shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you specifically go to Costco for?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Ok, I live in the dark ages and probably am the only person in the universe, until today, to have never shopped at Costco. My son convinced me to get a membership, because it was the only place we could get this sour candy he wanted.
9.gif

Anyway, we ventured out and while I did not find everything I had hoped to (like these outdoor solar lights my neighbour has that are sweet), I did find a few things that were a good deal.

Thing is, I shop at the same few places over and over and am brand loyal. So while I traversed the aisles at Costco, I saw hundreds of products, but didn''t recognize many. So I didn''t buy much.

So I guess what I want to know about items that people love that are sold at Costco. I mean I hate to buy a kilo bag of hot wings for 20 bucks, only to find out they are barfy.

What are the best deals, and what products do you like most?

cheers--Sharon

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Costco

Here''s what I typically buy:

Kirkland trash bags
12 pack of Bounty paper towels
Vanity Fair Napkins
Plastic cups
Paper cups for the bathrooms
Cascade
Palmolive dishwashing soap
Toothpaste
Batteries
Filet Roasts

And roses, usually pink.

I am loyal to many brands too. And those huge jars of mayonnaise really gross me out. I skip that aisle!!!
3.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2007 5:39:40 PM
Author:canuk-gal

Thing is, I shop at the same few places over and over and am brand loyal. So while I traversed the aisles at Costco, I saw hundreds of products, but didn't recognize many. So I didn't buy much.

Sharon, see, what will happen is that eventually you will succumb (just like the rest of us Costco addicts have) and will buy the product you are looking for in whatever brand they happen to have it in. Seriously. I'm not kidding.

But to answer your question, we get:

Lean Cuisines (whatever flavors they happen to have in the four pack--no more pickiness about which ones!)

Yogurt (I used to ONLY eat Youplait, now I eat Dannon *because that's what they have*)

Pudding (I used to ONLY eat the all chocolate cups or chocolate mint, but now I eat the chocolate/vanilla mix too *because that's what they have*)

Bags of mixed candy (for my office--except sometimes a few of the peanut butter cups end up really being for ME)

Pretzels (whatever brand they have is what my office eats)

Animal crackers (whatever brand they have is what my office eats -- right now they're enjoy their third tub of organic Disney animal crackers -- Winnie the Poo anyone?)

Hummus (comes in a bigger tub that you ever think you need, but somehow you manage to eat it all... )

Clementines (hell, they're only 40 calories a piece--eat up!)

Steaks and fish (great for having LOTS of people over)

Beer (no explanation needed, LOL)

Cheese (big blocks of chedder and wedges of parmessean)

Soda (although I am a Diet Dr. Pepper fiend and they don't have it so I do make the HH get me that somewhere else)

Bottled water (you might *think* you only want Dasani but the Kirkland brand grows on you after a while... )

Nuts (but those are so addictive -- do you REALLY want 5 lbs of cashews in easy reach?)

Workout clothes (if only they had a dressing room so you didn't have to buy things in multiple sizes and then return the ones that don't fit)

Books and CDs (especially around the holidays as gifts)

Dog food, dog toys, dog treats, dog beds (hmmm... I'm starting to see a pattern here... )

Toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, paper plates, plastic silverware, batteries -- ALL the basic things in bulk

Oh dear god I could go on and on (as if I haven't already!). I'm sure as soon as I submit this post I'll think of about a thousand more things.

One thing NOT to buy is the sushie platter. Just trust me on this.

ETA: And although these are not frequently purchased items, we also have gotten tires, an LCD tv (which was then exchanged for a flat screen TV
20.gif
), printer/fax/copier combo, computer, paper shreader.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
I feel like I''ve gained 10lbs just reading this thread. I better go lurk on WWT.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Oh how I miss Costco. I''m stuck with Sam''s Club, and it just isn''t the same
7.gif
. Here is the return policy from Costco''s website:

Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund.

