color
clarity

What did I buy?

Aquamarine or Blue Topaz?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lafolk

Rough_Rock
Hello, everyone. I just purchased this ring and was told it was Aquamarine and the center stone is 14.25 x 9.52 mm. It could be Blue Topaz but, judging from the last picture, I do not think so.

Can anyone help by giving an educated and/or experienced guess as to what I just bought? I did buy it because I thought it pretty and unique without really knowing what it is. :)

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one can tell definitively from a photo. A gemologist should easily be able to ID it.

lafolk

Rough_Rock
Thank you. I plan to take to our local jewelry mall upon receipt to obtain a verbal confirmation. I will report the determination. I was hoping that the experts here could provide a clue. The description did contain that the gems had been tested with a gem tester so I hope there is enough distinction between topaz and aquamarine as for them not to make a mistake.

But I understand that, for aquamarines, there is a price range which is higher than for blue topaz. I think I paid the aquamarine price. :)

Last edited:

lafolk

Rough_Rock
Are there any reputable colored stones experts in the South Florida area? I am happy to pay for a review in person.

lafolk

Rough_Rock
Update -- I received the ring today and took it to our local jewelry mall (which has about 50 jewelry shops/jewelers) in one location.

After using a refractometer on the main stone, a reputable jeweler determined the main stone to be conclusively "AQUAMARINE" -- so the mystery is over. He did mention that there was a slight abrasion on the underside of the stone so perhaps that is why so many people thought it to be topaz instead of aquamarine.

I am thrilled to have found a beautiful deep blue/green aquamarine approximately 14.95 by 9.52 mm. Now I will attempt to find matching earrings and pendant -- and any assistance in locating aquamarines of this color would be appreciated.

Aquamarine.jpg

Last edited:

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is gorgeous!! I would love it no matter what, but I am partial to aquamarine. I'm sure you are glad to know what you have. I don't think I've ever seen an aquamarine set that way. It's a knockout!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad the mystery is solved. It is a lovely ring.

lafolk

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your kind compliments on the ring. I was concerned that I had overpaid, but I really wanted to keep the ring regardless because I thought it unique and what a lovely color.

Support and confirmation of jewelry purchases from those who also know and love jewelry is so appreciated.

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
I am thrilled to have found a beautiful deep blue/green aquamarine approximately 14.95 by 9.52 mm. Now I will attempt to find matching earrings and pendant -- and any assistance in locating aquamarines of this color would be appreciated.

Aquamarine.jpg

Congrats! That ring is a stunner!

lafolk

Rough_Rock
Many thanks -- I like your pictured green stone, too -- it would be beautiful in a diamond setting! I am getting all sorts of ideas for new rings.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, great ring. With fabulous colors and gorgeous aquamarines! Congratulations!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just voted aquamarine lol.

It's gorgeous!

lafolk

Rough_Rock
I just voted aquamarine lol.

It's gorgeous!
Congrats to you being the only one out of eight. I admit I was a bit concerned when the first seven voted Blue Topaz. But Blue Topaz is quite understandable given the deep color.

Interesting background info. I had two other jewelers look at the stone initially while I was waiting for the jeweler with the refractometer. The first jeweler thought I wanted to sell the ring to him and, without doing any tests, said Blue Topaz. Not very assuring especially when I said I would be happy to pay for any tests to confirm. He then acted like I had insulted his opinion by asking for the tests. I left his counter quickly.

The second man was at another counter waiting to talk to the jeweler - and he specialized in buying colored stones for very, very wealthy individuals. He looked at it intensely with his loupe and set it down on the counter for a few seconds, picked it back up and said it "felt" like an aquamarine and he was going with aquamarine as his final decision. It was interesting that this man determined aquamarine by feel and loupe only.

Finally, I went to the jeweler who had the refractometer (he had been busy with other customers) and he louped it and then did the refractometer test and said it was definitely aquamarine and not Blue Topaz based on the reading.

