shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think? James Allen 0.80 Round...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

adak

Rough_Rock
After a lot of research, I found what I considered to be a great diamond (for our price range) and sent the link to my boyfriend, who has since purchased it. He purchased the diamond from James Allen so that it can be set in a Danhov setting with minimal hassle, however, I''ve since read that some of the diamonds sold on James Allen can be questionable. I''m curious now. What do you think of this diamond?

Shape: Round
Carat weight: 0.80
Cut: Ideal (the GIA report states "Very Good")
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 62.7%
Table: 54.0%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Slightly thick to thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 5.90*5.94*3.71

Crown Angle: 34
Pavilion Angle: 41

I confirmed that the diamond is eye clean. I feel like I compromised on a few things (girdle, fluorescence) to hit our price point. The diamond certainly does not have to be "perfect".
2.gif
I learn new things on here every day, so I hope I didn''t jump the gun! Thank you for your input!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 4:31:45 PM
Author:adak
After a lot of research, I found what I considered to be a great diamond (for our price range) and sent the link to my boyfriend, who has since purchased it. He purchased the diamond from James Allen so that it can be set in a Danhov setting with minimal hassle, however, I've since read that some of the diamonds sold on James Allen can be questionable. I'm curious now. What do you think of this diamond?

Cut: Ideal (the GIA report states 'Very Good')

Depth: 62.7%
Table: 54.0%
Girdle: Slightly thick to thick
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 5.90*5.94*3.71

Crown Angle: 34
Pavilion Angle: 41

I confirmed that the diamond is eye clean. I feel like I compromised on a few things (girdle, fluorescence) to hit our price point. The diamond certainly does not have to be 'perfect'.
2.gif
I learn new things on here every day, so I hope I didn't jump the gun! Thank you for your input!

Concerning James Allen, they are an excellent vendor with a great rep here. As with all vendors, you need to evaluate each diamond carefully on its own desirable visual and physical properties, some diamonds are cut better than others and can take a bit of work finding the best cut.

As to the diamond you chose, it is a bit deep and is facing up a little small due to the depth and the thick girdle. The diamond is described as Ideal, but many vendors use this term and it is no guarantee of a well cut rock. The angle ranges are good, so all in all it is a well cut diamond going by the info we have. Also no compromise on the fluorescence, you might not even notice it anyway!

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
I think you chose a nice diamond. We look forward to seeing the photos!

adak

Rough_Rock
I found a new one and was able to swap it out. I really need to stop looking at diamonds!
2.gif

Cut: Excellent

Depth: 61.6%
Table: 56.0%
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.93*5.98*3.67

Crown Angle: 34.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.6

Not much difference, but I guess this one is more "mind clean" to me?! Thank you for your opinions, Lorelei and RBsearch!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 4:00:40 PM
Author: adak
I found a new one and was able to swap it out. I really need to stop looking at diamonds!
2.gif

Not much difference, but I guess this one is more 'mind clean' to me?! Thank you for your opinions, Lorelei and RBsearch!
I prefer this one, not as deep as the first and the girdle is within better range - good decision to go for this diamond I think. And you are most welcome!

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 4:25:00 PM
Author: Lorelei

2.gif

Not much difference, but I guess this one is more ''mind clean'' to me?! Thank you for your opinions, Lorelei and RBsearch!
I prefer this one, not as deep as the first and the girdle is within better range - good decision to go for this diamond I think. And you are most welcome!
Lorelei, your knowledge amazes me! Your are such an asset to the PS community
36.gif

Adak, James Allen has a great return policy of 30 days if that helps any. Good luck!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 5:25:59 PM
Author: akmiss

Date: 3/11/2009 4:25:00 PM
Author: Lorelei

2.gif

Not much difference, but I guess this one is more ''mind clean'' to me?! Thank you for your opinions, Lorelei and RBsearch!
Lorelei, your knowledge amazes me! Your are such an asset to the PS community
36.gif

Adak, James Allen has a great return policy of 30 days if that helps any. Good luck!
Oh gosh, that is very kind of you akmiss - thank you!! I try to share the bit of knowledge I have if it helps at all and I enjoy adding to it daily here, your kind words mean a lot to me!!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results