shape
carat
color
clarity

What Does Your SO HATE To Spend Money On?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
We need a new roof. Our house is 24 yrs old, not the best built in the world, and we've had some monster storms over the 7 yrs we've been here -- 2 wks ago one with big, bad hail. It's the original roof up there. So DH looks like a deer in the headlights when I tell him the roofer says it's a goner. He HATES to spend money where it doesn't show -- as in, anything other than decor. We go through this process every time we need to do something major. Aaarrrgh!

He goes nuts when I get the chimney cleaned. Crabs when the termite/bug guy comes to check the crawl space -- in the South termites can be a problem. At this age, everything in the house is reaching its dotage: this year we put in a new well pump and a new HVAC unit, sigh. If I mention concern about moisture in the basement & mold in this humidity, I'm a worry-wart.

Until he accepts the inevitable, it's my fault for wildly spending money on things "nobody notices." As if I'll get such a thrill out of a new roof, I couldn't resist the temptation! I think it would be okay with him if the house crumbled around him, as long as the wallpaper is nice & the upholstery elegant. After 33 years I should be used to it but I don't know whether to laugh or commit murder -- do you think a jury w/women on it would convict??? :twisted:

What things do your "roomies" go postal about spending money on?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry about your roof Laurie! It served you guys well for a long time but it does suck when major repairs need to be made. I always think what bling I can buy with that money LOL.

In our relationship my dh doesn't mind and in fact is the proactive one when it comes to making sure to keep things functioning as they should. I am the one who gets upset and doesn't want to spend money on these things (though I know he is right and we usually end up spending the money).

Case in point, we recently moved to a beautiful house right on the beach and it actually has grass and a garden out front and back which is rare with homes right on the beach (at least where we live). Since this is our part time home right now I hate to spend money on landscaping etc and wish we could take care of it ourselves as my dh loves to garden. However, since we have limited time at the house we need to hire someone to care for the lawn and garden and I have been resisting because the $$$ really adds up. At our last part time house we spent many thousands a year on upkeep of the lawn and I was hoping we could avoid that here especially since the main draw is the ocean and not the flowers and grass and trees. But as my dh points out we have little choice as we do not want to let it start looking like crap. Then we must start on getting a new bulkhead which costs big bucks. Again, I would prefer to wait on that but my dh wants to be proactive and not risk waiting as it is a long process to get a new bulkhead with permits and all.

Sigh, it always seems as if we are hemorrhaging money these days :knockout:

I wish you luck in getting your new roof and may it last you a very long time!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
DH hates to spend $ on anything he can do himself. But last year we needed a new heat pump, which in the end saved us over $1000 in heating costs (oil) this past very cold winter. (We ended up using the heat pump more than we used oil. So we saved on oil and reaped the benefits of paying lower electrical because of the heat pump)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
missy|1304768274|2914676 said:
It served you guys well for a long time but it does suck when major repairs need to be made. I always think what bling I can buy with that money LOL.

ME TOO, Missy! That was my first thought...Hmmm...."I could buy xxx with that money. I could get a killer setting!" But it's part of the joys of home ownership, you gotta do what you gotta do. That's why DH gives me (more) gray hair -- he fools himself that what you don't know won't hurt you -- NOT!

I see your problem w/the yard & garden -- one of the headaches of multiple houses. It's a time sucker-upper.

Soocool, I've often wished DH were handy -- which he positively is not, but you have the other extreme. As long as he's good at it & gets it done, it would be great.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
1) Jewelry. When I talk about a new piece that I've got my eye on or a project that I'm thinking of, his eyes glaze over and he becomes almost comatose :rolleyes:

2) Redecorating the house. Now this is I can understand more, because I LOVE to redecorate while he loves our house the way that it is. I don't mind painting, changing knickknacks or pictures around, moving furniture or adding a new throw pillow here or there. DH thinks our house is perfect the that it is, minus that we need new carpet and kitchen flooring. Besides those two things, he loves our house the way I've already painted and decorated it. To me, our house is always evolving and I love changing it up a little bit every few months :bigsmile:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Petrol

Speeding tickets

Parking tickets

:rolleyes:

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
soocool|1304772013|2914702 said:
DH hates to spend $ on anything he can do himself.

