shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think about this Sphene?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I have been somewhat smitten by the Sphene''s -- saw one in person this week -- and what sparkle! I loved it and now have begun a search. But just as I found my upgrade stone kind of quickly, have a found a nice Sphene too? I know it''s tough to judge without viewing it in person... but any thoughts?

Experts I need your help....here it is.. please let me know your opinions... Thanks!

Sphene

sphenepic.jpg

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
2.gif
Oh, a sphene, how fun.

I'm not an expert but from what I've learned, a round brilliant will give more dispersion (colors) than the other cuts and this is what a sphene is all about. Also, a darker sphene may tend to give off more red, while lighter color sphenes give off more yellow and green and less red.

They are interesting and what you might call an acquired taste. I think many are not that pretty to look at, at first, (say, compared to a pretty blue sapphire) but how some of the perform !
31.gif

I've bought from them. It was a Very well cut stone, BUT, you may find the stone significantly darker (and also more dark green/olive) in person than it is in the photo. I'd also e-mail them and ask if they photoshop (alter) their photos on their site in any way
2.gif

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/16/2008 9:25:34 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Oh, a sphene, how fun.

I''m not an expert but from what I''ve learned, a round brilliant will give more dispersion (colors) than the other cuts and this is what a sphene is all about. Also, a darker sphene may tend to give off more red, while lighter color sphenes give off more yellow and green and less red.

They are interesting and what you might call an acquired taste. I think many are not that pretty to look at, at first, (say, compared to a pretty blue sapphire) but how some of the perform !
31.gif

I''ve bought from them. It was a Very well cut stone, BUT, you may find the stone significantly darker in person than it is in the photo. I''d also e-mail then and ask if they photoshop (alter) their photos on their site in any way
2.gif
Thanks for your input sonoma -- I emailed him yesterday for more pics, but no response yet
8.gif

I''ve only seen a sphene in person once.. and it did capture me... like you said, the performance!! The dispersion was hypnotic! Maybe this is a stone best purchased in person....I''m in no hurry, but I am partial to step cuts... Thanks again for your reply

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I like step cuts, also. However (and just passing this info on) someone told me a sphene won''t do colors like it should at all in a step cut. I''m not telling you what to do, of course, just passing the info. I don''t have any first hand knowledge, never having seen a step cut sphene in person.

Oh, and do confirm that any more photos they send are not manipulated.
2.gif

In my previous post, disregard the wink at the very beginning. I don''t know how that ended up there. (?)

Do tell us how it goes.

Interesting creatures, those sphenes.
26.gif

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/16/2008 9:56:00 PM
Author: sonomacounty
I like step cuts, also. However (and just passing this info on) someone told me a sphene won''t do colors like it should at all in a step cut. I''m not telling you what to do, of course, just passing the info. I don''t have any first hand knowledge, never having seen a step cut sphene in person.

Oh, and do confirm that any more photos they send are not manipulated.
2.gif

In my previous post, disregard the wink at the very beginning. I don''t know how that ended up there. (?)

Do tell us how it goes.

Interesting creatures, those sphenes.
26.gif
Thanks again sonoma -- I really do appreciate your info ... VERY MUCH!
I guess I will know when it''s right!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Oh, you are welcome. :)

You can always do your homework, give it your best guess and return it if all doesn''t work out.

Where did you see the sphene you saw in person recently and what kind of cut? Do you know where they bought from?

Wishing you many multicolor flashes - Sonoma.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
If you are after fire and dispersion you will get a lot less with that cut - in the same way as EC diamonds don''t perform in the same way as an rb.

It looks as if it''s going to be a very dark stone IRL.

I would advise contacting a vendor and explaining exactly what you want.

I thought about buying a pale green/yellow step-cut but the vendor advised me it wouldn''t have the performance I was looking for.

Richard Homer sourced me a 4ct oval and two 1.2ct rounds from Tucson earlier this year - they''re a honey gold colour. They are currently in the hands of Fedex and hopefully mid-Atlantic at present.

He and Wink both think they look amazing and I was pretty impressed on the video link. There was not much change out of $1k for the three stones just to give you an idea of price for top quality stones.

