shape
carat
color
clarity

What does this mean?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
It''s quite possible that your diamond wouldn''t grade at the claimed clarity and color if sent to GIA or AGS. Typically jewelers who use second or third tier certificates know that their stones would be graded more accurately at a top lab. You wouldn''t know unless you sent the diamond to an independent appraiser. It might be accurate, it might not.

Since the diamond is from your father in law, it''s a little sensitive. I think you just need to decide if you love the diamond or not. If you love it, just wear it and enjoy it.

If you don''t, I guess you could get an appraisal then talk to your FIL. Some appraisers can run a SARIN report that will provide all the cut angles, (and idealscope and asset) that you could use in the HCA to get a better idea of cut. I can''t imagine a conversation that starts out with "you sold us a ___ clarity and ___color, and it''s not, plus the cut sucks" with my FIL?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 8:13:24 PM
Author: Daisi2112
Do they avoid GIA or AGS to be shady? Is my certificate reliable?

I think the cutters of your stone avoided the GIA/AGS mainly because of the huge depth and probably girdle of that stone. These 2 labs have cut grades and the stone will probably be graded badly in that department even if it has a nice optics. The stone was cut to retain weight.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2009 8:13:24 PM

Date: 3/13/2009 7:47:15 PM
Author: purrfectpear
GAL is a certification company in the diamond district of NYC. I sort of get the idea that they're one of those companies that merchants use to avoid GIA or AGS? Here's a sample of what your cert should look like, except this isn't a round.

Thank you purrfectpear!

Unfortunately, my certificate does not contain all that information.... it contains a picture of the cut (viewed from the top of the table), color, clarity, carat weight, all info for the smaller diamonds on the band, and the worth of the ring (oh yes, forgot, it also contains some numbers saying 7.12x4.95). That's it!

Do they avoid GIA or AGS to be shady? Is my certificate reliable?
Daisi, I wouldn't worry. I am sure your diamond it gorgeous as you say, if you can't change it I would just enjoy it and see it for the very special and unique symbol it is that your BF and FIL picked out for you and maybe consider an upgrade for a future anniversary or other occasion. Otherwise this is going to take the joy out of it for you in my honest opinion. Proportions and paper are one thing, but they don't always tell you about the beauty of a diamond, we can't see the diamond and are working with incomplete info here. Yes it may be a bit deep and look smaller for the weight but it is still no way to assume it is not a beautiful diamond!

You have to remember that here we are very often seeing the creme de la creme of cut diamonds, probably we are seeing images and info on some of the finest cut diamonds in the world daily. And any advice is often coming to you from that perspective. However it is important for us to keep an open mind if we are going to be of help to everyone. In the real world there are diamonds out there with all kinds of proportions which are worn daily by very happy owners and are still very attractive, which might send the average PSer running away screaming in horror! Now, many of these diamond owners probably don't know the difference cut quality can make, or don't even care come to that. But you have become educated now and are asking questions, which is fine.

The thing is if you can't change the diamond - from what I understand it might be difficult for you to do so, you have two choices. You can either broach the subject if it matters that much to you and hope your fiance and FIL will be ok with it. If not and you think that bringing it up might cause problems, then learn to love your diamond. Ok it may not be perfect on paper and there are things that could be improved on but like I said earlier, you say it is gorgeous and there is no reason for me to suppose it is not. Like with people, perfection doesn't always equal beauty. It is also important to remember that here we are not experts for the most part and really all we have is to be able to work with numbers and images - what we lack as consumers is actual hands on experience with diamonds. Beauty cannot always come down to numbers and proportions, especially with diamonds.

Your rock is special as your BF worked very hard to get it for you and picked out what he thought was a beautiful diamond for his beloved. Like I said before, that makes it priceless. If you can't change it, see it for its uniqueness and the beauty it represents.

Later then you might be able to upgrade for an anniversary etc, then if you kept this diamond you could reset it into a pendant and keep it close to your heart if you wished. I am not trying to influence you either way whether to keep it or get another, just trying to give you another perspective on things.

I hope this helps a bit.
35.gif

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Wow, thanks guys! I''ve thought about the different possibilities I could do and I''ve decided to keep it the way it is. I love the icy whiteness/white sparkles, and it''s really priceless to me. The only reason why I question it now is because I''ve learned a ton from everybody on this forum!! :) whereas before I only knew about carat and color!! (I think the only thing that would make me possibly speak up is if the diamond was ''dead'', as in dark and had no life..)

Going forward if I ever buy another diamond, whether it be an anniversary ring, earrings, pendant, etc... i''ll be a bit more picky knowing about all the little details that go into diamond cutting and know what to ask for.

I''m super happy that my fingers make the diamond look bigger when I wear it because it makes up for some of the spread that it is short on!
3.gif
aw lol!

Again, thanks everyone for being such great help!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2009 8:28:20 AM
Wow, thanks guys! I've thought about the different possibilities I could do and I've decided to keep it the way it is. I love the icy whiteness/white sparkles, and it's really priceless to me. The only reason why I question it now is because I've learned a ton from everybody on this forum!! :) whereas before I only knew about carat and color!! (I think the only thing that would make me possibly speak up is if the diamond was 'dead', as in dark and had no life..)

Going forward if I ever buy another diamond, whether it be an anniversary ring, earrings, pendant, etc... i'll be a bit more picky knowing about all the little details that go into diamond cutting and know what to ask for.

I'm super happy that my fingers make the diamond look bigger when I wear it because it makes up for some of the spread that it is short on!
3.gif
aw lol!

Again, thanks everyone for being such great help!
Thats great Daisi, so glad to be of help! I will tell you another little story here. My first diamond is tiny, it was all we could afford at the time. It isn't well cut and looks like a little white dot. But do you know, NOTHING could replace this diamond because it is part of our history and is our engagement diamond. I will treasure this diamond always, even though more diamonds have been acquired, the first diamond will always mean more to me than any others can.

There will be other diamonds in your future too but this one even if it isn't quite perfect will always be extremely meaningful to you!

One more thing....You may know that we always enjoy pics around here, and I would love to see some of your diamond!!!
35.gif

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
I agree, it has so much meaning!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results