shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think about this emerald cut?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This looks pretty good to me. Those are typical windmills. I would not worry about them. Ask if you can get an ASET image.
(probably cant, but worth asking).

@Karl_K what say you? Worth further investigating not?

caitlyncv

Rough_Rock
This looks pretty good to me. Those are typical windmills. I would not worry about them. Ask if you can get an ASET image.
(probably cant, but worth asking).

@Karl_K what say you? Worth further investigating not?

Thank you for the response! I requested additional photos/videos and an ASET, but I wasn’t able to get them. However, a jewelry found the stone on their database and I’ll be seeing it in person next week!

caitlyncv

Rough_Rock
@Karl_K @tyty333 I’m sorry to beckon you guys like this, but I just received a video (here) of the diamond and I am SO confused. It doesn’t look anything like the videos on James Allen. Also, it looks super elongated and nothing like a 1.45 ratio. I can’t understand if this is a completely different diamond or if the diamond isn’t facing straight on the tweezers?? The jeweler is now gone on vacation until Tuesday, which is when we were supposed to fly in and see this diamond… Please help you guys!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Different diamond and the 2nd video is total garbage, not useful at all

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no expert and I too thought it couldn't be the same diamond, so it was pretty obvious. So I guess I'd say I wouldn't trust the jeweler who said it was. They must have found another H VS1 of the same carat weight and figured you'd not notice? Not a good practice IMO.

caitlyncv

Rough_Rock
@tyty333 @Karl_K @Lookinagain

IMG_4672.jpeg Alright, major update: we ended up flying out to see the diamond. I took a ton of videos of the stone (jewelry lighting, softer lighting, natural/outdoor lighting) and ASET and ideal scope photos (not sure if I did those right tbh). The diamond in the video I posted prior was the incorrect diamond. The broker that my jeweler is working with sent the wrong one. I don’t blame him, but I also wish he noticed that something was off about that stone. He was extremely apologetic about it.

Video (jewelry store lighting)

Video (outdoor lighting/no direct sun)

Video (softer lighting?)

IMG_4671.jpeg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
jewelry store lighting video link is not working right.

Not a fan of it, it should be dancing a lot more and the ASET even with the to bright backlight is not the best.
In the 3rd video it should be dancing like crazy and its kinda meh.
The middle video is not that helpful because its not tilting the right way.
So my overall opinion is not horrible but not great either.
The lack of the dance is its biggest downfall.

caitlyncv

Rough_Rock
jewelry store lighting video link is not working right.

Not a fan of it, it should be dancing a lot more and the ASET even with the to bright backlight is not the best.
In the 3rd video it should be dancing like crazy and its kinda meh.
The middle video is not that helpful because its not tilting the right way.
So my overall opinion is not horrible but not great either.
The lack of the dance is its biggest downfall.

Thank you for the reply. I know what you mean about the third video. That video really unimpressed me too. I am feeling so frustrated. I have looked at so many emerald cuts over the last four months and this is the best I have seen in my price range. I am starting to feel like I will never be able to find the right one. When I look on websites like James Allen, Blue Nile, etc. just to see what’s out there, there appears to be so many horribly cut emeralds. Maybe it’s just the way they are photographed. But this one really stood out to me by the even and alternating facet pattern. I was really hoping for a knock out. By the way, the ASET was taking over a white sheet of paper (the GIA print out) with no backlight.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Hi. I was also on the hunt for an EC about 9 months ago. It is very difficult to find. Do you live near NYC? You could try IDJewelry. But even with that, the best is seeing it in person or having a concierge look at it who will give you an honest opinion. I ended up going for a LG diamond from Jann Paul. I still don’t have it as they had to grow it, but it was finally graded and I saw the ASET and videos in different lighting conditions and it is amazing. Unbelievable fire and brilliance. Now I have to wait for them to set it. Anyway, the JP EC’s are not 1.45 ratio. They are a little wider, but I’m happy with the look and can’t wait to see it in person.

