shape
carat
color
clarity

What does this IdealSCope image mean to you

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Hey to all and Thanks for all the information that you give.....you make a pragmatic person happy......LOL

Please examine this Hearts and arrows image and tell me what you think. The vendor says that it has great light return. I dont disagree with that, but what else could it mean. And they are sending me the stats on the stone. The image is from a PS vendor.

Critique it and be critical or praise it.....either way!!!

UPDATED 2-22-02 - The STATS of the stone.

The stone is more than just eye clean. On the table there are no inclusions whatsoever even under 20x magnification. The only thing that makes the diamond an VS2 is a feather located right off the table but no where near the girdle. In regards to it being an AGS Ideal which is usually called an AGS 000, it definitely falls under that category. This stone would be ideal under any certificate, in this case being GIA, it is called a GIA XXX; meaning, excellent cut, excellent polish, and excellent symmetry. This is also optically excellent symmetry making it a true hearts and arrows diamond. You will be please with the HCA score once you run it as well. Here are the specs:

Carat weight: .75ct
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Depth: 60.6%
Table: 55%
Crown Angle: 34.0
Pavilion Angle: 41.0
No Culet
Girdle Thin to Medium

Thanks for looking
MWG

wharton2.jpg

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That is an idealscope image (not a hearts and arrow image) seen under a red-reflector.

For more information, do a search of idealscope on the forums.

The picture shows good optical symmetry from the way the arrows line up and a satisfactory idealscope / light return image. Which means the vendor was right :)

If you could also ask for an ASET picture and then post the stats on the stone, other people may be able to comment further.

I would recommend reserving this stone first.

I'm not an expert at critique (yet ...) :razz: It may well be a nice looking diamond but I'll be interested in hearing what the experts have to say.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
because the reds and whites are bleeding into each other, and there is tilt it is a little hard to make things out.

perhaps a shallow crown and/or some painting? table reflection seems rather light...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
it looks like the stone is tilted a bit...

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/21/2007 10:59:28 PM
Author: tanalasta
That is an idealscope image (not a hearts and arrow image) seen under a red-reflector.

The picture shows good optical symmetry from the way the arrows line up and a satisfactory idealscope / light return image. Which means the vendor was right :)

If you could also ask for an ASET picture and then post the stats on the stone, other people may be able to comment further.

I''m not an expert at critique (yet ...) :razz: It may well be a nice looking diamond but I''ll be interested in hearing what the experts have to say.
ASET will not tell you anything an ideal-scope wont on a round Mr T.

Tell the vendor to learn how to take decent photo''s by following the steps here http://ideal-scope.com/newsletters_issue008.asp

That is a very nice stone - probably as good as it gets.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
it tells me someone dont know how to take ideal-scope images or how to use it.
The stone isnt back lighted properly so its functioning as a h&a scope instead of how it is spose too.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I suppose ASET doesn't tell much more than an IS but I've always like the nice pattern of blues and greens on an ASET. Easier to differentiate than different shades of pink.

I agree that that the lighting and photo technique of this IS isn't ideal...

Has the OP seen this diamond in person?

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/21/2007 11:22:57 PM
Author: JulieN
because the reds and whites are bleeding into each other, and there is tilt it is a little hard to make things out.

perhaps a shallow crown and/or some painting? table reflection seems rather light...

What does "painting" mean when referring to diamonds?

Thanks
Steven

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
The image is fine, the tilt and painting are probably not an issue of performance.

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
UPDATED STATS ON FIRST POST. Please evaluate

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Still a nice diamond. nice symmetry.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/22/2007 8:43:39 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Can''t agree with you there Garry

The idealscope will not tell you where the light is reflecting from, the ASET will. Granted, both will show you where the leakage is, but the ASET definitely tells you more about where the light is coming from and may help separate the truly exceptional from the exceptional.

Wink

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the exact same crown and pavillion angles. It should be a very bright, firey, beautiful stone!

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ellen,

Could you post a picture of your diamond please??

Thanks
MWG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 7:00:35 PM
Author: Wink

The idealscope will not tell you where the light is reflecting from, the ASET will. Granted, both will show you where the leakage is, but the ASET definitely tells you more about where the light is coming from and may help separate the truly exceptional from the exceptional.

Wink

I''d find it hard to believe Garry''s not aware of this, which leads me to believe that having more higher intensity light coming from higher angles than lower intensity from lower angles doesn''t practically amount to much as far as brilliance and dispersion goes. I can''t believe this theoretically though.

