shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of these two sapphires?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The greenish one is 6.9mm and the blue one is 6.5mm.

mont-blsapph-hand2.jpg

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty, I like the green best.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Oooh, Athena, very pretty. Details, please. 8) I love the light blue coming through against the royal blue. Ahhh.

~ faegrace

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
See, I love them both and can't decide if I want the typical blue sapphire now or the fun greenish Montana sapphire! I wish I had the dough to get both and test them out (they're for my old platinum ering setting)

ring1.JPG

ring2.JPG

ring3.JPG

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
That IS a tough decision.
The cuts are comparable, so that doesn't help.

What do you think of that shade of green against platinum?

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I like the green because it's less common, but they both are nice.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
faegrace|1306359937|2930193 said:
That IS a tough decision.
The cuts are comparable, so that doesn't help.

What do you think of that shade of green against platinum?
I honestly don't know! Ugh!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are stunning! :love: Perhaps just toss a coin to decide?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Presumably they're comparable in that they're both either heated or unheated and neither are treated in any way?

If so, I'd buy them both! The green is a lovely shade of blue/green, almost teal, and if that colour is true to real life then it's a lovely example of a green sapphire. The blue sapphire is a lovely colour and lively. I suspect it may darken a little once set so may be just a tiny bit too dark (but not by much).

It's a really difficult choice - and not one I'd like to make. Being a gem junkie, I would HAVE to buy both and live on bread and water for the month! :twirl:

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1306364570|2930261 said:
Presumably they're comparable in that they're both either heated or unheated and neither are treated in any way?

If so, I'd buy them both! The green is a lovely shade of blue/green, almost teal, and if that colour is true to real life then it's a lovely example of a green sapphire. The blue sapphire is a lovely colour and lively. I suspect it may darken a little once set so may be just a tiny bit too dark (but not by much).

It's a really difficult choice - and not one I'd like to make. Being a gem junkie, I would HAVE to buy both and live on bread and water for the month! :twirl:

What fantastic finds!!!

I tend to agree with loving diamonds here. I really dig the green/teal, if only because of the unusual color! I think it would look great in your setting. If I may ask, where did you get them?

BoulderGal

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I got the Montana (greenish) sapphire! It may wind up being too big for my setting, but I had to see. :D

It's from GemFix, btw. I'm excited now.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1306357515|2930149 said:

What is the color shift on the green one. Sometimes green sapphires can go really grey. I like the blue since to me, the blue is more saturated out of the two.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
TL|1306370508|2930354 said:

What is the color shift on the green one. Sometimes green sapphires can go really grey. I like the blue since to me, the blue is more saturated out of the two.

This is from the website: Amazing color: blue and green, light and dark. Excellent clarity, beautifully cut, very sparkly.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1306371509|2930371 said:

This is from the website: Amazing color: blue and green, light and dark. Excellent clarity, beautifully cut, very sparkly.

It says nothing about the color shift, which many vendors often purposely leave out :Up_to_something: I have a green sapphire that looks great in sunlight, and turns into charcoal in artificial light. Just to warn you.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
TL|1306371635|2930373 said:
athenaworth|1306371509|2930371 said:

It says nothing about the color shift, which many vendors often purposely leave out :Up_to_something: I have a green sapphire that looks great in sunlight, and turns into charcoal in artificial light. Just to warn you.
Well thank goodness for a great return policy!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They both look pretty. I hope you like the green one in person. It looks great in the photo.

T

talamasca

Ooo personally I love the green and think it would look fab in your ring, which is very pretty BTW :)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Hard choice, Athena, but the green one is a good decision. It is more different. Love the color, saturation, brilliance & cut -- did I leave anything out? :love: If you don't go nuts for it IRL, the blue one is some consolation prize. Pics of it set sometime soon, please! I think I would've had to starve to death rather than choose between them!

--- Laurie

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, you don't have them yet? I don't know how you could possibly decide !!!!
I LOVE the blue one, though !!!!!!!!!!!!
Although the green is fabulous as well.... :love: :cheeky: :love: :cheeky:

I hope you are more decisive than I am,

It is so easy for me to make critical decisions at work,
but when it comes to gemstones, it's like I lose my mind.....UGH !!!!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I should have it tomorrow! Wee

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't know how in the Hell they got the green in that picture, but I got my sapphire and I am seeing no green at all. The worst part? They're closed until next Thursday. I have 7 days to return. Gah!

montana4.JPG

montana3.JPG

montana2.JPG

montana.JPG

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
this is what it looks like on their site

Montana Sapphire GemFix.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I'm not seeing any green either. I wonder if they sent you a blue one by mistake.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kismet|1306525561|2931868 said:
Wow! I'm not seeing any green either. I wonder if they sent you a blue one by mistake.
that's the only thing I can think of. GRR

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Oh, Athena, I'm sorry. Their photos obviously look nothing like IRL. :angryfire: It honestly looks grey....

What now?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
faegrace|1306526327|2931881 said:
Oh, Athena, I'm sorry. Their photos obviously look nothing like IRL. :angryfire: It honestly looks grey....

What now?
Well, I've called and emailed them, so hopefully I won't get screwed on the 7 day return policy. Then it's back to the drawing board.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
I am very sorry this sapphire was soooo not right. I am glad you're returning it though. I wish I had returned a couple I didn't, so at least you have that on your side. I cannot imagine Laura not honoring the return policy.

What other options are you considering? I am guessing with other vendors or ???

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
faegrace|1306527310|2931898 said:
I am very sorry this sapphire was soooo not right. I am glad you're returning it though. I wish I had returned a couple I didn't, so at least you have that on your side. I cannot imagine Laura not honoring the return policy.

What other options are you considering? I am guessing with other vendors or ???
Well, Jeff White was going to be cutting one for me, but he was fairly certain it would be darker than what I wanted. He wrote me that he's going to start cutting it next week. We'll see if that'll work out.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Goodness. That's not even close, is it?

What light did you photograph and look at it in? Obviously, you don't want a sapphire that looks like that in any light, but it would be interesting to know what light it was photographed in. I returned a spinel to them recently which also didn't look the way it did in the vendor photograph, but it wasn't even close to what you received.

As long as you e-mailed them right away, I really can't see how they could refuse to authorize a return. It's not your fault they are closed for the next few days.

Are you still considering a sapphire? EDTA: I just saw Jeff White is cutting one for you.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aoife|1306527502|2931901 said:
Goodness. That's not even close, is it?

What light did you photograph and look at it in? Obviously, you don't want a sapphire that looks like that in any light, but it would be interesting to know what light it was photographed in. I returned a spinel to them recently which also didn't look the way it did in the vendor photograph, but it wasn't even close to what you received.

As long as you e-mailed them right away, I really can't see how they could refuse to authorize a return. It's not your fault they are closed for the next few days.

Are you still considering a sapphire? EDTA: I just saw Jeff White is cutting one for you.

Those pics are in shade, under the fluorescent lights in my office, the incandescents in my office and in direct sun. I tried all that I could think of.

Actually I realized I didn't post the pic of it in direct sun, so here you go.

montana5.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results