shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you guys think about this ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

crash440

Rough_Rock
I''m in the very early stages of buying an engagement ring and still have tons to learn. I really like heart shaped diamonds, and I know my girlfriend does as well. I''m somewhat worried about buying one just because I wonder if this will still be what she would prefer 20 years from now. Before I make a decision I will be looking at them in person and going from there. But anyways, here is a ring I made from Bluenile that I really like. Just curious as to what you guys think about it. Thanks for any opinions.

I know that It''s all about what my girlfriend and I like and no one else''s opinion should matter. But seeing as how I am a complete newbie when it comes to this, some advice/opinions from an expert or more experienced would be nice. I am learning alot every day but still have a ways to go... but thanks again.

DM02400200_HS_100_200zoom.jpg

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Make sure who you purchase from has a great lifetime trade up policy.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
In the interest of the "honesty" thread that was recently started, let me say that I do not like heart shaped diamonds. Even if you know the person likes them now, I think you make a really good point that it might be a shape that someone "grows out of." So, if I were you I would only by a heart-shaped diamond from a vendor that has a good upgrade policy.

That being said, the setting you posted is very nice.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
well, my experience is different from most, but i consider settings disposable. As a chemist, sewer, and compulsive jewelry cleaner, i wouldn't buy a setting that would last what i put them through. so.... my advice is concentrate on a spectacular diamond, and consider that the setting might be changed out say.. oh, every ten years or so.

rings go out of style. rings get banged up. rings look bad or dated. rings get too small with age and pregnancy. tastes change with maturity.

that said, there is an amazing 2 carat heart in the "sams" on fry road in houston texas....
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like heart shaped diamonds, but not for an engagement ring. I see that your girlfriend also likes heart shaped diamonds...but does she really want to wear one as her engagement ring, as opposed to say, a pendant or something? They are not the best shape in terms of light return. However, if you''re sure that''s what she really wants, then go for it.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are going to buy a heart shaped stone, I would consider buying from jamesallen or goodoldgold.com because as others have stated tastes change over time and it''s nice to buy from a company that will let you upgrade later on. As far as that particular ring goes, the setting is lovely but you really need to see images of the actual stone to know with fancy shapes are well-cut.

This is just my personal opinion, but I think heart shapes are best suited for pendants. Engagement rings should be something that won''t go out of style or a person won''t mature out of over time.

rgc6789

Rough_Rock
As others have stated, I'm not that excited by heart shaped - especially colorless hearts (some fancy color hearts are interesting). I have found through the years that heart shaped are traded in more often than other shapes - and traded in earlier.

That said, if she loves the heart shape - go for it.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 6:48:55 PM
Author:crash440
I''m in the very early stages of buying an engagement ring and still have tons to learn. I really like heart shaped diamonds, and I know my girlfriend does as well. I''m somewhat worried about buying one just because I wonder if this will still be what she would prefer 20 years from now. Before I make a decision I will be looking at them in person and going from there. But anyways, here is a ring I made from Bluenile that I really like. Just curious as to what you guys think about it. Thanks for any opinions.

I know that It''s all about what my girlfriend and I like and no one else''s opinion should matter. But seeing as how I am a complete newbie when it comes to this, some advice/opinions from an expert or more experienced would be nice. I am learning alot every day but still have a ways to go... but thanks again.
you''ll find the vast majority of women don''t want a heart e-ring, but there are some who do. If you purchase from a vendor with an upgrade policy she can change her mind later and that''s the best of both worlds, right? :) Blue nile doesn''t have one though.... I''d contact www.goodoldgold.com about finding you a heart in the size/specs you''re looking for... then in 5-10 years if she feels too old for a heart she can try something else.

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
If you know for sure that she wants a heart for her e-ring, I think you would be better served with a different setting. I find this setting a bit busy with the channel set rounds - rather than setting off the heart it competes with the heart. Try watching the webinar from today from Whiteflash with John. There was a really pretty heart ring that had 2 side diamonds.

Good luck.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Well, I think that ring you posted with the heart-shaped diamond is delightful!
30.gif

One thing does occur to me though...do you know what size diamond you''ll be in the market for? It seems to me that the "heartness" of a really small one might be less discernable.

