shape
carat
color
clarity

What color walls for a small kitchen?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Green-ish counters, yellow/cream travertine, warm yellow walls, except for the red one. It looks orange, but it really IS a brick red. Just one wall...

kitchen sink.jpg

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...a tiny bit of the wall that POPS

red wall.jpg

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
We have blue walls and I LOVE them. We color matched the paint to a cover of a book we have, but we still have a can of paint around if anyone would like me to list off what exactly went into it. These pictures were taken when we were still doing the final touches on the kitchen, but you get the idea.

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 9:19:40 PM
Author: ksinger
Green-ish counters, yellow/cream travertine, warm yellow walls, except for the red one. It looks orange, but it really IS a brick red. Just one wall...

I really like the color of your counters...I''m looking to either add hardware and trip to the existing flat panel cabinet doors..and hopefully would look something like what you have. If not I''ll just buy new doors since the cabinets themselves are in solid good condition.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Restoration Hardware has a color called Silver Sage, I believe it''s a color they paint their stores inside. It''s such a gorgeous color that I''m dying to use it somewhere. I think that''d be great with white cabinets.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2009 7:38:54 AM
Author: makemepretty
Restoration Hardware has a color called Silver Sage, I believe it''s a color they paint their stores inside. It''s such a gorgeous color that I''m dying to use it somewhere. I think that''d be great with white cabinets.

thanks gonna look that up now!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I painted my last condo in Silver Sage, though I had it matched and used Behr paint. It''s very neutral and though it''s a pale color, it reads almost colorless once it''s on the wall. Easy to live with.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I still have my original cabinets from 1920/30s and painted white. It has an offwhite counter top so I painted offwhite as the backsplash color and a copper brown everywhere else because my favorite kitchen accent is copper. I wish they made copper appliances in my budget!

0108091911123.jpg

Erin

Ideal_Rock
But I still painted some walls that offwhite color and kept the trim white

kitchencopper123.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2009 10:43:11 AM
Author: purrfectpear
I painted my last condo in Silver Sage, though I had it matched and used Behr paint. It''s very neutral and though it''s a pale color, it reads almost colorless once it''s on the wall. Easy to live with.

LOVE this color PP. We have the same color in our downstairs bathroom.

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 1:26:23 PM
Author: elledizzy5
Really quickly, since I''m home for lunch.
love love love this color...really is like an ice blue..so fresh...has me thinking...new remodeling plan??
27.gif

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Blen, what a fun color in the kitchen!

Ksinger, love that touch of red :)

I have a small kitchen and I went for color and I'm sooooo glad I did. I love my apple green kitchen! When we first got the color on, before we had moved in all the appliances, I was second guessing the brightness of the color and just how much it stood out. But once everything was moved in, it was a lot more tame and gave just the right amount of fun to the kitchen.

Here are a few pics.

Library - 7057.jpg

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
and pic#2

Library - 7058.jpg

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
What pretty kitchens everyone has!!

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
I love splashbacks but painting the kitchen with bold colours is another way to achieve the look will saving some money at the same time
1.gif

Turquiose

56480020.jpg

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
Green

56480010.jpg

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
Red

splashback_redkitchen.jpg

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
Purple

splashback4.jpg

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
you ladies ROCK! I''m so thankful to you all for your ideas and for taking the time to post pics. This REALLY Helps me...
35.gif

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
ooo Danielle....really niiice pics..those are great ideas!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
We were going to do a full kitchen overhaul, but when DH lost his job, we had to modify plans. I painted the original cabinetry a slight off-white and DH hung some drywall and made a built in display cabinet. I figured the light from it and the added architecture would be a good way to add some charm. I chose a really pretty green specifically because it didn''t make the kitchen feel any smaller. And, believe me, it''s small!! I chose that particular green because I didn''t have it in my budget to update the counters or floors, the green holds its own but becomes a nice neutral color that doesn''t bring out the silly pink counters!

sskitch1green.jpg

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
this shows how tiny it is

It''s soo much better than it was before though. We definitely bought a fixer upper!

sskitch2green.jpg

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2009 2:11:21 PM
Author: somethingshiny
We were going to do a full kitchen overhaul, but when DH lost his job, we had to modify plans. I painted the original cabinetry a slight off-white and DH hung some drywall and made a built in display cabinet. I figured the light from it and the added architecture would be a good way to add some charm. I chose a really pretty green specifically because it didn''t make the kitchen feel any smaller. And, believe me, it''s small!! I chose that particular green because I didn''t have it in my budget to update the counters or floors, the green holds its own but becomes a nice neutral color that doesn''t bring out the silly pink counters!

thanks for posting pics. I like this color green...I''m also going to paint my cabinets (they are awful) and hope the paint looks good on the cabinets too

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/23/2009 3:25:28 AM
Author: sunkist
Blen, what a fun color in the kitchen!

Ksinger, love that touch of red :)

I have a small kitchen and I went for color and I''m sooooo glad I did. I love my apple green kitchen! When we first got the color on, before we had moved in all the appliances, I was second guessing the brightness of the color and just how much it stood out. But once everything was moved in, it was a lot more tame and gave just the right amount of fun to the kitchen.

