shape
carat
color
clarity

What cultural foods do you make?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I'm going to make this very soon. I appreciate the recipe!

I am trying it tonight ... and by ‘tonight’, I mean I am starting it right now. :dance:

I will let you know how it turns out! :appl:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While my Basmati simmers ... Kind of a funny story that goes with this restaurant & Oozie dish - and the timing of finding & making it right now:

20 years ago - right about this same time - I was pregnant with my DD. We were at dinner with our close friends at this very restaurant (Shish Kebab House). My (now-ex) husband was speaking Farsi with the owner and explaining to him who the couple with us were. As he was talking, he used a phrase that sounded so beautiful, I had him repeat it and explain what he said. We had been back and forth on names for our daughter for a few months, and decided right there that the word he’d spoken in Farsi would be her first name. And here we are, 20 years later, and I’m making the very dish that I used to order all the time there because I loved it so much.

Just had to share that quick story ... Now, back to cooking. :wavey:

Q

Queenie60

While my Basmati simmers ... Kind of a funny story that goes with this restaurant & Oozie dish - and the timing of finding & making it right now:

20 years ago - right about this same time - I was pregnant with my DD. We were at dinner with our close friends at this very restaurant (Shish Kebab House). My (now-ex) husband was speaking Farsi with the owner and explaining to him who the couple with us were. As he was talking, he used a phrase that sounded so beautiful, I had him repeat it and explain what he said. We had been back and forth on names for our daughter for a few months, and decided right there that the word he’d spoken in Farsi would be her first name. And here we are, 20 years later, and I’m making the very dish that I used to order all the time there because I loved it so much.

Just had to share that quick story ... Now, back to cooking. :wavey:
Our daughters are the same age! Mine is 20, turning 21 in September. I'll bet they look similar - that beautiful Middle Eastern look. IMG_0232.JPG She can't wait to come home for the summer to eat Kufta! Once again, thank you for the recipe.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MMMM! I love kufta, kofta, kefta, many different spellings all around the Middle East.

One of my favorite dishes from an Indian restaurant (one I cannot eat now unless I go off my current low-carb eating plan) is vegetable malai kofta. When I first saw this I wondered if it was related. I fell in love with the dish eons ago, but it is (as I said) vegetarian and when I eat it (ate it), I eat it with tons of creamy sauce and rice. (I also cannot stop eating it once I start!) I think I remember the sauce being almond flavored.

AGBF

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s done, and it’s delish! :lickout: I think it’s pretty close to how I remember it. Start to finish, this is a <30 minute meal, and would make a great weeknight dinner for the ease & simplicity! I did add a couple of items to the recipe - a can of garbanzo beans and a can of diced water chestnuts ... both moreso because we love them, I knew they wouldn’t really alter flavor, and I’m trying to clean out my pantry closet before we move. :mrgreen2:

0B4D82B7-7D63-4EE4-9C3F-D8D646224F43.jpeg

@Queenie60 Your daughter is absolutely stunning! Mine will be 20 this summer; she isn’t of Middle Eastern ethnicity though (her dad just spoke multiple languages), but she does actually have some similiar features to your DD. :wavey:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love:
Our daughters are the same age! Mine is 20, turning 21 in September. I'll bet they look similar - that beautiful Middle Eastern look. IMG_0232.JPG She can't wait to come home for the summer to eat Kufta! Once again, thank you for the recipe.
Beautiful girl! Ya Habibi! (means "beautiful one or beloved" in Arabic, one of the few words I know!}
Surely some of that beauty comes from the mother!:love:

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO Middle Eastern/Arab/Persian men are the most attractive in the world.
Likewise wherever they've spread their DNA over the centuries ... most Mediterranean countries, then in turn South/Central America, Mexico, in turn Southern California/Texas etc.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO Middle Eastern/Arab/Persian men are the most attractive in the world.
Same goes for wherever they've spread their DNA over the centuries ... most Mediterranean countries, then in turn onto South/Central America, Mexico etc.
Oh and Southern California too.
We know you like 'em dark, handsome and hairy, Kenny!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s done, and it’s delish! :lickout: I think it’s pretty close to how I remember it. Start to finish, this is a <30 minute meal, and would make a great weeknight dinner for the ease & simplicity! I did add a couple of items to the recipe - a can of garbanzo beans and a can of diced water chestnuts ... both moreso because we love them, I knew they wouldn’t really alter flavor, and I’m trying to clean out my pantry closet before we move. :mrgreen2:

0B4D82B7-7D63-4EE4-9C3F-D8D646224F43.jpeg

@Queenie60 Your daughter is absolutely stunning! Mine will be 20 this summer; she isn’t of Middle Eastern ethnicity though (her dad just spoke multiple languages), but she does actually have some similiar features to your DD. :wavey:
Wow, this looks delish! I will definitely try this recipe.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I just brought a huge jar of Baharat back fro
Israel but didn’t have a recipe to use it in! Thanks for sharing this one! Can’t wait to try it!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DD gave it her 2 thumbs up as well, and said ‘winner winner chicken dinner’. :lol:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this thread because the recipes seem fairly simply and sound delicious :wavey: That said I have nothing to add because I'm a terrible cook and I never make anything worth posting.

