shape
carat
color
clarity

what do you think of the color of this padparascha ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
this pad ring also has some diamonds somewhere in it... I''m getting it for an amazing price...

padring1998.jpg.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most pads on the market are diffused to get their color, so that might be why the price is low.

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
diffused???

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the description say "Padparadscha coloured sapphire"?

Lattice diffusion, berylllium diffusion, diffusion (all different names for treatments). When you take a normal coloured sapphire and add beryllium to the heating process to enhance yellow and orange tones. Pads are not common and natural Pads will cost top $. If you see a Pad that's cheap then the chances are it's been treated to obtain the Pad colour.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 7:20:21 PM
Author: rparker1998
diffused???
Kind of like "dyed" to get that color. So they wouldn''t be worth much at all.

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 7:30:46 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Does the description say ''Padparadscha coloured sapphire''?

Lattice diffusion, berylllium diffusion, diffusion (all different names for treatments). When you take a normal coloured sapphire and add beryllium to the heating process to enhance yellow and orange tones. Pads are not common and natural Pads will cost top $. If you see a Pad that''s cheap then the chances are it''s been treated to obtain the Pad colour.

The description says "14K PADPARADSCHA COLOR SAPPHIRE W.GOLD RING"

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 7:43:17 PM
Date: 1/30/2009 7:30:46 PM

Does the description say ''Padparadscha coloured sapphire''?

Lattice diffusion, berylllium diffusion, diffusion (all different names for treatments). When you take a normal coloured sapphire and add beryllium to the heating process to enhance yellow and orange tones. Pads are not common and natural Pads will cost top $. If you see a Pad that''s cheap then the chances are it''s been treated to obtain the Pad colour.

The description says ''14K PADPARADSCHA COLOR SAPPHIRE W.GOLD RING''

Diffused.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask the Seller the question. If it has a website, have a look to see if there's a page on enhancements.

As a general rule of thumb, if a Pad is cheap, it's been diffused and is not a Pad.

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
here are more details for you:

89.00 for the ring

Metal Weight: 14K GOLD 3.81g.

Type: PADPARADSCHA COLOR SAPPHIREPiece(s): 4Total Weight: 0.972 Ct.Size: 4.5X3.5 MMShape: OVALSetting Type: PRONGOrigin: MADAGASCAR

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2009 7:53:12 PM

89.00 for the ring

Type: PADPARADSCHA COLOR SAPPHIREPiece(s): 4Total Weight: 0.972 Ct.Size: 4.5X3.5 MMShape: OVALSetting Type: PRONGOrigin: MADAGASCAR
Diffused - sorry!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 7:53:12 PM

89.00 for the ring

Diffused. It''s pad colored, NOT a pad sapphire. Big difference.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if it those were natural colored padparadscha''s, the best quality and some experts agree that the only pads that should be labeled as pads, should come from Sri Lanka, not Madagascar or anywhere else.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2009 8:20:43 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Even if it those were natural colored padparadscha''s, the best quality and some experts agree that the only pads that should be labeled as pads, should come from Sri Lanka, not Madagascar or anywhere else.
Is that correct? I thought that the word Padparadscha was more about a distinguishing colour rather than locality?

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the advice you knowledgable folks...i heart you all

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2009 8:23:53 PM

Is that correct? I thought that the word Padparadscha was more about a distinguishing colour rather than locality?
Experts tend to disagree about this, and I don''t think it''s been decided on definitively. You''ll often see pads from Africa labeled as "African Padparadscha" because of this origin dispute. For the "padparadscha purist," I don''t think they wouldn''t want anything less than a Sri Lankan stone.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
And some experts argue that "Locality is not a practical way of defining gem varities." Link Richard Hughes goes on to say that the best pad he has ever seen came from Vietnam.

All depends on your expert, I guess.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Loving Diamonds,
I too have been belabouring under the impression that colour, not origin, defines a Padparadscha. As Hughes points out in the above article, cuprian tourmalines from Nigeria are still deemed to be Paraibas.

Fly Girl,
If the experts themselves disagree, who are we to present opinion as fact?
2.gif

How did we veer onto this topic anyway? Isn't the OP's question about the colour of the 'Pads' in which he was interested, not where the best Pads are found?

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
P: 1/30/2009 7:09:33 PM

Date: 1/30/2009 7:09:33 PM
Author:rparker1998
this pad ring also has some diamonds somewhere in it... I'm getting it for an amazing price...