Here are a few pics.
Thanks! And comin'' back atcha. LOVE that green! So cheerful and bright. If I had been brave enough (and my husband''s eyebrow wouldn''t have been permanently UP) I''d have chosen just that color. So fun!!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 1:37:35 PM
Author: Haven
One of my favorite things to do is to drool over beautiful kitchen pictures that come up in a Google image search. I recommend it!

I plan on refacing our kitchen cabinets with white beadboard, and I''m thinking about painting the walls a buttery yellow or a pale, pale green.
Refacing costs just as much as getting new cabinets most of the time.

atroop, I''m in the pale blue/grey camp. Which paint brand would you buy? I''m very familiar with Benjamin Moore, Valspar, Pittsburgh, and Pratt & Lambert.

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/22/2009 11:53:06 AM
Author: Linda W

Date: 7/22/2009 10:43:11 AM
Author: purrfectpear

LOVE this color PP. We have the same color in our downstairs bathroom.
Another fan of Silver Sage. I have my bedroom painted Silver Sage with a lot of white and it''s a gorgeous colour.

If you like light blue/grey tones I''d highly recommend looking at Farrow & Ball ''Light Blue.'' I have my kitchen done in it and I love it. It''s subtle but with enough colour saturation to avoided that dreaded light blue ''baby''s room blue''- it''s a really fantastic blue/grey. I tried to have it colour matched in Behr paint (as I do with everything else) but Farrow & Ball paint is very chalky and matte- it''s gorgeous and the Behr just didn''t cut it this time.
7.gif
It ended up costing me 2 gallons to get it right!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I''m in the green group because blue is a color that is not really great for a kitchen and I think you can get a similar look with a green (especially a color like Silver Sage). Blue can be unappetizing, which is why it''s not really a color we consume in our foods and it''s very cool so it needs to be balanced with some warmth in the room (perhaps through woods). Now,don''t get me wrong, I have seen some beautiful blue kitchens and if you want to sate the appetite, then it might be the answer for you. However, when I think of kitchens as the heart of the home, I picture them warm and inviting.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2009 1:28:33 AM
Author: heraanderson
I''m in the green group because blue is a color that is not really great for a kitchen and I think you can get a similar look with a green (especially a color like Silver Sage). Blue can be unappetizing, which is why it''s not really a color we consume in our foods and it''s very cool so it needs to be balanced with some warmth in the room (perhaps through woods). Now,don''t get me wrong, I have seen some beautiful blue kitchens and if you want to sate the appetite, then it might be the answer for you. However, when I think of kitchens as the heart of the home, I picture them warm and inviting.
Ditto on that. First let me say I''m a warm-color person. Cool colors have never done it for me. However, recently, for the first time in my life, I find myself attracted to certain blues. It''s not been enough to make me do a blue room yet, but I''d almost seriously consider it. Trust me: that''s HUGE. That said however, I too think of kitchens as warm and energy-laden rooms. I wouldn''t want something "restful" in the kitchen, not even a small one. I tried to hit a balance then: the warm yellow walls - understated, the travertine tile - visual interest so there was some texture, and then the red wall for energy and "POP". I''m still not sure I succeeded in that. I didn''t post a picture of the entire wall - it is broken by a window AND a door. But I''ve gotten enough good comments from people, that I do think it is a bit right.

Oh, and as far as I''ve ever been able to tell, we don''t consume blue foods, because there are none. If anyone knows of any I''d be thrilled to know what they are? (blueberries when scrubbed and/or crushed, are purple, so that one is out)

Kay

Ideal_Rock
With white cabinets and stainless steel appliances, I would go with a pale blue or green. My first choice would be a watery green with just a hint of blue, like the color of sea glass.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2009 6:58:00 AM
Author: ksinger
Date: 7/24/2009 1:28:33 AM

Author: heraanderson

Ditto on that. First let me say I''m a warm-color person. Cool colors have never done it for me. However, recently, for the first time in my life, I find myself attracted to certain blues. It''s not been enough to make me do a blue room yet, but I''d almost seriously consider it. Trust me: that''s HUGE. That said however, I too think of kitchens as warm and energy-laden rooms. I wouldn''t want something ''restful'' in the kitchen, not even a small one. I tried to hit a balance then: the warm yellow walls - understated, the travertine tile - visual interest so there was some texture, and then the red wall for energy and ''POP''. I''m still not sure I succeeded in that. I didn''t post a picture of the entire wall - it is broken by a window AND a door. But I''ve gotten enough good comments from people, that I do think it is a bit right.

Oh, and as far as I''ve ever been able to tell, we don''t consume blue foods, because there are none. If anyone knows of any I''d be thrilled to know what they are? (blueberries when scrubbed and/or crushed, are purple, so that one is out)

I mean that blue is an unappetizing color because it''s a color we don''t eat and may even associate with food gone bad (mold).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results