shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you all think of this stone.

Gustovier

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I've been looking around at times for about a year now. I've recently had my eye on a diamond from zoara that I bought to take a look at. I think it shows up pretty well and because of the faint fluorescent it comes at a little bit of a discount. I'm not worried about it showing any cloudiness with faint florescence. I'm extremely nervous about this because spending this amount of money without seeing it first is tough.

What do you all think?

http://www.zoara.com/diamonds/p_cushion_excellent_cut_g_vs1#p=6342319&a_aid=y&chan=x

Gustovier

Rough_Rock
So nobody has replied, but there were a lot of looks at the thread. I have some days to return the diamond once it gets here so I figured I would get your all's opinion first. To maybe make this easier I'll just post the info I have here. Thanks again everyone!

zoara_gia.jpg 6342319_cushion_excellent_cut_g_vs1.jpg

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably the reason no one has replied is that you can't buy cushions by the numbers, and sometimes not even by a picture. That said, it would be very nice if you could get ASET images to assess the actual light performance of the stone. If that's not possible, then your eyes are the next step - do you have it in your possession? It has a nice shape and pleasant facet pattern, but we can't say anything about how it performs.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to compare it to some others and then come back.

What was the price?

Gustovier

Rough_Rock
ecf8503 said:
Probably the reason no one has replied is that you can't buy cushions by the numbers, and sometimes not even by a picture. That said, it would be very nice if you could get ASET images to assess the actual light performance of the stone. If that's not possible, then your eyes are the next step - do you have it in your possession? It has a nice shape and pleasant facet pattern, but we can't say anything about how it performs.

That makes sense and I haven't received it yet. All I had to go off was this picture (no pic or ASET available) and the numbers. So I was really nervous to take the plunge, but the cost was around $17400 for it, which had me excited and a little concerned because that's a great deal (so I think, maybe the faint fluorescence brings the price down that much). But one thing I've noticed is that diamonds are usually priced what they are worth and there's no such thing as a "steal" deal. There's a return policy so i figured its best to do it before it's not available anymore.

Speaking of which, are folks noticing that diamond prices are down? Last year when I started looking my budget barely would do a 2.0CT diamond now i can fit 2.1/2.2CT diamonds in there..

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, you are observant! Prices are down a bit! I am checking for similar stones and prices now.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, that is an excellent price! I am not seeing anything comparable for less money and most are more. So you may have a great deal if the stone is beautiful in person! When it comes, try to take some macro photos of it for us if you can. So far, so good!

Gustovier

Rough_Rock
Well let's see if Zoara comes through, they deal with vendors all over and I think this is coming from India. They said I definitely have it, but I won't fully believe it until it's here. Can't believe i just gave that much cash to an online vendor :o

I have no idea how to take good photos of a diamond especially since the only camera I have is my iphone 6, but I'll try! If you all have picture taking advice let me know!

This process is so stressful, and fun at the same time and this all before I propose!! lol Thanks again everyone for helping this fella out.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Gustovier|1453600875|3980525 said:
ecf8503 said:
That makes sense and I haven't received it yet. All I had to go off was this picture (no pic or ASET available) and the numbers. So I was really nervous to take the plunge, but the cost was around $17400 for it, which had me excited and a little concerned because that's a great deal (so I think, maybe the faint fluorescence brings the price down that much). But one thing I've noticed is that diamonds are usually priced what they are worth and there's no such thing as a "steal" deal. There's a return policy so i figured its best to do it before it's not available anymore.

Hi - just a comment - faint fluoro won't have any affect on price.
Hope this helps

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, sorry, glad ADN commented about the Fl. Usually you don't see a price break unless it is medium or especially strong+.

The stones coming from India seem to be priced low. So we will just have to see. I usually use my iPhone 6, too, and it won't do super close ups, but you can experiment. I just touch the screen to focus on the diamond and get it as close as it will make a clear shot. Sorry I can't be of more help on phone photography!

Gustovier

Rough_Rock
ADN|1453602108|3980536 said:
Gustovier|1453600875|3980525 said:
ecf8503 said:

Hi - just a comment - faint fluoro won't have any affect on price.
Hope this helps

Welp, that makes me think something else must be wrong with this stone then if that price isn't influenced by the faint fluoro.

*Edit

Saw that you said that maybe because it's coming from India is the reason why its at that price point. Hope that's all it is!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am seeing some stones coming from there at very low price points. I think you have little to lose by ordering as I am assuming they have a good return policy, right?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with DS. It's certainly worth trying it.

Gustovier

Rough_Rock
Yup, it's on its way, so we will see.

