shape
carat
color
clarity

what do you think of this emerald cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
My local jeweler has offered to bring this in for me. Here are the stats I got over the phone.

How does it look? Worth a look? Or should I pass? Why?

Emerald cut

G/VS1
GIA certified
1.56ct
table: 62
depth 69
girdle: thick
polish/ EX symmetry: EX

measurements 7.50x5.82x4.03

What do you all think?

edited for typos

peridot83

Shiny_Rock
I am a total newbie, so you probably want the others to jump in. Based on what I know, the numbers are fine. Here is a chart: http://www.gemappraisers.com/oldcutgraderules.asp

Some concerns:

1. The bigger the length/width ration (i.e 1.5 versus 1.2) the more likely it will have trouble reflecting light.
2. The crown height usually should be from 11.1-16.2% (an important # to have)
3. Is a little on the deep side, so you're loosing some carat weight, but the # is still good (deeper is better than too shallow!)

As has been reiterated over and over on the boards, need pics, idealscope, and even ASET (if you can swing it) before anyone can really tell you whether its any good. Many fancy cut diamonds can look awesome on paper and are as dull as glass in person.

Here is a thread, if you hadn't seen already, with a great emerald cut that breaks the crown height rule:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/emerald-cut-lovers-what-do-you-think.60198/

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not a newbie.

Actually by the numbers it looks very good. the l/w ratio is just a matter of personal choice... and will not affect the light performance at 1.5. Crown height info might be nice.... But not It's not too deep to perform well, but it's not going to be spready with a 69 depth and a thick girdle. Nice table fabulous polish and symmetry.

And while all the things mentioned above.. idealscope, and even ASET are nice... NOTHING is as important as your eyes. Trust them first and foremost! The other stuff is great, but you're not going to be staring at an Ideal scope. You're gong to stare at the diamond. I would definitely call that puppy in.

One caveat. IF its going to cost A LOT of $$ to call it in... then an idealscope and a couple of pictures would be great-- so that you can see what the light performace and so forth look like before you commit to a fee. If its free... call it in. Has the potential to be a winner.

Great job!!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think I''m being charged to look at it, but I''ll double check. I actually love fat emeralds. I like the rectangular look so I''m not looking for an asscher. But I''m not crazy about long and skinny either. So the ratio on this one looks nice.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s a personal choice. I prefer REALLY fat emeralds 1.2-1.3. But I''ve seen some lovely longish ones as well on here.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is unlikely that he has an ASET - if you are prepared to get one and the ideal-light you can take good photo''s yourself for us with this set of instructions using a simple type of camera (the big SLR type are not as good with the small peep hole in ASET)

Then we can help you

http://ideal-scope.com/newsletters_issue008.asp

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2007 1:47:08 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
It is unlikely that he has an ASET - if you are prepared to get one and the ideal-light you can take good photo''s yourself for us with this set of instructions using a simple type of camera (the big SLR type are not as good with the small peep hole in ASET)

Then we can help you

you know garry - the pictures you had me take of my stone using a paper plate with a hole in it turned out nearly identical results as the IS did except in white rather than red! hehe... pretty cool actually! Okay so you didn''t say to take pics like that, you just said to look at it... but I took pics LOL

peridot83

Shiny_Rock
You've probably done the research already, so ignore this post if you have! These emeralds are not necessarily any good/bad by the #s, but here's some pics of different l/w ratios. You have to click on the magnified image link on the right to see.