Doesn''t mention anything about food not being returnable. I know it sounds kind of odd or tacky, but if you really want to try a food item that is only sold in massive quantities common to warehouse stores, maybe you could indulge and then return it if it isn''t that great? I did it before with a case of mangos that were really fibrous and they gave me a refund. No real hassle, just the usual apathy from the lady at the service desk
3.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2007 5:54:42 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I love Costco

Here''s what I typically buy:

Kirkland trash bags
12 pack of Bounty paper towels
Vanity Fair Napkins
Plastic cups
Paper cups for the bathrooms
Cascade
Palmolive dishwashing soap
Toothpaste
Batteries
Filet Roasts

And roses, usually pink.

I am loyal to many brands too. And those huge jars of mayonnaise really gross me out. I skip that aisle!!!
3.gif
HI Lisa:

You buy the products that I bought today. Packeged dry goods that are generally cheaper than if purchased at Safeway. Except for the Neutrogena sunscreen--same price as Superstore!

And folks had BUNCHES of flowers--soemhow I missed that isle.

chers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2007 6:01:54 PM
Author: Dee*Jay

Date: 6/27/2007 5:39:40 PM
Author:canuk-gal

Thing is, I shop at the same few places over and over and am brand loyal. So while I traversed the aisles at Costco, I saw hundreds of products, but didn''t recognize many. So I didn''t buy much.

Sharon, see, what will happen is that eventually you will succumb (just like the rest of us Costco addicts have) and will buy the product you are looking for in whatever brand they happen to have it in. Seriously. I''m not kidding.

But to answer your question, we get:

Lean Cuisines (whatever flavors they happen to have in the four pack--no more pickiness about which ones!)

Yogurt (I used to ONLY eat Youplait, now I eat Dannon *because that''s what they have*)

Pudding (I used to ONLY eat the all chocolate cups or chocolate mint, but now I eat the chocolate/vanilla mix too *because that''s what they have*)

Bags of mixed candy (for my office--except sometimes a few of the peanut butter cups end up really being for ME)

Pretzels (whatever brand they have is what my office eats)

Animal crackers (whatever brand they have is what my office eats -- right now they''re enjoy their third tub of organic Disney animal crackers -- Winnie the Poo anyone?)

Hummus (comes in a bigger tub that you ever think you need, but somehow you manage to eat it all... )

Clementines (hell, they''re only 40 calories a piece--eat up!)

Steaks and fish (great for having LOTS of people over)

Beer (no explanation needed, LOL)

Cheese (big blocks of chedder and wedges of parmessean)

Soda (although I am a Diet Dr. Pepper fiend and they don''t have it so I do make the HH get me that somewhere else)

Bottled water (you might *think* you only want Dasani but the Kirkland brand grows on you after a while... )

Nuts (but those are so addictive -- do you REALLY want 5 lbs of cashews in easy reach?)

Workout clothes (if only they had a dressing room so you didn''t have to buy things in multiple sizes and then return the ones that don''t fit)

Books and CDs (especially around the holidays as gifts)

Dog food, dog toys, dog treats, dog beds (hmmm... I''m starting to see a pattern here... )

Toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, paper plates, plastic silverware, batteries -- ALL the basic things in bulk

Oh dear god I could go on and on (as if I haven''t already!). I''m sure as soon as I submit this post I''ll think of about a thousand more things.

One thing NOT to buy is the sushie platter. Just trust me on this.

ETA: And although these are not frequently purchased items, we also have gotten tires, an LCD tv (which was then exchanged for a flat screen TV
20.gif
), printer/fax/copier combo, computer, paper shreader.
HI DeeJay:

I appreciate the tips! Especially about the sushi platter.....my sister also buys her meat at Costco and come to think of it, mostly all of her groceries.......so is Kirkland their "brand"?

It was VERY busy. Is it always like this? LONG line ups......

I also laughed to see the jewellery counter placed front and center--very close to electronics (men go to see the TV''s while women buy jewellery--excellent marketing!!)

And do any of you shop at the Costco liquor store? Good deals or the same old....

cheers--Sharon

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharon, it pretty much is always busy, but there are different degrees to the insanity. For instance we went there once at 4:00 on a Christmas Eve. I don''t recall exactly what we went FOR but it was one of those non-necessary "hey, since we''re right here why don''t we stop in Costco and get XXX" things. MISTAKE.