This exactly. He's great at figuring things out and fixing them on his own, but it does take longer and that process can be annoying in itself. I am very grateful to have a man who will do those kinds of things though.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Garbage pickup....he says since our home owner's tax is almost 15,000/yr the town should pay for garbage---uggg! He complains every time he writes the check.

He also hates writing the check for our condo fees (in a home that we dont use right now) bc they literally DOUBLED last year. Over 500 month in condo fees for a condo that is sitting empty. That one annoys me too.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Feb03Bride|1304774586|2914718 said:
1) Jewelry. When I talk about a new piece that I've got my eye on or a project that I'm thinking of, his eyes glaze over and he becomes almost comatose :rolleyes:

2) Redecorating the house. Now this is I can understand more, because I LOVE to redecorate while he loves our house the way that it is. I don't mind painting, changing knickknacks or pictures around, moving furniture or adding a new throw pillow here or there. DH thinks our house is perfect the that it is, minus that we need new carpet and kitchen flooring. Besides those two things, he loves our house the way I've already painted and decorated it. To me, our house is always evolving and I love changing it up a little bit every few months :bigsmile:

These are two of Dh's too. He is not into jewelry AT ALL :) lol and cringes if I suggest a new little item to liven up the place. The only thing he doesn't really care about are candles (which I love). He seems to be okay if the knick knack isn't permanent and won't add to the clutter but a little statue or something will drive him over the edge.

Others include the obvious: utitilites - our massive water bill and the power bill. I handle ALL the bills in the house, so he doesn't know the charges unless I complain about them.

He's mostly fine with everything else. If I buy new clothes or a mascara, he won't be thrilled but doesn't "hate" if I do so.

He's a HUGE electronic gadget fan so I swear if I bought a new computer for myself he'd be jumping up and down with joy. lol I could announce we're eating hot dogs for 1 month to offset the costs and he'd state "right on."

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1304767013|2914668 said:
We need a new roof. Our house is 24 yrs old, not the best built in the world, and we've had some monster storms over the 7 yrs we've been here -- 2 wks ago one with big, bad hail. It's the original roof up there. So DH looks like a deer in the headlights when I tell him the roofer says it's a goner. He HATES to spend money where it doesn't show -- as in, anything other than decor. We go through this process every time we need to do something major. Aaarrrgh!

He goes nuts when I get the chimney cleaned. Crabs when the termite/bug guy comes to check the crawl space -- in the South termites can be a problem. At this age, everything in the house is reaching its dotage: this year we put in a new well pump and a new HVAC unit, sigh. If I mention concern about moisture in the basement & mold in this humidity, I'm a worry-wart.

Until he accepts the inevitable, it's my fault for wildly spending money on things "nobody notices." As if I'll get such a thrill out of a new roof, I couldn't resist the temptation! I think it would be okay with him if the house crumbled around him, as long as the wallpaper is nice & the upholstery elegant. After 33 years I should be used to it but I don't know whether to laugh or commit murder -- do you think a jury w/women on it would convict??? :twisted:

What things do your "roomies" go postal about spending money on?

The roof replacement is the worst! The house we previously lived in needed a new roof and that is one reason (even though the owner tried to sell it to us), we didn't want to buy it. Actually, it was so bad that when I went to get renters insurance, my agent asked for a photo of the roof and I said screw it and didn't even bother to get insurance (I'd have to photo shop the damn thing - lol). We waited till just a month back to finally get it (we moved out of the above mentioned house).

Your house will appreciate it. Nothing worth the risk of having mold grow in your home!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
It varies. While doesn't mind traveling, sometimes he thinks I spend too much on going back home far too often.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
The roof will show Laurie-you'll notice it when you drive up and others will too. We did ours last year and we had people stopping to tell us how nice it looked.

The only thing I could think maybe JD would be ticked about spending money on is repainting rooms..over and over..and over. For instance, our kitchen has been painted 5 times since 2001, and I'm gearing up for another go at it when we finish the cupboards and replace the counters.