I''ve set them as earrings and a pendant in very simple yg pronged settings. They are VERY fragile and easy to break, so you want as little work near them as possible when setting, and earrings/pendants are all they are really suitable for.

Revolution has a killer OMC sphene that he cut posted on here.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a number of Sphenes (both the lime green and marmalade orange variety and also a bi-colour loose stone) and the fire is out of this world. The one in your photo looks like the marmalade variety. Just something to bear in mind is that they don''t photograph well so it''s really worth asking the seller what the fire looks like IRL.

Good luck!

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/17/2008 6:24:04 AM
Author: Pandora II
If you are after fire and dispersion you will get a lot less with that cut - in the same way as EC diamonds don''t perform in the same way as an rb.

It looks as if it''s going to be a very dark stone IRL.

I would advise contacting a vendor and explaining exactly what you want.

I thought about buying a pale green/yellow step-cut but the vendor advised me it wouldn''t have the performance I was looking for.

Richard Homer sourced me a 4ct oval and two 1.2ct rounds from Tucson earlier this year - they''re a honey gold colour. They are currently in the hands of Fedex and hopefully mid-Atlantic at present.

He and Wink both think they look amazing and I was pretty impressed on the video link. There was not much change out of $1k for the three stones just to give you an idea of price for top quality stones.

I''ve set them as earrings and a pendant in very simple yg pronged settings. They are VERY fragile and easy to break, so you want as little work near them as possible when setting, and earrings/pendants are all they are really suitable for.

Revolution has a killer OMC sphene that he cut posted on here.
Thanks Pandora & LovingDiamonds..

Pandora: I can''t wait to see your sphenes... the honey gold color sounds beautiful. I bet you are excited waiting for that package!!!
BTW Does Jeff S (Revolution) have a site to purchase from?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2008 4:39:03 PM
Author: lovewhitediamonds

Pandora: I can''t wait to see your sphenes... the honey gold color sounds beautiful. I bet you are excited waiting for that package!!!
Sadly not, if he did that stone would no longer be there - I''d have bought it in seconds!

My package arrived yesterday am. I don''t have photos, but the stones are incredible. The 4ct oval is one of the best I have ever seen (not that I would expect less from Richard Homer!). It''s honey-gold in one direction and green-gold in another and the dispersion is killer!

I''m thinking of installing downlighters in every room!
9.gif

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
As Pandora said, you'd be best off having a pro source one for you. Explain exactly what you want, color, shape preference, performance, preferred colors of flashes, size, etc.

I've never had a pro source one for me but I bought and returned a few sphenes before I found one that worked out. I'd do it different, in hindsight, and go to a pro. They do it for a living, after all, and will probably save you lots of time & get you an outstanding stone without much price difference.

They are tricky.

Love those sphenes.
31.gif

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/19/2008 8:55:38 AM
Author: Pandora II

Date: 7/18/2008 4:39:03 PM
Author: lovewhitediamonds

Sadly not, if he did that stone would no longer be there - I''d have bought it in seconds!

My package arrived yesterday am. I don''t have photos, but the stones are incredible. The 4ct oval is one of the best I have ever seen (not that I would expect less from Richard Homer!). It''s honey-gold in one direction and green-gold in another and the dispersion is killer!

I''m thinking of installing downlighters in every room!
9.gif
Thanks again Pandora & Sonoma -- I appreciate your input on this....I think I will just take my time, and get the stone sourced.

I''m so excited to see pics of your stones Pandora -- I am really lovin'' the sphene right now -- the dispersion!!!!

I hear ya on the downlighters... I find myself shopping in stores that have them just to stare at my e-ring!
10.gif

stryeyes102

Shiny_Rock
Thought id toss in revolutions stone pics. As pandora said, it is killer
30.gif

Alas, only a day dream for me.. Good luck with your search!

Revolutions OMC thread

OldMineSphene.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Sphene prices are low compared with stones such as sapphires, but my oval cost a lot more than I have spent on some of my best garnets.

I prefer to have my stones sources as I then have access to more stones and don''t have to wade though all the bad to find what I want. It was sheer luck that Richard managed to find these at Tucson. At one point we nearly had to give up the search.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results