We don''t get wine there because there is a really wonderful mega liquor store with an amazing selection and very knowledgeable employees very close to us, but otherwise I''m sure we would get our wine there too.

One other thing we don''t get there, only becuase there are just two of is, is produce (except for the clementines). The quantities are so huge that we would end up throwing some of it away before we could ever get around to eating it. But if you had a family it would be a good option.

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
I have a costco shopping list in my treo (I know, lame!), to remind me of the infrequently purchased items as well as the frequent ones :) And I always succumb and buy other things not on the list that I just CAN''T live without (that new tennis racquet, new pair of levi''s, nuts, candy, ribs, meats, etc)! I couldn''t live without them...and it took awhile to ''allow'' myself to buy what I now buy from them...

frozen individually wrapped chicken breasts
lean cuisines (spa only)
fruit rollups
laundry detergent
fruity water
vitamins
fruit cups
applesauce
Mac n cheese
potstickers
toilet paper
leaf bags
dishwasher liq/tablets
toilet bleach tablets
bounce
floss
saline solution
trash bags
beef jerky

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2007 7:44:02 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Sharon, it pretty much is always busy, but there are different degrees to the insanity. For instance we went there once at 4:00 on a Christmas Eve. I don''t recall exactly what we went FOR but it was one of those non-necessary ''hey, since we''re right here why don''t we stop in Costco and get XXX'' things. MISTAKE.

We don''t get wine there because there is a really wonderful mega liquor store with
HI DJ:

Your posts are halir. Thanks
37.gif
!

Today was the last day of school, and Mom''s were shopping without their kids
3.gif
, so it was a zoo. But I got my kilo of regianno parmeasan so I am happy
1.gif

I looked for diamond stacking rings--but to no avail....maybe at my own jewellers on Sat., as their summer sale is on
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
They have new "snack packs" of nuts. It helps a bit with portion control, plus it''s portable protein. They come in a "vend pack" so I just keep them on the top of the fridge and pull one to throw in my purse.

Also buy:

all papergoods
cat food
bottled water
yogurt - Activia and Stoneybrook farm
Sharon''s Sorbet (cheaper than Trader Joe''s!)
Pork loin - comes in double packs and is easy to freeze
sharp cheddar cheese in "snack packs"
granola bars - Nature Valley''s new "fruit and nut" are AMAZING
milk - cheap, but I HATE the shape of the jugs. I always spill it.
books and dvds

Also, the birthday cakes ROCK.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Standard list is:
Two loaves of bread
Block of Tillamook cheese
Water bottles
Paper towels
1 bag of chicken tenders
1 bag of boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 bag of tyson breaded chicken tenders
Ground beef
Bananas
Shredded cheese
Go Gurts
Mission tortilla chips
Cottage cheese
Milk and milk and milk and milk!!!!
String cheese sometimes
Canned pineapple
Applesauce
And every time I go I sit and drool over the cakes. I could eat one entire cake myself! They are pretty yummy!

I think that''s about it. I go about every 10 days.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly they will let you return those wings. Just call them before you go in, tell them they are nasty, and they will tell you to come right in.

Paperproducts, cleaning and laundry supplies, trashbags, fruit, meat, veggies (some)... one thing I sampled that day...lol.

I also use thier pharmacy, they have the best deals on medicine cabinet basics. Flowers. Small appliances. Orchids. Luggage.

Anything I can get there cheaper than anywhere else. Wine and alcohol.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2007 11:08:11 PM
Author: sumbride
They have new ''snack packs'' of nuts. It helps a bit with portion control, plus it''s portable protein. They come in a ''vend pack'' so I just keep them on the top of the fridge and pull one to throw in my purse.

