shape
carat
color
clarity

What CS should I put in my original e-ring?

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
791920CA-191A-47E5-A59F-77413F0A37C3.png CCE7893E-35FE-4A0B-A230-E3FA54C3D0AC.png 0D3EA544-B14B-4EA5-94FE-E074314B190F.png I just started a thread over in RT for specific setting ideas (new head needed for my original e-ring):
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-peg-head-for-original-e-ring-stuller.236713/

I will need a calibrated stone, and most of the Stuller settings accept 5 mm up to 7.5, and some even go up to 8.2 mm.

I’m thinking a halo peg head with a round stone, but I’m open to other cuts, as well.

For stones, I’m thinking about blues/greens/purples. I already have a blue zircon, so that’s out. We have traveled to Montana as a family a few times (even panned at Gem Moubtain!), so a Montana sapphire appeals to me... I love the bicolor and color shift ones! DH said he wants an emerald in there.:mrgreen2: We both also like tanzanite. And spinels are also high on the list!

Anyone want to help me spend my money? :lol: I’d love your ideas!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spinel or sapphire are good choices, anything 8 and above on the hardness scale is more appropriate for an ering. Zircon isn't durable enough for everyday wear. Chrysoberyl is very durable and hard but only comes in a golden yellow or greenish yellow, unless you opt for alexandrite, which is difficult to find in a nice gem.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How hard are you on your rings?
How often will you wear this ring?
What is your budget?

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Spinel or sapphire are good choices, anything 8 and above on the hardness scale is more appropriate for an ering. Zircon isn't durable enough for everyday wear. Chrysoberyl is very durable and hard but only comes in a golden yellow or greenish yellow, unless you opt for alexandrite, which is difficult to find in a nice gem.

I’m sorry, I didn’t make that clear—although this is my original e-ring setting, it will be only an occasional right hand ring. The halo is only a “must” for me if I get that speck of gorgeous emerald that needs to be protected. I do love the idea of a halo with any gemstone—I don’t own any!—but I’m not sure if I can find a halo peg head that suits this shank...

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How hard are you on your rings?
How often will you wear this ring?
What is your budget?

I have a BB spess garnet that I’ve knocked a couple of times. :( I plan to wear this ring once or twice a week after the honeymoon phase... I do take my rings off when doing work/at the sink/shower/bed.

A couple more details were in the RT link I have up there (shank is actually platinum/18k yellow gold that I always rhodium plated). Budget is $1500-2K for the entire project. Less would be better so I can save faster for my 5-stone dream ring!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a side view of the setting? The halo will be useless as additional protection of the stone if the stone is set too high above the halo.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I find that aspect of the Stuller site to be very frustrating as a consumer! Some pieces are shown with stones and many views, and some are not. I wonder if vendors have more complete views of finished pieces if they have an account? A friend and I are going to go in to our local shop next week to ask some questions and see what they have. I don’t mind going with a beautiful sapph or spinel that will do fine without a halo. :razz:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tanzanite is one of the least durable stones.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sapphire or spinel! Purple spinel?
https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p313/2.14_ct_Purple_Burmese_Spinel.html
Or tanzanite would be lovely too. You could get a nice spinel or tanzanite within your budget!

That is a nice sized stone! I want a more vibrant color for what I will eventually choose... I will sacrifice size for the color, no problem (with a halo, lol). The nice thing about sapphs and spinels is that the come in a rainbow, so lots of choices. If I end up with tanzanite I’d probably have a very small stibe, because I’d want that vivid purple blue. Not pastel at all! I like that website.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
E5A7D1FC-5238-4C34-9626-6D7FAD0BEE65.png E0E0AA49-8BF6-490E-A293-DFAC35E3FD75.png
Tanzanite is one of the least durable stones.

Yes, and I do want to sure this ring will be wearable. I found this little cluster peg head setting, but not sure how it would look with my shank? But the center stone would be protected from all sides except for head-on (table).

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
4294360E-77B5-4130-993D-3F00F6C30D0F.png
Do you have a side view of the setting? The halo will be useless as additional protection of the stone if the stone is set too high above the halo.

@chrono As I said above, I’m not sure about the Stuller side views, but here is what I put in my imaginary cart at wildfish gems today. Also imagine the gorgeous stoplight red ruby and neon green emerald that I couldn’t find in a suitable size/shape/price configuration. But the cluster setting above only calls for a 2.8 round. :)

Here is that cart! I LOVE vivid jewel tones, but these are also high on my list—the bicolor/multicolor... they seem to glow. I got my dd a pre-loved bicolor sapph pendant from @woofmama a few years ago and it is magical.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I went to the local jeweler today with a friend. We plopped some shapes in just to see what I liked in this ring.

None of these actual stones appealed to me, but I was surprised how much I liked the pear and trillion shapes! I also realized that I don’t want a large stone in this ring, because it changes the entire look of *my* ring—the one I looked at for over 15 years before the reset! 5-6 mm seems about right to me, because the halo will also add size.

I’m wearing my B.B. spessartite garnet in a vintage setting on my ring finger. It is not looking too alive here (it literally glows in some lighting), so I don’t think any of these gems were really shining. They’re all spinels. The custom guy that did my anniversary band was helping me and his desk is not where the showcases and spotlights are.

5E46E901-B20E-4822-8FE6-598115EF999B.jpeg
E8E326D9-C92D-4248-9B74-05CC212D95DF.jpeg E0E732D5-A6B1-4B5A-A21A-286D045CBC3E.jpeg

The round reddish spinel was 5.6 mm diameter. With a halo, that will be a nice size for this ring, I think. Here is the halo we were looking at—

(Two versions—opinions on these?)

https://www.stuller.com/products/28796/?groupId=116852&recommendationSource=SiteSearch

https://www.stuller.com/products/28795/?groupId=116856&recommendationSource=SiteSearch

Opinions on the shapes? Round has the advantage of many more halo options from Stuller!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results