However, I have one more question. Since the color is so saturated and deep, I would like to determine if the stones had been heated, or if they are this color naturally. Does anyone know how this heat testing can be done? Do I need to send it off to a GIA office? Any ideas?

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! Good for you! I think it's lovely and like the matching halo, those stones are aquamarines too? I think you will need to have your stone unmounted for testing purposes and I would use AGL for colored stones. Website: http://aglgemlab.com. I was going to submit a stone to them but in the end I didn't too lazy! I already set my stone and now too late.

lafolk

Rough_Rock
The jeweler did not test the halo stones but they are an exact color, look and clarity match to the larger stone. It looks as if all the stones were cut at the same time just for this ring. I could have the jeweler test one of the two larger halo stones east/west of the center stone to be sure. Good idea. As to the AGL, I am not crazy about removing a stone and then putting it back in. Perhaps that last question may have to remain a mystery. :)

Landen

Rough_Rock
Amazing ring. Did you buy to celebrate something?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At least look at AGL's website. I'm pretty sure they can test stones without unmounting them, you may just have to pay a bit more.

lafolk

Rough_Rock
Amazing ring. Did you buy to celebrate something?
Yes, my husband said for me to shop for my "graduation" gift since our only son just graduated from high school. Why should the kids receive the only recognition? I think the mom deserves something just having survived the high school years.

And my husband likes to give jewelry to remember special occasions. Woo-hoo. Our 20th anniversary is coming up and I have a much bigger allocation to spend. :)

And I will check out AGL. I just do not like messing with original settings if I can avoid it.

Landen

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your kind reply. Good luck for your son in the future (whether he plans to continue education?). It is very nice to have the tradition to celebrate the special events with so memorable purchases.

lafolk

Rough_Rock
You are most welcomed. Flowers and cards are nice, but a piece of jewelry lasts forever and you can wear the happy memory. :)

Son is off to University of Southern California to study neuroscience. Fight on, Trojans.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's.great you found a jeweler who uses a refractometer. Aquas are not only heated, but sometimes irradiated. I'm not sure if a lab can tell the latter. In any case, I would just wear it and enjoy. I don't think heating affects the value, and if irradiated, it's color will fade over time.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
However, I have one more question. Since the color is so saturated and deep, I would like to determine if the stones had been heated, or if they are this color naturally. Does anyone know how this heat testing can be done? Do I need to send it off to a GIA office? Any ideas?

Much that I know, heating aquamarine may shift the hue from greenish-blue to blue, without much change on the tone & saturation [ so that contrarians like yours truly may come to love the greenish ... ] - inasmuch, unheated aqua has some extra zing, but not as much more as unheated sapphire has vis a vis the heated whose crucial saturation does improve ... Inclusions modified by heat are diagnostic.

Yet - aquamarine may be irradiated from nothing-color to a (literally) incredible blue, somewhat prone to fading. Sure enough, the value reflects that of the not very useful rough that goes into the process. Frankly, I have never met such an oddity ! I imagine that inclusions are diagnostic - if not to me.

Impression: among aquamarine, almost everythign is heated, almost nothing is otherwise treated.

Your beautiful blue is possible without any treatment.

Firm belief: lab reports are sacred - especially fresh ones, mainly when one buys or sells. You may not need to remove the stone for determination, when & if it is high time to get paper.

How curious are you ? I'd go back to the man fingering for the thermal conductivity of beryl, & ask for an opinion ...

_____
[ Note to self: should be quoting GIA's nice infomercials instead of writing this sort of thing - the images are worth spreading ! ]

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are also irradiated aquamarine. If you are truly curious, I would send it to AGL or GIA for better testing.

lafolk

Rough_Rock
I truly appreciate all of your insights. I do not anticipate ever selling this ring. My future daughter-in-law is going to love me since she will be the beneficiary of my jewelry (after ten years and minimum two grandchildren) -- :) But it is nice to know what you have on your hands especially in a unique stone.

Valeria, TL, and Chrono, I will keep an eye as to possible fading (irradiated) and will try to find that very knowledgeable colored stone buyer for determining any evidence of heating.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results