Also buy:

all papergoods
cat food
bottled water
yogurt - Activia and Stoneybrook farm
Sharon''s Sorbet (cheaper than Trader Joe''s!)
Pork loin - comes in double packs and is easy to freeze
sharp cheddar cheese in ''snack packs''
granola bars - Nature Valley''s new ''fruit and nut'' are AMAZING
milk - cheap, but I HATE the shape of the jugs. I always spill it.
books and dvds

Also, the birthday cakes ROCK.
HI:

I should have stopped and looke more carefully at the nut products--we eat a lot of them around here. Next time I''ll without my son--and I''ll have more time
2.gif
....and I like that those things are portioned.

cheers--Sharon

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Costco can be a great deal for certain items!!

whole roaster chickens
chicken breasts
ground beef or steaks
goat cheese
brie
bread
garbage bags for yard and kitchen
paper towels
toilet paper
laundry detergent
cereal (love me my Special K red berries!)
butter
shredded cheese

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Now I am sorry I skipped the bakery and liquor store! What about vitamins, Omega oils and over the counter pharmacy items? I find these outrageous expensive at my regular shopping haunts....

cheers--Sharon

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/28/2007 1:53:32 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Now I am sorry I skipped the bakery and liquor store! What about vitamins, Omega oils and over the counter pharmacy items? I find these outrageous expensive at my regular shopping haunts....

cheers--Sharon

Oh I completely forgot about the vitamins and things. And alergy pills. And shampoo. And...

Yep, the "pharmacy" area is a frequent stop for us too!

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Diapers (Kirkland)
Baby wipes
Alcohol
Morey''s frozen marinated wild Alaskan salmon
Pizza
Salt for water softener
Eye exams

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
My husband and I *love* Costco. Our friends make fun of us cuz they say we must be invested in the company, the way we rave about it. We're always trying to convince our Sam's Club shopping friends to make the switch.

We pretty much buy everything we can there. Most of the previous posters listed the basics (i.e., paper goods, bottled water, laundry and dish detergents, trash bags, cereal, pharmacy items such as saline solution, vitamins, sunblock, shampoo & conditioner)... The list goes on and on.

Some of the other things that we like buying there are the Kirkland baby wipes (since we have a non-potty-trained 2.5 year old and an 8-week-old infant, we go through those pretty fast), organic snacks for our toddler (FruitBU, like a fruit roll-up), the individually-packaged Horizon chocolate organic milks (like the ones you can buy at Starbucks or Whole Foods), Vitamin Water, organic eggs, they have these great uncooked tortillas, avocados (always super fresh), and fuji apples.

My husband also swears by the lawn products. He says that stuff like Amdro (for ants) is at least 3x cheaper than Home Depot or Lowes.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kirkland toilet paper!!

Honestly, that's the only thing that we say "gotta go to CostCo!" for. We're only shopping for two (and in a 1-bedroom condo with limited storage space!), so bulk-buying doesn't often suit us. That's not to say we don't get sucked in to it once we're there... "Just for toilet paper"
31.gif
11.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Sharon, everything everyone else said plus some yummy crackers!! Also, add some aged white cheddar, yummy steaks, salmon to die for and just about everything else under the sun!

My name is Heather, and I am a Costco addict!!
3.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I buy:

toilet papers
paper towels
paper plates
plastic utensils
bottled water
rotisseire chicken
pistachios
pineapple
apple cider
gums
toothpaste (not anymore because they don''t carry rembrandt anymore)
lotions (those double pack)
detergent
Windex

That''s all I can think of right now. Besides the usual trips, we also go there to get food for parties too. =)

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I love Costco. Also, they let you return just about anything.

Here's my list:

eggs
soy milk
pot stickers
rotisserie chicken (What a great deal! But it's really hard to finish with just two people.)
chicken breasts
cheese
riceworks brown rice crisps (yum!)
toilet paper
paper towels
dove shampoo, conditioner, and soap

DeeJay, your Costco doesn't have Yoplait yogurt? The ones I've been to always has that.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
We buy all of our paper products (toilet, towels, plates, etc.) wine, pre-mixed Margaritas, soaps (dishwashing and laundry), mouthwash, toothbrushes, trash bags, clothes, books, whatever catches our eye (oh, and DH''s computer).

Because it''s just the two of us we do the majority of our food shopping at our local grocery store (DH won''t eat leftovers) but it''s great for storable items.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
So far just alcohol and paper products. BUT it should be mentioned that we don''t have one here and last time I went I was in college. So plastic cups and alcohol were where it was at.