I might try that chicken themotherthing made because she says it's like less than 30 minutes (although I will have to add at least another 15 because well, it's me.) :D

kenny how long does yours take to make about?

queenie your daughter is absolutely stunning. And those eyebrows. Gorgeous.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I make (Ukrainian) nachynka. Cornmeal casserole--or soufflé.

cheers--Sharon

Q

Queenie60

HI:

I make (Ukrainian) nachynka. Cornmeal casserole--or soufflé.

cheers--Sharon
Please explain this!!! Would love to know more of the ingredients and spices:wavey:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oliebolen, a deep fried, heat-raised dough ball that's traditionally served in the Netherlands on New Years Eve and New Years Day. It's made with raisins or dried currants. And rolled in powdered sugar. Apple Friiers are probably the closest American dish, but oliebollen are much lighter. Here in the US, my parents often made them in the garage (in a deep fryer) with the garage door open. The neighborhood kids would smell the cooking oliebollen and come around for a treat!

I've also made lots of soups that I associate with Holland, particularly vegetable, tomato, and cream of spinach soups. All are made with little meatballs that are boiled as part of the stock. I don't make split pea soup - very Dutch - too often. I did make it recently, complete with meat from a few ham hocks, and it was delicious!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My MIL has taught me a few dishes, but I rarely make them due to the time involved. One of my favourites is Chana batata (chickpea potato curry). When I first started dating my husband, I swear she must have thought I'd never eaten because I would eat like 5 bowls of this haha. They eat it like a stew, so no rice with the curry.
A new favourite, not my culture, is nam tok. Thai dish, basically grilled meat(chicken pork or beef) that is then sliced thin and marinated in a dressing (fish sauce, lime, mint, onions) and served with rice or as a salad. Yum yum.

Q

Queenie60

My MIL has taught me a few dishes, but I rarely make them due to the time involved. One of my favourites is Chana batata (chickpea potato curry). When I first started dating my husband, I swear she must have thought I'd never eaten because I would eat like 5 bowls of this haha. They eat it like a stew, so no rice with the curry.
A new favourite, not my culture, is nam tok. Thai dish, basically grilled meat(chicken pork or beef) that is then sliced thin and marinated in a dressing (fish sauce, lime, mint, onions) and served with rice or as a salad. Yum yum.
Sounds delicious!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I grew up living all over the world but currently live in the US. Being mostly of Chinese/Japanese ethnicity myself, and hubby being Korean, my kids definitely eat all kinds of Asian cuisine. But besides the 3 main ethnicities that my kids are made up of, I frequently cook Thai, Indian and Vietnamese (pho) . I also make a lot of Mexican (Chilaquiles last night), and Middle Eastern (Koobideh, basmati rice, cucumber salad, humus).

Edited to add that even though we eat a lot of International cuisines in our house, we also eat a lot of standard American stuff, sandwiches, cereal, mac N cheese, chicken casseroles, pizza, etc. Much easier for the working mom....I only make "fancy" stuff on the weekends

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny how long does yours take to make about?

Gosh I don't pay attention but maybe an hour.
But then, 30 minutes of that is waiting for the warm mixture to cool in the fridge ...
But then, that's when I chop the veges.

So, I'd say about an hour, but that's not all work time, some is wait time when you can post on PS. :bigsmile:
You can eat it immediately, but if I'm making it for others I let it chill in the fridge for 24 hours.
It tastes better the next day.

So I might say 25 hours.

Sorry you asked yet? :shifty:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad I actually looked through my alerts I didn't remember I had asked you this kenny.

Thank you. :)

I might venture to make it one day.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the dishes of my ethnicity are meatloaf and macaroni and cheese. And killer pecan Christmas cookies and all kinds of pies. My ethnicity is kind of boring midwestern wasp. But I live in NJ and my favorite food of all time is Italian so I make a few of those dishes pretty well, bring on the garlic. My son's girlfriend is from India and she loves to cook and so I often have tasty Indian curry concoctions to snack on. I haven't tried to make anything on my own yet.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband bakes the best lamingtons.... :lickout:
8B23026A-0200-44F8-BA00-3C5F28FE6E3A.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband bakes the best lamingtons.... :lickout:
8B23026A-0200-44F8-BA00-3C5F28FE6E3A.jpeg

:love: Those look DEEEELISH! If you don’t mind sharing the recipe, I’d love to give them a whirl for my hubby who loves coconut!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry his lamington recipe is his mum’s one and it’s a family secret! But guessing they’re all quite similar - essentially it’s a light vanilla sponge cake, dipped into runny/thin chocolate, drain then quickly roll in desiccated coconut. Need to be baked in quite a shallow square tray. Some people cut them in half once cool and add jam & cream in the middle.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry his lamington recipe is his mum’s one and it’s a family secret! But guessing they’re all quite similar - essentially it’s a light vanilla sponge cake, dipped into runny/thin chocolate, drain then quickly roll in desiccated coconut. Need to be baked in quite a shallow square tray. Some people cut them in half once cool and add jam & cream in the middle.

YUM! If I had someone making me these cakes--I'D EAT THEM ALL!:lickout:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please explain this!!! Would love to know more of the ingredients and spices:wavey:

I posted the recipe and technique for House Cat a few years ago....but can't find it. lol There are NO spices outside of salt and white pepper--it is just rich and fluffy. It would be a good side dish to spicy cuisine--quell the heat. My fav.

cheers--Sharon

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

O
M
G

I would SO be adding jam to these :lickout:

So glad you're not posting the recipe :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results