Anyway...if your gf likes hearts, I say go for it. If in the distant future she wants something else, it could made into a beautiful and pendant.

widget

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
You''ve noted that your GF likes the heart shaped, as do you. I''d ask how old you both are?

The reason I ask? Things that we tend to like in our early 20s end tend to change as we age. I used to love ovals in my early 20s, but now, I''m not that keen on them for e-rings.

I''d stick to a classic shape for and e-ring, and if you want to personalize it, perhaps put two heart-shaped sidestones into the ring design.

As a solitaire, I''d probably choose to leave the heart-shaped stone for a pendant or bracelet, and I''d go with a more timeless shape for an ering.

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
ALJ has a great idea with heart-shaped side stones.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I agree with everyone else. I think you have to be certain that a heart is what she has her...um...heart....set on. lol! I definitely would make sure the vendor has a buyback policy, because I can''t see wanting a heart center stone as anything but a fad. I''m sure there are people out there who disagree and love hearts though!

I think that I would feel like a little girl if I wore a heart engagement ring..but that''s just me. For some reason I''m picturing myself in pink too...not sure what that''s about...lol.

crash440

Rough_Rock
thanks bluehue, thats the type of response I was hoping to get.

Thanks to everyone else as well, but I think "upgrading" isn't really an option for us. She is VERY sentimental. She wouldn't trade in any part of her engagement ring, just because there is more meaning to it. Hard to explain, but I know how she is.

For exmaple, this weekend I almost proposed one night without a ring just becuase the moment felt perfect. I talked to a friend about it, and the friend told me I should go buy a cheap ring just to have something in case. Well if I gave my girlfriend a $100 cheapo ring as her engagement ring, that would be the ring she would wear the rest of her life. Sure I could buy her a nice fancy ring later, but she would always consider the $100 ring her engagement ring... I'm not complaining about that (who could?), but thats how she is.

With that said, I am looking for something in the .8-1.0 carat rannge. I need to go find a good local jeweler that has a few heart shaped diamonds and see what I think. If theres any doubt after seeing a few in person then I will definitely go with a more traditional round diamond. And I have a little time to think (eh, save money up) about which to go with. Thankfully I don't have to make this decision tomorrow...

What setting would you suggest for a heart shaped diamond ? Also I haven't seen in settings with heart side stones, any links or pics?

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 8:38:09 PM
Author: crash440
Thanks to everyone else as well, but I think ''upgrading'' isn''t really an option for us. She is VERY sentimental. She wouldn''t trade in any part of her engagement ring, just because there is more meaning to it. Hard to explain, but I know how she is.

For exmaple, this weekend I almost proposed one night without a ring just becuase the moment felt perfect. I talked to a friend about it, and the friend told me I should go buy a cheap ring just to have something in case. Well if I gave my girlfriend a $100 cheapo ring as her engagement ring, that would be the ring she would wear the rest of her life. Sure I could buy her a nice fancy ring later, but she would always consider the $100 ring her engagement ring... I''m not complaining about that (who could?), but thats how she is.
It makes total sense and you explained it very well. Some folks are extremely sentimental, I am like that and that is why my BF and I wanted to have the "perfect" ring since there won''t be an upgrade . . . other diamonds to add to the "collection" but no upgrade.

You say you know she likes hearts but do you know if she prefers a heart for an e-ring? For instance, I love princess cuts but for my e-ring decided to stay with the traditional round brilliant. Have you asked her about a heart shaped diamond for the e-ring or is the ring a surprise?

If she has her heart set on a heart, I would go with either a solitaire or a setting with 2 small sidestones that won''t overwhelm the center diamond. Good Luck.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i work with a librarian in my school who has a solitaire, very plain, with a 1 - 1.25 carat heart set quite high and spiky. I love it!
it screams "Hi, I"M A HEART and DURN PROUD OF IT!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring (both of them). I will say that I am not a fan of heart shaped diamonds for myself, but I think they are pretty and not a shape that is too common. The most important factor is finding what your GF will be happy with...if that is a heart shaped e ring, then that is what it should be!

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Cehra. For some reason I think heart rings should be dainty becuase hearts are so feminine. OP - I''m not suggesting you buy on ebay but ebay has a slew of heart rings where you may want to browse and snag an idea.