I imagine my shopping list will be quite different this fall when we finally get a costco here in Madison!

twigski

Rough_Rock
I have membership to both costco & sam''s (got free membership through my sis
31.gif
). I shop more at costco though
I go to Sam''s mostly for gas & prescription meds. A few of items I''ve purchased recently are SO''s playstation III system & games and frozen Tilapia.

At Costco I usually buy:
Kirkland (costco brand) paper towel, toilet paper, trashbags
bottled water
cleaning supplies
toothpaste
meat
ling ling potstickers
vitamins
fresh fruit (they have a good selection of seasonal fruit)
mixed packaged salads
granola bars
orange juice
cup noodles
beef jerkey
seasoning/spices/sauces
mango salsa (just got some today. it''s so yummy!!!)
books
SO like to buy cd''s & dvd''s
edamamae
lobster bisque soup
fresh cut flowers
In a few month''s SO & I are planning on purchasing our flat screen tv from there ( we need 3)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/28/2007 10:16:13 PM
Author: snlee

Here's my list:

eggs

soy milk

pot stickers

rotisserie chicken (What a great deal! But it's really hard to finish with just two people.)

chicken breasts

cheese

toilet paper

paper towels

DeeJay, your Costco doesn't have Yoplait yogurt? The ones I've been to always has that.

They used to (which is what got me going on the yogurt kick in the first place) but now all they have is Dannon.

Oh, and I forgot about the Costco gas station. Now if we're low on gas the HH will only put in enough to get him to Costco to fill up cheaper.
20.gif

BTW here's at tip for anyone with a counter depth refrigerater: The big round pizzas that are pre made but you bake in the oven don't fit! We have a Sub Zero and got a pizza for a party one time. We had to cut it in half and put the halves on different shelves because the pizza is so damn big!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/28/2007 10:16:13 PM
Author: snlee

Here''s my list:

eggs
soy milk
pot stickers
rotisserie chicken (What a great deal! But it''s really hard to finish with just two people.)
chicken breasts
cheese
toilet paper
paper towels

DeeJay, your Costco doesn''t have Yoplait yogurt? The ones I''ve been to always has that.
HI:

Thanks for the tip on this brand of crackers! See, I walked right by them........................but now I know!!!!!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/28/2007 4:03:44 PM
Author: cutey TT
My husband and I *love* Costco. Our friends make fun of us cuz they say we must be invested in the company, the way we rave about it. We''re always trying to convince our Sam''s Club shopping friends to make the switch.

We pretty much buy everything we can there. Most of the previous posters listed the basics (i.e., paper goods, bottled water, laundry and dish detergents, trash bags, cereal, pharmacy items such as saline solution, vitamins, sunblock, shampoo & conditioner)... The list goes on and on.

Some of the other things that we like buying there are the Kirkland baby wipes (since we have a non-potty-trained 2.5 year old and an 8-week-old infant, we go through those pretty fast), organic snacks for our toddler (FruitBU, like a fruit roll-up), the individually-packaged Horizon chocolate organic milks (like the ones you can buy at Starbucks or Whole Foods), Vitamin Water, organic eggs, they have these great uncooked tortillas, avocados (always super fresh), and fuji apples.

My husband also swears by the lawn products. He says that stuff like Amdro (for ants) is at least 3x cheaper than Home Depot or Lowes.
HI:

I thought the Armorall was quite cheap--but was a little disappointed there were no weed eaters and these specific outdoor lights. But hey, ya snooze ya loose, since they only get so many of "one of" things, and when they are gone.......

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/28/2007 9:13:03 PM
Author: hlmr
Sharon, everything everyone else said plus some yummy crackers!! Also, add some aged white cheddar, yummy steaks, salmon to die for and just about everything else under the sun!

My name is Heather, and I am a Costco addict!!
3.gif
HI:

Heehheee Heather--that additicion seems common here! I saw they carried that aged Balderson''s cheese--it is $$$ in Safeway. I got parmesean in a huge peice, but the price paled by comparison for the ususal skinny wedge I get for big bucks!

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results