Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this Chrysoberyl?

Fuzzy25

Rough_Rock
Joined
Mar 30, 2011
Messages
7
The search is on for a nice yellow/goldenish-yellow stone to use in an antique-y white gold delicate halo setting.

One of the cutters I'm in contact with sent me a picture of this chrysoberyl. In our exchange, I described the color I'm looking for as a yellow/goldenish-yellow, NOT a greenish-yellow or a muddy, brown yellow. Admittedly, the description I gave him is vague as it is difficult to put color into words, but he said that he is confident that this rough will make the stone that I need.

I'm a little worried about the color of the rough meeting what I'm looking for. To me, there's a little green in there, especially towards the top.

Attached are a picture of the rough and, for reference, a picture of another pricescoper's chrysoberyl that she deemed too green-toned to work in a white gold setting.

Thoughts on the color of the rough? Thanks!

Greenish Chrysoberyl.jpg

Chrysoberyl Rough.jpg
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
23,251
Fuzzy25|1304189981|2908638 said:
The search is on for a nice yellow/goldenish-yellow stone to use in an antique-y white gold delicate halo setting.

One of the cutters I'm in contact with sent me a picture of this chrysoberyl. In our exchange, I described the color I'm looking for as a yellow/goldenish-yellow, NOT a greenish-yellow or a muddy, brown yellow. Admittedly, the description I gave him is vague as it is difficult to put color into words, but he said that he is confident that this rough will make the stone that I need.

I'm a little worried about the color of the rough meeting what I'm looking for. To me, there's a little green in there, especially towards the top.

Attached are a picture of the rough and, for reference, a picture of another pricescoper's chrysoberyl that she deemed too green-toned to work in a white gold setting.

Thoughts on the color of the rough? Thanks!
I have one chyrsoberyl that has a lot of minty sparkles and is a very bright neon greenish yellow. I set it on top of an empty platinum mount, and it looked nice in there, but I think other metal colors would suit it better. I particularly love chrysoberyls in rose gold. White metal would be my last choice for a greenish yellow stone It really needs the strength of saturation to be in white metal, as many gems do. White tends to bring out modifiers like grey or brown, whereas, yellow and rose gold tend to hide it better. That's one of the reasons it took me eons to find a stone for an empty white gold mount I had. I not only had to find the right shape for it, but it had to be large, and most importantly, it had to have good saturation as to not "die" in the setting.

That's a pretty piece of rough, but unfortunately, you really need to wait until it's cut to see how it will perform. Stones can lose saturation once cut, or gain it as well.
 

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Aug 31, 2009
Messages
1,199
As the person who owns that second stone, I'd caution you to not order a stone you can't return for a white gold mount if you haven't set a chrysoberyl or something the color of what you're looking for in it before.

The picture you used is the greenest my stone looks in any light, but I really think TL is right, that the color of the mount brings out the green cast (and possibly some brown). I do think a more purely yellow sapphire could work in my mount (which is platinum) but it's the neon and greenishness of chrysoberyl that isn't working for me.

Can you return a stone that you have cut from rough with the cutter you're working with? If you can't, I'd be worried about doing this, at least from my experience.
 

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
12,337
I understand the desire to avoid washing out a stone and therefore avoiding white mountings for yellows that are not highly saturated. But I am really surprised to think that a saturated chrysoberyl with a greenish cast does not look good in white gold. I am a big lover of rose gold, but I guess I can't imagine it looking good with a greenish yellow - I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just perplexed :???:
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
23,251
minousbijoux|1304196609|2908701 said:
I understand the desire to avoid washing out a stone and therefore avoiding white mountings for yellows that are not highly saturated. But I am really surprised to think that a saturated chrysoberyl with a greenish cast does not look good in white gold. I am a big lover of rose gold, but I guess I can't imagine it looking good with a greenish yellow - I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just perplexed :???:
It's not that it looks hideous, or just awful in white gold, but it looks better with other metals. At least that's my experience with yellows and chrysoberyls.
 

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Aug 31, 2009
Messages
1,199
TL|1304197126|2908708 said:
minousbijoux|1304196609|2908701 said:
I understand the desire to avoid washing out a stone and therefore avoiding white mountings for yellows that are not highly saturated. But I am really surprised to think that a saturated chrysoberyl with a greenish cast does not look good in white gold. I am a big lover of rose gold, but I guess I can't imagine it looking good with a greenish yellow - I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just perplexed :???:
It's not that it looks hideous, or just awful in white gold, but it looks better with other metals. At least that's my experience with yellows and chrysoberyls.
That's my feeling, too, at least in regards to my chrysoberyl, and I think the photo of mine that the OP has used really shows it. I didn't like the color of the stone as much when it was against the platinum; the white brought out something rather unappealing in it, for me.
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
23,251
Novel|1304205823|2908754 said:
TL|1304197126|2908708 said:
minousbijoux|1304196609|2908701 said:
I understand the desire to avoid washing out a stone and therefore avoiding white mountings for yellows that are not highly saturated. But I am really surprised to think that a saturated chrysoberyl with a greenish cast does not look good in white gold. I am a big lover of rose gold, but I guess I can't imagine it looking good with a greenish yellow - I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just perplexed :???:
It's not that it looks hideous, or just awful in white gold, but it looks better with other metals. At least that's my experience with yellows and chrysoberyls.
That's my feeling, too, at least in regards to my chrysoberyl, and I think the photo of mine that the OP has used really shows it. I didn't like the color of the stone as much when it was against the platinum; the white brought out something rather unappealing in it, for me.
In general, I don't like any yellow gem in white metal. However, they do look nice with yellow prongs, basket and white shank, for people that prefer white metal. My chrysoberyl halo is a white shank, but yellow halo.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top