shape
carat
color
clarity

What do I say when...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Savvymon

Shiny_Rock
My partner and I live in Australia and we will be in New York in June and have plans to visit GOG, (mostly to drool at this stage
30.gif
), I have my heart set on one of Rhino''s amazing H & A signature RB''s or a Jubilee and to purchase a diamond from him and bring it back to Aust to be set.

The problems all started when I went exploring for quotes on getting a custom setting made, the jewellers I have found are happy to set a loose stone (though one freaked out over a dimond via the internet!), but... all are arguing that their diamonds are better, I had a look at a couple of certs and they were mostly VG, one stone having G symetry, 56.6% depth... He then proceded to state that H&A cut stones, Gemnex, Ideal - scope, ASET, and even GIA certification is basiclly rubbish and not worth the paper its written on because the % can be up to 20% out???? and are all just gimmicks anyways. I didnt argue with the jewellers, I''m just at a loss of what to say to defuse the rants.
7.gif

I thought it would be a good idea to get an appx price of the setting first so I can decide on the budget of the stone... Should I just wait untill I have the diamond?? Any Ideas?
emcrook.gif

9.gif

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
You can get setting price quotes before you get the stone, but the prices won't be exactly accurate because they will probably be based on the price of metals around that time, so when you are about to buy (if it's far out)- the prices will no longer really apply.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Do you know what you want your custom setting to look like? You might consider GOG and picking up the whole thing in June. I think picking the stone is the easy part. GOG offers those great videos of stones when you are comparing. It''s almost as good as seeing the stones in person.

What city are you in? You might get some recommendations here as I know there are Aussies whom have worked with local jewelers.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, just get the whole thing in the US. You can choose it and design it while you''re there, and if it''s not ready in time just have your vendor ship it to you.
GOG can help you with that for sure, but I would also consider ERD while in NY, they do good custom.

Savvymon, from one Aust to another - don''t bother! 90% of jewellers here are simply braindead when it comes to diamond education. Then if you do show them "proof" with something fantastic that you got for a good price, they can get aggressive and rude (yes, its happened to me).
Also, the setting will almost definately be cheaper in the US.

I don''t like to say it, but the jewellery industry is just not that great here - I have tried and tried to find a reasonable vendor who does high quality work (and doesn''t have a bad attitude about the internet thing) - trust me, it''s not easy!
Once I find one - they are simply too expensive
7.gif

What do you say? Just don''t tell them - say its a gift from your guy and you have no idea where he''s buying it.
Also, do you realize that your diamond will not be covered for any type of damage or breakage if you go that route? There is simply no way in Aust to have a loose gem insured for setting, and the jewellers will not accept liability.
It is very rare for damage to happen, but I wouldn''t like to take the risk with someone with a bad attitude, KWIM?

Ok, sorry that was a novel! Sorry for being a downer, I''m just trying to share my experiences with you on this
1.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 4:38:27 AM
Author: arjunajane
Honestly, just get the whole thing in the US. You can choose it and design it while you''re there, and if it''s not ready in time just have your vendor ship it to you.

GOG can help you with that for sure, but I would also consider ERD while in NY, they do good custom.

Savvymon, from one Aust to another - don''t bother! 90% of jewellers here are simply braindead when it comes to diamond education. Then if you do show them ''proof'' with something fantastic that you got for a good price, they can get aggressive and rude (yes, its happened to me).

I don''t like to say it, but the jewellery industry is just not that great here - I have tried and tried to find a reasonable vendor who does high quality work (and doesn''t have a bad attitude about the internet thing) - trust me, it''s not easy!

Once I find one - they are simply too expensive
7.gif

What do you say? Just don''t tell them - say its a gift from your guy and you have no idea where he''s buying it.

Also, do you realize that your diamond will not be covered for any type of damage or breakage if you go that route? There is simply no way in Aust to have a loose gem insured for setting, and the jewellers will not accept liability.

It is very rare for damage to happen, but I wouldn''t like to take the risk with someone with a bad attitude, KWIM?

Ok, sorry that was a novel! Sorry for being a downer, I''m just trying to share my experiences with you on this
1.gif

Ditto, also you can''t insure loose stones here and if something happens to your new diamond while being set and is uninsured your up the creek without a paddle :).

I bought my diamond from GOG from Australia and then FI picked it up from LM in NY, the videos are great it makes it soooo easy to pick honestly I would get it all organised while your here and work from there ;-).

Savvymon

Shiny_Rock
Thankyou for the responses your all
emstar.gif
''s and have definatly given me some ideas to think about, I was unsure of what to do about insurance though if there really isn''t a way of insuring a loose stone is OZ it really isnt worth being up the creek without a paddle. Im glad to have found out now deelight thank you, you just saved me a heap of time ''on hold''
1.gif
)

Savvymon, from one Aust to another - don''t bother! 90% of jewellers here are simply braindead when it comes to diamond education. Then if you do show them "proof" with something fantastic that you got for a good price, they can get aggressive and rude (yes, its happened to me).

Arjunajane I definatly agree with you braindead is definatly a great description for some of the rubbish Ive heard!
14.gif

I actually managed to find a nice jeweller www.adornjewels.com.au I spoke to the actual designer/owner Penelopy Gilbert and she was lovely, though in light of the insurace problem I''ll prob go the GOG custom path my worry with this though is that it''s a loooooong way to send it back if I have any probs with the setting. I''d love to work with Leon Mege but alas me thinks he would laugh at a 70 - 80 pt ''chip''!!!

Savvymon

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 7:09:59 PM
Author: Maisie
Take a look at this beautiful Leon Mege setting.... take notice of the diamond size..
31.gif

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=466
Thankyou Maisie! You truely are a
emstar.gif
!!!!

hahahaha Should I eat my words now??????

I had no idea he would even concider somthing under 1ct after reading a thread about somone who took their 1.5 cushion (I think) and Leon just kept repeating and repeating how small the diamond is.

Maybe I can look into this Mmmmmm Yummy!!

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=348
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock

Savvymon

Shiny_Rock
If I were to work with Leon would I have to insure the stone with an American company against breakage???

Deelight that''s good to know
31.gif
, there appears to be alot of mixed messages about Leon around PS.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truthfully, the easiest and safest thing is to have GOG set the stone. Considering the setting designers they offer, I can''t imagine not being able to find one!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I won''t recomend this at all so do so at YOUR OWN RISK.

I have my diamond insured with Chubb as they insure worldwide before I left they won''t insure a loose stone (but you can buy a cheap temp setting from GOG for that) and they also will not insure the stone until it is in your possession. So my diamond went off from GOG to Christian in Philly for the insurance appraisal then back to LM in NY. So while it was being set it was technically uninsured - I took a risk it paid off and I was happy with it :).

The thing with Chubb they will only insure jewellery over 25kAUD in value, other insurance companies will insure for less but you need to see whether they will insure worldwide, how long and what will happen should something go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results