Fancy cuts are tough, but the search will be worth it. Make sure you don’t settle on what counts, like cut and clarity. Maybe you could go down a little in color to get more choices.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
The images you posted do seem a bit static. Keep looking, ask Karl. There are nice ones out there.

caitlyncv

Rough_Rock
Hi. I was also on the hunt for an EC about 9 months ago. It is very difficult to find. Do you live near NYC? You could try IDJewelry. But even with that, the best is seeing it in person or having a concierge look at it who will give you an honest opinion. I ended up going for a LG diamond from Jann Paul. I still don’t have it as they had to grow it, but it was finally graded and I saw the ASET and videos in different lighting conditions and it is amazing. Unbelievable fire and brilliance. Now I have to wait for them to set it. Anyway, the JP EC’s are not 1.45 ratio. They are a little wider, but I’m happy with the look and can’t wait to see it in person.

Fancy cuts are tough, but the search will be worth it. Make sure you don’t settle on what counts, like cut and clarity. Maybe you could go down a little in color to get more choices.

Thank you for your reply. I may go for a lab diamond at this point and continue the search for the perfect natural emerald over the next two years or so. My goal really is to have a natural one day, but I definitely want the search to be more casual and fun than it’s been. We are fried at this point LOL. Please post pictures and videos of your diamond when it arrives! It sounds like a dream.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Why don't you try using Jon at Distinctive Gem or IDJ to help you? I believe Jon's concierge fee is reasonable. Other PSers have had success finding step cuts with both vendors.

caitlyncv

Rough_Rock
Alright, back with another diamond up for consideration:

3.5 H VVS2 - GIA Report

Video
thumbnail.png

thumbnail-2.png
thumbnail-1.png

Thoughts? It looks amazing to me, but I would love some second opinions.

caitlyncv

Rough_Rock
@Karl_K what potential issues might I find when I see this stone in person if the ASET and ideal scope images are good? Sometimes I can’t see issues with a stone in person, but the scope images can make them obvious to me.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Check that your happy with the face up pattern mainly in flat lighting but not limited to one location.
Check the dance, rotate it slowly side to side and it should put on a dance as it catches different light sources.
Do this under many different lighting conditions.
If the dance does not excite either its a dud or an ec is not for you.
It is really a test of the viewer as well as the stone.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rock them East/West, not North/South like the jeweler did in those other videos. This one looks pretty lively in the video...hope
it holds up in person!

caitlyncv

Rough_Rock
Our jeweler is working on getting this diamond in! Woo!

In the meantime, I also received the below photo, which is a “dark field loupe” image. I have never heard of this and am curious on your thoughts on its performance with this loupe? I have no idea what to look for in this regard and can find very little resources online.

IMG_5560.jpeg

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like this is primarily for assessing colored stones?

What is a dark field loupe?

A darkfield loupe allows a gemstone to be observed against a dark background with lateral illumination, allowing for easier study and identification of coloured gemstone inclusions and fracture filling. Allows the examination of a gemstone against a dark background. Highlights flaws and colours more easily.

caitlyncv

Rough_Rock
Sounds like this is primarily for assessing colored stones?

What is a dark field loupe?

A darkfield loupe allows a gemstone to be observed against a dark background with lateral illumination, allowing for easier study and identification of coloured gemstone inclusions and fracture filling. Allows the examination of a gemstone against a dark background. Highlights flaws and colours more easily.

So weird that they would provide that then! Thank you!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its one of the images that automated photo setups can take.
It can replace or be additional to the plot on the report.
Not everyone takes them or releases them at the consumer level.

Last edited:

caitlyncv

Rough_Rock
Are they any potential issues before we fully commit?

Price all in with taxes and a simple platinum solitaire setting is ~58k.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
So we saw the diamond in person and WOW.
That's your answer.
Price wise you have done your homework so if you consider it a fair price your good to go.

caitlyncv

Rough_Rock
That's your answer.
Price wise you have done your homework so if you consider it a fair price your good to go.

Thank you! Looks like I found the one!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results