I gave up the space to sew and closed my business, but I did make one more corset in my tiny apartment - the one I got married in! Not that one, but below is a curvy overbust in pale blue cotton with an icy beaded lace trim:
DSCN0198.jpg

As for making video games, I work full time in tech, so there's some skill overlap there. I use programming languages to create small video games - usually during game jams, which are global remote competitions where a theme is announced, and people from all over the world make a game in 48-72 hours, and then upload it. Everyone plays all the games and votes. It's really fun (and hard!) to challenge yourself to make something fast that people enjoy. There's so much to do - code, art, music, and writing are all things that make a game!

@moneymeister It's nice to meet a data nerd! Genealogy is fascinating - my father is pretty into it, and I love to hear about what he digs up. As for painting, you could always do a bit of a fusion of styles. My aforementioned father is an architect, but also paints oil landscapes. He paints landscapes with a spartan, geometric, almost... architectural twist, and his paintings are very salable!

That corset is beautiful! I love that era too. You are very talented.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Ok other things than bling.....sarah mclachlan is my world and has been since age 15! We plan vacations around seeing her in concert and I've met her a couple of times. I also love singing and after 11 years of not singing with a group, I auditioned for a classical choral and made it last night! So I will be singing again and getting my joy back. I also love walks in gardens...and my fiance proposed there so now I really love gardens! I love delicious food, cooking, making cheesecake, chilling outside with as glass of wine, sitting by a fire, swimming in the ocean, laughing, massages, relaxing, long walks, hiking, cross stitching, Broadway shows!!! Ok lots of fun things...I'm ready to do them!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Just have to say that I love the fact that your husband SEWS!!!! (among his gazillion other interests!) What does he sew? My husband is also the seamstress of our family -- he mainly does repairs but he's quite good at it. He also makes all the necessary adjustments to our teen daughter's ballet costumes and has been doing that since she was 4. People always crack up when they learn this fun fact about him because he's a macho guy and the sewing ability is unexpected. :lol:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@filigreenyc have you done anything for game jams for Epic Games? I confess I play Fortnite with my 11 year old :lol::lol::lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
246DC307-B9D6-4173-8A00-C39CCE0C5CE8.jpeg
@Dancing Fire : Those are some amazing crystal figurines ! I managaged to find some of mine that I wrapped in tissue and stuffed in a Tupperware, but know this is a portion of what I collected, I know I’m missing a mouse, a seal and a kitten with pink heart....I was a young collector, with very little $$$ at the time.
I bought 2 pieces of the "wild horses" and today it only worth half of what I paid. ;( I could of buy me a nice diamond with the money. ;(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Just have to say that I love the fact that your husband SEWS!!!! (among his gazillion other interests!) What does he sew? My husband is also the seamstress of our family -- he mainly does repairs but he's quite good at it. He also makes all the necessary adjustments to our teen daughter's ballet costumes and has been doing that since she was 4. People always crack up when they learn this fun fact about him because he's a macho guy and the sewing ability is unexpected. :lol:

LOL gotta love a guy who can sew right? Greg mainly does clothing alterations for the both of us but he sewed our spf bike canopy and he sewed a heat operated bike jacket for me. He was going to make a dress for me but this summer is crazy with a lot of stuff is happening so after it calms down I am holding him to that.:bigsmile:

Love that your dh sews your DD's ballet costumes. That is amazing. :appl:

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LOL gotta love a guy who can sew right?
@KristyDarling @missy My husband also took great interest to sewing too after I decided to learn how to sew. This year I he will have costumes sewing duties for both kids for sure! He's a wood worker for life so maybe it just comes naturally to him.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL gotta love a guy who can sew right? Greg mainly does clothing alterations for the both of us but he sewed our spf bike canopy and he sewed a heat operated bike jacket for me. He was going to make a dress for me but this summer is crazy with a lot of stuff is happening so after it calms down I am holding him to that.:bigsmile:

Love that your dh sews your DD's ballet costumes. That is amazing. :appl:

OK you MUST share the dress when he gets around to it!!! And wow, a high-tech jacket, too?? He must use a sewing machine, no? Stud!!

