shape
carat
color
clarity

what do you guys think of this ring for $8000

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dschmid

Rough_Rock
-platinum band plus micro pave set diamonds on the sides
-center diamond weighing 0.68cts F-G color, SI1 clarity
-2 matching Chriscut diamonds weighing a total of 0.62cts
-$8000.00

im a noob to buying rings, if any have suggestions for around 7-9k it would be much appreciated! I dont have any real guidelines from my girlfriend other than something unique and different. I would be tempted to go ultra antique or ultra modern!?? Thanks!

CD#1.JPG

dschmid

Rough_Rock
pic #2

2990-3.JPG

dschmid

Rough_Rock
pic #1

2990-2.JPG

dschmid

Rough_Rock
pic #3

2990-1.JPG

dschmid

Rough_Rock
just asked the jeweler and says the two side stones are I color and VS clarity with a ct wt of .62 total

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Don''t know that much about criss cut diamonds, but a ring with a .62 round diamond and side stones of .62 sounds like a high price at 8,000. What type of ring do you think your girlfriend wants?

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
dschmid--Very pretty ring. If you feel the price is too high it may be due to the Christopher Designs designer cut and label--as designer labels can carry a premium. Are you, or your girlfriend, drawn specifically to the Criss-Cut? If not, then there are some real experts on this forum that can help you get more for your $$ for a emerald cut diamond. Just a thought. I know it can be overwhelming so please let the nice folks from this forum help you. There is great advice to be found here. Good luck!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2007 9:59:45 AM
Author: dianne
dschmid--Very pretty ring. If you feel the price is too high it may be due to the Christopher Designs designer cut and label--as designer labels can carry a premium. Are you, or your girlfriend, drawn specifically to the Criss-Cut? If not, then there are some real experts on this forum that can help you get more for your $$ for a emerald cut diamond. Just a thought. I know it can be overwhelming so please let the nice folks from this forum help you. There is great advice to be found here. Good luck!
I agree - you will be paying for the name. You can find something a LOT more unique and with great diamonds for much less. And PSers have tons of advice; just check out the various forums and you will have a very thorough education about damonds, and value for your dollars spent. Enjoy the process!

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
If it were me and my boyfriend was spending that much, I''d want a center stone of at least a carat. Seems a lot for a smaller stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Crisscut is indeed a branded diamond, so you will usually pay more, and as such it is very difficult to advise on price or what consitutes a good crisscut cut etc, I don't know if any of our experts are that familiar with them. So it boils down to whether you and your GF love the ring and if you feel it is a good representation of your relationship for your e-ring. Also have you considered a classic emerald cut? These are a bit easier to judge, also along with cut analysis technologies available. Also if you want to shoot for the ring you mentioned, as the diamonds are SI1 clarity, check very carefully that the diamonds are eyeclean, as it seems the crisscut have a very open type of faceting pattern and may show inclusions more readily than some other shapes.

As you said your GF wants something unique and different, could you do a little more probing to find out what she means by this? Also some like to use a vendor who has a trade up policy, this may be well worth consideration if in time she may want to upgrade, does the crisscut vendor offer this?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2007 10:08:40 AM
Author: MaryAlaina
If it were me and my boyfriend was spending that much, I''d want a center stone of at least a carat. Seems a lot for a smaller stone.
I kinda agree - for that much money, I''d rather have a larger center stone. I''m also not a big fan of the look of that ring.

I''d do a little more research into what exactly she''d like, besides ''unique and different''. Do you know she wants a step cut stone? It is a completely different look than a brilliant cut stone''s sparkle. Beautiful, but not for everyone. These are things you''d definitely want to know before choosing something.

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the others. Unless your girlfriend is dead set on having a chris-cut diamond, I would buy a much bigger center stone for the same price from one of the PS recommended online vendors. If you want the same ring made with emerald cuts, a vendor like whiteflash could recreate that for you and I''m sure you could get more for your buck.