So with getting the setting made, you just ship off your diamond to that jeweler? I know ERD and Steven Kirsch seem to have good recommendations, but I like the look for the below lauren B settings.

I really like this setting that Lauren B has because of the diamonds on top and side of the halo. Although I do feel like the halo diamonds could look closer together, but maybe I'm wrong. I also like the basket look of the prongs (with diamonds) that hold the center diamond. I do also want to try and customize it so that the band has 2 row pave diamonds, so that way the wedding band can be completely flush to the engagement ring and not be damaged by diamonds. You all see any issues with this design thought?

http://www.laurenbjewelry.com/diamo...-ct-cushion-cut-platinum-engagement-ring.html

lauren_b_side.jpg

lauren_b_side_angle_2.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not a fan of multiple row pave halos on larger stones. And I don't like the look of that halo. Reminds me a ship covered in barnacles.

That said, if it's for you, then your opinion is all that matters. If it's for someone who has liked the Harry Winston One, I would not veer off script though.

The head of that ring looks like it could just snap off. I would not do a thicker shank either. Not if your lady wants a HW look.

It really all depends on what the wearer wants and likes.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gustovier

Rough_Rock
You all didn't really like my ring, haha. This a really subjective topic though.

Ok, so she definitely has to have a halo, there is no changing that. She herself hasn't done that much research, in fact she has pretty much I think only looked at pictures of rings from the top down and pretty much all Halos look the same from the top down. This puts me in a tough spot now, cause it's all up to me! I'm going to go with the assumption that because she hasn't noticed the fact that there are a lot of different designs that we then need to go with something fairly simple and straight forward, but yet has a little bit of bling to it.

Below are some of the pictures of rings she loves. Again they are all mostly top down, so I don't believe she knows what she even likes and is unaware of the many types of options. For the eagle eye viewer you will also notice the main stone in most of these pictures has that "crushed ice" look. Again she hasn't done nearly as much research or looking around as I have so she's not even aware of the different type of cushions. Therefore, I made an executive decision to not go with that "crushed ice" type of look based off all my research and diamond viewing.

She also mentioned she "wanted diamonds all around the band". I'm interpreting this to mean diamonds mostly all around the band but not the full eternity style. I heard that diamonds at the bottom of the band are not that practical. Let me know if you all have another opinion on my decision here.

Additionally, she wanted a thin band "but not too thin" as she wants a thicker wedding band. I would like this wedding band to be able to sit flush to the engagement ring.

Below are the pictures I have of rings she liked..

She said this one was "super perfect"
ring_example_2.jpg

These were labeled as "rings i love and look perfect"... see my problem :)

ring_example_3.jpg

Notice this band has the double/triple pave around it. I think I personally really like this double pave around the band look. But she did not call it out specifically.
ring_example_1.jpg

ring_example_4.jpg

ring_example_5.jpg

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
What type of wedding band does she want (metal, diamonds, how thick is "thicker", etc), is there a pinterest page that she's started for that?

Gustovier

Rough_Rock
VirginiaZee said:
What type of wedding band does she want (metal, diamonds, how thick is "thicker", etc), is there a pinterest page that she's started for that?

I think we are having to go platinum, mainly because I believe this is what she would want and for the added strength.

I don't really know the answer to the how much thicker, without asking her (which I really really don't want to do). I am pretty sure her wedding band she will want diamonds . Unfortunately she doesn't have a pinterest page on any kind of jewelry.

Gustovier

Rough_Rock
Couple of other points.

No split shanks. I dont think I like cathedral style rings as well

The Halo diamonds do need to appear close together and look almost seamless, she doesn't like if there is much gap inbetween the diamonds.

Also I like the look of being able to see the halo diamonds not only on the top of the halo but from side view as well. This will add a little more "bling" to the setting. (I don't want it to be too ornate and have too much bling where its no longer classy though). I've noticed this can be accomplished with either another row of diamonds on the side of the halo or by making the diamonds somewhat angled or it looks like by the type of halo diamond setting this could even be possible.

Edit*

Through the power of google search, This picture I posted earlier seems to be a Jean Dousset ring

http://jeandousset.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/ava/

ring_example_1.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No stones on the sides of the shank. That weakens the shank and can destroy the wedding band. You really are not supposed to wear those with a wedding band. Shank (band) should be at least 1.8mm wide to be strong enough with the pave holes.

