shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of these two sapphires?

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Jeff is cutting one for you? Then, I can say you're in excellent hands.
In my experience, his photos are spot-on, (more than any other.)
If you like the look of it in the photo, I imagine you'll be pleased IRL as well.
If it appears too dark, per his description or photos.., well then obviously don't purchase it.
Do you have a non-refundable custom cutting deposit or ???

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
faegrace|1306528509|2931913 said:
Jeff is cutting one for you? Then, I can say you're in excellent hands.
In my experience, his photos are spot-on, (more than any other.)
If you like the look of it in the photo, I imagine you'll be pleased IRL as well.
If it appears too dark, per his description or photos.., well then obviously don't purchase it.
Do you have a non-refundable custom cutting deposit or ???
Thankfully I don't. He was so certain it would be too dark for me, but I'm still thinking maybe I'll luck out.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I actually hope they sent you the wrong stone, because I'd be very disappointed if a reputable vendor like Gemfix misrepresented a stone like that. Have you tried measuring it, and do the measurements match the description on the website?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
jstarfireb|1306529051|2931925 said:
I actually hope they sent you the wrong stone, because I'd be very disappointed if a reputable vendor like Gemfix misrepresented a stone like that. Have you tried measuring it, and do the measurements match the description on the website?
I don't have a very accurate measurement device. But I may go by a jewelry store and see if they can for me.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
athenaworth|1306527711|2931904 said:
Those pics are in shade, under the fluorescent lights in my office, the incandescents in my office and in direct sun. I tried all that I could think of.

Actually I realized I didn't post the pic of it in direct sun, so here you go.

Ewww. Worse and worse. Whether it's the blue or the green, it certainly isn't a keeper, and it certainly doesn't resemble the vendor pic.

You'd be doing the forum a favor if you posted this on the Vendor/IRL photo sticky up at the top. I wished I had done that with the spinel I received, but it wasn't nearly as "off" as this, so I didn't bother.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OK, I'll do that.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good lord, Athena, do the photos reflect what you see in real life?? If so, that is pretty shocking. I hope it is an error.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They do. In fact, the photos make the stone look prettier than it does in real life.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gemfix gave me a return authorization. All is well.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Well..... I really feel terrible for you , and now I feel really meh about GemFix (from whom I have never purchased,
but have been to their site drooling numerous times...)

You have every right to be terribly dissatisfied !
So sorry! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your BARRY STONE however !!!!!!!!
LOVE.

You know, as often as I take photos of my stones,
I have the WORST luck taking attractive pictures of some of my
prettiest stones, simply because I haven't been able to capture the lighting right,
or the stone just ISN'T PHOTOGENIC !!!! or something.
Kenny, help me out....

Right now, it's killing me, because I have 2 spinels and a couple of garnets that
DON'T PHOTOGRAPH WELL NO MATTER WHAT I DO !!!!!!!!
and in real life, they are STUNNERS !!!!!!!!!!!

But I have NEVER succeeded in taking a photo that makes a "bad" stone look "good" :devil:

Is it photoshop then?
How do they do that????
And again, so sorry for your purchase. All the anticipation.
It is George Costanza, all right !

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Aoife: Was it that round Spinel that I thought was so pretty? The one that was marked "Sold" and now it's back?
I really do want to know, because I was thinking of making a purchase from them, and am sort of not, now....
Not if the stone you returned didn't live up to it's picture...

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
What a dreadful misrepresentation of a stone! Thank goodness there is no argument over returns! I must admit I'm now very wary of looking at Gemfix stones. Thanks so much for posting both as a caution for CS members.

I'm sure you'll find your perfect sapphire soon, pickle xx

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
ooo~Shiney!|1306583399|2932333 said:
Aoife: Was it that round Spinel that I thought was so pretty? The one that was marked "Sold" and now it's back?
I really do want to know, because I was thinking of making a purchase from them, and am sort of not, now....
Not if the stone you returned didn't live up to it's picture...

