shape
carat
color
clarity

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS OEC?? HELP???

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I am so excited for you! Personally, I wouldn't be too worried about it being a J. OECs often face up very white, so I don't think you will see a lot of color. Are you wanting a colorless OEC? You probably would pay a premium for high color antique cuts since they are rare.

Eta-I would just wait and see how you feel when you see the diamond. Many people actually find that they enjoy a bit of warmth in old cuts.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I have a J color OEC almost exactly the same size. I know it's hard to judge color on the computer, but here are some pics I took next to my AGS G color modern RB. When they are side by side, I can see that the OEC has a bit of warmth, but it's nothing very dramatic. I tend to be color sensitive and this J color OEC looks plenty white to me! That stone you're considering looks AMAZING in that photo!!!!

comps1.jpg

comps3.jpg

comps5.jpg

comps6.jpg

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Demelza- Thank you sooo much for the comparison! You are a VERY lucky girl to have not one beautiful diamond BUT TWO!!!! You're right - if I didn't see them side by side, I probably would not know the difference. Is the J a GIA or AGS (not that it matters, just curious since you mentioned the RB).

Army Wife - I will post pic's as soon as I get it... I haven't heard back from Adam yet! :cry:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an EGL J oec, and I feel it faces up white - it shows a little warmth when I compare it to my GIA G round brilliant, but on it's own it just looks white to me! I've never thought it looked yellow. So a GIA J will face up very white I would think - the diamond you're considering is gorgeous!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Emeraldcutlover|1339776553|3216960 said:
Demelza- Thank you sooo much for the comparison! You are a VERY lucky girl to have not one beautiful diamond BUT TWO!!!! You're right - if I didn't see them side by side, I probably would not know the difference. Is the J a GIA or AGS (not that it matters, just curious since you mentioned the RB).

Army Wife - I will post pic's as soon as I get it... I haven't heard back from Adam yet! :cry:

The OEC is actually an EGL I, but I had it appraised by Dave Atlas and he said it was a J by GIA standards. I wouldn't even call it particularly warm -- it's not as white as my G, but I don't see any yellow at all.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not a fan of white white diamonds, so I wouldn't have an F EC to start, hehee. So I'd definitely LOVE a J OEC! Esp a GIA graded one lol.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Emeraldcutlover|1339770357|3216902 said:
I'm sooo nervous! I just called to see how it exactly works for me to get it to see for myself if it's "the one"... Should I try to find an H or I SI1???? or will it be a lot more that 25?

I wouldn't. At that size it will be really expensive. And honestly with old cuts faceting trumps color. I think you really should give this J a shot. I think you'll be surprised and happy.

As a step cut owner myself and someone who has had OECs, they reflect light very differently from one another. So what you see in terms of rainbow colors is a function of faceting not body color. I fell in love with mine at sunset. OECs at sunset are... wow. All mine have done it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Demelza|1339783532|3217056 said:
Emeraldcutlover|1339776553|3216960 said:

The OEC is actually an EGL I, but I had it appraised by Dave Atlas and he said it was a J by GIA standards. I wouldn't even call it particularly warm -- it's not as white as my G, but I don't see any yellow at all.

I have seen both of these diamonds of Demelzas and can second her opinion that her J looks warmer compared to the G, but on its own it looks white!

I don't like tint in RBs and in step cuts, preferring G and less tinted, but in OECs I am comfortable going down to about a K and still feeling like the stone looks quite white! Old cuts handle light differently and reflect ambient color differently than RBs. For example, my K color RB would look taupe or beige in some lighting and in those same environments my OECs in the J-K range look white or grey like a G color RB!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you decide to sell your other ring to get the OEC, what are the specs on your main EC diamond? There may be interest on your diamond here if the if the cut is excellent and the price is right (I'm in the process of looking for a large EC myself)!

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Momof2sons: I just asked my husband to tell me where the report (GIA) is to tell you exact info. He told me when he gave it to me it was about 2.7 and F color. It's actually 2.31 but the spread of about that. He's super honest but I guess be heard the 2.7 and thought great. It's measurements are about 7.05 approx x 9. (he is not home and I cannot find it but he will as soon as he is home). It is very white and is currently set with about .4 ct each long traps and about .25-30 each bullet. All f color and beautiful. It's a Leon Mege setting. the table and depth he said is within what he should have looked for. He got it from Perry and he doesn't do AsETs but only looks w the eye. He told my husband that the stats can look great and then it can be a Terri or performer. I get a to. Of compliments on it but specifically how you can tell what great quality is. I live where a lot of peoe where ginormous stones and everyone examimes your rings. I can give you more specifics and show you my Leo. Invoice too. If this other stone doesn't pan out, I'm pretty sure I'll keep it bc it is. Waiting up and looks big and clear. I will halo it though if any possible interest in the settings. Can I email u directly w the scans etc? Lmk.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Dreamer D: thx so much for the info! I'm really clueless about OEC's and just started to learn about EC after my recent new one my husband got. I kind wish I was still ignorant bc the more you find out -the more nitpicky I become. Ugh. That's why I really didn't know that much bc I would completely analize it like my setting I got. It's beautiful. It. Of exactly what I thought it would be. That's why I should just go the cast route next time. So I see exactly what I'm getting!!! Lol. I know LM is great. It I nearly had a stroke. Y the time it came and then it wasn't exactly what I had. Hilt up in my head for 6 weeks. Ugh. So now to spend around 7k for a new "unknown" halo may push me over. I called SK and emailed him but he never got it. UGH. It took me fore ER to type it up with examples etc. then I spoke to Mark at ERD. Soooo responsive and nice and reasonable. Any suggestions on who to pick once I decide on which stone to use??

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Ps. I apologize to everyone for all the grammar errors. My phone is self correcting everything!! :cry:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results