shape
carat
color
clarity

What else are you all into?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Obviously everyone here likes jewelry. I was just curious what else you're all interested in.

I like orchids. I flew home recently to help my grandma after surgery and spent hours looking at orchids at Walmart, Lowes, and various nurseries. I probably browse orchid websites almost as often as I browse diamond websites... When I was a kid my grandfather would always take me to Akatsukas and we'd just browse before going to park. It was a little ritual we had that I still do (in the exact order and everything) when I'm in town.

I like gardening. We moved to a new house that's full of blackberry bushes so gardening is on hold this year. But I told my husband that I need raised beds and an area to make my own pumpkin patch next year!

I'm also very interested in animals. I have two Pembroke Corgis. One we got online from a lady who no longer thought he'd be a good fit in her home. Super glad we got him! She said he had aggression issues but he's been such a sweetheart. I also have a cat (also from someone who just no longer wanted him) and 4 chickens. I'm trying to convince my husband I need a llama or a cow but he's not going for it... If I were better at math and science (and not a giant pansy) I would have loved to have been a vet.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depression glass, rugs and remodeling!

My best friend from law school bought me some depression glass wine glasses about 20 years ago for X-mas and the bug bit me. I limit myself to glasses because if I went down the path of plates, cups, bowls, etc., I really would have to buy a 2500 storage space... As it is I have over 500 wine glasses in clear, yellow, pink, green, purple and blue. (I do have two bowls that were acquired under unusual circumstances, so I made that exception.) My "rule" is that I have to find them in the wild; I just don't think buying stuff on ebay or sites like that is "sporting." (Yes, I am a little crazy... ) My dad did get me a set of almost impossible to find blues for xmas last year from ebay, but they were a *gift* so that's ok!

Rugs... oh my... don't get me started. I currently have about half a dozen orientals rolled up in storage (I'm in the process of moving) and I've given that many away over the past five years. I love rugs almost as much as I love jewelry! My favorites at the moment are two Turkish prayer rugs, similar style but very different colors, one wool and one silk. They are long and narrow (runner size) and I like to hang one of those over my bed as art.

And remodeling. Oy. I've done seven gut rehabs in a row, the most notable of which involved converting an old photography studio into my residence (I just sold that one in April) and this coming weekend I'll gain access to a unit I bought just off of Michigan Avenue. The reno on that won't be nearly as extensive as it's a unit in a large building, but it will be a reno nonetheless. There was also the tiny house on Lake Michigan a few years ago, ranking high on my fun project list.

Sorry for the novel -- I bet you're sorry now that you asked! :cheeky:

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock

My best friend from law school bought me some depression glass wine glasses about 20 years ago for X-mas and the bug bit me. I limit myself to glasses because if I went down the path of plates, cups, bowls, etc., I really would have to buy a 2500 storage space... As it is I have over 500 wine glasses in clear, yellow, pink, green, purple and blue. (I do have two bowls that were acquired under unusual circumstances, so I made that exception.) My "rule" is that I have to find them in the wild; I just don't think buying stuff on ebay or sites like that is "sporting." (Yes, I am a little crazy... ) My dad did get me a set of almost impossible to find blues for xmas last year from ebay, but they were a *gift* so that's ok!

Rugs... oh my... don't get me started. I currently have about half a dozen orientals rolled up in storage (I'm in the process of moving) and I've given that many away over the past five years. I love rugs almost as much as I love jewelry! My favorites at the moment are two Turkish prayer rugs, similar style but very different colors, one wool and one silk. They are long and narrow (runner size) and I like to hang one of those over my bed as art.

And remodeling. Oy. I've done seven gut rehabs in a row, the most notable of which involved converting an old photography studio into my residence (I just sold that one in April) and this coming weekend I'll gain access to a unit I bought just off of Michigan Avenue. The reno on that won't be nearly as extensive as it's a unit in a large building, but it will be a reno nonetheless. There was also the tiny house on Lake Michigan a few years ago, ranking high on my fun project list.

Depression glass is so interesting! I feel you on the need to find it in the wild mindset. I have a couple items like that with. It makes the find more exciting!

