shape
carat
color
clarity

Sphene - Old Mine Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Greeting All,
Here is a sphene I finished cutting a few days ago..

I gotta tell you, it is by far the best one yet. Very clean and just explosive with color.

Let me know what you think

OldMineSphene.jpg

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
ooooooooh! Closer, please! It''so alive-looking.... it appears to have a pulse.

More images?

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
I will try to get some better pics. I have to charge the batteries on my good camera and then i will try to get something closer. Keep watching!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like burning ember.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
The color is vibrant-looks alive!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks gorgeous!! I can''t wait to see closer pics.
36.gif

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I must own a sphene. It is amazing!

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
41.gif
Thank you all for your comments. I am REALLY happy with this stone. As it happens, there is a parcel (about 1000 cts) of rough sphene sitting on my front step right now that just arrived from Pakistan. And here I am, stuck at work so I can''t go see it!
29.gif

Oh well. I''ll get to see it later tonight.

But this means that I am going to be cutting a lot of sphene and I will post pictures as I get them done. And I promise to post better pictures of this stone in a day or two.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful stone. I love the color. Looking forward to more pictures.

Linda

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Wow!
30.gif

That is a great photo - I know sphene is really hard to capture in a still image.
36.gif

What is the carat weight of that piece? And please post more photos. You're very clever, I'm really impressed - and so envious! (Pandora slopes off to find out about cutting courses...
27.gif
)

Tee hee, I knew I'd spotted something amazing in that museum last autumn. I have a feeling sphene is going be a stone we see a lot more of.

I wonder if they'll dream up a more 'attractive' name for it - like Tanzanite for Zoisite - any suggestions anyone???
9.gif

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
This little beauty weighs in at exactly 4.75 cts.

It is also known as titanite, which is better than sphene, but people still look at you like you have a second nose when you mention it. Though, truth be told, they look at you like you have a second nose when you say sphene as well...either that or they say "Bless you"...

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2008 5:38:12 PM
Author: Revolution
This little beauty weighs in at exactly 4.75 cts.

It is also known as titanite, which is better than sphene, but people still look at you like you have a second nose when you mention it. Though, truth be told, they look at you like you have a second nose when you say sphene as well...either that or they say 'Bless you'...
Duh, I'd forgotten that
20.gif

Actually Titanite is not bad as a sales-name. Everyone thinks I'm talking about internal organs when I talk about it

That's a great size - can you give us the mm dimmensions?

Sorry, we're a demanding lot here.
9.gif

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
I don''t have my mm guage with me but, using a ruler, it measures out at almost exactly 10x10.

I think when I start merketing these stones I will call it Titanite with sphene in parens: Titanite (sphene)

Maybe I can start an industry ...um...Revolution.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
HELP!! I''ve ruptured my sphene!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruptured? You mean it cleaved or chipped? Oh no!
32.gif

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, bad joke relating to Pandoras comment about people thinking of body parts when mentioning sphene.

The stone is fine and as beautiful as ever.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phew! You really got me worried.
21.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Lol, I was waiting for that one!
27.gif

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Sorry it took so long to get these posted.

Here are two more pics of the stone:

SpheneClose1.jpg

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
and one more:

SpheneClose2.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW, it''s just gorgeous Jeff!!! I really love it.
30.gif
30.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is beautiful!!!!! The color is gorgeous.

Linda

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
WOW! That is one of the most gorgeous things I have ever seen.

What was it like to cut? ie have you had a lot break on you etc

I'm now sulking - my contact at Tucson is struggling to find what I want.
15.gif

And I've got my heart set on them.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
It is actually really easy to cut. I haven''t ever had one break though a few have popped off the dop.

It polishes really easy as well. I love cutting this stuff!

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
I really wish I could help you out. I have some very nice material (still rough) but I know it is against forum rules to "self-promote". I am not here to sell stones, butI sure wish I could do something for you.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
That's sweet of you!

I've sent over a load of new 'parameters' today, so hopefully I'll get some good news soon!

I am really enjoying seeing your handiwork! You are very talented.

Do you have any pics of other things you have cut in the past? I love looking at the things people manage to produce when they're not based in some factory but are doing it for the sheer enjoyment.

I saw the baby aqua you posted in another thread - I liked the ring design as well.

My father is doing a City & Guilds in Jewellery Making right now (he just retired - he was an eye-surgeon so same skills I think
9.gif
). I keep telling him that there's a job waiting as my benchman!
31.gif

FI has banned me from doing any practical courses until we have a bigger house.
38.gif

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
I have done a little jewelry work and I will persue that deeper someday. I am really considering the gemologist angle though. The stones facinate me so much.

Let me see if I can dig up a few more pics. I have cut hundreds of stones. (and stil have most of them)

I just looked through a bunch of pics of stones i have cut and they are all terrible. I need to take new pics...

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Wow! That is very interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a sphene. I love the pic where you picked up lots of different colors. You should definitely add more pics. Or, set up a web page and link it in a post (if it's not against forum rules.) Cause with all you've cut, that would take up pages and pages on PS.

1.gif

ETA- do you happen to have any amethysts??

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2008 4:38:00 PM
Author: Revolution
I have done a little jewelry work and I will persue that deeper someday. I am really considering the gemologist angle though. The stones facinate me so much.

Let me see if I can dig up a few more pics. I have cut hundreds of stones. (and stil have most of them)

I just looked through a bunch of pics of stones i have cut and they are all terrible. I need to take new pics...
I''ve just started doing my FGA - I''m really enjoying it, although having to do homework for the first time in 17 years has been a bit of a shock!

I also wish that they supplied the course notes on CD ROM - they weigh about 6kg, so not exactly bedtime reading material.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results