Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of these two sapphires?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,442
The greenish one is 6.9mm and the blue one is 6.5mm.

mont-blsapph-hand2.jpg
 

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Feb 24, 2011
Messages
373
Oooh, Athena, very pretty. Details, please. 8) I love the light blue coming through against the royal blue. Ahhh.

~ faegrace
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,442
See, I love them both and can't decide if I want the typical blue sapphire now or the fun greenish Montana sapphire! I wish I had the dough to get both and test them out (they're for my old platinum ering setting)

ring1.JPG

ring2.JPG

ring3.JPG
 

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Feb 24, 2011
Messages
373
That IS a tough decision.
The cuts are comparable, so that doesn't help.

What do you think of that shade of green against platinum?
 

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2010
Messages
1,683
I like the green because it's less common, but they both are nice.
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,442
faegrace|1306359937|2930193 said:
That IS a tough decision.
The cuts are comparable, so that doesn't help.

What do you think of that shade of green against platinum?
I honestly don't know! Ugh!
 

LD

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 29, 2008
Messages
9,707
Presumably they're comparable in that they're both either heated or unheated and neither are treated in any way?

If so, I'd buy them both! The green is a lovely shade of blue/green, almost teal, and if that colour is true to real life then it's a lovely example of a green sapphire. The blue sapphire is a lovely colour and lively. I suspect it may darken a little once set so may be just a tiny bit too dark (but not by much).

It's a really difficult choice - and not one I'd like to make. Being a gem junkie, I would HAVE to buy both and live on bread and water for the month! :twirl:
 

BoulderGal

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jan 31, 2010
Messages
359
LovingDiamonds|1306364570|2930261 said:
Presumably they're comparable in that they're both either heated or unheated and neither are treated in any way?

If so, I'd buy them both! The green is a lovely shade of blue/green, almost teal, and if that colour is true to real life then it's a lovely example of a green sapphire. The blue sapphire is a lovely colour and lively. I suspect it may darken a little once set so may be just a tiny bit too dark (but not by much).

It's a really difficult choice - and not one I'd like to make. Being a gem junkie, I would HAVE to buy both and live on bread and water for the month! :twirl:
What fantastic finds!!!

I tend to agree with loving diamonds here. I really dig the green/teal, if only because of the unusual color! I think it would look great in your setting. If I may ask, where did you get them?

BoulderGal
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,442
I got the Montana (greenish) sapphire! It may wind up being too big for my setting, but I had to see. :D

It's from GemFix, btw. I'm excited now.
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
23,283
athenaworth|1306357515|2930149 said:
The greenish one is 6.9mm and the blue one is 6.5mm.
What is the color shift on the green one. Sometimes green sapphires can go really grey. I like the blue since to me, the blue is more saturated out of the two.
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,442
TL|1306370508|2930354 said:
athenaworth|1306357515|2930149 said:
The greenish one is 6.9mm and the blue one is 6.5mm.
What is the color shift on the green one. Sometimes green sapphires can go really grey. I like the blue since to me, the blue is more saturated out of the two.
This is from the website: Amazing color: blue and green, light and dark. Excellent clarity, beautifully cut, very sparkly.
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
23,283
athenaworth|1306371509|2930371 said:
TL|1306370508|2930354 said:
athenaworth|1306357515|2930149 said:
The greenish one is 6.9mm and the blue one is 6.5mm.
What is the color shift on the green one. Sometimes green sapphires can go really grey. I like the blue since to me, the blue is more saturated out of the two.
This is from the website: Amazing color: blue and green, light and dark. Excellent clarity, beautifully cut, very sparkly.
It says nothing about the color shift, which many vendors often purposely leave out :Up_to_something: I have a green sapphire that looks great in sunlight, and turns into charcoal in artificial light. Just to warn you.
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,442
TL|1306371635|2930373 said:
athenaworth|1306371509|2930371 said:
TL|1306370508|2930354 said:
athenaworth|1306357515|2930149 said:
The greenish one is 6.9mm and the blue one is 6.5mm.
What is the color shift on the green one. Sometimes green sapphires can go really grey. I like the blue since to me, the blue is more saturated out of the two.
This is from the website: Amazing color: blue and green, light and dark. Excellent clarity, beautifully cut, very sparkly.
It says nothing about the color shift, which many vendors often purposely leave out :Up_to_something: I have a green sapphire that looks great in sunlight, and turns into charcoal in artificial light. Just to warn you.
Well thank goodness for a great return policy!
 