I also love that your interests are so unique! I'm not going to lie, it wasn't what I was expecting. How'd you get interested in rugs? I definitely see the appeal. I wanted to buy a beautiful one we saw pre-owned but nice things and my animals don't really mix.

Do you do the remodeling yourself? We did one and my husband is 100% over it. We DIY-ed a good portion of it. It takes way, way more time/energy/money than HGTV lets on. I love your enthusiasm for it! And your ability to do 7... that's a real feat.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

@Dee*Jay care to share any photos? Would love to see some of your rugs and projects.:P2 My MIL shared your love for depression glass. She had plates and glasses in green and pink.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be careful what you wish for -- I've got over 40,000 photos on my phone! :lol:

Yes, I will find some rug and renovation pics and post them. I promise to be very selective and not take over the thread! Give me a day or two to peruse and post a few.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’m obsessed with Eileen Fisher clothes. Mostly for work, because it’s expensive! But her stuff is flattering on different body shapes, and makes all-black work ensembles interesting with cut and texture and luxe materials. Who says you can’t wear silk chiffon under a wool blazer?

Until recently I was into cat rescue. That door has closed now but I saved 15 souls. Maybe I’ll get back into it someday but probably not. The house seems so quiet now with only 3 cats. Soon to be only 2, as one is nearly sixteen years old. She was the first foster, and the last foster-fail.

Gaming! Borderlands, Half-Life, Portal, Deadcore, and so many more. All first-person shooters. I don’t have weapons in real life. I’m a pacifist in person. But I love video games!

Poetry. Yeats, Rilke, Housman, Tennyson.... maybe I should start reading some female poets.... hmmm...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
downloadfile-52.jpg
this is my number one obsession
well not so much an obsession as a lifestyle choice if drinking water and breathing air is a lifestyle choice
my life just wouldn't work with out Bruce

ive made friends all over the world thanks to him
unfortunately i don't have the funds and i live too far away to go to as many concerts as my friends plus my other half hates him but when he's touring we follow every concert as it happens and its alot eaiser to be a long distance fan nowdays because you can buy great audios of the shows like a week latter, (trading bootlegs was just too hard for me)
sometimes on our online community it gets a bit heated and sometimes political so i like coming here for something completly different
incidently i stopped pearcing my ears at 3 each because that's what he has

ive been on the front row only twice and ive touched him (his arm) he felt warm and expensive and smelt really really nice

when we brought our house my one big condition was i had to have a Bruce room so that's our 4th bedroom and one day it will look awsome !
my long suffering other half does not understand why i need the same song 400 different times (for every song) but each time is different
i wish i lived in New Jersey

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wine! I have 163 bottles at a storage facility. I’m big on New World cabs and syrahs.

I also enjoy cooking from scratch.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be careful what you wish for -- I've got over 40,000 photos on my phone! :lol:

Yes, I will find some rug and renovation pics and post them. I promise to be very selective and not take over the thread! Give me a day or two to peruse and post a few.
I'm inviting myself over once I have play $$$, a cat sitter, and vacation days!

I love projects. I've immensely enjoyed renovating both of my homes. Home A is currently vacant, fully furnished. Home B is my brothel. Since this was all me, I decide to bling up the place with blingy lights and mirrors with beaded edges (milgrain). The brothel has rugs in every room so the cats dont skid out. That's about it. I have a bed, 2 kitchen counter stools, a sofa, tv stand, tv and a bench for the cats to sit on and stare out the window. The brothel is too big for me, and I dont think I'd live long enough to fill it up. I dont have pots or pans in the brothel either. I pretend I'm a frat boy surrounded by pussy, but I'm the widow cat lady.

I like crocheting. A lot. My stash is in home A though.

I like buying pianos. If I am still at the brothel in a few months, I'd like to treat myself to a digital piano. That way, I can play with headphones and not disturb my neighbor below. I have a black concert grand in my parents' house, an off white baby grand in home A, and I think a mahogany digital one would round out the collection if I get one for the brothel.

I have enjoyed having a new home with empty closets. I buy a new piece to wear to work on the regular now. J crew and stitch fix are taking care of me lol. I really like linen lately. Its soft and rumpled (like my ass).

And I love sleeping. I think I'm finally ready to drift off...:sleep:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hermes handbags, houses/ apartments, cats...not necessarily in that order.

