shape
carat
color
clarity

what cut to get her??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asscherice

Rough_Rock
I love and have studied diamonds for a long time thanks to a great teacher... dad.
I am thinking about popping the question, and would like it to be a surprise. My girlfriend doesn''t know much about diamonds, but likes a square more than a round. I can''t swallow a princess cut... I feel like it''s the least beautiful. I can''t afford a Lucida... I''m a poor college student and would love to get more bang for my buck.
I LOVE the Asscher cut. I worry that it might be a risk buying it for her... what do you all think... is it risky? Should I swallow my pride and got the easy route with a nice princess or go with the Asscher.
How much does my opinion count in the matter.

Confused...

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I tend to think that your opinion in this matters quite a bit. After all, this is going to be a very sentimental gift from you to her. That said, it has to be weighed heavily against the fact that she is the one who will be wearing the ring for the rest of her life.

I thought that I wanted a princess cut before I got my e-ring. I just thought the square look was nicer than a round stone. However, my husband ended up getting me a RB. I was quickly won over by the round stone when he explained to me that he went with a RB because they are the most brilliant stone. I didn't know very much about diamonds until after I got my e-ring and now I am OBSESSED. The more I learn about diamonds, the more I am grateful that my husband did his homework and ended up with an awesome stone.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
It doesn't sound risky to me if she doesn't have a clear idea of what she wants other than square.

As long as you work with a jeweler with a lot of great stones and a good return policy, you can always trade it in if she is disappointed. However, if she hasn't told you anything specifically, then I would go for it. I have a feeling she'll be pleasantly surprised.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
If you know she definitely likes squares and are prepared to do some hard hunting, perhaps you could find a suitable square radiant. It sounds like branded squares might be out of your budget range (you mentioned a lucida was out of range). Just for variety's sake though, you might want to check out the Regents on Goodoldgold's site.

kroshka

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Sumi. You opinion counts a lot. I believe you should find a stone/ring that you both love since this is such a sentimental gift. Going with your gut with a stone that can be returned if she secretly does have someting in mind is a good idea.

asscherice

Rough_Rock
Thanks for such quick replies I love hearing your opinions...

I am also in love with the round brilliant... its my favorite, but if I can't go with the round brilliant I shy away from any brilliant.

My one big concern is that I've never seen an Asscher cut on anyone's finger that I know. That alone makes it a huge draw for me, but also makes me apprehensive. The more I see the stone the more I'm in love with it. I know all of you are diamond lovers... is Asscher more widely liked than I realize? Are there many who would be dissappointed in the stone?

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 3/15/2004 6:17:14 PM asscherice wrote:

Thanks for such quick replies I love hearing your opinions...

I am also in love with the round brilliant... its my favorite, but if I can't go with the round brilliant I shy away from any brilliant.

My one big concern is that I've never seen an Asscher cut on anyone's finger that I know. That alone makes it a huge draw for me, but also makes me apprehensive. The more I see the stone the more I'm in love with it. I know all of you are diamond lovers... is Asscher more widely liked than I realize? Are there many who would be dissappointed in the stone?

----------------

Hi asscherice,

Would pics of the stones on somebody's finger count? I think there are a few on the Show me The Ring forum. Otherwise I'd be help pointing out a few more for you.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I love asschers and emerald cuts. I have RB's (hubby loves them, so we compromise since they are from him, and I really like them also.) There is just something mesmerizing about the steps. There seem to have been a lot of posts about these two in the last few months so maybe a search would bring up some thoughts. Have you seen one in person? Maybe going to some local good stores to see them on the sales person's hand would be helpful.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I loooove Asschers. They are so elegant. You should check some out in person, I'm sure that will really help you make a decision.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
I feel your pain. My GF also likes the square shape, but has never indicated any particular cut, which just makes the job harder.

I also am not particularly warm towards Princess cuts either. What is hardest for me to be confident with is what... she... wants.

B/c ultimately, what she wants is what counts. The gift of the ring from me to her is an important gesture, but she has to wear it. And if she's happy then I'm happy.

The real issue is how to educate her without tipping her off (if you want to keep it a surprise like me).

Answer?

I have none. That's the boat I'm in. Currently, I'm researching Radiants, Queen of Hearts, Regents, etc. So stay tuned, and eventually.... I'll let you all know what I get.