1. http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=860047

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=936199

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=864827

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=881921

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/6/2007 1:55:49 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 4/6/2007 1:47:08 AM

Then we can help you

you know garry - the pictures you had me take of my stone using a paper plate with a hole in it turned out nearly identical results as the IS did except in white rather than red! hehe... pretty cool actually! Okay so you didn''t say to take pics like that, you just said to look at it... but I took pics LOL
post some C

We can model the same lighting in DiamCalc too - GIA used it in their first part of their cut study (before they lost their way)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2007 2:10:54 AM

you know garry - the pictures you had me take of my stone using a paper plate with a hole in it turned out nearly identical results as the IS did except in white rather than red! hehe... pretty cool actually! Okay so you didn't say to take pics like that, you just said to look at it... but I took pics LOL
post some C

We can model the same lighting in DiamCalc too - GIA used it in their first part of their cut study (before they lost their way)
The first two are taken in the exact lighting environ. I took several pics with the plate and then pulled the plate off and snapped some without it without even moving my feet. I and the camera are facing a window (the window is behind the stone) and the stone is held perpendicular to the floor. The walls in the room are light green, the couch is light blue, there is a lot of wood in the room, the ajacent kitchen is the orangey yellow, and I am fair with blonde hair. You can see all of these colors in the stone. I was going to post these months ago but I thought I'd wait to see what the IS looked like... just in case it was off but it wasn't! Except that the white color is difficult to read LOL It would be even harder in a D colored stone.

re: this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bowtie-oval.53639/

cbforgarry.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2007 2:06:00 PM

post some C

The first two are taken in the exact lighting environ. I took several pics with the plate and then pulled the plate off and snapped some without it without even moving my feet. I and the camera are facing a window (the window is behind the stone) and the stone is held perpendicular to the floor. The walls in the room are light green, the couch is light blue, there is a lot of wood in the room, the ajacent kitchen is the orangey yellow, and I am fair with blonde hair. You can see all of these colors in the stone. I was going to post these months ago but I thought I''d wait to see what the IS looked like... just in case it was off but it wasn''t! Except that the white color is difficult to read LOL It would be even harder in a D colored stone.

re: this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bowtie-oval.53639/
I just went to edit the post and its too late but what I meant to say is that the window is behind my *hand* but my hand is blocking the light from behind.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Cehra, this is OT but here's a very quick first (poor) attempt at an ASET for what to my eye was a "very good" cut quality cushion. Need to get the white balance correct. These cushions are interesting stones.

cu-aset-smaller.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2007 10:13:06 AM
Author: elmo
Cehra, this is OT but here''s a very quick first (poor) attempt at an ASET for what to my eye was a ''very good'' cut quality cushion. Need to get the white balance correct. These cushions are interesting stones.
yes, each unique - I find it quite refreshing in a sea of near identical rounds. That aset pic is very pretty but with the green it is hard to tell what is leakage and what is horizon return. The aset on my stone was a lot green and red, very little blue and not much black except in the corners there is a spot in each corner that is a leaker but they''re going under prongs mostly anyway. The aset on mine looks like a christmas gift done in green paper with a red bow going each way LOL
+

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

post some C

The first two are taken in the exact lighting environ. I took several pics with the plate and then pulled the plate off and snapped some without it without even moving my feet. I and the camera are facing a window (the window is behind the stone) and the stone is held perpendicular to the floor. The walls in the room are light green, the couch is light blue, there is a lot of wood in the room, the ajacent kitchen is the orangey yellow, and I am fair with blonde hair. You can see all of these colors in the stone. I was going to post these months ago but I thought I''d wait to see what the IS looked like... just in case it was off but it wasn''t! Except that the white color is difficult to read LOL It would be even harder in a D colored stone.

Great photo''s C
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 5:33:18 PM

Great photo''s C
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
thanks garry :) Its interesting to me that the semi-leaky areas under the table don''t show through to my finger, but rather have a crushed ice look that... well... looks very distinctly the hue of a J stone!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 5:37:28 PM

thanks garry :) Its interesting to me that the semi-leaky areas under the table don''t show through to my finger, but rather have a crushed ice look that... well... looks very distinctly the hue of a J stone!
woops, where as the 4 truly leaky areas on the corners acually does show flesh. Its funny because almost every picture I have of my stone from face up those areas are dead but thankfully they''re not in an important area and the rest of the stone is very alive.... if you tilt the stone those areas will come to their own but then other areas open up. I still think the white paper trick predicted the IS marvelously!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results