shape
carat
color
clarity

What Does Your SO HATE To Spend Money On?

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Taxes and cars! He will drive his old jalopy of a Jeep forever, if he can swing it.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I can't think of anything that DH hates to spend on. He will do stuffs around the house just to say that he can do something, like when he did recess lighting for the whole house. But if he ever needs to do it again, he will probably just hire something. He rather spends his time doing something else. He calls me a shopaholic and tells me to slow down my spending, but also says he can't stop me from buying something that I love. I think he actually likes shopping too.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Himself.

He happily gives generous birthday and Christmas presents to his parents and siblings. He didn't blink when my laptop died and needed to be replaced. In fact, he helped me choose an awesome replacement machine that cost far more than I was comfortable with spending and he paid for it without so much as a wince...

But the moment he needs to actually spend money on *himself* he gets incredibly anxious. Even something as simple as buying a CD is enough to send him into paroxysms of guilt.

I think it's because he was a student for so long - 11 years at university plus two years post doc in a foreign country where our currency was essentially worthless. So even though he now does have money, he just doesn't know how to spend it on himself.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He hates spending money on taxes...it makes him furious every time...
He also hates it when I spend money in jewelry and Louis Vuitton bags... :naughty:

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto, everyone whose husbands hate to spend money on things he can do himself! He has no problem spending money on traveling or decorating the house, but he tiled our kitchen himself and he landscaped the garden himself, etc.

My DH has even googled how to replace a cam sensor on my car instead of taking it in for maintenance! Luckily, he is an engineer and follows instructions really well. But yes, google and You Tube are our friends for many things. ;-)

Also, anything that can be bought cheaper, will most certainly be bought cheaper! I honestly don't mind because we get some really cool toys...I just usually have to wait until the 3rd or 4th generation before he takes the plunge. Especially on electronics, he will NEVER buy the first generation of ANYTHING and then he scours craigslist and eBay for the best prices. I really can't complain as thanks to him I have an iPhone 4, a MacBook Pro, a color Nook, etc...I just didn't get any of them until at least 8-10 months after they were introduced.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Clothes for himself! He will wear something until it looks terrible and still not see what the problem is. I have to forcibly remove the worst of the items from his wardrobe and then take him out shopping to replace them.

Makes up for all the money he spends on electronics I guess...

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well judging by the fact that I have to harass him into it every month and a half or so, I'd say haircuts. :rolleyes:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Real estate brokers. He sees them as being essentially useless parasites on society (which, given NY's real estate market, is actually not far from the truth). Two years later, and he's still gloating that we lucked into our gorgeous apartment via CraigsList.

We have to look for a new place this fall. Oy ....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results