@KristyDarling @missy My husband also took great interest to sewing too after I decided to learn how to sew. This year I he will have costumes sewing duties for both kids for sure! He's a wood worker for life so maybe it just comes naturally to him.

I love it - a wood worker *and* a sewer!!! He sounds like a keeper!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20190830_170414.jpg

I enjoy playing my my flute in a Community college orchestra (but am currently out of commission from a broken clavicle). We also enjoy cruise vacations and have been on 38 so far with three more booked for 2020 - 21.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
20190830_170414.jpg

I enjoy playing my my flute in a Community college orchestra (but am currently out of commission from a broken clavicle). We also enjoy cruise vacations and have been on 38 so far with three more booked for 2020 - 21.
Is that your beautiful RG flute?. I don't see any CBI on you..
slap4.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK you MUST share the dress when he gets around to it!!! And wow, a high-tech jacket, too?? He must use a sewing machine, no? Stud!!

I love it - a wood worker *and* a sewer!!! He sounds like a keeper!

Yes, he has a few sewing machines that he enjoys using. He is a stud I agree. But I am biased. :kiss:

gregsewing.jpeg

My husband also took great interest to sewing too after I decided to learn how to sew. This year I he will have costumes sewing duties for both kids for sure! He's a wood worker for life so maybe it just comes naturally to him.

He's a keeper @Rubybrick.
What is it about woodworking and sewing? Seems like our men enjoy both.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@missy @Rubybrick @KristyDarling - yay sewing men! I’m another one of those. A couple of years back I was facinated by how garments were made, but was scared of sewing machines.

Got over that fear.. and now I quite enjoy sewing. The downside is that I’m not the fastest to finish a project, so my mental project list (and fabric collection) grows faster than my garment output.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy @Rubybrick @KristyDarling - yay sewing men! I’m another one of those. A couple of years back I was facinated by how garments were made, but was scared of sewing machines.

Got over that fear.. and now I quite enjoy sewing. The downside is that I’m not the fastest to finish a project, so my mental project list (and fabric collection) grows faster than my garment output.

Very cool, Chroman! What types of creations do you make on your machine?

All of you are inspiring me to look into this for myself as a new hobby! :geek2: OK so what's the best way to learn to sew with a machine?? Youtube videos? Classes? Books? Are there any sewing machines that are portable enough to be put away and out of sight? (I live in a city house with limited square footage)

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very cool, Chroman! What types of creations do you make on your machine?
I’ve done a few button up shirts, and I’m trying to finish my second pair of jeans. Those are an adventure.

I’ve also done an outfit for my wife, who has periodic large speaking engagements around the country. That was a learning project! Fitting for another body, different garment and fabric types..

All of you are inspiring me to look into this for myself as a new hobby! :geek2: OK so what's the best way to learn to sew with a machine?? Youtube videos? Classes? Books? Are there any sewing machines that are portable enough to be put away and out of sight? (I live in a city house with limited square footage)

The basic mechanics of machine sewing isn’t too hard - you could probably pick it up from youtube videos or a library book.

My machine is on the larger side, but I can still stash it in the closet if need be. But sewing requires a number of little bits and pieces (cutting tools, pressing tools, measuring tools, etc) that just seem to accumulate. I’ve got a tackle box full of odds and ends.

Think about what you might want to sew. Some people are into quilting, some people love bags, others embrodery, and others like clothes. The eventual machine you might want prob depends on your interests.

Check around if there are any sewing machine dealers in your area. That’s a good resource for test-driving machines, and they often have classes at all levels.