He doesn't raise an eyebrow about jewelry b/c he has his own stuff he buys like guns.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1304767013|2914668 said:
JF
our original roof lasted about 18 yrs had a new one put on about 7 yrs ago.the original roof was made of wood then we replaced with a tile roof,it ain't cheap... ;( what kind of roofing material are you looking at?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Packrat. Whether or not the roof actually looks better, it's got to be done.

DH doesn't get jewelry at all. No interest. He's funny -- with this news about the roof, he's making cracks about my buying gems "I'll never do anything with." Yow, I thought, here's my opening! I said I was hoping the price of gold would go down before I set them, but I'll start "doing something" with them now. Then it was "all this money I spend on mountings." Ha! He never mentioned the 2 vintage sports cars he bought while I was out of town, without telling me, one of which ended up being renovated from the inside out, and the garage-full of spare parts "just in case" over the years -- that includes an entire windshield, an extra walnut dashboard, and a complete spare Maserati motor. Then he says women are illogical!

He silently rolls his eyes when I buy a new stone, poor guy. But I've got a lot of catching up to do to equal those cars! :saint:

--- Laurie

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hubby is the shopper in our family he loves spending money too much money if you ask me I am the scrouge in the family I can honestly say he does not complain about money....I guess the only thing is once in awhile he raises his eyebrows when I spend money on tickets for a concert, most recently $280 on 2 tickets to go see Tim McGraw tonight :wink2:

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Having to get new clothes- well, if you pressure wash in your dress shoes, guess what? You're gonna need to go shoe shopping! And if you do it three times, every pair of shoes is gonna be ruined that you own. (And of course his boots for pressure washing are sitting unused the whole time :rolleyes:) He goes through shoes like Kleenexes, always has. And then gripes endlessly about having to get new ones, and the whole shopping process, as well as the cost. I used to try desperately do designate "work clothes" but it was always utterly pointless- apparently painting, sawing, pressure washing etc. is best done spontaneously, who knew :tongue:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laurie, did you check with homeowners insurance about claiming the roof because of the hail damage? I've heard of lots of people getting new roofs because of that.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
LGK|1304798163|2914990 said:
Having to get new clothes- well, if you pressure wash in your dress shoes, guess what? You're gonna need to go shoe shopping! And if you do it three times, every pair of shoes is gonna be ruined that you own. (And of course his boots for pressure washing are sitting unused the whole time :rolleyes:) He goes through shoes like Kleenexes, always has. And then gripes endlessly about having to get new ones, and the whole shopping process, as well as the cost. I used to try desperately do designate "work clothes" but it was always utterly pointless- apparently painting, sawing, pressure washing etc. is best done spontaneously, who knew :tongue:

Woah. Are we both married to the same man, do you think? :lol:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Having to get new clothes- well, if you pressure wash in your dress shoes, guess what? You're gonna need to go shoe shopping! apparently painting, sawing, pressure washing etc. is best done spontaneously, who knew :tongue:

LOL! I can dig that. Can't count the number of good shirts that turn into "work shirts" because I can't get the car grease, red clay mud, and I-don't-want-to-know-what out of them. As work shirts, they stay in the drawer while he does his stuff in the new ones he bought to replace them.

DS, I'm hoping insurance will cover some of the roof. We'll have to eat our large deductible, however. Premiums were getting so expensive & we've never needed to make a claim in our lives, so I raised the deductible a year or 2 ago, dumb dumb dumb! (But the saving probably contributed to the beauties sitting on my desk right now. :tongue:)

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
We both HATE spending money on taxes!!!

DH loves vacations so spending money on anything else is a waste, he says. 8)

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1304804130|2915058 said:
Having to get new clothes- well, if you pressure wash in your dress shoes, guess what? You're gonna need to go shoe shopping! apparently painting, sawing, pressure washing etc. is best done spontaneously, who knew :tongue:

LOL! I can dig that. Can't count the number of good shirts that turn into "work shirts" because I can't get the car grease, red clay mud, and I-don't-want-to-know-what out of them. As work shirts, they stay in the drawer while he does his stuff in the new ones he bought to replace them.

