shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting for big knuckle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cakii

Rough_Rock
My wife has a nice diamond ring which was sized to fit over her large knuckle. Of course it is very loose once over the knuckle. We had a spring inserted inside, but it is still too loose.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I was told that there are settings with a hinge. Does anyone have information on these?
We would appreciate a reference to a catalog or manufacturer, or to a jeweler in the Los Angeles orange county California area. Thanks.
3.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
There are a number of manufacturers that make hinges for the bottom part of the ring shank. This is just one of them: LINK

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock

cakii

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input on big knuckle settings. It is exactly what I''m looking for. Do you have any experience with these hinged settings? Is it better to buy a new setting that has the hinge built in, or to modify the current setting?

Carl

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had been wondering about something like this.

Anyone ever hear of this design - or something else - being used when you don''t know the exact ring size, or you want to adjust the ring size based on swelling...

Perry

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2005 9:11
6.gif
7 PM
Author: cakii
Thanks for the input on big knuckle settings. It is exactly what I'm looking for. Do you have any experience with these hinged settings? Is it better to buy a new setting that has the hinge built in, or to modify the current setting?

Carl
Carl,

Talk to your goldsmith. Most have had a lot of experience in this area because this is a very common problem. Depending on the ring design, most often one type of these hinges can be added to your existing ring. They can be quite expensive depending on the metal, but often, it is the only permanent solution that works!

So if your goldsmith hasn't had any experience with these types of projects, try asking around until you find one that does. I had been considering this route and found that my local goldsmith even had examples for me to look at!!

Good luck!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I do have a knuckle problem, such that there is approx. a full size discrepancy between my knuckle size and my finger size (where the ring would sit).
I have had experience with both Superfit and Lockshank.
I highly recommend Lockshank. The inventor of the mechanism, Dave Patton, is both a custom hand fabricator (means he is a skilled craftsman in working with metals) as well as a GIA Gradudate Gemologist. He earned these designations many years ago, thus he has a lot of experience under his belt.
He has done a significant amount of work for me, so I have had the pleasure of getting to know him a bit.
I have sent my 3.29 carat diamond ring, with .75 trillion side stones (thus a 4+ carat ring) to him on a few occasions -- my point is that you can feel comfortable that it is safe to do so.
He totally stands by his work. He is very fair. He is extremely accomodating. He has a very quick turn-around time.
I cannot say enough good things about him and his work, as well as the Lockshank mechanism.
I was devasted over my knuckle problem and the Lockshank made it possible for me to be able to wear my ring.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/17/2005 8:20:12 PM
Author: pearcrazy
Here''s another vendor. Perhaps you could inquire about dealers in your area,

http://www.superfitonline.com/

Properly installing a hinged shank is quite a bit more difficult than it looks and there are several different products available. Some are far better than others. Unfortunately, the best tend to also be the most expensive. I agree that the superringfit people make a very high quality product and am inclined to recommend them if you can live with the prices. They aren''t cheap...

They will sell through most local goldsmiths although this is not a major product in most stores and will require a special order.
Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results