shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you do when you got big knuckles?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
I was sized to 4.75, because a smaller size won''t go past my knuckle, but when I finally sqeeze it over my knuckle the ring is loose and can sometimes spin.

What does everyone do that has larger knuckles? I want to go down to a 4.5, but the ring sizer wont let me, I often wondered if the ring sizer was just difficult to get on anyway.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I have big knuckles and have to buy a half size up. They do spin though. I don''t know of another solution.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
It''s like having large hips and a smaller waist, I''m cursed either way!!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are these plastic ring guards (link) that you might be able to put on your ring once you have it over your knuckle. (I''m actually thinking about ordering a pack myself.) These seem like they might be a good solution because they won''t damage your rings like metal ring guards do and they are temporary so you could not use them in the warmer weather if your fingers swell (like mind do). Just an idea...

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
I have heard of the little "speed bumps" that a jeweler can insert on the inside of the ring. From what I hear, they allow the ring to slide over the knuckle and help "fill" in the gaps. Not sure if they are comfortable or not, but may be worth checking out.

opalship

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
I am new to the forum so I hope I am not intruding,
I have a way of making a sort of double sized style and a very comfortable no roll ring band with a half size difference if anyone wants a silver or gold sheet ring made to order, I might be able to help out , I wear one I made for a large turquoise I cut and then set en cabochon, and it does not roll ,and if my size is down or up a half that day its no problem either.

I don't have a picture up but perhaps I can find the chance to put one on my web site if someone is actually interested , just let me know.

:') JM

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I confess, I have big knuckles and they seem to be getting bigger.
39.gif
Right now my rings are a half size bigger to get over the knuckle. I have sizing beads in my ER to keep it from spinning. They do work and while the ring is on it''s comfortable but taking the ring on and off is a literal pain! I have a pink sapphire RHR that has a "bridge" instead of the sizing beads and I like this so much better. In the future that is what I will get in all of my rings.

chicagolawyer

Rough_Rock
My mom has skinny fingers and big knuckles (4.25 fingers, 5.25 knuckles) and she has her e-ring and wedding band on a hinge.

To get on and off you stick a pin in a little hole and the hinge opens up, so you size the ring to your finger and don't have to ever slide it over your knuckle.

This doesnt work well with eternity bands though, and it's better if you get it custom done while first making the ring. Jewelers will hinge an already finished piece if it is doable though (e.g. just a platinum band, or half eternity).

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
I have the same problem. I wore my engagement ring and wedding band for 10 years, spinning all the way, before I found out about the sizing beads. I love them. They are very comfortable and keep the rings in place. I don''t even know they are there.

bujiatang

Rough_Rock
Speed bumps tend to be uncomfortable though. It really depends on the wearer. I really like the bands that are hinged and swing open like what Chicagolawyer was talking about. One company that makes them is Superfit. wicked expensive though, especially since gold went into the 650 range.

If your jeweler has a lazerwelder they can add a small leaf spring made from gold to the inside of the band. If a torch is used too much of the spring heats up and the metal anneals-- losing its springiness. I would try this first, it is less abrasive against the finger than speed bumps and much less expensive than a hinged band.

Please don't buy the plastic things from anyone but a hardware store, all they are is small diameter hose cut into 1/8 inch pieces.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
this is for a RHR
my e ring has been designed square of three sides to prevent spining, it was custom fit for my finger. You would never know it was square on the finger.
2.gif

and it''s soo comfortable

bujiatang

Rough_Rock
european shanks are awesome, I completely forgot to mention that. it adds a nice heft to the ring also.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A long time ago I thought someone posted on here about rings that open in the back and slip on like a bracelet. Can''t remember the manufacturer, sorry. Maybe another long timer here with a better memory can find the post.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, did a net search and found two things that may be interesting to you. One is here
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/adjustable-shank.htm and the other is here http://www.fingermate.com/

bujiatang

Rough_Rock
Ive seen those fingermates, the wire through the back wears out though. usually after 6 years. But then what shoes do you wear after 6 years of wear. What tires last 6 years of constant driving.

I prefer http://www.superfitonline.com/

they are made heavier.

liz_caruso

Rough_Rock
My jeweler put a Superfit on my wedding ring and I love it! It dosnt spin on my hands anymore and they dont hurt like the sizing beads I used to have. It opens and closes with a small dimple on the side, and I know its closed when I hear it click. I am really please with the work that they did. I did a search for Superfit, and their website is www.superfitinc.com. Hope that helps :)

sarahthewarrior

Shiny_Rock
The ring guards (also called ring snuggies) that Dee*Jay posted are quite cheap and effective. Both my mother and my sister have huge knuckles (I never cracked mine!), and they both adopted this method to keep their diamonds from spinning around. I wore one on my class ring for a while before I got a chance to resize it after losing some weight. They're comfortable and don't pinch, and most of the time you won't even notice they're there--and neither will anyone else.
2.gif
You can get them at Claire's or Wal-Mart.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
There are different versions of the hinged- or arthritic shanks; some are said to be better than others. I've heard superfit is one that wears out more quickly. Some folks recommend fingermate, and from what I've heard the best one is superringfit. Here is a thread on it:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-for-big-knuckle.27789/

and another:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-hinged-shank-is-the-best.45409/

p.s. another thing I've heard of is a sort of horseshoe shaped thing that goes inside the shank, that's sort of springy, and thus can get over the knuckle but then expands as necessary when it's past the knuckle.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the horseshoe sizer would work nicely - I think Jazmine has one on her ring.

Manmountain

Rough_Rock
Just my opinion.

I have installed a lot of sizing beads, Few complaints. With a first complaint, I remove the balls and install smaller ones.

Fingerfit shanks are the next. They are economical and work well for the price. They are limited in available widths, however.

The last choice is the Creates PFF Ring Clasp. A positive lock and comes in any width. A little pricy, but in my opinion, the best.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Have you heard of sizing beads? I hear them talked about frequently on this forum. Apparently they are fairly easy to add/remove. And you can''t see them when the ring is on. I believe these are different than the speed bumps others are talking about.

Maybe someone can post some pictures of options for you. That would be cool to see... hint hint!!
2.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s another option. My jeweler called it a "bridge".

cmsbridge.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results