DS, I'm hoping insurance will cover some of the roof. We'll have to eat our large deductible, however. Premiums were getting so expensive & we've never needed to make a claim in our lives, so I raised the deductible a year or 2 ago, dumb dumb dumb! (But the saving probably contributed to the beauties sitting on my desk right now. :tongue:)

Roofs. Evil. And if you got an extra 7 years out of one that surely was near death when you bought the house, you are rolling in high clover, for all it feels otherwise. We had our house roofed and 2.5 years later totalled in the hailstorm from hell - there were over 60,000 people without windshields, holes punched IN roofs by softball-sized hail. Not that other places don't get big hail, but the storm itself was the largest area of hail this state has ever seen. Anyway, we did not re-roof because we deemed the roof to be sound for another 5-6 at least - insurance totalled, but we decided having it re-roofed right now was wasteful. Besides, another storm could roll through and total a roof again in another 2 years. Roofs are HUUUUGE business and concern in Oklahoma. And you have no doubt found how ghastly expensive they are to replace - even more now due to the increases in the price of oil.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laurie, glad the insurance will cover part, at least! I get the dilemma with deductibles!!! Glad it the savings funded some fun things before this happened, though! :))

My parents have received 3 new roofs, power washings, new pool liners, and new siding in the last 10 years due to storms.. and it was paid by the insurance company (thank gosh!) I would check into your insurance company..

My DH hates spending money on jewelry. He just does. I wanted to buy him a new w-band and he doesn't want it. Just wants his cheap titanium one.. When he does agree that I deserve jewelry :Up_to_something: he tends like much bigger diamonds on me now. He usually goes, "How much?" "$X" "$X! ... ugh... that's like 50 ps3 games... *wink* ok." haha

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
DH also hates spending money on property taxes [doubled in our area] HOA has been increasing $20 every other month or so. :cry:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DH hates to spend $ on anything he *thinks* he can do himself.

Sadly, though he has lots of interesting ideas for the betterment of our lifestyle, but his opinions of his abilities and the time he'll have to devote to the job don't really reflect reality in some ways - namely the "make our own cat tower", "install shower tile", "install solar panels" ways.. :cheeky:

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Jennifer W|1304799532|2915015 said:

Woah. Are we both married to the same man, do you think? :lol:

Ditto! :lol: OMG, the number of times I have found him painting epoxy on his half-finished boat in good clothes... :-o

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband hates to spend $ on cable channels that we don't need. I hate this even more though. He must have been worn down by the cable company because we have many, many channels in our package that we don't need, want, or watch. Even though he caved, he'd much rather pay a la carte.

I'm laughing at all the responses where husbands hate to pay for things they can do themselves. My husband is the complete opposite. He'd MUCH rather pay for someone else to do things around the house than do it himself. He's not exactly handy.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
we just had a new roof put on. yes, lots of $ but well spent in my book.

when i met my husband car maintenance was something he just didn't get done....or new tires. its not longer an issue :bigsmile:

MoZo

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1304813863|2915158 said:

DH hates to spend $ on anything he *thinks* he can do himself.

Sadly, though he has lots of interesting ideas for the betterment of our lifestyle, but his opinions of his abilities and the time he'll have to devote to the job don't really reflect reality in some ways - namely the "make our own cat tower", "install shower tile", "install solar panels" ways.. :cheeky:
Bahaha, oh god. That one is SO familiar. "No, don't buy that! I could make it with X hours and some carpet and lumber scraps!" Five years later... no cat tower of course.

My best friend and I commisserate on this frequently. Her husband also has delusions of building fabulously awesome amazing cat towers. That never happen.

(I will say that DH actually is awesome at building stuff- he built our entire condo from nothing, including full bathroom. The tile work he's learned to to is beautiful and he made the *best* granite countertops for us. But still, no cat tower, haha!)

Echidna, Jennifer, that's pretty hilarious that you also have a guy with the same theory on "work clothes". I swear, I don't think I've ever seen him *once* think about changing his nice clothes *before* starting a messy project- it's always afterwards he b!tches about having trashed his shoes, or whatever. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Taxes!!!

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results