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
Although it is a pretty ring, I''d spend $7-9K differently......Definately a larger center stone for starters. If the branded cut isn''t important to you or your fiance, then keep looking for sure. I''d throw out some ideas/suggestions if I had a little more to go on----like what shape of center stone do you both like?
1.gif

dschmid

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the great responses guys! I agree, she is not dead set on the criss-cut diamond and looking through things here on the site i could get much more bang for my buck elsewhere. I think she would really love a unique diamond and setting something like the pictures next to MaryAlainam, dianne, and FireGoddess'' names here in this thread, but im sure those rings were well above 9K? Those are all very unique rings, and looking at blue nile,etc. Any suggestions on where to look, etc. for something along those lines? thanks

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''d be surprised at the cost of some of those rings.

And you''d be SHOCKED at what we can come up for you at 9K. Especially if you are looking at EC''s, or Ovals, or Pears. Oh yeah... we could do quite a bit.

Just let us know if you want a demonstration, and we''d be happy to oblige!

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2007 9:46:11 PM
Author: dschmid
Thanks for all the great responses guys! I agree, she is not dead set on the criss-cut diamond and looking through things here on the site i could get much more bang for my buck elsewhere. I think she would really love a unique diamond and setting something like the pictures next to MaryAlainam, dianne, and FireGoddess'' names here in this thread, but im sure those rings were well above 9K? Those are all very unique rings, and looking at blue nile,etc. Any suggestions on where to look, etc. for something along those lines? thanks
FireGoddess has the pear with halo, right? Gorgeous. HERE is one like it.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another vote against the Criss Cut ring. You can definitely get more bang for your buck! Give us some ideas of what you want and I know we can come through with many suggestions! For example, here''s a gorgeous center stone possibility that would still leave you $2000 for a great custom or stock setting:

http://whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-395301.htm

It''s a super duper ideal cut 1.25 carat hearts and arrows diamond from Whiteflash for $7025. (Plus Whiteflash offers a discount for wire transfer and Pricescope members.) If you want a fancy cut diamond (pear, radiant, etc.), you may be able to get an even larger stone for the same amount of money.

I think you''ll definitely get someting great with your budget if you stick around here and learn more about good diamonds, vendors and settings! If you can, you should also try to do some more digging and find out what your girlfriend likes a little more specifically so you can narrow it down!

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Hate to be a sheep, but I''m in agreement with the others.

Two things to keep in mind, whether you are looking at the Crisscut or another step cut:
1) inclusions are much more noticeable on step cuts than brilliants, so you want to be extra careful about clarity, and
2) consider the color of the sidestones compared to the center. An I next to an F would be noticeable to me.

I also agree that for $8k, I would rather have a bigger center stone in a non-branded center. For reference, I got a 1ct ES stone from WF with a Ritani pave setting for about that. I would consider a simple setting, maybe with side tapered baguettes if you want an EC center, then I would go as big as budget allows on the center.

dschmid

Rough_Rock
first of all you guys are unbelievably helpful thank you very much. Im going to pin her down more. I am really looking at that pear ring, and it is so affordable, only $990 for the setting! If it says suggested 1 ct center stone could I put a bigger one in? If i were to buy the stone from an online dealer and the setting from another dealer how and where would i get the stone placed in the setting? Any suggestions on pear diamonds? Thank you all so much for helping a completely helpless guy w/such a big purchase!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just a one example:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3432/ 6,330 Bank wire price 5.6 x 6.4. Great looking cushion. Leaves you 2670 for setting:
Here are some setting choices:

http://engagementringsdirect.com/markcollection/index.html and look at the Bari setting. I would think that Mark could work with you to bring that in at budget or just over budget for you.

These could probably be ordered to fit that cushion:

http://www.firenzejewels.com/diamonds/info/18-Engagement%20Rings-19-3400-000-Lady-s-.70ct-diamond-and-18k-two-tone-gold-engagement-ring-setting-000-.html

http://www.firenzejewels.com/diamonds/info/18-Engagement%20Rings-7-3418-000-Lady-s-.68ct-diamond-and-18k-white-gold-engagement-ring-setting-000-.html

http://www.firenzejewels.com/store/views.cfm?product_id=3356&view=3&product_number=3196

Go to this site:

And that's for a high color diamond. If we went down to a G VS2 in a pear or oval for you. We could knock a carat stone out for you under that 6,300 taq, most likely. And you'd get a bigger stone because of the way those stones are cut, their mm size at 1 carat is larger than a 1 carat cushion.

