shape
carat
color
clarity

What did I buy?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got this bracelet for one dollar at a garage sale.
I suspect it's old and worth more than a buck.
Of course I can't wear it, but for a buck what the heck!

What can you tell me about it form these pics I took?

I think those four "screws" are not really screws, just decorative.
Also the keyhole is just decorative.
There never was a key.

DSC_0002.png

DSC_0003.png

DSC_0004.png

DSC_0006.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stamped into this part is the numbers, 9 375.

Every other link has these designs stamped into it.

Every link of the bracelet has the number 6 (or 9) stamped onto it.

DSC_0007.png

DSC_0008.png

DSC_0009.png

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
9 .375....is 9 carat gold.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Um... I might be wrong, but I think it's a bracelet with some sort of heart thingy.
;))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missydebby said:
Um... I might be wrong, but I think it's a bracelet with some sort of heart thingy.
;))
Debbi, what would I do without you? :tongue:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
wooo hooo.... could it be that?!? Ken, you're amazing... man do you have a good eye

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
I think it is Victorian rose gold (9K) from the late 1890 and the key could be missing .

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
If you can't wear it, I will double your price paid and I WILL wear it! :bigsmile:

Seriously, that is a beautiful find. Congratulations!! Several years ago I bought a big Waterford pitcher at a garage sale for $1.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
What a great find! It's beautiful. I can't believe you found it for one dollar, lol! I love it!

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
the quote from Birmingham assay office in UK:
"The date letters below show the background shape for silver. The same letters were used for Gold, which has been marked in Birmingham since 1824, but with a background of a square with cut corners. There may be some variations in backgrounds during the late 19th century, especially on watch cases. "

The link:
http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/date_letters.html

[]http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/date_letters.html[]

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where else in the world can you post a mystery and have it solved in less than 4 hours? Kenny, please keep going to garage sales!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, judging from the other similar bracelet you found online, I guess it really is a bracelet -- but at first I wondered if it had been a watch chain sometime in its life. The company listing says they also made watches, which in those days would've been pocket watches.

I thought of it because I have the bracelet below (horribly filthy!) that belonged to my aunt. She had it made into a bracelet -- it was originally her father's watch chain. 9 ct gold also.

--- Laurie

JeriBrac..jpg

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is a sweet bracelet! I was going to say the hallmarks are British but looks like the super sleuths have already solved it. Brilliant!

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
It is a bracelet.
Look at the similar theme of design of every other link between the two

DSC_0002.png

vict34605.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all for the input.
Looks like I got a killer deal.
When I saw it I really thought it was just copper.
In person, it looks much more like copper than gold.

Here are others with prices quite a bit higher than a buck :bigsmile: :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-9-CAR...ps=63&clkid=5563189818578902960#ht_8932wt_913

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Antique-Heart-Padlock-Bracelet-9k-9ct-Genuine-Rose-Gold-/270635580001

These also have the decoration of every other link, and are 9 ct.

I'm really curious now about the date it was made.

I found this date chart for Birmingham silver - but not sure if it's the same for gold
1883 was i, but surrounded by an oval shield.

Close up of the chart and my heart's date mark.
Look at the i for 1901.

http://www.925-1000.com/dlc_sheffield.html

Picture 6.png

Picture 7.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, cool.
Amazing how similar they are.
Looks like that one lost the top moving part of the padlock.

There's the maker W&H.S again.

Doc, your link explains these were kind of like chastity belts.

snip:

The story of the padlock or "gate" bracelet is one that seems to have a little history and a little folklore in it.
It is said that the reason these bracelets were given was because one wanted their lover or wife to know that they loved them a lot with the heart shaped padlock.
The other part of the story is a little murky but it seems to have some truth behind it.
It was told from generation to generation that when a gentleman went off to war or to travel afar, he would leave the bracelet locked around her wrist and he would hold the key until he got back.
This symbol of love would show others gentlemen that the woman was theirs. Sort of like a wrist chastity belt.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doc_1 said:
the quote from Birmingham assay office in UK:
"The date letters below show the background shape for silver. The same letters were used for Gold, which has been marked in Birmingham since 1824, but with a background of a square with cut corners. There may be some variations in backgrounds during the late 19th century, especially on watch cases. "

The link:
http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/date_letters.html

[]http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/date_letters.html[]

Oh my bad.
Based on the link in Doc's quote (now that I finally read closely) the date must be 1908, since they explained the shield's shape used for gold is square with cut corners - just like on my heart.
Plus doc's link described a lower-case g as 1906; therefor 1908 for a lower-case i makes sense.

Thanks Doc1.
So in conclusion (so far) this 9-ct gold bracelet is 102 years old, made by (perhaps) Walker and Hall in Sheffield England in 1908, and assayed in Birmingham England (indicated by the anchor stamp).

I wonder whether cleaning it lowers its value.

Picture 12.png

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Kenny, it's really beautiful.

billyboo

Rough_Rock
I don't think they ever made anything gold that was 9K

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
billyboo said:
I don't think they ever made anything gold that was 9K

Who do you mean by "they"?

What's normal for gold qualities depends on what country you're in and time period. In the UK high street jewellery shops sells 9K and 18K gold. In the US chain jewellery shops sell 10K, 14K, and 18K. I collect antique and vintage rings and have a few that are hallmarked for 15K and 20K.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely find, Kenny! The markings on the links are very cool.

billyboo

Rough_Rock
in the US I meant..nothing below 10K which means it's likely from overseas someplace. I like it. Good $1 buy, Kenny

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love this. It's like an episode of Antiques Road Show.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That’s a popular bracelet style from the 1880’s all the way through WWI and it's a classic late Victorian piece. It looks to be in good condition (often the hinge and the catch on the locket are messed up on these), the markings indicate 9k and UK origin, which I believe but obviously I haven’t tested anything, and the style has been described nicely above. Good use of $1.

A

Anonymous

Wow, amazing find!! Congratulations! :bigsmile:

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
Kenny
Very interesting conversation with the owner of the antique jewelery place i linked to in a previous post, i think her name was Jane. I asked her if she has a key she said all the bracelet she has are without key and said good luck if you find one it will be very rare.
I will suggest to go back where you got it from if they are still around and it was not a moving sale and ask them about the key hopefully they may have it still.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results