shape
carat
color
clarity

What Do You Think Of This Cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
This is a spinel I bought recently. I got quite an story on it. But before I share the story, can you dear experts tell me what do you think of its cut?

UnEdited 99.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Oh... I love the purple. It looks like a Dan''s stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut looks acceptable but I'm not hot about the colour. I've also not seen a spinel exhibit windowing at a tilt angle especially in a round cut and with a high RI.
33.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s difficult to see the cut because either the photos are too dark, or the stone is too dark.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 9:36:58 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
It''s difficult to see the cut because either the photos are too dark, or the stone is too dark.
Yeah... I agree too with Chrono about the windowing. Doesn''t seem quite right.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yingh - this spinel looks very familiar to me. Was it sold as a "colour change spinel" by any chance?

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
No - it was sold as a regular spinel. I thought I saw a window and made comments about the cut without carefully watching my tone. It came across as a criticism. The cut is a very nice guy that is loved by PSer''s . I apologized repeatedly, feeling so guilty! However, still can''t say that I love this cut. The center of the spinel seemed sleepy to me,

QUOTE]Date: 3/15/2009 6:53:12 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Yingh - this spinel looks very familiar to me. Was it sold as a ''colour change spinel'' by any chance?[/quote]
7.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2009 11:08:12 AM
Author: yingh
No - it was sold as a regular spinel. I thought I saw a window and made comments about the cut without carefully watching my tone. It came across as a criticism. The cut is a very nice guy that is loved by PSer''s . I apologized repeatedly, feeling so guilty! However, still can''t say that I love this cut. The center of the spinel seemed sleepy to me,

QUOTE]Date: 3/15/2009 6:53:12 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Yingh - this spinel looks very familiar to me. Was it sold as a ''colour change spinel'' by any chance?
7.gif
[/quote]
Aaaaaah I see! The reason I asked was I recently purchased a "colour change spinel" and when it arrived it was very dark, same cut as yours, with absolutely no colour change. I returned it and the vendor gave me a full refund. However the seller relisted on Ebay and somebody sent me an email asking why I had returned it. I didn''t reply because I wasn''t sure what the etiquette would be as the seller had been very good about the return. When I saw your stone I thought it was the same one! Obviously not. Sorry for any confusion.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
It reminds me of a grape coolaid drink color.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not an expert by any means, but it does look a bit dark. The cut looks like it would be nice if the stone wasn''t so dark.

I wanna hear the story.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
From these pics, I'm not crazy about the cut. Most colored stones may appear to window on a tilt, but I like that to be as minimized as much as possible.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the pictures, it is hard to be objective about the cut and the color of the stone. Can you take a picture of it straight on? If you don't love it, I would return it. I am sure you will find something to replace it that speaks to you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don''t love it, return it. There''s no point in having a stone that you aren''t proud of and kept sitting at the bottom of your collection.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I never liked this spinel. There is something about the sleepy center that really bothered me from the moment I saw it. However, I felt very guilty due to my big-mouthed comments on the cut - I told the cutter that I saw a window and the table was on the larger side, and some other comments like that. That totally upset him. I felt really bad for not being sensitive to feelings of others. I straightened it out with the cutter and learned a GOOD lesson about communication. The cutter did offer that I can still return it. However, I feel kind of awkward to do that now.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 1:01:14 AM
I never liked this spinel. There is something about the sleepy center that really bothered me from the moment I saw it. However, I felt very guilty due to my big-mouthed comments on the cut - I told the cutter that I saw a window and the table was on the larger side, and some other comments like that. That totally upset him. I felt really bad for not being sensitive to feelings of others. I straightened it out with the cutter and learned a GOOD lesson about communication. The cutter did offer that I can still return it. However, I feel kind of awkward to do that now.
You should not feel awkward. You don''t like the stone, no big deal...the cutter should and will be able to live with it. Don''t keep it for the sake of not hurting his feelings any more (or whatever it is you are feeling). It''s a business. You buy, you don''t like, you return.

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto - don''t keep it out of guilt. You don''t love it now, and I doubt you will grow to love it - in fact, if you keep it out of regret it will probably bug you every time you look at it. Return it and let it find a happy home. (I''m sure your vendor would not want you to keep it out of awkwardness, etc. - he just wants your continued business!)
1.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 7:01:03 AM
Author: babysteps
Ditto - don''t keep it out of guilt. You don''t love it now, and I doubt you will grow to love it - in fact, if you keep it out of regret it will probably bug you every time you look at it. Return it and let it find a happy home. (I''m sure your vendor would not want you to keep it out of awkwardness, etc. - he just wants your continued business!)
1.gif
I agree! Consider this a business deal. You don''t LOVE the stone in any way, shape, or form. Life is too short for non-dreamy gems
2.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2009 1:01:14 AM
THAT upset him? You've got to be kidding, right? I know people take pride in their work, but as business people, they need to be able to take/accept criticism as well.
20.gif
I think you were absolutely right to give these comments to him. Heck, I've said much worse things to a faceters about a stones I wasn't happy with, and they were totally fine with it. I think constructive criticism should help in the long run, and not hurt.

Yingh, I think you suffer from "being too nice."
2.gif
Send that stone back, it's $$ afterall, and you can use that to spend on a gem that you love instead.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results