To me, the more challenging (and rewarding) part of sewing clothes is fitting. These days, FB groups can be a great resource for help - post a photo and ppl help diagnose fit issues and suggest things to try. They’re also a good source of inspiration.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@chroman : Thanks for the helpful pointers!! I think I'd probably start with something like a tote bag, since you can never have too many of those. And it would be amazing to be able to make stuff for my kids to wear, though they're probably too "cool" to wear anything made by Mom (they're teenagers) :roll:
Classes would probably be a good idea at this point. I can get a taste and see whether it's something I enjoy before deciding to splurge on a machine. :geek2:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Other than jewelry, I collect books. (And of course I read a lot.) For my favorite books, I will collect any version I see that I don't already own. I also enjoy antiques, letterpress, fine bindings, etc. Just like with jewelry, the thrill of the hunt is a large part of the joy. (This is even ignoring all the regular books I own, of which there are, uh, quite a few.) I am going to London later this year and I am worried that I may encounter enough good stuff in the bookstores to warrant a second suitcase or a hefty shipping fee!

And of course my cats! I love hanging out with my cats. The younger one does agility, just at home for fun, but he loves it and it's super entertaining to me. He doesn't understand the winding-through-the-poles bit at all, but he loves the hurdles and sometimes even when I'm not taking him through the course he will run around just jumping hurdles. It is super cute because he's basically a large round cotton ball that likes running and jumping. The older one will only do any of the agility obstacles if they are between him and the door out of the room. :lol: He is more of a lounge around and look pretty cat!

I have always enjoyed theater and lately I have had the opportunity to go to NYC to see more. I have made it out at least once a year for several years now. Then of course I see things here and watch some of the Fathom Events broadcasts of shows. I like musicals more than plays usually, and opera in between. My favorite thing I have seen this year is Moulin Rouge. It has pretty much everything beat in terms of sheer spectacle. I was always so-so on the movie despite loving the actors and the soundtrack, but the musical is fairly different and I liked the changes a lot.

I’m into a lot of the stuff already mentioned, shopping for anything is my #1 hobby. ...
I’m bummed that none of the above are real hobbies though. I want to find SOMETHING I can do when I’m retired with a fixed income, and shopping all day is NOT an option.

SAME. The problem is just that I want everything, and I can't just buy a thing and have that be the end of it - I have to research all about it and that sets off a mini-obsession and then I invariably spend a couple of months shopping for a thing and maybe even getting a mini-collection, before moving on to the next thing.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dogs are a large part of our life. The last few years we have lost 2 (recently just lost our buddy) due to old age. I am training our last remaining sweetie because he came to us as a puppy, and while well behaved, I realized I let the other dogs raise him and the extra training keeps his mind exercised. It will also help when we add another rescue dog to the family.

DH and I also like tend to the 1 acre yard. We have a vegetable garden, and I grow a variety of plants. We have milkweed for the Monarchs, some indigenous pollinator plants, and even cold hardy banana trees.

I work out- but not so much in the summer because DH takes the dog for a 2 mile walk in the morning and I take him for a 1 mile walk in the late afternoon. Between yard work, and the walk I figure I get enough exercise.

I also have a small basement pond for the goldfish that I never wanted who kept outgrowing his tanks. It was a feeder goldfish that someone "rescued" and didn't want to care for. After spending about $500 in fish tanks I said enough and bought a large stock tank and made him a pond. I use a full spectrum LED light and grow plants in the tank for visual interest. Sometimes I pull up a chair and just gaze into the pond.

I like to read and read at least one book a week. Usually before I go to sleep I read for awhile and when I am at work I read during my lunch break.

We spend time with the Grandkids who are always a joy to be around. I spend a lot of time with my Godson who is 12. He usually spends the night at least once a week. He keeps me on my toes.

So pretty boring- that's me.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Dogs are a large part of our life. The last few years we have lost 2 (recently just lost our buddy) due to old age. I am training our last remaining sweetie because he came to us as a puppy, and while well behaved, I realized I let the other dogs raise him and the extra training keeps his mind exercised. It will also help when we add another rescue dog to the family.

