shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this heliodor?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
In addition to a nicely saturated aqua, I'm also looking for a nicely saturated yellow stone. I received a heliodor this week from D&J. Based on the vendor photo, I was originally concerned that the stone may look slightly green. Now that I have it in hand, I'm concerned that it looks slightly orange/brown. :lol: Anyhow, please take a look and be as critical and as honest as you can. I haven't decided whether to keep it or not.

Vendor photo:
heliodorvendor.jpg

The stone looks closest to the vendor photo in strong indirect sunlight.

With more practice with my camera, my photos are pretty spot on this time around.

I think the stone looks best in diffused sunlight:
heliodordiffusedsun.png
heliodordiffusedsun2.png

It shows more orange/brown under fluorescent lamps:
heliodorflourescentlamp.png
heliodorflourescentlamp2.png

So, what do you think? Are there stones that stay more yellow across different lighting conditions that I should consider? Any tips on settings that can help minimize the orange/brown? Thanks in advance.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree that there's a brown tone to it, and a little bit of orange. I think keeping it depends on how you like your heliodors.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as a yellow stone is concerned, I do think it is lacking in saturation, although it is nicely cut. That being said, it is difficult to find highly saturated golden yellow stones, unless they're treated.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1314408581|3001050 said:
I agree that there's a brown tone to it, and a little bit of orange. I think keeping it depends on how you like your heliodors.

I would agree with this, but add that I have seen some heliodores with less brown than this one has. What about a chrysoberyl? I guess it would be rare for them to have a pure golden hue...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prior experience has taught me not to bezel stones with strong brown or orange secondaries. Your stone is very pretty and bright and should perform best at brightest lighting. I did not see many heliodores and think that yours is beautiful.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is very beautiful - what a cut! -, and has minimal browning from your photo evidence, but it's more important that it pleases you in all lights, and it's too significant a purchase to just suck it up if you don't love it. Let us know what you decide, please :twirl:

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions! The cut is excellent and the orange/brown only shows up sometimes. It's a tricky decision.

What color metal is more suitable in this case to help minimize the orange/brown?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color of the setting always "drags" the color of the stone in a certain direction. Yellow gold "drags" the color towards yellow, white may be OK in your situation, it is not great for stones with strong grey secondary, which yours is not. Setting may be more important. Bezeling will bring out brown, I learned the hard way, so it has to be pronged. The more you open the stone in the setting, allow more light, the more yellow it will look, like it looks very yellow in your most lighted photo. Just my two cents, I do not know what other PS-ers think. White should be OK, too, if you like white gold.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was eyeing that gem for a while. I think it is a pretty color. I like your photos better than the vendor photos as well. I agree with above comments, a yellow gold setting would make the gem appear more yellow and less brown.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks well cut and depending on the price and if you can accept the "browning" indoors, there are ways to minimize the downside of that heliodor. A warm yellow gold prong set setting should play up the yellow. Finding saturated yellows is a difficult task, which is probably why so many yellow sapphires are diffused.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the ideas! Alright, I guess it comes down to whether I can find a nice 4-prong yellow gold setting to go with it.

I spent more time with the stone in different lighting conditions, and it looks like the orange/brown is most apparent under fluorescent lamps. Under mixed lighting conditions, there is minimal orange/brown as long as sunlight is present. Is this typical for yellow stones? Or specific to heliodors? Would finding something with higher saturation "solve" these issues?

Some orange/brown under incandescent bulbs, but a bit less than under fluorescent lamps:
heliodorincandescent.png

Minimal orange/brown under fluorescent lamps in diffused sunlight:
heliodormixedlight.png

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It probably depends on the spectrum of the source of light and the wavelengths which the stone reflects. I do not think it is typical for all yellow stones, they probably reflect similar, but not identical spectra. But "Heliodor" means "gift of the sun" in Greek, so perhaps they knew that the stone looked best in direct sunlight. :bigsmile:

This is just my guess...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results