I can understand the IdealScope has its place for relative ease of use and simpler understanding, but why do you personally, Garry, choose to pass up extra information by using IdealScope over the ASET scope for RB''s?

Stebbo

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 7:30:24 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 2/22/2007 7:18:32 PM
Author: MWG
Hi Ellen,

Could you post a picture of your diamond please??

Thanks
MWG
Here ya go. There are pics all through it, but if you don''t want to take the time, just look at the ones on the first two pages, and then the last ones I posted on about pg. 13, I think. That ought to give you an idea.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-fire-thread.51563/
Hi Ellen,

Gorgeous ring with great prescence!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks again,
MWG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, and you''re welcome!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/22/2007 7:31:56 PM
Author: stebbo

Wink

I''d find it hard to believe Garry''s not aware of this, which leads me to believe that having more higher intensity light coming from higher angles than lower intensity from lower angles doesn''t practically amount to much as far as brilliance and dispersion goes. I can''t believe this theoretically though.

I can understand the IdealScope has its place for relative ease of use and simpler understanding, but why do you personally, Garry, choose to pass up extra information by using IdealScope over the ASET scope for RB''s?

Stebbo
Thx for asking Stebbo. Unless a round diamond has really wierd proportions that appear to work in an ideal-scope (say under 25 crown angle for example), there will be no more info from an ASET that would help you make a buying or appraisal decisionthan you would gain from an Ideal-Scope. I stress - this is only for round brilliants.

It is just a waste of time (unless you like pretty colors)
2.gif
for
1.gif

I now would never ever buy a fancy shape without an ASET and tweezers.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
one of my favorite combos.
arrows show good optical symmetry as much as can be shown face up.
A properly lit IS image to judge painting would be nice.
With that one no determination can be made.
The range of the angles would be nice to have also.
overall it looks like a very nice stone from the limited info provided.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 9:00:18 PM

Date: 2/22/2007 7:31:56 PM
Author: stebbo

Wink

Stebbo
Thx for asking Stebbo. Unless a round diamond has really wierd proportions that appear to work in an ideal-scope (say under 25 crown angle for example), there will be no more info from an ASET that would help you make a buying or appraisal decisionthan you would gain from an Ideal-Scope. I stress - this is only for round brilliants.

It is just a waste of time (unless you like pretty colors)
2.gif
for
1.gif

I now would never ever buy a fancy shape without an ASET and tweezers.
I own both and while I cant claim to have seen as many stones in them as Garry or Wink I can say that in my experience when used to rapidly separate out well cut rounds they are pretty much equal.
The ASET is a little less picky about lighting is the biggest difference but using the ideal light its a non-issue.

With fancies ASET wins by a mile.

MWG

Brilliant_Rock

Date: 2/21/2007 10:59:28 PM
Author: tanalasta

I''m not an expert at critique (yet ...) :razz: It may well be a nice looking diamond but I''ll be interested in hearing what the experts have to say.

Tell the vendor to learn how to take decent photo''s by following the steps here http://ideal-scope.com/newsletters_issue008.asp

That is a very nice stone - probably as good as it gets.
Hey Cut Nut,

I forwarded the link and information to the company. I am now asking for a picture of the feather. They apologized for the crummy picutures. Hopefully the link will help them and me as well.

Thanks
MWG

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
UPDATE.

Picture sent to me. They apologized for the poor picture.

wharton1.jpg

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 9:00:18 PM

I guess that''s because low angle light predominately leaks right through non-weird proportioned stones, adding hardly anything to overall light return. High angle light fills in these dead spots, hence ASET reds and blues instead of black(/white) leakage or green. Hence, we effectively have an IdealScope. QED?

Stebbo

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 9:52:11 PM
UPDATE.

looks like a real nice stone not a lot of painting if any by the looks of it.
Solid definition of the upper girdle facets anyway.
Whats the lower girdle % off the gia cert?
The numbers rounded so its not all that useful but im curious.

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Hey strmrdr

GIA Stats for you

Thanks for looking
MWG

Date: 2/22/2007 11:02:02 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 2/22/2007 9:52:11 PM
UPDATE.

looks like a real nice stone not a lot of painting if any by the looks of it.
Solid definition of the upper girdle facets anyway.
Whats the lower girdle % off the gia cert?
The numbers rounded so its not all that useful but im curious.

whartoncert.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was thinking they were around 77 so im not suprised they rounded down to 75 was curious if they were over 77.5 which would round to 80.
In general the 77 range is ok with that combo.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
So M, are you going to get it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results