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
I am not a big fan of the heart-shaped diamond but I really do like the setting in your picture. I think the way the band narrows as it gets closer to the center stone makes the heart pop more. I think it''s adorable. Good luck with your final decision.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i think hearts should be largish so they don''t look like a mutant pear or round....

i second the idea of a used heart on ebay.

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Here are a couple of three stone rings with heart sidestones...

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=264&rn=328&action=show_detail

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=202&rn=337&action=show_detail

Here are a couple that have a heart design on the side of the head...

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=201&rn=347&action=show_detail

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=200&rn=770&action=show_detail

Then there's Belles three stone with heart prongs...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-w-prong-heart-prongs.59362/

If you were to go with the heart shaped stone, I think it would look best in a solitaire setting. But as you can see there are lots of ways of working in the heart theme without commiting to heart shaped stone.

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don''t like heart shaped diamonds or heart shaped anything on a ring.

I much prefer classic cuts...emerald, asscher, round. Heart shapes always seem gimmicky to me.

A great place to start looking at fantastic rings is www.artofplatinum.com. It is a great place to get ideas for a ring that will knock your wifes friends, family, and especially her socks off.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do not love heart shapes for e rings. It just seems to trite. But what matters is your fiancee does. No one can know what their taste will be in ten or twenty years, but I would get the stone from someone with an upgrade policy, OR, if she ever decides she likes another shape, but is sentimental about the stone you got engaged with, you can make this one a pendant. I DO love heart shapes in pendants or rhr, but again, it really does not matter if I like heart shapes or not. I am not wearing it! It is a lovely setting too. I also love a round or oval with heart side stones, with the hearts set east west so the two rounded sides touch the stone and the pointed end goes outward if that makes sense!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
poster - what is your budget?

crash440

Rough_Rock
Budget is 5,000 at the absolute most. 4k would be alot nicer on my wallet, but this is a one in a lifetime purchase so I''m going to go overboard.

Sorry a little off topic, but what is the best way to go about getting some financing?

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
I''m pretty obsessed with finance matters and investing and so forth. I would urge you not to finance a ring and only purchase what you can afford to pay for in cash. In a shorter time than you think, you might be wanting a house and a baby, and I think you''d regret financing a ring. However, I''ll leave it at that because years of experience have taught me that I have a pretty low success rate when trying to talk people out of spending money.

I think a heart would look nice in a simple solitaire setting. I would recommend seeing one in person because many don''t seem to be cut well. The tops of the heart can be really pointy.

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2007 11:21:25 AM
Author: crash440
Budget is 5,000 at the absolute most. 4k would be alot nicer on my wallet, but this is a one in a lifetime purchase so I'm going to go overboard.

Sorry a little off topic, but what is the best way to go about getting some financing?

In my humble opinion, do not go into severe debt for a ring unless you have a plan to get it paid relatively quickly...i.e. 6-12 months. If not, start saving. I truly believe this.

That being said, apply for a credit card that will give you a 12 month low introductory offer, like 0%-2% interest. They are out there, as when I make a big purchase and don't have the capital I use them all the time. I just paid a 10k loan back on one card since it had a 1.99% intro, as opposed to paying the 7.5% I was paying them. It will be paid off in 3 months.

Although most have ignored my suggestions regarding where/what to purchase, but coming from the male's perspective, and getting the most bang for your buck, here is what I would do with your budget:

#1) Learn as much as you can about the cut of a diamond, since most of the $$$ is found in nicely cut stones.

#2) Search craigslist for someone who had a broken engagement and is looking to unload their ring. This will get you a 10k ring for 5k. No joke. Just ask me, since I sold my 10k ring for 5500.00. You can probably even find the post and picture of it from about 6 years ago on here. If the person did as much research, and they have the GIA, AGS, Hearts and Arrows stone...you're golden.

#3) Look at Pearlmans selection of great deals/previously owned items. They had some beauties recently, but all have been sold.

I know most people, including many on this board, think harshly against buying second hand...but if a 10k ring for 5k will be far more impressive than a 5k ring that the jeweler wouldnt buy back from you for more than 1500.00.

Anyways, I'd love to hear your opinion on my suggestion. Since I love to search, I wouldn't even mind helping you out.

What is your time frame?

Here is the beauty custom ring I had made for 10k...and sold for 5500.00.

good6.jpg

good.jpg

-G

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results