shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you do when...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What if you are looking for a piece of jewelry and you find something close to what you want but not exactly. The kicker is that the piece you found is about 1/3 of the cost of the one you really want.

A like in that
- stones are the same (color/cut/size/clarity)

Things not a like
- were hoping for platinum but less expensive one you found is in white gold
- setting is not quite what you were looking for (shared prong vs channel)
- price of one found is about 1/3 of price of the one that you would order with everything you want

Would you go for the lower price one, declare it close enough and applaude yourself for getting such a good deal, OR
pay full price and get the one that is exactly what you want?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard question....I would probably go for the less expensive one and take the deal, but then later I might regret I didn''t hold out for the one I really wanted...

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I think it would also depend on what the piece is for. If it''s an e-ring that you would wear everyday, it might be worth saving up and getting what you really want. If it''s a fun piece or something that won''t be worn all the time, then I would probably settle for the less expensive piece and call it close enough.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
To me, a deal is only a deal when you get exactly what you want. If you''re constantly going to wish the ring you settled on was your dream ring, it''s probably better to save up!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on what its for. For my wedding band I held out for exactly what I wanted and paid a lot to get it. For another piece I own I went for the less expensive, almost what I was looking for option and patted myself on the back for saving the money.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
That''s a tough call, and would depend on the piece - is this an engagement ring or wedding band? Is the shared prong/channel-set an eternity band, or just a portion/shank of a solitaire ring? In an eternity band, that difference is much more substantial than if it''s just a side feature in an engagement ring. And, are they equally comfortable? Sorry to answer your question with more questions, but it''s hard for me to decide too.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually its a 5 stone diamond band that I plan on wearing for my wedding ring. I can afford either but I''m a girl who loves
a good bargain and never likes to pay full price! I guess if it was something very unusual it makes sense to pay buy what you
really want but 5 stone diamond rings are not that unusual. I havent tried either of them on (both are internet orders).

Fleur_de_Lis

Shiny_Rock
If you like it, buy it. If you don''t really care for it or it''s not precisely what you want, why would you waste your money?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
ty - if you''re planning on wearing this band alone, then I would get what you really want. But it sounds like you might not even know what that is, so I''d go try on both styles at a local store to see which you like better. Then go find a bargain!
31.gif
You''re right that a 5-stone is not hard to find, so no matter which style you choose, you should be able to find a decent price.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results