For a one carat oval:

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=201&rn=967&action=show_detail

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=201&rn=1060&action=show_detail

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Oof! There''s a LOT of stuff going on in that ring design. Crazy Criss Cut diamonds, those rows of stones flanking the side of the band...It''s a lot for the eye to take in at one time, you know? I agree with others on the Criss Cut stones. Personally I find them too busy. If I want glittery scintillation, I''ll take a round, cushion, etc. If I want a stepped cut I want the calmness of an EC or asscher. This is just too frenetic I think. With all the asymetrical lines zigging and zagging...The band isn''t really very feminine in its design either. Have you taken your intended shopping yet? I always think its a good idea to go window shopping with her to see what stone shapes/settings she loves. And she might think she loves a certain shape or setting but in real life find it doesn''t look good on her finger. Shopping, it''s a good thing! Good luck!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2007 10:21:51 PM
Author: dschmid
first of all you guys are unbelievably helpful thank you very much. Im going to pin her down more. I am really looking at that pear ring, and it is so affordable, only $990 for the setting! If it says suggested 1 ct center stone could I put a bigger one in? If i were to buy the stone from an online dealer and the setting from another dealer how and where would i get the stone placed in the setting? Any suggestions on pear diamonds? Thank you all so much for helping a completely helpless guy w/such a big purchase!

That is a great price and a great setting. Plus it''s fairly similar to Firegoddess'' ring, which I absolutely love and would wear in a heartbeat! Here are a few pears I found at Whiteflash.com. Keep in mind that fancy cuts kind of have to be seen to judge so your best bet would be to get Whiteflash or another vendor to call in a pear for you and take pictures of it and send them to you. Buying from a website like Bluenile.com that doesn''t do pictures wouldn''t really work that well for a pear or another fancy shape, in my opinion.

Plus there are many variables in how pears look-long and skinnier vs. short and squatty, etc. Different people prefer different lenth to width ratios. I really like Firegoddess'' pear which to me is the perfect pear shape. I don''t know what the L:W ratio is, though-I''m sure she could chime in.

http://whiteflash.com/pear/Pear-cut-diamond-374902.htm (1 carat D SI1 for $4695)

http://whiteflash.com/pear/Pear-cut-diamond-348704.htm (1.04 carat G SI1 for $4133)

http://whiteflash.com/pear/Pear-cut-diamond-220164.htm (1.52 G SI2 for $6797)

http://whiteflash.com/pear/Pear-cut-diamond-378617.htm (1.21 E VS1 for $6867)

All these are "virtual" stones which means they are on a database from wholesale diamond dealers, so Whiteflash will have to call them in and some may or may not be available, etc. You''ll also have to make sure the diamonds are eyeclean. Plus I''m sure WF can find even more than what pops up on their website. My e-ring center stone wasn''t on any of the databases. Hope this helps!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, I'm betting the Quest or WF can make you a setting similar to FG's in PLATINUM as long as you stayed under 6K for the diamond. Which for a G color pear, VS2 or SI1 is totally do able.

I would email her a LOT of different rings. Two with an Emerald cut-- a three stone with baguettes and one set east west, one with a cushion, with a halo, and one with a cushion in a ritani setting like Neatfreaks, one with an oval with a halo, one with an oval three stone one with a pear with a halo (FG's) and a couple of different round rings: a three stone with rounds, a halo, and a three stone with baguettes and a couple of really nice solitares.