And definitely healthy living, healthy eating, exercise etc...This is the most important thing.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My horses and my dogs. The barn cats tolerate us just enough to make sure we feed them.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apart from jewellery-
I really love perfume & makeup but strangely I’m not super girly :think: I’ve got a small curated collection of mostly Tom Ford makeup & half a dozen perfumes. I really got into Oud/Arabian style stuff whilst overseas. I try hard not to get caught up on forums as it encourages “feeling the need for more or the latest thing” :doh: which I cannot really afford! I also love skiing, horse riding and obviously my dog.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I’m into a lot of the stuff already mentioned, shopping for anything is my #1 hobby. Clothing (mainly shoes), home decorations, even groceries! Really into my kids (human and fur), and staying physically active, so somewhat of a gym rat during the week, and hiker on weekends.

I’m really into cars (for a chick). Often comparing and researching cars for myself, family, acquaintances. I have always been know as the chick with the cool car. My cars are never just utilitarian, they also have to look good....so roof racks, window tint, tow hitch covers, license plate frames, rims, tires etc are all customized to “have a certain look”.

I’m bummed that none of the above are real hobbies though. I want to find SOMETHING I can do when I’m retired with a fixed income, and shopping all day is NOT an option.

angeljosephy

Rough_Rock
Premium
I’m bummed that none of the above are real hobbies though. I want to find SOMETHING I can do when I’m retired with a fixed income, and shopping all day is NOT an option.

This bit is so true! My husband is a big gym junkie. When he's at the gym, I have nothing much to do apart from taking the dog out. I spend the rest of my time playing games on my mobile phone.:wall: I'd love to find a meaningful hobby so that I can make good use of my time too.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like orchids. I flew home recently to help my grandma after surgery and spent hours looking at orchids at Walmart, Lowes, and various nurseries. I probably browse orchid websites almost as often as I browse diamond websites...
I love orchids too but I manage to kill most of them. My fav. one (first pic below) is dying..;( the last two are dead!. ;(The most I ever paid for single plant was over $200 and I kill it...;(. Some I have had for over 3 yrs that are still alive, but never bloomed...:confused:. I have about 12 plants left for me to kill. :(sad

Carnea May2017a.JPG
img_8464-jpg.438716

photo66-jpg.402571

Last edited:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh dear, I think all of PS can probably answer this one for me lol but I'm a mad keen fisherman. I have also been playing bass guitar for 15 years and have played in everything from acoustic duos to Satanic Black Metal bands :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This bit is so true! My husband is a big gym junkie. When he's at the gym, I have nothing much to do apart from taking the dog out. I spend the rest of my time playing games on my mobile phone.:wall: I'd love to find a meaningful hobby so that I can make good use of my time too.
Only rich people have pets in HK. Must be nice to be a rich Attorney. :$$)::clap:. Angel you must treat me to (yum cha) :wink2: if I ever return to HK.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dh and I love cycling together by the sea and we own 3 tandems and cycle thousands of miles during cycling season. Living in the NE only allows us to cycle part of the year but we make the most of it.

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 5.09.51 AM.png

calfeetandem.jpg

We also are involved in animal rescue and TNR of the feral cats in our neighborhood as well as feeding and sheltering them and we find homes for those who are not true ferals.
Here's the feral feeder my dh built.

feralfeedingstationwithfood.jpg

feralfeederonporch.jpeg.png

My dh loves woodworking and working with his hands and building things. I reap the benefits. And he built the feral cat feeder that is amazing as it holds 40 lbs of food and operates remotely so when we are not at the beach house we can still feed the feral cats. He also built our library room with all the bookcases in NYC and both of our King bed headboards and radiator covers and many other things.

Library Bookshelves.jpg

He built our outdoor table that seats 10 people. Made of Ipe wood.

outdoordiningtableandbenchesbuiltbygreg.jpg

outdoordiningtablebuiltbydh.jpg

He also built the BBQ at our previous beach house.

seagirtbbqbygreg.jpg

He also loves cooking and baking and gardening and sewing too. And is an audiophile and has built a number of speakers from scratch. He loves music (and so do I but I have no skill or talent in building or creating anything).

pumpkinhangingoutwithappleohsogood.jpg

christmascookies2018.jpg.png

I share what he loves because he is way more interesting than me. :P2

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
I love a good garden, so I visit my local Botanical Gardens on a regular basis to enjoy walking in a beautiful green space. My gardening efforts go as far as growing fresh herbs in pots and doing my best to keep the ground covers and climbers alive in times of irregular rainfall, that’s about all the time I can devote to it.