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
Hey there asscherice. Of course your opinion counts! That makes it all the more special, knowing that you put thought into the ring, and that you really love it as well! If she likes square cuts, I think asscher is a beautiful alternative to the princess cut - and its a (semi)unique choice as well. If you are afraid she won't like it, perhaps look at the radiant cut or the regent cut. My personal favorite is the regent, to have the brilliance of a round in a squareish shape looks simply amazing to me. If you really don't like the princess cut, than don't get it. Especially if your girlfriend doesn't know much about diamonds, once you tell her all about the stone you *do* decide to get her she will probably love it just as much, and you all the more for it! I know before I knew anything about diamonds, my first impression was to go for the square cut, but the more I learn about jewelry, the more my tastes are changing and expanding. I think your girlfriend will admire the fact that you put a lot of thought into buying her diamond, and took a risk as well. As long as you don't go totally crazy with it (not saying that you would), I'm sure it will be beautiful. Good luck with whatever you choose - I'm sure she'll be thrilled!

asscherice

Rough_Rock
I think I'm gonna get some in from a favorite jeweler in the area. If you know of any places to find some on fingers that would be great. Thanks.
Asscherice

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I think you should go for it and get the asscher! It is a beautiful, classic shape, and I am sure you gf will be thrilled by it -- she may never even have seen one.

BTW, it is an old cut -- does your girlfriend tend to like antiques? If so, this cut may be even more appealing to her.

Good luck!

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 3/15/2004 7:23:12 PM Robyn12 wrote:

Hello,

I think you should go for it and get the asscher! It is a beautiful, classic shape, and I am sure you gf will be thrilled by it -- she may never even have seen one.

BTW, it is an old cut -- does your girlfriend tend to like antiques? If so, this cut may be even more appealing to her.

Good luck! ----------------

I was thinking the same thing that she may have never seen it - I doubt I would have, had I never came upon this site. I may have never seen a regent for that matter, and boy does that make me sad!
sad.gif
Hehe.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a pic of my Regent sparkling
10.gif

diaspzoom2a.JPG

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Regents are less "square" than some

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
HI diagonalman I will reply to your e-mail today

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Also if you are not in a rush you can wait for the new square that is coming see the thread "Upcoming Suprise" that stone is a squarer square, but should have great sparkle like the Regent

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
I am surprised no one has suggested this thread to you yet. There are many pictures of different shaped diamonds on hands and off. Happy looking!
love.gif

Yupi

Rough_Rock
asscherice,

If your girlfriend knows how much effort you put in just considering this gift for her, i really cannot see how she will feel unhappy.

I think asscher is very elegant choice - you've got taste ! The fact that you don't see a lot of people wearing it does not mean your girl will not like it.

BUT beware
eek.gif
: If your girl likes big tables or prefers the stone on her finger to "look" big, the setback to asscher is that it has a smaller table compare with other fancy cuts, and my experience of looking at them tells me they are deep and so a lot of the carat weight you pay you don't "see" it on the table.

Go to a store and ask for equal carat size and compare - you will understand what i mean. Good luck.

RoyalAsscher

Rough_Rock
give her the asscher
no doubt and maybe i can help
maybe i can find you a stone suiteble for your budget
if not just for your name
look at www.asscher.nl to get to know more
of how you are calling your self

best regards from amsterdam
mike asscher G.G.
5th generation of the Asscher family

asscherice

Rough_Rock

asscherice

Rough_Rock
I am overwhelmed by the response... thank you so much for the pics and the suggestions. The more I learn about the stones the more impressed I am. I kinda felt like I knew a lot before... think again.

The best part of it all is that the more effort that I put into it and the more I research the more special it will become. Whichever stone I get... and I have a feeling it will be Asscher... I've got a feeling that it will already come with some history.

Thanks you guys,
DB

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I'll be honest, Asschers are nice, but if she wanted a princess, and you can't stand it, have you seen a box radiant? I am a HUGE radiant fan, so I will disclose that right now. I am especially a fan of the Henry Grossbard, Original Radiant as seen on (http://www.radiantcut.com) I shamelessly plug the stones. I do. But if you are looking for a generic stone with good porportions, it may be tougher, but certainly not impossible.

Why I like radiants: because like a round brilliant, they were created to have a brilliant pattern on their pavillion, totally different than a princess with their triangular facets, and emit a sort of "cracked glass" set of tiny sparkles. The facets of a RB are larger and have generally more fire (color sparkles) and brilliance (white sparkles). The Radiant was created to have that same look, but be square. Plus I like the softness of it, due to the cut corners and it is not as "sharp" looking and severe as a princess can tend to be. That's just my opinion.

An Asscher is a wonderful stone! I ADORE them, but my fear is if she liked the princess for the square shape, then it's good! But if she likes the princess for the small sparkles, she won't get the same effect with an Asscher. Yes it does sparkle, but it's not made for brilliancy, it's just not. It has a sort of deep pool effect, and that is very understated and elegant, especially when set in a simple white metal solitaire (in my opinion).

But you know her best, so it she wants the shape and doesn't care about brilliancy, then go for it, but if you think she may, look into the Radiant stones, or even the Cushion cut or Flanders (which are more rare, and less square, but just as lovely!) Yes it's a gift from you, and I know she will love whatever you chose. Also, some women are pickier than others, and I bet yours won't be when she sees the lovely diamond you place on her finger!
9.gif

Good luck and let us know what you decide!!!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results