We can link you to all of these and you can put all of them into an email to her, number them 1 - 10 or whatever and ask her which ones she likes best... or what elements of what rings she likes.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
take the girl shopping! have her try on lots of different types of rings so that you have a more definite foundation other than "something unique"! i think 100% of girls on here will testify that they like the look of a lot of rings, but don't feel that they suit their hand very well. pictures won't work! she needs to see them in person. most stores in the mall have a very limited selection when it comes to "unique" (especially if you are looking at different cuts like asscher or emerald), so make sure you venture to a store with a lot of variety.

even if you just get the basics like she likes or dislikes stepcuts, likes a halo, split shank, bezel setting, whatever(!), you will be doing both of yourselves a HUGE favor. you will still have creative license in picking out/designing the ring,and she will most likely feel confident that she is going to love what you pick out (which is every girl's secret nightmare - hating their e-ring!)

on another note, i personally like the crisscut, but would definitely opt for a bigger center stone and cut out the sidestones....and probably pair it with a more feminine setting. but everyone else is right - you can definitely get more for your money buying a nonbranded diamond. unfortunately there are no well cut generic options for that particular cut....

have you considered an asscher? I think of all the cuts that are readily available they tend to make the most unique and/interesting rings, and can be made to look both very modern or very antique. my friend's ering has an asscher center stone that is set so that the corners point north/south/east/west and has pear sidestones and it is absolutely gorgeous and totally unique. good luck!
35.gif

dschmid

Rough_Rock
SO having a brief conversation and looking at some rings online it seems like she would like . . .
- a more antique looking ring with an art deco or 1920s flare, ie with designed engravings with or without micropave diamonds down the sides of the ring
- she would rather a round/cushion look rather than pear, marquise, or emerald (good thing i posted here and decided to ask her a few more ?s, I think she was a little disappointed that she now knows it will be less of a surprise but at least it wont be a surprise that she doesn''t like!)
- so looking back at some old posts there are some great taconi vintage looking settings for round diamonds. I am also intrigued by the knox ring for $2890 that Gypsy posted

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=201&rn=1060&action=show_detail

im just a bit worried that the cost of the setting may really cut into my diamond budget?

any other suggestions based on the above info!? Thanks!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
How about an engraved solitaire setting from Tacori for example:
tacori solitaire

Hera

Ideal_Rock
or this one:
I like this one better actually

I always think a good idea is spending the most on the center diamond and putting it into a solitaire. When you get married, the wedding ring can have the diamonds

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG! I''ve got the perfect ring for you.

Vatche Antique Setting and a Round Brilliant. LOOK at this thread!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-vatche-antique-ring.53611/]

Oh MAN is this perfect for your budget!

Ready?

That Vatche setting you can see here www.dvatche.com is just under or at $2,500 in PLATINUM.

AND you can get a STUNNING 1 carat G or H VS2-si1 for around 6500!!! I KNOW you can.

AND you can get it all from Good Old Gold, which carries Vatche and these two diamonds:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3002/ $5840 wire price OR http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/br1038gsi1/ $6,156 wire price

OR... I would get that STUNNING Good Old Gold Cushion I posted earlier and a Tacori setting from them! They also carry tacori, as long as you don''t go insane with a tacori setting you should be able to stay at around 2700 in platinum, or under 2000 in 18K. Vatche and Tacori will make the setting to fit your stone.. so either vendor would be willing to set a cushion into a setting as long as the setting can be modified to fit it.

Here''s a tacori that might work: http://www.goodoldgold.com/setting/BA4190/

And frankly, IMO, both the tacori settings and the Vatche setting are better quality than the knox settings.

GOG also carries Sheldon Speyer who is well priced and let me tell you that cushion (or those rounds) would look AMAZING in this setting: http://www.goodoldgold.com/setting/SS-989/

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do love JayRenay''s setting Gypsy, that is a good call. Is that what you tried to link to at the Vatche site? Cuz your link doesn''t go to a particular setting, just their main page.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a lot of trouble linking to the actual setting on the site... so I just posted the general home page, it's a pretty user freindly site so I didn't think it would be a problem. It's under Collections/ Fashion. There are a few antique Art Deco settings they have there actually so take a look and see which ones appeal most. This link will be more helpful!

http://www.dvatche.com/fashion.html

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results