Here are my recommendations:

Most expensive: Victor Canera and Steven Kirsch, top of the line, handforged, over $4k

Moderately priced: BG Anita, but that halo is almost more round to me than cushion shape

Lower priced but still respected brand: Ritani, and it looks like what she wants and works with a wedding band, nice cushion shape halo

https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/french-set-halo-diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-platinum/5048

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1453672090|3980824 said:
No stones on the sides of the shank. That weakens the shank and can destroy the wedding band. You really are not supposed to wear those with a wedding band. Shank (band) should be at least 1.8mm wide to be strong enough with the pave holes.

Most expensive: Victor Canera and Steven Kirsch, top of the line, handforged, over $4k

Moderately priced: BG Anita, but that halo is almost more round to me than cushion shape

Lower priced but still respected brand: Ritani, and it looks like what she wants and works with a wedding band, nice cushion shape halo

https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/french-set-halo-diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-platinum/5048

I'd go with a handforged halo if you can afford it. Don't get jiggy with it. Almost all of her inspirations are the same setting. Don't assume her ignorance of the side view. She may have seen rings with fancy side views and not put them in her "perfect" category .

I am going to recommend one of these settings in order of preference given your desires and hers. I would not have the stems paved personally.

http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/halo/r0140.html this one has diamonds on the profile of the halo like you wanted.
http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/halo/r0109.html

Gustovier

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1453683537|3980896 said:
diamondseeker2006|1453672090|3980824 said:

I'd go with a handforged halo if you can afford it. Don't get jiggy with it. Almost all of her inspirations are the same setting. Don't assume her ignorance of the side view. She may have seen rings with fancy side views and not put them in her "perfect" category .

I am going to recommend one of these settings in order of preference given your desires and hers. I would not have the stems paved personally.

http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/halo/r0140.html this one has diamonds on the profile of the halo like you wanted.
http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/halo/r0109.html

Steven Kirsch was definitely at top of my list. I love these 2 options you have. I just have a few questions, The first option is eternity diamond band style (I believe thats what you call it when there's diamonds completely all around the band). Does this cause practicality issues? Will it be more uncomfortable? What about if we have to get ring resized, I feel this would cause more issues?

What is really also the benefit of hand forged? What are the downsides of it compared to Cast?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Handforged is the finest quality. I don't think you sacrifice in durability from a practical standpoint with well made cast, but there is subtle refinement in handforged. That said, not everyone requires that level of perfection, and there are plenty of happy people who have fine quality cast rings. I would personally do the Ritani (which is cast) if I were not doing handforged. Most people wouldn't even know what handforged means, so you have to weigh the cost factor. Here is an explantion of the benefits of handforged by Victor Canera who is my first choice for handforged:

https://www.victorcanera.com/education/jewelry/hand-forged

You would not have diamonds go all the way around the shank (band). You would leave perhaps 5:00 to 7:00 without diamonds in case the ring ever needs to be sized. But sizing is something you want to avoid, if possible, because it can loosen the stones in the shank.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will just add that I think the wedding band that is the best with this style ring is one that exactly matches the shank of the engagement ring.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1453745335|3981229 said:
I will just add that I think the wedding band that is the best with this style ring is one that exactly matches the shank of the engagement ring.
Yup
Do not do full eternity. Leave a sizing area. But as DS said sizing can cause issues so make 100% sure you get the size right.

Gustovier

Rough_Rock
So Steven kirsch wanted $6400 for the setting using and 3/4 of the band set with F/VS diamonds, shipping not included. That's way to much in my mind as I'm not sure what I am getting special for that type of premium.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gustovier|1453762216|3981395 said:
So Steven kirsch wanted $6400 for the setting using and 3/4 of the band set with F/VS diamonds, shipping not included. That's way to much in my mind as I'm not sure what I am getting special for that type of premium.

That's about right for a 2 carat plus center. Try Brilliantly Engaged. Make sure you ask for a handforged fabrication. Price will lower but quality will still be excellent.

Gustovier

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1453762628|3981398 said:
Gustovier|1453762216|3981395 said:

That's about right for a 2 carat plus center. Try Brilliantly Engaged. Make sure you ask for a handforged fabrication. Price will lower but quality will still be excellent.

Thanks Gypsy. I'm still not understanding what value you get for that type of premium with going to Steven Kirsch. It's hard for me mentally paying the more money if I don't understand what I'm getting for it. As far as handforged, I'm guessing my girlfriend will (and probably myself) wouldn't be able to tell the difference and it's not something we are particular after just for the sake of being "hand forged".

I did read the article on Victor Canera's and site it seems that even thought that article states hand forged jewlery will be stronger and more durable (the only real plus that would matter to me), a lot of the posts on pricescope say that well made cast rings will give the same strength and durability. Am I interpreting this wrong? To me it just seems like that extra money would be better spent on a vacation or bigger diamond, etc..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results