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
24,117
They both look pretty. I hope you like the green one in person. It looks great in the photo.
 
T

talamasca

Guest
Ooo personally I love the green and think it would look fab in your ring, which is very pretty BTW :)
 

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 3, 2009
Messages
7,768
Hard choice, Athena, but the green one is a good decision. It is more different. Love the color, saturation, brilliance & cut -- did I leave anything out? :love: If you don't go nuts for it IRL, the blue one is some consolation prize. Pics of it set sometime soon, please! I think I would've had to starve to death rather than choose between them!

--- Laurie
 

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 6, 2010
Messages
1,501
Oh, you don't have them yet? I don't know how you could possibly decide !!!!
I LOVE the blue one, though !!!!!!!!!!!!
Although the green is fabulous as well.... :love: :cheeky: :love: :cheeky:

I hope you are more decisive than I am,

It is so easy for me to make critical decisions at work,
but when it comes to gemstones, it's like I lose my mind.....UGH !!!!
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,442
I don't know how in the Hell they got the green in that picture, but I got my sapphire and I am seeing no green at all. The worst part? They're closed until next Thursday. I have 7 days to return. Gah!

montana4.JPG

montana3.JPG

montana2.JPG

montana.JPG
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,442
this is what it looks like on their site

Montana Sapphire GemFix.jpg
 

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 6, 2005
Messages
2,991
Wow! I'm not seeing any green either. I wonder if they sent you a blue one by mistake.
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,442
Kismet|1306525561|2931868 said:
Wow! I'm not seeing any green either. I wonder if they sent you a blue one by mistake.
that's the only thing I can think of. GRR
 

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Feb 24, 2011
Messages
373
Oh, Athena, I'm sorry. Their photos obviously look nothing like IRL. :angryfire: It honestly looks grey....

What now?
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,442
faegrace|1306526327|2931881 said:
Oh, Athena, I'm sorry. Their photos obviously look nothing like IRL. :angryfire: It honestly looks grey....

What now?
Well, I've called and emailed them, so hopefully I won't get screwed on the 7 day return policy. Then it's back to the drawing board.
 

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Feb 24, 2011
Messages
373
I am very sorry this sapphire was soooo not right. I am glad you're returning it though. I wish I had returned a couple I didn't, so at least you have that on your side. I cannot imagine Laura not honoring the return policy.

What other options are you considering? I am guessing with other vendors or ???
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,442
faegrace|1306527310|2931898 said:
I am very sorry this sapphire was soooo not right. I am glad you're returning it though. I wish I had returned a couple I didn't, so at least you have that on your side. I cannot imagine Laura not honoring the return policy.

What other options are you considering? I am guessing with other vendors or ???
Well, Jeff White was going to be cutting one for me, but he was fairly certain it would be darker than what I wanted. He wrote me that he's going to start cutting it next week. We'll see if that'll work out.
 

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 23, 2010
Messages
1,779
Goodness. That's not even close, is it?

What light did you photograph and look at it in? Obviously, you don't want a sapphire that looks like that in any light, but it would be interesting to know what light it was photographed in. I returned a spinel to them recently which also didn't look the way it did in the vendor photograph, but it wasn't even close to what you received.

As long as you e-mailed them right away, I really can't see how they could refuse to authorize a return. It's not your fault they are closed for the next few days.

Are you still considering a sapphire? EDTA: I just saw Jeff White is cutting one for you.
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,442
Aoife|1306527502|2931901 said:
Goodness. That's not even close, is it?

What light did you photograph and look at it in? Obviously, you don't want a sapphire that looks like that in any light, but it would be interesting to know what light it was photographed in. I returned a spinel to them recently which also didn't look the way it did in the vendor photograph, but it wasn't even close to what you received.

As long as you e-mailed them right away, I really can't see how they could refuse to authorize a return. It's not your fault they are closed for the next few days.

Are you still considering a sapphire? EDTA: I just saw Jeff White is cutting one for you.
Those pics are in shade, under the fluorescent lights in my office, the incandescents in my office and in direct sun. I tried all that I could think of.

Actually I realized I didn't post the pic of it in direct sun, so here you go.

montana5.JPG
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top