DH and I also like tend to the 1 acre yard. We have a vegetable garden, and I grow a variety of plants. We have milkweed for the Monarchs, some indigenous pollinator plants, and even cold hardy banana trees.

I work out- but not so much in the summer because DH takes the dog for a 2 mile walk in the morning and I take him for a 1 mile walk in the late afternoon. Between yard work, and the walk I figure I get enough exercise.

I also have a small basement pond for the goldfish that I never wanted who kept outgrowing his tanks. It was a feeder goldfish that someone "rescued" and didn't want to care for. After spending about $500 in fish tanks I said enough and bought a large stock tank and made him a pond. I use a full spectrum LED light and grow plants in the tank for visual interest. Sometimes I pull up a chair and just gaze into the pond.

I like to read and read at least one book a week. Usually before I go to sleep I read for awhile and when I am at work I read during my lunch break.

We spend time with the Grandkids who are always a joy to be around. I spend a lot of time with my Godson who is 12. He usually spends the night at least once a week. He keeps me on my toes.

So pretty boring- that's me.

Hi LisaRN, I love that you take such good care of your goldfish! I am a fish keeper too :razz: Your basement pond sounds amazing and I would love to see a picture!! Although we only have a Betta right now, I can safely say my true love is goldfish - the feeder kind!! How big is your guy? How long have you had him?

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Love this thread! So fun to see what else everyone is into.

I’m into martial arts, specifically tae kwon do. Earned my second degree black belt this spring. This was never something I saw myself doing but I absolutely love it. Because of the martial arts I am also into weight lifting. Started to rehab some injuries and try to proof against future injuries, and to my surprise I love it by itself. So I’m at the dojang and the gym all the time. And y’all. No one warned me about the LAUNDRY inherent in being a fit person. Omg. I do laundry all the time but it’s all uniforms and gym clothes.

We have two dogs that I absolutely adore, and I spend an absurd amount of time doting on them. They are bichons and the perfect breed for us.

I love watches but honestly I don’t have the funds to be a serious collector right now. I have a few pieces and love them.

I enjoy photography and am not bad at it, but I don’t devote the time to it that I should. When the kids are out of the house I will go back to it. I find it very calming. What I love is macro photography, specifically flowers and plants. People are too stressful. Flowers take direction really well.

Oh, yeah—reading. Have always loved books. They’re my favorite escape. As I’m sure you can tell from my screen name, I love Harry Potter. It has been such a joy to introduce my children to the magical world via those books.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
@Tonks I love your user name and your memorable avatar!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi LisaRN, I love that you take such good care of your goldfish! I am a fish keeper too :razz: Your basement pond sounds amazing and I would love to see a picture!! Although we only have a Betta right now, I can safely say my true love is goldfish - the feeder kind!! How big is your guy? How long have you had him?

Here is a pic of the pond when I first set it up. It is a work in progress. I tried to create a gravity fed filter but the bulk head fittings kept leaking due to my choice of a trash can for the filter. So my plan is to use the 100 gallon "pond" you see here as a filter and upgrade the stock tank to a 300 gallon size. I will connect the drain in this tank to the drain in the 300 gallon tank via PVC. Then I will put the pump in the smaller tank which will draw water from the larger tank. I will angle the intake pipe (45 degree) on the smaller tank so the water swirls and it will become a setting tank for the debris. Then as the water moves up it will go through media filter and plants and back into the larger pond. I will also use a check valve in between the tanks so that when I need to clean the filter tank no water from the main tank enters the filter tank. Since this is my laundry room there is a drain in the floor and I have an extra water spigot that enables me to fill the tank when I change the water.

Goldfish is about 4 years old. He is about 5 inches long and thick. Also very full of personality. He used to throw a fit in his other tank when I came in the room. Splashing and such to get attention for me to feed him.

IMG_1673.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results