shape
carat
color
clarity

What color would you put in here?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear my rings if I go out someplace..hardly ever. A couple days a week to work, and then if we happen to go someplace. Sometimes I put them on just to feel sparkly when I go get groceries! Never outside doing yardwork or inside cleaning. I could probably go to $1000 for the stone..1-2 cts I guess. I should play around w/millimeter sizes to see how big they are.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
After all the info I can safely say that your lavender options are:

- sapphire
- spinel
- amethyst (can be found in such shades, but not easily in such small sizes - small for amethysts)
- tanzanite (lighter shades can be quite lavender - HERE's one way inside your budget)

Maybe I missed some, but these would be the obvious choices and easiest to source.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ma Re! I think sapphire or spinel..are there advantages to either? Do I just contact the vendors mentioned before and ask if they have any lavender rough that they can cut w/chunky facets? When looking at their sites, I notice some are either pinkish or bluish-would one look better than the other w/the yg setting and platinum bezel?

I haven''t heard back from the woman I was emailing at Caleb Meyer yet, so I''m still not sure if they only use their own stones...I hope they''ll accept from another vendor!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Sapphire vs. spinel, none is really better than the other, but they are different. Sapphire is somewhat harder (more resistant to scratches), but spinel is a bit tougher (harder to chip or damage similarly). Their colors are also different, with sapphire generally having a bit more intense and warmer shades, but it''s not a rule. It''s brilliance is also not as strong or sharp due to it having a lower refractive index and lacking birefringence (if you want an explanation, feel free to ask). So if you''d like something of "weaker color" and "more sparkly", go with spinel, otherwise, go with sapphire. Oh, sapphire will certainly be more expensive, but both can be bought with your budget. Regarding cutting, I''d try calling some of the cutters usually mentioned here, and start from there. Pinkish vs. bluish, don''t know about you, but I call those pinkish shades lilac and only use lavender for bluish violet ones - that''s why I didn''t recommend anything pinkish in that list above.

Hope this helps.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the explanations Ma Re! I would say lavender spinel based on what you replied. I''m glad too about the pinkish/bluish-I was hoping you would say bluish b/c that''s what I''m drawn more towards. Thanks for your help! I hope I hear from CM soon so I can get started looking!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I finally got over my hesitation and emailed Barry! He doesn''t have what I''m looking for but will keep his eye out he said. The color I want is hard to come by lately, but that''s ok-depending on the price, we might not have the money to get the stone now anyway. He did tell me about a stone he sold clear back in ''98 that he wished he had back..powder blue w/ a hint of lavender..doesn''t that sound so pretty??? Anyway, I''m just so excited to have started on my own project, even tho it will be a while before it''s done!

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
Love the setting!!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lavender spinel in that bezel setting would be lovely. So now the search is on for the stone. What mm size are you aiming for? It has to be a square, right?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Bookworm!

I asked Barry for a chunky antique cushion shape. That''s like an OEC/OMC with just more a rounded square shape right? You''d think after being here so long I''d have the jargon down by now haha. I''m still unsure about the size..I told him 6-8mm-I have no clue really..I''ve been cutting pieces of paper out and doing a balancing act on my finger trying to figure it out. I like the way the setting tapers in to meet the bezel, so I don''t want the stone to be so big that the tapering isn''t visible. Any suggestions?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends on what your finger size is. My size 6.5 is about 18mm across. My 8.3mm spinel takes over around half of my finger. I''ll be able to tell you more about that once it''s set.
9.gif

CBL

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I thought about a CM setting for my heirloom diamond and they were totally willing to do that; doubt they would have a problem with setting your stone unless they worry about it being too soft.

I like big stones...I''d go 8 mm. :)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
How about a visit to some local jeweller just to try out some rings with stones of different sizes?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool setting. Glad you''ve decided on a stone and have a color range to go with. I''d probably go 8mm depending on the size of your finger. That would get you very nice finger coverage.

Hope you find out soon about the setting. Is this for an ering?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My finger''s about a 4 or 4.25 ..would 8mm cover too much?

Heard from Barry again..boy I sure got my heart set on a hard color to find! He said he begged his supplier for some rough and will let me know how it turns out.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stone Hunter, yep, I''m planning on a new engagement ring!

Ma Re, that''s a good idea..I''ve got time the next few days, so I''ll go bother our local jeweler!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2009 7:20:59 PM
Author: packrat
Stone Hunter, yep, I''m planning on a new engagement ring!

Ma Re, that''s a good idea..I''ve got time the next few days, so I''ll go bother our local jeweler!

Cool...! Color stone e-rings are so much fun.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 12:55:51 PM
Does it matter if it''s garnet, spinel or sapphire, or would they all be equally fine to choose from, and do equally well w/chunkier facets? I went to some sites yesterday and saved pictures of colors I like..I think it might come down to eeney meeney miney mo. I found some green sapphire colors, a mint garnet, and a couple blues and lavenders. At this point I''m leaning towards green or lavender.

Lavender would be beautiful!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think so too! I think it will be simple, feminine, unique and very me!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! When are you looking to get it?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wish now, but we have to have the fundage first. Barry''s looking for rough for the stone. He said the supplier is sending him some and he''d let me know..I told him I''m going to check out mm sizes so I can narrow it down a little..I''m starting to think 8mm now..Miss Can''t Make Up Her Mind here. I figure we can probably swing the stone first, and then I''ll have to wait on the setting for a while. I just know it will be antique chunky cushion lavender spinel!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
That ring will be gorgeous! You also made a good choice to work with Barry. Out of all cutters that PS''ers frequently visit, I will say that Barry is my #1 recommendation. When he finds the rough, ask him if he can do the 8 extra facet to his round brilliant cut, that will make the stone ultra bright - unless you don''t want that.
21.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you seen Gem 695?

Link

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Freke, that stone is gorgeous! I love that color!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2009 11:29:24 PM
I wish now, but we have to have the fundage first. Barry''s looking for rough for the stone. He said the supplier is sending him some and he''d let me know..I told him I''m going to check out mm sizes so I can narrow it down a little..I''m starting to think 8mm now..Miss Can''t Make Up Her Mind here. I figure we can probably swing the stone first, and then I''ll have to wait on the setting for a while. I just know it will be antique chunky cushion lavender spinel!
Ah that will be just perfectly lovely!!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/14/2009 1:12:54 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Have you seen Gem 695?

Link

Very pretty. But Tanzanite is softer and shouldn''t be worn every day and she wants this for an ering. Maybe you were you just showing her this for color ideas?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
K, so I heard back from CM today. She said they prefer to use their own stones. She didn''t actually say they *wouldn''t* use others I guess. When I do get the stone, what do I do then? Should I just call them anyway and ask? Or do I need to be on the hunt for a different setting?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
If they "prefer" not to use outside stones, that to me says they wouldn''t use a stone you had unless it was approved by them or a very special piece with significance (like an inherited stone, maybe). I would clarify, but if they hold firm, what about James Meyer? I know he takes outside stones.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the reply Monkey Pie! I did see a ring at JM''s that I like muy mucho, but I''m not sure how it would look w/the stone I want. I had it so clear in my head w/the other setting how awesome it would be. argh! Well, we''ll see...I don''t even have the stone yet, and it will still be a while once I do get the stone before we can afford the setting! Nothing like putting the cart before the horse!

eng-C.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results