shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this OEC?

alltheflorals

Rough_Rock
Hi! Hoping someone out there can help ease some anxiety...it's the largest "risk" I've taken for something sight unseen on ebay, but the risk was abetted by the allowance of a 14-day return window. Going to a jeweler or appraiser is not possible at the moment... Wondering if I can get some input from those more familiar with old cuts and diamonds in general well before the return period is up.

Here goes...14k 1930s ring with OEC sold as 1.23ct K VS, uncerted. My plan would be to make a new diamond pendant if I were to keep it. I scoured every possible OEC thread for general background on buying OECs, I looked up as many comps as I could, and the price made it seem like a good deal from pure specs alone. Though I gathered it would eventually just come down to the eye of the beholder! I asked for straight on pictures, a video, and the seller was well-rated...it seemed like a wild idea, but I put in an offer, and it was accepted. I enjoy the thrill of a good deal, and it's probably a comparable priority to the gem qualities themselves as well (which I only learned about after time on PS..). However I justify to myself that it gives me more flexibility to really customize into something I will treasure forever.

I admit I've never seen an OEC like this in real life so I have few/no reference points, but I think possibly now understand what everyone means by fire! As soon as I opened the box, I was hit by those broad facets and I was a little giddy! I immediately louped and I was so pleased at how clear it was! Too clear??? I'm nervous...so back to pragmatics...Please tell me what you think honestly! If you have any more photo ideas, please let me know. I couldn't do much until after dark so I will try to get some natural daylight pictures tomorrow.

Measurements from calipers: 7.04 mm x 6.72 mm x 4-4.5mm deep

View from 10x loupe:

IMG_20200323_202350.jpg

IMG_20200323_202421.jpg

Straight on shot

IMG_20200323_202050.jpg

Side:
DSC_2179.jpg
DSC_2191.jpg

Video

I don't know why the video is so blurry in the beginning so here's the direct link.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeez that’s a great first go! Just the pattern I love and it’s beautifully crisp around the table. I think you did good!!
Can I ask how much you paid?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's very pretty. In the video I had a hard time seeing the on/off facet pattern but the still pictures definitely show lots of promise. Chunky facet pattern very pleasing to the eye. Evaluate it under all different lighting conditions and see what you think. Based on what I see it looks lovely.

alltheflorals

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much, all! So glad to get your input! There are some angles where I see more darkness in the middle, but it is fleeting so I'm not sure if it's obstruction (?) or my dark hair or the facets themselves. I'll try to get a more pictures/video outside.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a pretty stone...since you're seeing it in person you're going to be the best judge of whether its a good performer or not (and it sounds like
it is)!

Nice find!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recognize this ring! Actually asked for a video from the seller, her pictures did this ring no justice, your pictures are great! It is very pretty and a good deal too!

ETA: I had an OEC around this size and it also was very clear so clear is not a bad thing! I know it's one of those "too good to be true" things but sometimes the clarity on old stone is very high.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine's about this size and age and despite its SI3 (EGL, I know!) rating, it's completely clear throughout. All the mess is on the edges. A jeweller who rebeaded a single-cut band I have said the older stones are always so much clearer than the modern ones he sees.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much, all! So glad to get your input! There are some angles where I see more darkness in the middle, but it is fleeting so I'm not sure if it's obstruction (?) or my dark hair or the facets themselves. I'll try to get a more pictures/video outside.

That is obstruction, and it is pretty much unavoidable in this type of cut. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

alltheflorals

Rough_Rock
Whew I am feeling much relieved! Truly, this is all thanks to the great advice and information you all have posted throughout the years for newbies like me!