I love Pilates (can’t live without it) and I like walking and hiking in nature. Snorkelling on a reef is good fun too. I have snorkelled with Manta Rays and it was a beautiful experience. They certainly gave me the impression that they are sentient beings who are every bit as curious about us as we are about them.

I am a bit of a birdwatcher, much like my cats, but I actually have a book where I like to tick off what I have seen.

I love to learn and I am generally interested in natural history, psychology, and research on health and fitness. Yes I am definitely a bit of a nerd.

Most of all though it is lovely to get together with old friends and have a laugh. It may not be a hobby, but it certainly feeds the soul.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Art - mostly antique oils from Belgium, France, and England, American folk portraits, and a smattering of modern art for good measure

Antiques - preVictorian and Victorian Staffordshire figures and pottery, Majolica, American Brilliant cut glass, English transferware, and Chinese export porcelain. I also just love interesting, fun junk! At least once a week, I hit up a few antique stores, both high and low end.

Dishes - pottery, China, formal, informal

Interiors - obsessed with creating the perfect casual Southern home with strong English country influences, I worship James Farmer.

Honestly, these passions are much more time/money consuming than jewelry for me.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hermes bags and scarves
African violets
Gardening
Etro sweaters and tops
Concerts, plays & movies

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I love ballet - specifically going to the ballet. I love learning about it, reading reviews, and talking to my best friend about it. My dream is to have an apartment in NYC and to be able to go to the ballet almost every night. I have so much admiration for these dancers who dedicate their lives to this art!! For now, I try to see a performance about 6 or 8 times a year. Now that I am learning more about jewelry, and finding several pieces I would like, I am trying to balance that with how many ballet tickets I could buy for that same amount.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reading: I go through 2-4 books a month, both fiction and non fiction.

Glass art: it’s just beautiful to me. I recently discovered that Jack Storm did a limited run of his cold glass for jewelry. Naturally snapped one up. Also have a moonfish by Satava. And many smaller glass art pieces.

Dog mom: love my fur baby and all pets in general.

Travel: 11+ countries and county. Next up is probably Germany or Costa Rica.

Art: I don’t do this regularly enough but I do love drawing and painting.

Games: table top gaming but also video games when I have time and motivation!

Eating: I just love food and like trying out new places and types of food.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I'm currently in the middle of remodeling a house while being determined to spend almost no money. I can find the cheapest cutest stuff you can imagine. It's my hidden talent.

I love cats, all other animals, photography (I make money selling them on Shutterstock), books, writing, handbags, and shoes. It's a full life.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Other than jewelry.......
I am interested in vintage and antiques. I have a space in an antique mall.
So I spend at least 1 day a week out hunting yard sales, and estate sales looking for good stuff to put in my booth.
Of course I keep the best things. I have collections of Staffordshire transferware, sterling silver, art glass, pottery and I love love love Asian furniture and decor.
Also, I am an amateur silversmith. Making my own jewelry scratches my creative itch.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like hunting around for old stuff, vintage toys especially mostly 80's stuff because that's when I was growing up.

Surely I'll have more interests developed after my kids start school tomorrow. For the first time in 12 years I will have nobody home during the day. Is it terrible that I'm rather looking forward to this new transition?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I love orchids too but I manage to kill most of them. My fav. one (first pic below) is dying..;( the last two are dead!. ;(The most I ever paid for single plant was over $200 and I kill it...;(. Some I have had for over 3 yrs that are still alive, but never bloomed...:confused:. I have about 12 plants left for me to kill. :(sad

Carnea May2017a.JPG
img_8464-jpg.438716

photo66-jpg.402571

Isn’t that the best part of orchids? They’re so finicky sometimes that when you can get them to rebloom it’s so rewarding! Yours are gorgeous! Are you part of your local orchid society?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results