shape
carat
color
clarity

IDEAS needed! New peg head for original e-ring (Stuller)

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My poor original e-ring setting... sitting lonely for a couple of years now in that dark jewelry box! It’s time for me to make a decision! My oval diamond actually FELL OUT of this ring because I didn’t listen to my jeweler’s recommendation to get a new head. Luckily, my 10-year-old found the diamond on the kitchen floor and DH and I got a beautiful new setting for it that year.

Here’s the thread about the reset:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/early-anniversary-reset-1-carat-oval-with-pave.204946/

I want to have this ring be wearable again! It’s a decently heavy platinum setting with two wisps of yellow gold (one on each side). I always rhodium plated those, but I’m thinking of exposing the 18k yellow gold for this restoration.

I’m open to all suggestions! What peg heads should I consider? What colored stone should I get? I plan to ask the CS ladies shopping details for that bit, but general suggestions welcome.

What I want:
—Stuller peg head
—decent finger coverage for a size 7.5 (halo?)
—ideas for the colored stone—I would prefer something other than oval shape. I like step cuts, but I don’t care for princess. I don’t have any round CS, so that’s what I’ve been leaning toward in my search. The local jeweler actually plopped a trillion spinel in there a couple of years ago, and I was surprised how much that shape appealed to me in the setting.
—budget is around $1500-$2K for everything. Less would be great, as I’m saving for a Cartier trinity ring and a five-stone anniversary band. :lol:
9DEAF45C-04ED-4AA0-9A03-F11B35D726AE.png 3D343280-0F02-4218-9AB3-6A686AB6B4B6.png 2A6E3D4C-8BB5-4ACB-8BB2-D96920EDE420.png D6BE411E-53BB-4373-A9DB-F3E3F3818D5C.png

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you tied to this setting for sentimental reasons? I almost think you would be better off buying a colored gemstone halo ring preloved with your budget.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are you tied to this setting for sentimental reasons? I almost think you would be better off buying a colored gemstone halo ring preloved with your budget.

@nala — yes, I really want to preserve this ring and be able to wear it. It is very special to us. :kiss2: Maybe I should consider a simpler setting (no halo) and putting that money toward the growing list of projects I have! :Up_to_something:

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bumping this back up for any suggestions!

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I would suggest you start with the stone. Not the head. Find a stone you love. And then search for a head for it. Colored stones, since so many are deep, are cut to different standards than diamonds. So a diamond head might not work for a colored stone of the same diameter and shape. Find a stone that makes your heart happy, then go from there.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would suggest you start with the stone. Not the head. Find a stone you love. And then search for a head for it. Colored stones, since so many are deep, are cut to different standards than diamonds. So a diamond head might not work for a colored stone of the same diameter and shape. Find a stone that makes your heart happy, then go from there.

This may be why I’m struggling to get this set and back on my finger—I keep weighing both parts equally (setting and stone). Thanks for the input—I’ll keep thinking! I definitely want an intense color and not a pastel.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Be honest with yourself about how often you'll wear the ring when you shop for colored stones. I have several I haven't set because every time I think about how often I'll wear the ring (especially if it's sized for my left hand and not my right) I can't justify the expense. On the other hand, I have a vintage moonstone RHR that I wear all the time.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I miss your car avatar, Gypsy. :) You’re right, this will be a very occasional RHR, done mostly for sentimental reasons. I have a B.B. spess garnet that I got from preloved here years ago (unset). I have it in a 50’s vintage setting and I only wear it about twice a month. After the honeymoon phase of this rings completion, it will probably be a once a month ring. But it is very special as I wore it 24/7 for 15 years. I want to do something nice with it to pass down to one of my girls someday.

BlingBlingLova

Shiny_Rock
Premium
IMG_2238.JPG IMG_2239.JPG IMG_2238.JPG Kristen here are my rings below. The stone is set in a double shank with eternity pave and surrounded by two eternity bands. I just received it last week and I am still head over heels in love! The rings are actually very dirty because I have not have them cleaned since last week! But when they are clean, watch out! It is a very dramatic statement and sometimes I wish I didn't design the ring to be so obnoxious and in your face but in my world, there is it such thing as too big or flashy when it comes to diamonds hayyyyyyyy

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I miss your car avatar, Gypsy. :) You’re right, this will be a very occasional RHR, done mostly for sentimental reasons. I have a B.B. spess garnet that I got from preloved here years ago (unset). I have it in a 50’s vintage setting and I only wear it about twice a month. After the honeymoon phase of this rings completion, it will probably be a once a month ring. But it is very special as I wore it 24/7 for 15 years. I want to do something nice with it to pass down to one of my girls someday.

@LaylaR I meant to type CAT avatar before! Not car. ;-)

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
@LaylaR I meant to type CAT avatar before! Not car. ;-)
=)2 I miss it too, Kristen. I miss her even more.
It's nice to be back on PS though. I've missed everyone.

What are your favorite or most worn colors?

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
=)2 I miss it too, Kristen. I miss her even more.
It's nice to be back on PS though. I've missed everyone.

What are your favorite or most worn colors?

I am definitely a “jewel-toned” gal. Red is my favorite color, but I love purple and blue. The six bridesmaids at our wedding wore silver dresses with shades of blue and purple sashes around the waist and down the length of the back of the gown. And tanzanite is a December birthstone (when we got engaged), so I thought that might be a nice stone to use. One type of stone that I really do love is bicolor sapphires. I got my daughter one a couple of years ago and it is gorgeous. Hers is blue-gold. I’ve seen some purple-yellow (or orange) ones that look like a gorgeous sunset.

A big concern of mine is that a halo might not look right with this particular shank. What do you think?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results