I really like the color and at the price why not even if the stones are treated.

When you think of all the steps that went into putting that ring togethe,r eighty bucks seems like quite a deal even if the stones are treated.

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/31/2009 9:14:59 PM
Author: colormyworld
P: 1/30/2009 7:09:33 PM

Date: 1/30/2009 7:09:33 PM
Author:rparker1998
this pad ring also has some diamonds somewhere in it... I''m getting it for an amazing price...

I really like the color and at the price why not even if the stones are treated.

When you think of all the steps that went into putting that ring togethe,r eighty bucks seems like quite a deal even if the stones are treated.

I decided not to purchase this ring - as I wasn''t crazy about it and learning that the word color in the description highly implies treated stones wasn''t in my book at this point for a rare stone...i''ve learned something about gems since joining this forum :) I try to learn something new everyday about jewelery.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Even just the mounting in 14 k from stullers would be ninety dollars wholesale.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/31/2009 11:19:42 PM
Even just the mounting in 14 k from stullers would be ninety dollars wholesale.
That''s not a reason to buy it though unless the setting is THE reason for buying it. You''ve then got the cost of unsetting the central stones, finding 4 other matching gemstones and getting it set again. Sometimes, it''s not worth the hassle. The only time I do this is when the setting is one I HAVE to have.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
My point which you seem to have missed LD is that the price seems more than fair for the item. Even if the stones are treated.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2009 3:25:40 PM
My point which you seem to have missed LD is that the price seems more than fair for the item. Even if the stones are treated.
I don''t believe I have missed your point at all.

You seem to have missed the whole point of this thread. The OP thought the Pads to be untreated and therefore rare which would have made the ring an exceptional bargain had that been the case. I don''t believe the cost of the setting was even factored into the decision making process. Buying gemstones that one doesn''t want just because the price is "fair" is a waste of money whether it''s $10 or $10,000.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 3:41:20 PM

I don't believe I have missed your point at all.

You seem to have missed the whole point of this thread. The OP thought the Pads to be untreated and therefore rare which would have made the ring an exceptional bargain had that been the case. I don't believe the cost of the setting was even factored into the decision making process. Buying gemstones that one doesn't want just because the price is 'fair' is a waste of money whether it's $10 or $10,000.
what do you think of the color of this padparascha ring? is the title of the thread. I mean come on a complete ring with pad colored sapphires for ninety dollars. Seems as though I was the only one who actually said anything about the actual color of the stones. Every one else mentions treatment. Again I'll say for NINETY DOLLARS.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2009 3:57:23 PM

Date: 2/1/2009 3:41:20 PM

I don''t believe I have missed your point at all.

You seem to have missed the whole point of this thread. The OP thought the Pads to be untreated and therefore rare which would have made the ring an exceptional bargain had that been the case. I don''t believe the cost of the setting was even factored into the decision making process. Buying gemstones that one doesn''t want just because the price is ''fair'' is a waste of money whether it''s $10 or $10,000.
what do you think of the color of this padparascha ring? is the title of the thread. I mean come on a complete ring with pad colored sapphires for ninety dollars. Seems as though I was the only one who actually said anything about the actual color of the stones. Every one else mentions treatment. Again I''ll say for NINETY DOLLARS.
IF you like the ring (and I''m sure the gold weight will be light) and IF you like dreadful accent diamonds - because they''re going to be frozen spit for that money and IF you like the colour of the treated Pads and IF you wanted a treated Pad ring then ok. $90 fits the bill and indeed I agree $90 is a very fair price.

If you don''t want all/any of the above then it''s $90 down the drain. I don''t buy jewellery just because it''s a fair price. I buy it because I love it and want it. There''s a big difference. If it''s a fair price then all the better. From the OP''s recent posts I believe she''s learning about coloured gemstones and wants something good. It wouldn''t be fair to encourage her to spend money on something that in the long run she may regret and bought because she thought it was something it''s not. Many people do that when starting a collection and it ends up with tons of "I wish I hadn''t bought that".

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Well I guess the OP did not like the ring. The post was I am sure just a random post.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Moral of the story: You get what you pay for.

rparker1998,
Not all treatments are bad, but that''s my humble opinion.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
mparker what Harriet says is so true. By the picture I see. The color of the stones are beautiful even if they are treated to get that color. If you like the design and color. Make it yours and think about all the money you saved. If you think treatment issues will bother you look else where. If treatment is an issue I think natural spinels may fill the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results