shape
carat
color
clarity

What cultural foods do you make?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love coconut, but I love moist cakes and the lamingtons do not look moist enough for me. I discovered tres leches cakes about ten years ago. I have never made one, but I have bought squares of them in specialty stores. If I allowed myself to eat them I would weigh 600 pounds! A more moist coconut cake instead of a sponge cake made with coconut would be my ideal dessert. When I first saw those lamingtons (which I had never heard of, either), I thought they looked like heaven. Sponge cake doesn't do it for me, however.

I should post a recipe from my own family. I know i have done so before-but not in this thread. I have made variations on the simpler of my family's Slovak recipes. I never tried the more difficult ones alone, although I used to make them at my grandmother's side. (At this past Easter we just discussed how my brother and cousins and I used to make homemade noodles and pierogies, which we pronounce puh-daw-kee, with our grandmother). And how my mother was a disappointment to her father because she could never equal her mother at making pierogies!

The photo below is not one I took. I found it on the 'net. I wanted people to know what pierogies looked like, though. I prefer them soft with butter, not hard and fried. They can be lightly fried, however, after boiling. My favorites are potato pierogies. the combination of potato and noodle with butter is a knockout!

AGBF

Pierogi.jpg

Last edited:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I discovered tres leches cakes about ten years ago. I have never made one, but I have bought squares of them in specialty stores. If I allowed myself to eat them I would weigh 600 pounds!

AGBF, my favorite dessert EVER.

My DH and I recently went to a local Mexican restaurant we had never been to before and much to my delight they had it on the menu. The waiter told us that the owner's wife makes it personally from scratch. But they didn't want to serve it to us because it was so fresh that they had not even had the time yet to put the cream they usually put on top. So we told them it was totally OK and to please let us have a piece. It was probably one of the best Tres Leches I ever had.

Hmmmm. Maybe we should be going back soon. ::)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhhh @AGBF I LOVE pierogies the same way ... soft, a little butter and some pepper. :lickout:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love coconut, but I love moist cakes and the lamingtons do not look moist enough for me. I discovered tres leches cakes about ten years ago. I have never made one, but I have bought squares of them in specialty stores. If I allowed myself to eat them I would weigh 600 pounds! A more moist coconut cake instead of a sponge cake made with coconut would be my ideal dessert. When I first saw those lamingtons (which I had never heard of, either), I thought they looked like heaven. Sponge cake doesn't do it for me, however.

I should post a recipe from my own family. I know i have done so before-but not in this thread. I have made variations on the simpler of my family's Slovak recipes. I never tried the more difficult ones alone, although I used to make them at my grandmother's side. (At this past Easter we just discussed how my brother and cousins and I used to make homemade noodles and pierogies, which we pronounce puh-daw-kee, with our grandmother). And how my mother was a disappointment to her father because she could never equal her mother at making pierogies!

The photo below is not one I took. I found it on the 'net. I wanted people to know what pierogies looked like, though. I prefer them soft with butter, not hard and fried. They can be lightly fried, however, after boiling. My favorites are potato pierogies. the combination of potato and noodle with butter is a knockout!

AGBF

Pierogi.jpg
Ahhhh.....pierogies! Love 'em. So doughy and carbolicious! I like to lightly pan fry mine along with the onions.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Totally missed this thread before
Now who's place am i crashing for dinner !

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve spent the last 2 days helping my DIL prep and cook Vietnamese food. We made something called Saitan chicken, which isn’t actually chicken but a vegetarian substitute. Also made some rice noodle, chive and egg pockets, and a chick pea and spinach dish all flavoured with spices.

rockefeller

Rough_Rock
Argentina: Eat anything with beef in it, especially just a nice steak. Also, try the empanadas. Ground beef, caramelized onions, green olives, hard-boiled eggs, and raisins, seasoned with cumin. Yum!

Indian food is probably cheating since I make it several times a week.

For non-Indian food, my go to cuisines are Chinese, Thai, Lebanese and Italian; in that order.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Argentina: Eat anything with beef in it, especially just a nice steak. Also, try the empanadas. Ground beef, caramelized onions, green olives, hard-boiled eggs, and raisins, seasoned with cumin. Yum!

I haven't tried to make empanadas at home yet. There is a family from Argentina running a small restaurant serving empanadas. They even sell them in local gas stations and other places. So delicious!

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Delicious thread.

I am reminded of when my wife and I made our first dinner invitation to a couple at my last Marine posting, the I & I detachment at Pico Rivera, CA. (Instruction and Inspection - I.E. Training and harassing the Marine Corps reservists. We got one weekend per month and two weeks each summer to try to keep them up to speed should they ever get called up, like they did for Sadam Insane's incursion into Kuwait and again when we decided to go back after 911.)

We had been just arrived and were going to make friends with the other Marines at this small detachment. This was our first "reach out," I had just returned a month or two ago from my unaccompanied posting in Okinawa. It was actually the first time I was with Resa for more than a few days since we had gotten married halfway through my tour in Okinawa.

We bought a nice freezer and half a cow so we could cook some great T-bone steaks. Resa poured over the recipes my mom had given her and came up with the sides. I did not yet have a grill, so the steaks were cooked in the oven. (I know, a serious insult to all of the ethnic Texans who believe the grill is the only way to cook an excellent steak.)

First words out of his mouth, was, "Hmmm, we don't usually eat steak at home, only hamburger." "Yes, his wife agreed, we are not used to this at all."

We had a secret family recipe for a wonderful wine jello dessert. Him, "Does this jello have alcohol in it?"

Me, "Yes".

Her, "We don't eat alcohol, we drink it."

When they finally left, after a lengthy and very boring card game they insisted on teaching us, Resa sobbed for what seemed forever. Our first attempt at entertaining others was a disaster.

As those of you who were at our get together a couple of years ago know, entertaining has never been a problem since. I have cooked for groups of up to eighty people at our home and really enjoyed the two dinners we served at the get together.

I am please to say, we have never had another disaster.

Wink

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I made Dokguk tonight. It is a Korean rice cake soup. This is a homestyle dish not often found in korean restaurants. My husband is Korean American, and I consider it a cultural dish, taught to me by my FIL.

I’m the soup is made with bone broth, sliced beef, pounded rice cake (ovals), dumplings. The condiments added before serving is shredded toasted Seaweed, julienned egg, green onions. Perfect for a cozy fall supper.

Attachments

• AEAA87A4-C21A-4689-B058-1C6421153D44.jpeg
    AEAA87A4-C21A-4689-B058-1C6421153D44.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 29
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results