shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of David Yurman?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
Another thread about "jewelry crazes" prompted me to ask about David Yurman.

Do you like the brand and its designs? Do you think it''s classic or trendy? Any other thoughts?

I only own one DY cable bracelet, which my fiance bought for me. I wouldn''t buy another again. He bought it for me a while back, and when I compare it to the new ones in the stores, the new ones are significantly lighter than the older one I own although the design is the same. I guess DY is skimping on metals.

I wouldn''t buy any more DY because I find the line generally overpriced. And now, in Chicago at least, it has become so trendy. I used to think of it as a classic brand, but now every young 20-something girl (I''m a 20-something too) seems to wear David Yurman. It feels like it''s as trendy as Tiffany sterling used to be.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2009 7:15:32 PM
Author:Gleam
It feels like it''s as trendy as Tiffany sterling used to be.
This kinda makes me giggle a bit as I used to work on the David Yurman account @ a fashion mag back in 1992. Its been in (& out) for a loooonnnnggg time now. Never really appealed to me back then either. Equestrian? Preppy? Knocked off every which way from Sunday.

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/13/2009 7:24:05 PM
Author: decodelighted
Date: 11/13/2009 7:15:32 PM

Author:Gleam

It feels like it's as trendy as Tiffany sterling used to be.

This kinda makes me giggle a bit as I used to work on the David Yurman account @ a fashion mag back in 1992. Its been in (& out) for a loooonnnnggg time now. Never really appealed to me back then either. Equestrian? Preppy? Knocked off every which way from Sunday.

That's the thing, I don't feel like it used to be trendy. Maybe I'm not old enough to remember... I'm 25. I used to think it was more of a preppy/equestrian thing as you noted. Now it feels like it's de rigueur for sorority girls (and I WAS a sorority girl!) the way Tiffany bead bracelets used to be.

Oddly, I've never seen it knocked off. I'm sure it's very common on Ebay or something, but I've never personally met anyone or seen anyone wear what I know to be a DY knockoff.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2009 7:25:16 PM
Author: Gleam
I don''t feel like it used to be trendy. Maybe I''m not old enough to remember... I''m 25. I used to think it was more of a preppy/equestrian thing as you noted. Now it feels like it''s de rigueur for sorority girls (and I WAS a sorority girl!) the way Tiffany bead bracelets used to be.

Oddly, I''ve never seen it knocked off. I''m sure it''s very common on Ebay or something, but I''ve never personally met anyone or seen anyone wear what I know to be a DY knockoff.
Department stores always have house brand "silver & gold" combo pieces that are CLEARLY inspired by Yurman. And even around here we''ve seen his "twist" e-ring collection copied AGAIN & AGAIN.

But back to the trend issue ... hard to say. My sister is a 37 year old law partner & she''s been rocking the DY for 10+ years at least. Her DH has always been into it for reasons unknown. However, she''s also been graced by the Tiffany Bead collection so: make of that what you will.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yurman''s designs don''t appeal to me. The things he makes are very similar to a Philadelphia designer named Lagos, which is more reasonably priced.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the jewelry is pretty, but the prices are a bit steep in my opinion. I do not own any nor do I plan on purchasing either...but it is pretty!

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Yellow pieces are pretty, never understood SS+gold blends...$1,400 for a SS cable bracelet when Silpada, Lia Sophia, Overstock, etc are si 'inspired' to the T to reproduce them.... no thanks. .2¢

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I have always liked David Yurmans designs.i dont consider his jewelry lines trendy because he has been around since the mid-eightys and still has a strong following for his old as well as his new designs.His jewelry is over priced but I would really like to have one of his cable bracelets or one of his rings with blood stone inlay!It is a shame that the pieces get lighter and the prices higher...but every jeweler from Tiffany to Cartier is doing that !

