shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think about this ring?

Romy

Rough_Rock
The seller asked me if I want them to buff the silver that's on the top to make it shiny. I can't decide if I want to keep the tarnished look, which undoubtedly adds to the antique charm of the ring, or if I want it to look new and shiny?
DSC04516.jpg

What does everyone think? Is it sacrilegious to buff off antique patina?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they only mean to polish the high area (the mountain in the design), sure. They should NOT dip it to remove the patina form the valley. Eeek. No.

Romy

Rough_Rock
If they only mean to polish the high area (the mountain in the design), sure. They should NOT dip it to remove the patina form the valley. Eeek. No.
Rocky Salamander, do you mean only polish the millegrain and the bezel around the center stone? And not the deep areas where the smaller stones are set?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. Imagine you had a polishing cloth. That cloth would only hit the high points of the design as it won't go into the crevices, the valleys between the milgrain and into the setting where the stones are held. When you use a buffing wheel, you are aiming for the same effect. That gorgeous patina and contrast is really critical to the antique nature of the setting. They can also put a high polish on the vertical sides between the bezels. They are antique dealers, so I'd just say for them to use their judgement and that the antique patina is critical to you!

Once she's yours, just use a polishing cloth (with no polish compound), if she needs a bit of a buff on the high point.

Does that help?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't polish it!!!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The seller asked me if I want them to buff the silver that's on the top to make it shiny. I can't decide if I want to keep the tarnished look, which undoubtedly adds to the antique charm of the ring, or if I want it to look new and shiny?
What does everyone think? Is it sacrilegious to buff off antique patina?
I'm surprised he offered since neither you nor he know for sure that you'll be keeping the ring -- and as evidenced by the fact that RR didn't do so before listing the ring, there are customers who would be put off by any gleaming like new, surfaces on an antique ring, even if artfully done as rockysalamander has described. FWIW Sotheby's and Christie's seem to usually leave silver-topped pieces "as is", e.g.,
http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions...of-mrs-charles-wrightsman-n08925/lot.349.html
http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions...50-years-of-artistic-jewels-n08626/lot.5.html

Because I doubt I would want the buffing/polishing,* I personally would be inclined to wait to see it in hand.

* I'll add that I'm not sure what he means by buffing. To me, buffing removes patina, not merely tarnish.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've polished a metric ton of antique silver and it really is an art to get it just right. It is easy to go too far with polishing.

I always turn down anyone offering to polish my antiques. I'd rather just zen-out and do it by hand where I'm in charge and can stop as often as I like to check the finish. It is true that you don't know what this seller means by "polish" and I think @Niel caution is warranted.

A silver piece that is worn will take little care. A little buff with a polishing cloth is all it will need. Store it in a tarnish resisting bag when you won't wear it for a few days. Those bags stop new tarnish and won't affect that which occurs through wearing. Do protect it from acids (e.g., tomato sauce, vinegar) and chlorine (e.g., bleach, swimming pool chemical, etc.). The gold layer (where it is left) should help provide some protection to the silver, but the same cautions remain.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At all? Even light buffing of the high areas is a no-no?
The patina on an old ring actually adds to its value. If this is your forever ring you can do it down the line but I wouldn't have them do it and I would want it on there.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with all the posters. Personally, I would request the dealer not to touch the ring AT ALL. I have seen rings polished to ruin, it doesn't take much on a patina'ed antique. Please wait until you see the ring and then if you buy it then consider your restorative options with an expert.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! :love: As for polishing it- do what you like. I have a few antique platinum rings and I prefer them shiny and polished. I suspect the previous owners liked them shiny back in the day as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results