It was the round spinel that I returned. In fact, it never even made it out of the gem box before I contacted them for a return authorization. The color was not anywhere near as "off" as what Athena received. Actually, it was pretty close to what I suspected was wrong with it. My (slight) irritation with Gemfix for the transaction was that I did ask in advance for details about saturation, tone, etc., and just received a generalized response (and I'm paraphrasing) saying the saturation was great, I'd love it. The description of the color was "dusty rose," and I'd say a more accurate description would be "murky rose," but since that was what I was halfway expecting, I wasn't terribly surprised. If I hadn't been looking for so long for a gemstone in that size-range, I would never have ordered it. I think Athena's experience is substantially different.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Huh..strange mix-up. Glad you have return authorization now. I have thought that their prices seemed a little low--maybe the prices reflect their stones more than their photography?

Also, thanks for posting your experience/review. I have considered purchasing from GemFix before but will now approach them with more caution in case I ever do purchase anything.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
athenaworth|1306548433|2932162 said:
They do. In fact, the photos make the stone look prettier than it does in real life.

Wow, disturbing. Please post those photos in the vendor comparison thread so that this is documented and all are aware of this problem. Yuck.

Glad you are able to return easily, though!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I strongly agree with the others that you should return it.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - when you contacted GemFix for return authorization number, did you specify why you're returning it -- enormous color discrepancy between website photo and color IRL?

I do not wish to pry into your personal correspondence or into matters you do not wish to disclose, but if it were me in this situation I would have made a point of stating my extreme disappointment and surprise that the stone in no way and in no lighting conditions ever exhibited the color portrayed in the posted website photo... and I'm curious if GemFix provided any explanation for the mind-boggling discrepancy?

I have had very good experience with GemFix and have purchased 4 stones (could be 5) and returned 2 stones (which didn't fit project, not due to misrepresentation) --- but even for me, a satisfied GemFix customer, I would definitely hesitate before ever purchasing from them again based on your experience -- it just cannot be reconciled in my head as a reasonable mistake.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
marymm|1306595909|2932430 said:
OP - when you contacted GemFix for return authorization number, did you specify why you're returning it -- enormous color discrepancy between website photo and color IRL?

I do not wish to pry into your personal correspondence or into matters you do not wish to disclose, but if it were me in this situation I would have made a point of stating my extreme disappointment and surprise that the stone in no way and in no lighting conditions ever exhibited the color portrayed in the posted website photo... and I'm curious if GemFix provided any explanation for the mind-boggling discrepancy?

I have had very good experience with GemFix and have purchased 4 stones (could be 5) and returned 2 stones (which didn't fit project, not due to misrepresentation) --- but even for me, a satisfied GemFix customer, I would definitely hesitate before ever purchasing from them again based on your experience -- it just cannot be reconciled in my head as a reasonable mistake.

I didn't express any disappointment in my first email because I was afraid it would somehow make them not respond to me (blame it on too many HS antics as a kid), but I did write them afterwards asking if possibly they sent me a different stone because of the humongous color difference. Haven't heard anything back, but I'll let you all know.

I haven't been pleased with GemFix' customer service from the get go, and I really should've followed my gut instinct. They're handled way more like a "large company" and their email responses reflect that. When I asked for the extra photos in the first place they put me off for a while. I don't know but to me it doesn't seem all that hard to take a stone outside and snap a quick photo of it (if you have it readily available to you - which I believe they do). I won't buy from them again and I guess I'm only out the shipping for my learning experience.

T

talamasca

:o :shock: OMG I can't believe they misrepresented the stone!! I wonder how they managed to get the green showing so much in their pic???

The service I received from Gemfix was really good, though when I asked about more pics, ie on the hand, etc they did just say that only the one pic was available, but the stone was described accurately (thankfully).

I'm really suprised that they didn't say it was a colour shifter or that it appeared more blue/grey in certain lighting!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results