Sunlight:

IMG_20200324_171826.jpg
IMG_20200324_171458.jpg
IMG_20200324_171513.jpg

Trying to envision the future:
IMG_20200324_131003.jpg

And some lastly videos - including one in slowmo! Sorry my hand is so awkward. I was scared I would drop it and it would bounce into oblivion...
Sunlight (don't mind the music...had to drown out DH's conference call)
Slow motion

Attachments

• IMG_20200324_141326.jpg
    IMG_20200324_141326.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 38

alltheflorals

Rough_Rock
I recognize this ring! Actually asked for a video from the seller, her pictures did this ring no justice, your pictures are great! It is very pretty and a good deal too!

ETA: I had an OEC around this size and it also was very clear so clear is not a bad thing! I know it's one of those "too good to be true" things but sometimes the clarity on old stone is very high.

=)2 Thank you so much! I'm glad to hear about the clarity. The difference of seeing it in person vs her pictures was so vast, I'm very thankful it seemed to work out in this instance.

alltheflorals

Rough_Rock
Mine's about this size and age and despite its SI3 (EGL, I know!) rating, it's completely clear throughout. All the mess is on the edges. A jeweller who rebeaded a single-cut band I have said the older stones are always so much clearer than the modern ones he sees.

That's so interesting! I was comparing with my vvs 1 or 2 and it was right up there with it. The seller said there was girdle wear, but I couldn't see any chips. There was one side where it was quite a bit thinner, but did not look from damage. But I suppose who knows when I have it unmounted what will be under the prongs :pray:. The plan is to eventually have it certified.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s beautiful. Nice find, and it will look perfect as a pendant. Though I do love it’s setting!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s a very nice antique cut. I’m guessing it’s been untouched by any repolishing/recutting. It looks clear (in the VS range). It does have a lowish crown so maybe more of an American Cut vs classic bubbly puffy crown OEC. Still likely 1915-1920ish cut. So just be aware that what you have here is one flavor of antique cut.

The ONLY thing that might be lurking is a chip on the pavilion. I doubt it, but it’s something I’ve seen in set antique diamonds. So examine with a loupe carefully under prongs. If you DO see a chip, evaluate price per carat that way. A hidden chip will not affect the current look of the stone, but may be a mind clean issue. I personally don’t believe there is a chip but just saying I’ve seen it happen.

I think it is a very nice cut, and you will love it!

joelly

Ideal_Rock
It has a beautiful floral pattern which I love in an OEC. Good job in securing this.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
PS, I’ve never seen “girdle wear” on an antique diamond. Maybe the seller meant flea bites from the bruting of the girdle. I consider flea bites to be awesome as they indicate craftsmanship, They were not made by the owner, they were made by the cutter.

See EC8’s drool-worthy classic Antique Cushion if you want to see the marks of a hand done bruted girdle in all its glory.

Looking at your antique cut stone, I believe it’s a later diamond and your girdle looks mechanically frosted/bruted to me. That type of girdle doesn’t have “flea bites”. Still antique. But diamonds cut in the teens and 1920s have girdles that look more finished to me. I don’t see where the “wear” is on your stone’s girdle.

alltheflorals

Rough_Rock
great background @LightBright! Would a chip under the prongs be detectable via change in refraction when looking from the side/underneath? I looked a little more closely (found possibly some petrified gunk) but I perhaps don't know what to look for either.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
great background @LightBright! Would a chip under the prongs be detectable via change in refraction when looking from the side/underneath? I looked a little more closely (found possibly some petrified gunk) but I perhaps don't know what to look for either.

Hi, the chips under prongs I’ve seen have resembled inclusions like feathers. You can usually see “something” under the prongs if there’s a chip but the best way to find out is to unset it. Then you can’t return it, unfortunately.

Last edited:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like we need a good dozen or so pictures through a loupe to ogle appreciate help you work out if there's any issues with it :P2

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks like your stone is in beautiful shape from these photos. I see no “girdle wear” (I don’t know what the dealer means by this) at all. Just a gorgeous bruted girdle on a gorgeously cut antique diamond. Enjoy!

tinydiamond

Rough_Rock
Oh my gosh, your OEC is adorable! I love the floral pattern and the small table - exactly what I swoon over!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results