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i know many people that love dy pieces, but i just don''t see the appeal. a little too pricey + clunky for my tastes.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I like the twisted silver and gemstone look of his more simple pieces. I don''t have any of them though and I don''t plan to get them because I think they are overpriced. Also, I like things that are more unique. I am already sick of seeing it on so many people. So it''s not for me. I would love to have something non - DY with some of the elements that I like, though.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was gifted a cable bracelet some years ago.

I wouldn't buy myself one. It's a pretty piece, but it doesn't make me swoon - it's not the first thing I pull out for really any event, and I only ever wear it stacked, and for that price I'm looking to swoon! I love his buckle designs, though.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
A friend of mine has a beautiful David Yurman ring. I''d love to have something of his, but the prices are too high.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don''t like Yurman''s practices. He has copyrighted the cable bangle and has created a lot of legal headaches for jewellers and designers who are using a very ancient design which is not a Yurman unique. The worse is that it isn''t even effective...

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do like the look, but agree it''s overpriced. I don''t own anything of his design. But wouldn''t be against it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wouldn''t buy it, and if I received something like that, I''d probably do something to get rid of it. Otherwise it''d never be worn because it is not my taste at all. But they are SOOOOOO popular here in the SW. Yeesh.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see it everywhere, but I agree with jcrow, too clunky for me. I prefer fine jewelry.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Yurman necklace-and-earrings set that was a gift. I think it''s lovely, but I agree that his stuff tends to be overpriced, and for that reason it''s not something I would have bought for myself.

The bracelets were really trendy a couple of years ago but I don''t see them quite as often anymore. They''re still common but I probably see them on the street two or three times a week, whereas before it was two or three times a day.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I like it, but I'm a much bigger fan of John Hardy's Balinese designs. I don't actually own any David Yurman, but my MIL collects it, and her pieces are very nice.

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
I''m so glad that the OP asked this question... I''ve wondered myself what people thought of Yurman. Personally, I''m not a fan, just not my style. And if I had to vote, I''d have no trouble voting "trendy" over "classic." That being said, his stuff HAS been around for decades now (hummm, so, what makes a design classic, anyway?). Regardless, I know there is a huge DY following and there is a certain "oooh-ahhh" associated with his merchandise that I''ve never quite understood. So, it is good to read here that some of you like DY, and others not so much. I''m not the only one who doesn''t find this style to my taste, so, I''ve not TOTALLY missed the boat on this one...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Overpriced and cheap, lower quality, machine cut stones.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I have 3 of his bracelets that I wear stacked - rather, wore. I''m tired of the look.

I remembering seeing his Asian Pacific home in an Arch. Digest spread, wow - guess that was why
he pieces were so expensive

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like my jewelry to be more on the delicate side, so his style definitely doesn''t appeal to me. And anyways, I enjoy putting together my own jewelery more than buying it already made, and I feel like I can put together a much nicer piece for the price.

That being said, I''m always tempted by the Cartier rolling ring even though it''s also overpriced for just 3 metal rings :razz:

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I am not a fan of the look. To me they look like something out of the 80''s.

I wanted to add that my barely 15 year old daughter loves the bracelets and has begged for one, even a knock off forever.
The older girls at her school have them. Teenagers seem to like a lot of things that look like the 80''s right now.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a petite albion ring from years ago that I got off ebay. I like it but no way was it worth the full price...or even what I paid for it (which was reasonable), IMHO. Pretty much the rest of the line doesn''t appeal to me at all.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
To me it looks dated.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
To expensive, and the gems are generally yucky.

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock
I love DY, have been collecting it since I was 18 years old. However, now that my jewelry knowledge has increased I recognize just how overpriced it really is. Personally I really like the look of it.
2.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I think some of it is nice but I think its WAY overpriced.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

For what it is -- SS and cheap OK cut stones I think it is overpriced. Don''t get me wrong, some pieces are nice and look great on other people. But the materials don''t cost anywhere near 1/2 the price charged.

And for me the look is too chunky.

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
I''ve never been that found of DY jewelry- too chunky for me. As for classic.. he has been around for awhile, but I don''t know that I would call his designs timeless- many of his designs do look a bit dated to me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results